Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcfxYkky61w

Tasteless has been casting random ladder matches between pros. I don't think he has casted any crazy games yet, but they have been fun to watch between ASL videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

But that's twice we've seen long-distance gas mining for a ZvZ timing attack in this ASL. Even if it's never going to be a thing on ladder, we seem scarily close to the point where it's a fixture of the pro-game meta. Next season it'll be normalised and we'll be hearing Artosis sermonising: "Jaedong should have known to scout for gas caravans and the reason he lost is because he didn't"

yeah but the previous time it happened it was barely long distance because of the weird mechanics of mining gas when the gas is next to the ramp

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Heavy_D posted:

But that's twice we've seen long-distance gas mining for a ZvZ timing attack in this ASL. Even if it's never going to be a thing on ladder, we seem scarily close to the point where it's a fixture of the pro-game meta. Next season it'll be normalised and we'll be hearing Artosis sermonising: "Jaedong should have known to scout for gas caravans and the reason he lost is because he didn't"

Not to brag, but I've been doing that for 25+ years now :agesilaus:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I loved the loser's match in Group B. :getin:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think Mini is my favorite player outside of the guys I have nostalgia for from the 2000s. There is no more perfect player than someone who can just utterly humiliate someone with his wacky builds and cheese or lose in really funny ways.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Next round of 16 group is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AIhgAibaII

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMTRqbZ0Gk

2:01:15

OH MY GOD

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009

holy poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

looking at supplies, that was at least 15 scvs with one mine rofl

also soulkey got a hell of a generous draw for his side of the bracket, maybe this'll finally be his season

i have definitely doomed him to not making it out of ro8 by posting this

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I mean, Best was probably going to win anyway, but that was incredible

also what happened to Best in that group he made a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Wow :nms: that you sick gently caress

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ro8 match 1

I thought it was a good match, even though it was a 3-0

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elyv posted:

Ro8 match 1

I thought it was a good match, even though it was a 3-0

i uh, don't agree

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i uh, don't agree

two good macro games and a good cheese defense, I'm ok with that

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elyv posted:

two good macro games and a good cheese defense, I'm ok with that

to me it just looked more like hero played like a complete scrub

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

actions games from that day were brutal too 'it looks like he's playing placement matches'

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 21, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwJ_OHJBzU

e: goddrat that series rocked

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 22, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Artosis: He's probably going to go into a defensive mech build.
Tasteless: I see he's getting the armory, is there any chance he goes mech here?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

MassRafTer posted:

Artosis: He's probably going to go into a defensive mech build.
Tasteless: I see he's getting the armory, is there any chance he goes mech here?

Not a single protoss involved, you can't expect more than auto pilot from Tasteless. Incredible series though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Great match

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
mini vs sharp is a knife fight

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

mini vs sharp is a knife fight

Really fun, and sometimes funny series.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kinda surprised sharp made it to ro8 to begin with. also mini seems even more tilt-able than usual this season for whatever reason so good chance he doesn't make it to finals, whether he is facing action or effort in semis.

i still think effort takes this season. given their one game this season, action is prolly his biggest obstacle, but if he takes down action i think he waltzes to the championship

e:oh also as i was writing that the final ro8 got posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nqOJlWGXpI

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 29, 2023

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

E: Too bad the series was so one-sided and that game 3 sucked though

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 29, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

action was extremely distressed at the end of game 1, i think he was on tilt for games 2 and 3

effort gonna win this asl

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

E: Too bad the series was so one-sided and that game 3 sucked though

And the devourers still lost to mutas + scourge. Kind of shows how bad the devourer is.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DTurtle posted:

And the devourers still lost to mutas + scourge. Kind of shows how bad the devourer is.
scourge appeared to hard counter them in that game, how universally applicable that is I don't know

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://youtu.be/H9lQy3VwlYk

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Khorne posted:

scourge appeared to hard counter them in that game, how universally applicable that is I don't know
I do wonder if Action would have won game 1 in that first (?) devourer engagement, where he got up to 4 spores on Effort’s mutas. That is 12 extra damage per attack (so basically double damage) plus also slowing down Effort’smuta‘s attacks by a good amount. I feel like that would have more than compensated for the lower amounts of mutas Action had.

comedyblissoption posted:

https://youtu.be/H9lQy3VwlYk
To be fair, devourers are a support unit. Sprinkle in a couple of mutas with the devourers into that fight, and it would be a massacre of the pure muta stack.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 29, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

DTurtle posted:

To be fair, devourers are a support unit. Sprinkle in a couple of mutas with the devourers into that fight, and it would be a massacre of the pure muta stack.
that's true. devourers may have been overbuilt, but maybe they are too vulnerable to expert scourge control even if used in a support role

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've seen a few attempts at using Devourers in ZvZ, but I don't recall seeing them used successfully. Every attempt end up like game 1 - the Mutalisks dodge the Devourers, which then get wrecked by Scourge.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am not even sure what Devourers are suppose to do? What is their role?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mooseontheloose posted:

their acid spores weaken armor and slow attacks. on paper having a few mixed in with mutas could be great, in practice i cannot actually recall it ever working, at least in modern starcraft. i'm sure someone could find some games from like the gomtv era where it worked or something, i dunno.

action maybe could have made it work by turtling more, but effort really duped him into believing he had to attack in with that queen's nest he cancelled after it got scouted. i also feel like action made like twice as many devourers as he needed to, acid spores do stack but only up to 3 times i think? so he overproduced them for sure. and unlike soulkey overproducing queens vs. jyj, you can't really utilize excess devourers in any meaningful way, their dps is bad and they are completely un-microable

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 30, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Devourers are a force multiplier. Every stack of spores adds 1 damage to every attack dealt to that unit. In addition, for every stack of spores up to 7 the attack is reduced by 1/8th additive, so at 7 or more stacks, the attack speed is only 1/8th of the normal attack speed.

Devourer acid spores stack up to 9.

At 4 stacks, a muta’s attack does 13 + 7 + 5 = 25 damage instead of the normal 9 + 3 + 1 = 13. So a doubling of damage dealt to the mutas affected by the spores.

At 4 stacks, the enemy muta‘s attack speed is reduced by half, attacking only half as often as is normal. So halving the damage dealt by the mutas affected.

So basically at 4 spores the player with devourers needs 1/4th of the mutas of the enemy in order to be on an equal footing.

Effort really played Action there with the fake queen‘s nest. But I think that Action still would have won if he had stayed and fought with his largest wave of devourers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Artosis casted a Flash vs Stork ladder game that is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-PXmOELAw

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIALkFIzjHw

the games are so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

few things in life make me happier than good hold position lurkers

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Love how we make it all the way to game 7 and then we finally get to see soulkey guardians!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

few things in life make me happier than good hold position lurkers

him splitting off a small, even number of lings & a muta or two to make it look like a rally point & then moving them "late" so rush could see them was great and tastosis didn't even mention that aspect of the fake

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=608lhcWH52I

The first two games are out of this world.

The rest...not so much.

I don't usually listen to the interviews but I had to this time and the interviewer's first question to Mini had the vibes of "Mr. Burns your campaign seems to have the momentum of a run away freight train. Why are you so popular?" except completely justified, maybe understating how good Mini was.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 7, 2023