Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Decided to start on the Misty DLC before Baldur's Gate 3 takes over all my gaming time and on mission three of the new chapter so far. That was a surprisingly wholesome mission outro and I liked how a lot of the relationship traits shifted after it to represent everyone's character growth. Also finally understanding what is happening with Heixing, holy poo poo, but also lol, that makes perfect sense. Also Anne has parents and child protective services should take her away. As far as character builds go, everyone¹ is doing fine, I'll have to shift Giselle back into the taming Hunter to get these mungos, as my current trapper build has 0 survivability.

¹My Sion kills anything when he acts every two days, but I feel I could do something for his speed. Maybe try him out as a Battlemag as I never made that work? Anyone has a decent build to share?

Also same for Misty, I've been away for too long and I forgot most of what I knew about builds and I am still getting used to her kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I gave Sion an all-lightning Black Mage build and it's pretty much exactly the same as before. Same strengths, same flaws.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's nothing wrong with glass cannon sion, but he does need some speed. that's something (ugh) crafting can help with.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
For Sion: you can get his base speed quite high with Accelerate Nerve Network and the Nerve Stimulus mastery set. Besides that it's all about the Overflowing energy mastery, which reduces action time every time you gain SP while overcharge is active. If you also get the Reinforced Nerve Network mastery set then you have +75% lightning SP from ability, so this is quite effective.

The rest probably doesn't matter that much. This is what I'm running now, but I'm sure many other builds with the same ideas can work. Black mage is better if you want to act often, because they can reduce cast time a ton + the 10 AT reduction from Magical Acceleration set (they also deal more damage).

I don't think it's necessary to get "+ overcharge duration" masteries because getting to 100 SP is so fast.

That said, I'm now on my third run (this time cruel/challenge) and I still never found a Leton build I like.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

For Sion: you can get his base speed quite high with Accelerate Nerve Network and the Nerve Stimulus mastery set. Besides that it's all about the Overflowing energy mastery, which reduces action time every time you gain SP while overcharge is active. If you also get the Reinforced Nerve Network mastery set then you have +75% lightning SP from ability, so this is quite effective.

The rest probably doesn't matter that much. This is what I'm running now, but I'm sure many other builds with the same ideas can work. Black mage is better if you want to act often, because they can reduce cast time a ton + the 10 AT reduction from Magical Acceleration set (they also deal more damage).

I don't think it's necessary to get "+ overcharge duration" masteries because getting to 100 SP is so fast.

That said, I'm now on my third run (this time cruel/challenge) and I still never found a Leton build I like.

Thanks! Accelerate Nerve Network and its set and Overflowing are what's missing on my Sion, I'll see what I can do fit that in.

I am not entirely happy with Leton, but I have two decent builds for him, one a super fast dancer that's a dodge tank (so he dies the moment a sniper looks at him) and whose main purpose is to freeze people with grenades and his skills.

The other is a Martial Artist who's a legit tank and packs a mean counter-attack. He's good enough to just stand there and beat up Destrons and is what I've been using during the DLC.

(nevermind the empty slots, I haven't bothered to update either build with the level ups from the DLC, [edit]I have just added Veteran and Massiveness to the MA build to complete the Mountain and Undefeated sets to make him way tankier)

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 4, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Another day, another umprompted flashback into a character's childhood (new story mission).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ZearothK posted:

The other is a Martial Artist who's a legit tank and packs a mean counter-attack. He's good enough to just stand there and beat up Destrons and is what I've been using during the DLC.

This is pretty similar to my Leton. It's kind of a niche use case but I leave him parked at a chokepoint or next to a Destron and he turns into a hell of a reaction tank. The dude has committed crab genocide while the rest of the group runs off somewhere else :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i puzzled out how superstar works, but it's still way too micromanagement. simple martial artist leton builds suit me better.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Clarste posted:

Another day, another umprompted flashback into a character's childhood (new story mission).

I'd hardly call this one unprompted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This last mission really kicked my rear end. Albus, Bianca, Ray, Irene and Anne went down super early and I almost reset, but I stuck by it and by the end it was just Giselle and Kylie standing, both in their fourth summons. Eight Destrons LMAO on top of the Tri-Serpents and the Ranger/Sniper hell of these new mercenaries. Also VHPD were actually pretty useful? I guess they've got decent mastery sets now.

