Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waffle House posted:

:lol: Wow, fun facts:

In Below Zero if you ram an aggroing, snarling Cryptosuchus head-on at normal speed in a Seatruck, it will break its neck on your windscreen and die from the attempt.

I roadkilled so many of the noisy bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

My initial impressions were that the game felt smaller, but denser. I think this is still true. My first playthrough of Subnautica I played with a paper map (only crater outline and the Aurora wreck) and I think I'm going to try to find and print something similar. The game gives you broad maps soon enough that I feel like I know the shape of the surface map, at least the seaborne side. The Delta Island is a pretty good landmark, although given all the signals received my beacon list is getting quite crowded.

Going back to my original Subnautica playthrough, I deployed a number of scanner station and recharging outposts (Close to 8 I think, that was a bit more of a slog) which given the size of this space may be better suited. Although, I have just found enough magnetite to upgrade my (BZ) scanner room to 500m and I kind of wish the map would scale down a bit for the space. It's nice that I can scan for rare things I'm missing (also FINALLY have the hud chip) but it's actually rather frustrating to try to path the route from the map if you can only find 2-3 in a remote cave.

It's nice that ion power cells are unlocked so much earlier, so I probably don't need to include charging stations if I build many outposts. That and all the nuclear loot from the Mercury (nevermind the ore) means power has been an absolute non-issue. The recyclotron is a neat perk, and I haven't even taken out my prawn for mining yet, although I'm going to want more copper soon. I don't know what we're supposed to use this absolute huge amount of silver for. Maybe I'll fill a spare locker with wiring kits.

The resource mix change from the original and the broad scale removal of metal salvage (although fragments make up for it somewhat) I think are a positive change. Generally I'm swimming in Titanium and have been setting out on expeditions for specific things. With a double storage seatruck I can carry a fair amount of goods (although the various small-ish storage lockers are a bit of a bother) and so my resource shortages have moved from Ti/Copper to gold, to lithium, and now back to copper and lead of all things. I'm sure lead is plentiful somewhere.

I feel like I'm missing something as I still haven't found the first tank upgrade, exploring with 75s of air is a bit of a bother, but with vehicle support it's been manageable. I've been using the air bladder as a safety utility. Did anyone really feel like the handheld mineral scanner was useful? I'm pretty sure I'm going to relegate it to the locker now that I've a scanner room link. My limitations now are on user time to build and make a nice base as I'm full up on resources and new tools to test.

Semi-spoilerish question, Y/N
Is the magic ion quantum teleporter locker of any use? Wouldn't I need two or more? And if I build one, can it be recycled? Maybe it has a magic huge capacity.

Also I do not want to go back into the purple crystal zone.

E:

Waffle House posted:

... aggroing, snarling Cryptosuchus ...

That's my impression of most of the shallow surface level carnivores; medium sized, noisy, maybe a danger if you're out in your seaglide, but not very threatening and I acclimated quickly. I've only encountered one small leviathan at that depth that was not basically ignorable once I got my Seatruck. I do wonder about the gameplay decision to put a Seatruck defence module on Maida's table That find definitely reinforced my impression and I wonder at the different experiences of those who may have overlooked it.

Deeper though, there's spooky things down there.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I feel like I'm missing something as I still haven't found the first tank upgrade, exploring with 75s of air is a bit of a bother, but with vehicle support it's been manageable.

Same exact thing happened to me in my playthru. Just look up where it is.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Teledahn posted:

Is the magic ion quantum teleporter locker of any use? Wouldn't I need two or more? And if I build one, can it be recycled? Maybe it has a magic huge capacity.

From my experience: No, it's useless.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Teledahn posted:

That's my impression of most of the shallow surface level carnivores; medium sized, noisy, maybe a danger if you're out in your seaglide, but not very threatening and I acclimated quickly. I've only encountered one small leviathan at that depth that was not basically ignorable once I got my Seatruck. I do wonder about the gameplay decision to put a Seatruck defence module on Maida's table That find definitely reinforced my impression and I wonder at the different experiences of those who may have overlooked it.

Deeper though, there's spooky things down there.

Perchance, perhaps, do you mean those shadows in the deep that love to hug you very tightly? No, those are not so gleefully rammable. :gonk:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Teledahn posted:

I got some use out of this leaving it in my prawnsuit/sea truck I think and just loading it up with tools I don't use as frequently and other junk. I only built the one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got properly murdered by this game. My first non-glitched death.

I was exploring the Degasi base 500 metres underwater. Because of the narrow crevasse, I had taken the Seamoth down instead of the Cyclops. When I was at about half oxygen, I exited the ruins to find a giant octopus eating my Seamoth. I couldn't find a way to swim to the surface until it was much too late, and suffocated 300 metres underwater.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
subnautica.txt

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A proper full-on giant octopus/squid that wraps its tentacles around you or your craft would make a great small Leviathan. They'd probably have to spend a while working on the tentacles though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

I was exploring the Degasi base 500 metres underwater. Because of the narrow crevasse, I had taken the Seamoth down instead of the Cyclops. When I was at about half oxygen, I exited the ruins to find a giant octopus eating my Seamoth. I couldn't find a way to swim to the surface until it was much too late, and suffocated 300 metres underwater.

This is why my first game I kept an Air Bladder on me and in my quickslots at all times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does the air bladder move you up faster than just swimming? Is there something about it that I'm missing? I used it once, but that was like 2 years ago.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That one always stood out to me as an immersion breaker. I can accept that I'd get the bends swimming to the surface and pretend it wouldn't happen, but a "shoot to the surface as fast as possible" device just goes too far.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does the air bladder move you up faster than just swimming? Is there something about it that I'm missing? I used it once, but that was like 2 years ago.

