Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

1glitch0 posted:

Now that there's cracks showing in his career I don't know if going back to rasslin would create the right perception for his Brand.

Being part of a very successful TV program might help his brand.

Getting millions of dollars from Saudi Arabia or whatever might help.

Just betting on brand rejuvenation for delivering a "long-awaited" marquee match might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The way the SAG strike is going right now, Rock can get paid $8m to show up at Wrestlemania and break the line, WWE will bend over backwards thinking he'll wrestle, and the Rock will still say "This doesn't work for me brother" and not wrestle, derailing another year of wrestlemania

bartok
May 10, 2006

We're all assuming The Rock will come back for Wrestlemania when he would make way more money wrestling Roman at Blood Money. Didn't they bill that first one as bigger than Wrestlemania?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bartok posted:

We're all assuming The Rock will come back for Wrestlemania when he would make way more money wrestling Roman at Blood Money. Didn't they bill that first one as bigger than Wrestlemania?

Their Saudi deal goes until 2028, if they wanted to stretch it they easily could. "Only in the third inning" right now for the Reigns run, would still be the seventh inning by then

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strike may help Rock's movie career by placing time between his bombs and next project too...

I don't think he's wrestling again just cause he doesn't want to take the bumps

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its time for the rock to return and pay his dues

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Rock Lesnar

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Brock Lobster

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The thing about The Rock's movie career, (and in contrast to the other big two wrestlers that went to Hollywood Cena and Batista), is:

Batista is an actor, Cena is a comedian, but Rock is a "movie star".

An actor will always be able to act, a comedian will mostly stay funny. But a "movie star" is either white hot super duper famous and powerful and adored, or stone cold, dropped and forgotten the next day. Especially an action "movie star" like the Rock is.

It's exactly what happened with Black Adam. From being a glorious superstar one day, to "meh" the next, due to one misjudged "product".

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I really can’t think of a single role in the past 10 years where I enjoyed what The Rock was doing. Its just serious action Dwayne or goofy Dwayne and they’re both extremely boring. It’s just baffling.

John Cena is light years ahead of Dwayne for the goofy roles and its insulting to even compare him to Batista in any way so I won’t.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

We'll never have another Rundown or Southland Tales :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d be ok with another Hobbes and Shaw

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Didn't mind the new Jumanji movies.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

as penance for black adam the rock should have to do another season of ballers

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't even think of what his next project is. I guess he's gone crawling back to the Fast and Furious main series. But his DC stuff is dead. He has no successful franchise of his own. His TV series got canceled.

I don't think they can keep making Jumanji films, but even then those are ensemble films. I guess he can keep partnering up with Kevin Hart.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He came crawling back to Vin Diesel's Fast and Furious, yeah. Extremely humiliating considering how much he tried to make himself the hero/Vin the villain in their feud before he bailed the first time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
it owns how the rock thinks that real life is professional wrestling

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

The Rundown was a movie about how a man who refused to use guns because he was traumatized by the violence of his past found the courage to use guns to slaughter a ton of people. The 2000s are incredible and will never happen again.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Is Young Rock still going or did that get cancelled?

bartok
May 10, 2006

That Jungle Cruise movie sucked. The Rock and Emily Blunt had whatever the opposite of chemistry is. Needed way more Jesse Plemons and his German accent.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's bad but I still liked Red Notice (mainly cause I like anything Reynolds is in).
Make another one so Vince gets another Egg or something weird.

Drakkel posted:

Is Young Rock still going or did that get cancelled?

Was cancelled this past June. Had 3 seasons

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
its time to return to wrestling it is his destiny to job to brock lesnar

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MJeff posted:

I don't think Rock is coming back and I never have and I think it even less the more time passes cause the dude is in his drat 50s and tore a pec every time he wrestled a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MJeff posted:

The Rundown was a movie about how a man who refused to use guns because he was traumatized by the violence of his past found the courage to use guns to slaughter a ton of people. The 2000s are incredible and will never happen again.

Doesn't a monkey also hump his face?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

yea ok posted:

The Rock will NEVER deliver another line even half as well as "The fourth dimension will collapse in on itself...you stupid bitch."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bartok posted:

That Jungle Cruise movie sucked. The Rock and Emily Blunt had whatever the opposite of chemistry is. Needed way more Jesse Plemons and his German accent.

I call that Blindspot Chemistry

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Digital Jedi posted:

It's bad but I still liked Red Notice (mainly cause I like anything Reynolds is in).
Make another one so Vince gets another Egg or something weird.

Red Notice 2 is in production (or was), as well as a bunch of other sequels and original films. All of this doomsaying over Rock's movie career is so weird. He had a couple underperformers, but he's still one of the top actors in Hollywood and producers don't seem to be losing any faith.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
I think yall are worrying too much about the Rock's Hollywood career being over after a DC flop when the guy survived Doom and Be Cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

His last canonical wrestling appearance being on Impact is pretty funny tho.
its time for rock/alex shelley

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mrs. Dash posted:

I think yall are worrying too much about the Rock's Hollywood career being over after a DC flop when the guy survived Doom and Be Cool

he's getting old

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't even think of what his next project is. I guess he's gone crawling back to the Fast and Furious main series. But his DC stuff is dead. He has no successful franchise of his own. His TV series got canceled.

I don't think they can keep making Jumanji films, but even then those are ensemble films. I guess he can keep partnering up with Kevin Hart.

Rocky's next big bet is starring in a Doc Savage adaptation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's getting old
sos roman

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

sos roman

it fucks me up every time i remember that he was teammates with Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The poo poo is hosed up and crazy I used to listen to this CD all the way through as if it was actual music.

https://youtu.be/QRKmQ9F_5JM?si=tpKxFbZ5eZIIrFen

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's getting old

They'll be casting 75 year old The Rock in action movies 25 years from now as long as his HGH heart is still ticking. Probably in Expendibles 7 alongside Stallone's mummified rigor mortis scowled corpse

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfjdsReahs

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Rocky's next big bet is starring in a Doc Savage adaptation

Hasn't that been in production hell forever too? Like Black Adam levels of taking forever to do something with?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mrs. Dash posted:

You are entirely right. Black Adam was a superhero blockbuster released at the arse end ofan oversaturated cycle of superhero blockbusters. And it didn't lose money, just didn't make as much as Avatar. His career will be fine. He won't starve, and will continue to command multi million dollar pay days.

But also, The Rock didn't whinge and get defensive and sook as much about Doom, Be Cool, or his other flops.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

it didn't lose money

It not only lost money, the only person saying it didn't wound up being Dwayne leaking fake numbers to the press that absolutely nobody, there or including execs at Warners, was able to understand how or where he came up with

So yeah, I don't trust his stans especially saying he'll just be fine because he's oh so smart #alwayswinning

BrigadierSensible posted:

But also, The Rock didn't whinge and get defensive and sook as much about Doom, Be Cool, or his other flops.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-is-having-trouble-accepting-that-baywatch-is-a-bad-movie_n_59281ea6e4b0df34c35b6622

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Yeah Black Adam was a really bad look for him in multiple ways. I think if it had gone better, there’s no way he would have returned to a mainline Fast and Furious movie