Next one should be the final DLC story mission, I think? Misty's story can probably get to a natural conclusion. I expect the level 60 cap to be the final increase, because I am not sure the game can take more power scaling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

More levels without more mastery slots are kind of pointless anyway.

I beat the mission without the police (I always retreat them immediatey) but only Misty, Alisa, and Bianca survived. The biggest problem was that you start kind of surrounded so eventually they just crashed into my backline with robots.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Childhood flashback? New grueling mission? Making the sickos face as I try and find time in my schedule for some uncut Troubleshooter action.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clarste posted:

More levels without more mastery slots are kind of pointless anyway.

I beat the mission without the police (I always retreat them immediatey) but only Misty, Alisa, and Bianca survived. The biggest problem was that you start kind of surrounded so eventually they just crashed into my backline with robots.

What's your Bianca like? Mine has been completely useless against these new enemies. Snipers just shrug off her attacks with Impulse Fields and instantly kill her if they get their responsive fires on, she also gets completely shut down if a Ranger shoots in her general direction.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Managed to clear the last map on cruel/challenge with high risk/reward and paranoid active, but it did take me three attempts. Guess I should give the mungo map another try now.

I have no idea why the devs decided to remove the "blessing of avalon requires 30 vigor to activate". Second wind + enough rest means you get 10 vigor every time you have less than 33% health so you need to be quite unlucky to die. The rest of his toolkit was pretty incredible already and wind veil is great. I had Albus running around on his own while the other 9 stuck together (2 died extremely early).

I wish this game had a modding community. Best would be a mod that just shuffles the ESP types around of the non-spirit heroes so you can have a new and different playthrough (switching some specific classes where it makes sense would also be cool). Second best would be a mod that removes the "+1 cooldown on esp abilities" of silence shot, removing the silence status effect should be enough to cast ESP abilities again in my opinion.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 14, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Since I don't want to start another game while waiting for baldur's gate 3 I've been playing this one a bit more.

Current goal: find out who is capable of soloing "gold hand backstreet" on the highest difficulty settings. To clarify: that's the "very hard" level 57 mission with 45 mungo's to defeat.

Findings when testing with beasts:
- Both albino negoori (ice) and big mud negoori (earth) had a pretty easy time. It seems quite likely that every negoori is able to solo the map if optimized to do it once you have the trinket that Ben drops ("if you damage 5 enemies while it's not your turn, it becomes your turn").
- Albino crabmit (wind) has the speed run record and is also really easy. I think the other crabmit's will have more issues since wind veil seems mandatory.
- I got quite close with gold wing (fire dorori), I think that should be possible as well if I play it better.
- I'm sure there must be some mungo build capable of doing this, but haven't found one yet. Currently trying with the great swordsman.
Obviously I'm not going to try every beast out there, I'm just trying to do it with every SP element (and perhaps every creature type afterwards).

The humans have a much more difficult time since they don't have access to predator. That said, albus can do it very easily. Alisa probably could as well, but my only attempt I didn't play well enough. Haven't tried the others yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

What's your Bianca like? Mine has been completely useless against these new enemies. Snipers just shrug off her attacks with Impulse Fields and instantly kill her if they get their responsive fires on, she also gets completely shut down if a Ranger shoots in her general direction.

Ah, sorry, missed this post. To be honest, just because she survived doesn't mean she was an MVP, but I didn't find her completely useless anyway. Here's my mastery build:

Mostly just your standard "teleport around killing everyone in one hit" build, but I guess the slightly interesting part would be Blood Witch and Witch of Envy, which turns every attack she does into an AOE stun around her. Which both keeps her from getting killed immediately and prevents enemies from blocking, which is the normally the main thing stopping her from killing everything. Impulse Fields are also very annoying of course, but she has enough CC to do... something about it. Improvise. You have to watch out for the bleed on her normal attack though, since that breaks the Wind Chains right before the enemy takes an action. I did in fact use her to rush one of the sniper towers and kill everyone up there, though.