Yes, and it's additive to your swimming speed so you should do both - it will even shoot you half a mile into the air if you come from deep enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It got upgraded with Below Zero and then the same was applied to the original game with version 2.0. It's really fast now and also you can suck 15 seconds of extra air out of it instead.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Air bladders are a super common safety equipment for divers even for static use

Ships that sink in harbors are deadly confusing wrecks and it ain't from the bends

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A device that quickly manufactures air underwater hardly seems like the most out-there concept in the game

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

A device that quickly manufactures air underwater hardly seems like the most out-there concept in the game

IIRC it doesn't manufacture air, it needs to be manually refilled.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's a bottle of pressurised air. Buoyancy.

The air is shot out into a balloon, the balloon displaces the water around it, creating a big upwards force from the massive mass difference between the two equal pressure systems ie the water and the diver with their stuff. Balloons are neat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was under a cave ceiling, so an air bladder wouldn't have helped. Unless it can take me to the surface even after losing consciousness.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The air bladder is highly underrated, especially when you're first starting to dive deep. I use it frequently in BZ in the Twisty Bridges when first harvesting tech on fresh games.

Chamale posted:

gently caress THOSE DICKS, THERE SPECIFICALLY, FOREVER. I LOST A CUDDLEFISH EGG ONCE THAT EXACT SAME WAY :argh:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Bladderfish offer an alternative emergency air supply if you prefer. Each raw Bladderfish you eat gives you 15 seconds of air, so I normally carry 4 and devote my first Alien Containment to them. 60 seconds doesn't sound like much, but the only time I ever asphyxiated with this strategy is when I lost my SeaMoth to a big boi in the Lost River cause there's no 1 minute exit strategy there, and even then I died 50 ft from a working base.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why not just take a spare air tank?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was going to say, you can just carry a second tank. You have to swap them manually, and it is a compromise on inventory capacity, but the game doesn't really tell you that the tank itself is holding the air, despite having an 'air bar' on the tank item.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Air tank takes up space. Fish don't once you eat 'em. As some kind of scuba magpie I can't waste an opportunity to carry more shinies home

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Plastik posted:

Bladderfish offer an alternative emergency air supply if you prefer. Each raw Bladderfish you eat gives you 15 seconds of air, so I normally carry 4 and devote my first Alien Containment to them. 60 seconds doesn't sound like much, but the only time I ever asphyxiated with this strategy is when I lost my SeaMoth to a big boi in the Lost River cause there's no 1 minute exit strategy there, and even then I died 50 ft from a working base.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel dumb, I have plainly never noticed or thought of either of these things.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
As much as I have played, it also never occurred to me until someone here mentioned it and I facepalmed.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Carrying extra tanks used to slow you down a whole lot (it didn't way back in the beta, grumble grumble). Did they change that with 2.0?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You used to have to carry airtanks in your inventory during early access iirc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Extra air tanks still slow you down, but only the heaviest one is very noticeable; if this is worth the space and slowdown is strictly personal preference.

Did they backport the BZ air bladder mechanics? I can't recall of that was a mod or not, but it was great.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Or you can be a boss and use a seaglide with the swim charge fins and carry everything you want at max speed.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I had a near death experience after going on a super long oxygen plant fueled sea glide trip into a cave in Below Zero. It turned into the area at the bottom of the main mine shaft which I hadn’t seen yet so I looked around all excited and lost my sense of direction. Finally found the main shaft and got to the surface while the screen was going black. Super fun and honestly stressful.

If you treat the oxygen plants in BZ as an excuse to do long-range sea glide exploration it’s fun but super risky and adds a nice layer to the game. Don’t wait for a prawn suit get in there and take your life in your hands.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They knew what they were doing when they gave you that nice long cushion after the screen goes dark and before you actually die.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I hold my breath every time the screen blacks during a resurface. It’s very tense and a fine line between cursing my shiny attracted brain and celebrating.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Noot fish are very silly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

SN and BZ both under $10 on Switch until the 23rd if anyone wanted a mobile version.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/subnautica-switch/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/subnautica-below-zero-switch/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Will probably be janky AF and does not star Dennis Hopper.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2080690/Sunkenland/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I had entirely missed that there was a hand tracking mod for OG Subnautica VR: https://github.com/Okabintaro/SubmersedVR

But apparently now someone has ported that to BZ as well: https://github.com/jbusfield/SubmersedVR/releases/tag/0.2.0-bz

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Double posting but it's been over a week so whatever, streamer/youtuber CarlSagan42 has been playing Subnautica for the first time recently, doing a hardcore run blind. He's just coming to the end now and had a bit of an incident coming back to his base: https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianTangentialGoldfishDancingBanana-1IjIQDF6fY1Et8eZ

I haven't seen a clip yet but a few minutes later he went in the old lifepod and discovered it was all broken. I honestly had no idea you could re-break the lifepod by crashing in to it.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Man, I'd forgotten how deep the AI voice of the cyclops was. Badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm finally playing through this game after wanting to for years! I'm going to make hella slow progress because I have a toddler so I'll get like 3 hours a week tops.

I was originally going to say "boy this sure is fun, a game where the entire gameplay is swimming and resource collecting and making the best of sparse materials!" but from context clues, it seems like the general gameplay shifts a LOT from that.

Anything else I should know getting started? My friend says "build lots of small bases and use beacons liberally"