As a back-up, she has Impulse Fields of her own, along with the Draki's Fancy Scale accessory, which gives you an immediate turn whenever you take massive damage. So even if she gets shot once, she gets a turn to heal up and move into a better position or whatever. I have that combo on most of my squishies, honestly.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 25, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Been playing this game a little and I feel like I missed something. Not sure what mission I did last but it was I think the 2nd one after you get the first party member. I had a normal mission, a hard mission, and a super hard mission. I've done the normal so all I've got left now is the hard and super hard missions and that doesn't seem right? Not seeing the icon anywhere in the base that has typically sign-posted how to progress. Did I miss something or should I do this hard mission?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Been playing this game a little and I feel like I missed something. Not sure what mission I did last but it was I think the 2nd one after you get the first party member. I had a normal mission, a hard mission, and a super hard mission. I've done the normal so all I've got left now is the hard and super hard missions and that doesn't seem right? Not seeing the icon anywhere in the base that has typically sign-posted how to progress. Did I miss something or should I do this hard mission?

Sometimes the next plot mission is triggered by an icon that’s a character’s face and labeled like Sion’s Request. Should appear if you are in the far left of your rooms. See anything like that?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Smiling Knight posted:

Sometimes the next plot mission is triggered by an icon that’s a character’s face and labeled like Sion’s Request. Should appear if you are in the far left of your rooms. See anything like that?

I do not. Here's what I got.

If Don has something for me, he isn't coughing it up, just sells me food best as I can tell.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Troubleshooter is a game of many systems. Some are intricate and fascinating to play around, but others… others are clearly pointless and remain from earlier plans for the game.

The “Normal”, “Hard” etc. descriptions are based exclusively on the number of enemies on that map. You can safely ignore them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Red missions are plot missions.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

nrook posted:

Troubleshooter is a game of many systems. Some are intricate and fascinating to play around, but others… others are clearly pointless and remain from earlier plans for the game.

The “Normal”, “Hard” etc. descriptions are based exclusively on the number of enemies on that map. You can safely ignore them.

Alright, guess I'll do those missions and see where that takes me. Thanks y'all!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I recommend to do only story missions until you recruit the character that can tame/train beasts. The game opens up when you have more heroes.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Also make sure to swap her into hunter at least once briefly to unlock beast taming instead of leaving her as sniper for a dozen hours like I did.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I don't like these clever monkeys or their big angry friend

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome to monkey hell.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite type of game balance is, "gently caress you. gently caress you."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

My favorite type of game balance is, "gently caress you. gently caress you."

And that's why I keep hitting the TS juice.

Clarste posted:

Ah, sorry, missed this post. To be honest, just because she survived doesn't mean she was an MVP, but I didn't find her completely useless anyway. Here's my mastery build:

Mostly just your standard "teleport around killing everyone in one hit" build, but I guess the slightly interesting part would be Blood Witch and Witch of Envy, which turns every attack she does into an AOE stun around her. Which both keeps her from getting killed immediately and prevents enemies from blocking, which is the normally the main thing stopping her from killing everything. Impulse Fields are also very annoying of course, but she has enough CC to do... something about it. Improvise. You have to watch out for the bleed on her normal attack though, since that breaks the Wind Chains right before the enemy takes an action. I did in fact use her to rush one of the sniper towers and kill everyone up there, though.

As a back-up, she has Impulse Fields of her own, along with the Draki's Fancy Scale accessory, which gives you an immediate turn whenever you take massive damage. So even if she gets shot once, she gets a turn to heal up and move into a better position or whatever. I have that combo on most of my squishies, honestly.

Thanks! That's a neat way to go and I should probably steal the Impulse Fields + Draki's Fancy Scale combo too. My Bianca as is is just a Black Mage that kills anything without Impulse Fields in a single hit, but it is probably overkill for 97% of the things in the game, I'll be trying that Witch.

Walh Hara posted:

Since I don't want to start another game while waiting for baldur's gate 3 I've been playing this one a bit more.

Current goal: find out who is capable of soloing "gold hand backstreet" on the highest difficulty settings. To clarify: that's the "very hard" level 57 mission with 45 mungo's to defeat.

Findings when testing with beasts:
- Both albino negoori (ice) and big mud negoori (earth) had a pretty easy time. It seems quite likely that every negoori is able to solo the map if optimized to do it once you have the trinket that Ben drops ("if you damage 5 enemies while it's not your turn, it becomes your turn").
- Albino crabmit (wind) has the speed run record and is also really easy. I think the other crabmit's will have more issues since wind veil seems mandatory.
- I got quite close with gold wing (fire dorori), I think that should be possible as well if I play it better.
- I'm sure there must be some mungo build capable of doing this, but haven't found one yet. Currently trying with the great swordsman.
Obviously I'm not going to try every beast out there, I'm just trying to do it with every SP element (and perhaps every creature type afterwards).

The humans have a much more difficult time since they don't have access to predator. That said, albus can do it very easily. Alisa probably could as well, but my only attempt I didn't play well enough. Haven't tried the others yet.

While I am here begging for builds, would you mind sharing those Negoori builds? My Big Mud is one of my best, but not "solo contemporary violent case CC Paranoid" tier, so clearly a lot of room for improvement there.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

While I am here begging for builds, would you mind sharing those Negoori builds? My Big Mud is one of my best, but not "solo contemporary violent case CC Paranoid" tier, so clearly a lot of room for improvement there.

Note: it's not the violet case, just the regular blue "very hard" one.

Here you go:

Note: Mutant is only because otherwise he has no good way of clearing contraction/fear which the mungo's love too much. Otherwise I'd get heavy strike to complete the "unstoppable beast" set.

His stats:

As I mentioned before this becomes a lot better once you get this item:

Combined with giselle placing traps and triggering "pincer with beasts" attacks it's actually quite easy to get to trigger this.

In hindsight the recovery training mastery was not a good pick. Something like wobbly belly or hidden wildness would have been even better.

With regards to the albino negoori:

The stats are obviously worse, but the beast king set gives +40% damage done and -40% damage received and forestallment+freezing attack is always awesome. If you replace keen sense with impulse fields then she can solo the mungo king if nobody else is around to trigger his passive.

When I'm posting builds, this one managed to clear the map as well without dropping below 50% health:

With brave beast and beast union that's 90% block (not counting bullet slice), and each block reduces his AT time by 30.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 31, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

Note: it's not the violet case, just the regular blue "very hard" one.

Here you go:

Awesome! I still have to hit Ben and get his item, too much of a backlog here and I am missing some of the newer masteries too, but I can already improve those boards. Thanks!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

New patch, new violent mission. It felt much easier than the last one because there were less monkeys per capita.

Also comes with new elemental masteries for all! And maybe I just didn't notice this earlier, but higher tiers of the basic elemental ESP craftable gear sets? The lightning one is pretty good on a full lightning Sion, the others kinda suck because they have no speed on them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

That Magic Swordsman, Grigori or something, they added in the latest violent mission is one durable SOB. Classic example of the devs going “see how you like it.” Last attempt, he tied up Kylie, Giselle, and their pets for the entire mission. Had to bring over Irene, have Ray give her overdrive, and then chain two additional moves after the overdrive move to eliminate him. Finally got that achievement on Irene at least!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I loving love the fact that the nicest dude on the roster was named SION BLOODWALKER

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
The nicest dude is his boyfriend Heixing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

That Magic Swordsman, Grigori or something, they added in the latest violent mission is one durable SOB. Classic example of the devs going “see how you like it.” Last attempt, he tied up Kylie, Giselle, and their pets for the entire mission. Had to bring over Irene, have Ray give her overdrive, and then chain two additional moves after the overdrive move to eliminate him. Finally got that achievement on Irene at least!

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice that guy. Had way more trouble with the ordinary monkeys and spiders.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice that guy. Had way more trouble with the ordinary monkeys and spiders.

First time through, same for me. Took him out before he could get his stacking buffs up, I guess. Second time I foolishly gave him a lower priority.

Spiders? Cannot believe you’re calling out the spiders instead of Negoori, who just munch on anyone foolish to get into melee range and do terrible things to squishies. Thank goodness they lack impulse fields.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The spiders climb up onto the ceiling and the boss has Phoenix which is always annoying.

Actually, now that I think about it I did try to have Irene solo the sword dude once, and it was just a stalemate until I brought Sion over.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

The spiders climb up onto the ceiling and the boss has Phoenix which is always annoying.

Actually, now that I think about it I did try to have Irene solo the sword dude once, and it was just a stalemate until I brought Sion over.

Battle Mage Irene is an absolute champion. Haven’t touched her build in two DLCs. Never dies, huge damage. So long as she stays away from enemy rangers and responsive attacks, she just keeps trucking, eliminating one enemy per turn.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very important to have someone who can get up in an rear end in a top hat boss' face. the meaner bosses mostly can't be one-shotted. sure, irene can do 1s1k/catharsis builds perfectly well, but no other human party member can get as tanky as her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alisa can pretty much solo anything in the game.