Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scientastic posted:

One thing that has been bugging me since I heard about the ban on the Abaya: do French school children typically wear uniform? If not, is there anything to stop non-Muslims wearing an abaya to school?

It's considered a religious symbol and all religious symbols are banned in schools in France (no uniforms though).

That's the justification anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
dude had been in prison for 6 months and he hasn't even had a trial yet

I think trying to do a runner is fair game tbh

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Private Speech posted:

It's considered a religious symbol and all religious symbols are banned in schools in France (no uniforms though).

That's the justification anyway.

Yeah, but I’m not a Muslim, if I wear a nice long flowing dress that keeps me covered up, what’s the religious symbolism of that? It’s nonsensical to ban clothing on those grounds. I would understand if most children were wearing uniform and some were disobeying uniform rules to wear different clothing on religious grounds. I know it’s French institutional Islamophobia, but I just didn’t understand from any of the reporting whether it was uniform enforcement or simple intolerance

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Macron is perma-threatened on the right by Le Pen, so stuff like this - in the guise of "we're all the same" liberal hand-waving - is just a way for him to score some easy points.
I mean, what are Muslims gonna do, vote for Le Pen?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, but I’m not a Muslim, if I wear a nice long flowing dress that keeps me covered up, what’s the religious symbolism of that? It’s nonsensical to ban clothing on those grounds. I would understand if most children were wearing uniform and some were disobeying uniform rules to wear different clothing on religious grounds. I know it’s French institutional Islamophobia, but I just didn’t understand from any of the reporting whether it was uniform enforcement or simple intolerance

Apparently they turned away someone in kimono.

French have some odd clothing rules eg in a public pool men have to wear budgie smugglers not shorts - my brother in law was forced to go buy a pair to swim in a hotel pool. I think you can wear more in some private clubs etc. Women have to wear 'normal' swimsuits or bikinis. Again can cover up more for whatever reason in private places.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently they turned away someone in kimono.

French have some odd clothing rules eg in a public pool men have to wear budgie smugglers not shorts - my brother in law was forced to go buy a pair to swim in a hotel pool. I think you can wear more in some private clubs etc. Women have to wear 'normal' swimsuits or bikinis. Again can cover up more for whatever reason in private places.

It's supposedly a hygeine thing, the idea is that shorts men could wear anywhere and get them dirty and then contaminate the water. But they wouldn't walk around in speedos so when they put them on for the pool they'd be clean on. At least that's the excuse they give, religious conservatives have never needed an excuse to police what people wear.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Isomermaid posted:

It's supposedly a hygeine thing, the idea is that shorts men could wear anywhere and get them dirty and then contaminate the water. But they wouldn't walk around in speedos so when they put them on for the pool they'd be clean on. At least that's the excuse they give, religious conservatives have never needed an excuse to police what people wear.

This is correct and is the explanation for why you see horrendously overweight men on Mediterranean beaches in budgie smugglers - it’s ingrained into them as part of French Piscine culture

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
or maybe they just know how to party, op

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/RJPartington/status/1699793637683683365

core annual income of £16m, and they're on the hook for £64m in annual servicing of £1.2bn in loans that the previous (Tory) leadership took out to acquire 'assets' that are now worth £600m less than at time of purchasing :thumbsup:

Just for some context lost at the national level.

The “swimming pool” is called Pool in the Park, consisting of a leisure centre, a proper swimming pool, a large shallower pool for kids/weaker swimmers. It is surrounded by art projects, gardens, a large green used for various sports, a skate park, mini golf, a play park and tennis courts. A huge indoor sports centre adjoins the site.

It has been an absolutely critical hub for the entire town of Woking for as long as I’ve been alive.

If it shuts down, nothing like it would ever replace it.

Big up the old Tory council and their bff developer friends who bankrupted the borough.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

just absolutely blasting his trousers to atoms with how badly he's making GBS threads himself live on air

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

It's supposedly a hygeine thing, the idea is that shorts men could wear anywhere and get them dirty and then contaminate the water. But they wouldn't walk around in speedos
Macron just showing how he's never met an Anglo-Saxon man born south of the Equator.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scotsgoons I have found your quintessential national embarrassment https://twitter.com/duckyle2nd/status/1695072313123721695

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Scotsgoons I have found your quintessential national embarrassment https://twitter.com/duckyle2nd/status/1695072313123721695

My favourites are Fire Emblem Three Houses (the gayest fire emblem??), BIOSHOCK, and for some reason Megaman Zero.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, the quintessential conservativism of...Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, the beach volleyball game spin-off of a fighting game whose Wiki page contains this gem: "During the development process, creator Tomonobu Itagaki stated that he would not be adding activities like trampoline games and wet T-shirt contests to the series. He indicated that he felt that this would come off as vulgar and "show the women in a negative light"." and Quake, because I guess I wish more conservatives would try IRL rocket jumping?

Also I don't think someone with a union flag emoji can be our national embarrassment, he's shared with the rest of this shithole country.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Im the big tittie family values volleyball game in among the manly war shooting bad guy games.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 9, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimworld is a funny one because if you're playing it conservatively that just shows a lack of imagination, you can and should make a colony of big gay polycules and fire industrial quantities of corn at people to make friends with them.

Also MORROWIND the game about politicking your way through a setting that's the slightly less/diffferent kind of racist empire vs the very racist elves and you have to decide whether you want to side with the factions selling out the natural resources of the island to the imperial conquerors or the nativist isolationist slavers while also trying to destroy the living god kings who set themselves up in charge of everything. The most conservative game imaginable. Clearly the empire is the EU and house telvanni is the BNP.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 9, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hell of a lot of subtext going over a lot of heads there.

Why Silent Hill 3?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 9, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Also I don't think someone with a union flag emoji can be our national embarrassment, he's shared with the rest of this shithole country.

Is there anything more embarrassing than a Scotsman who proudly displays a Union Jack?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For the record - check his profile bio where his only claim is that he's more Scottish than the current First Minister.

Because of course he thinks that's true.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hell of a lot of subtext going over a lot of heads there.

Why Silent Hill 3?

because it's one of the canonically good ones, it's about the cool cult story that every other silent hill game is about instead of being something interesting weird and different like SH2, and it doesn't have PS1 graphics

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dabir posted:

because it's one of the canonically good ones, it's about the cool cult story that every other silent hill game is about instead of being something interesting weird and different like SH2, and it doesn't have PS1 graphics

The fact that there's a very obvious and strong thread running through the whole game concerning violence against women and the expectation of all women to become mothers is, naturally, flying miles above their heads.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stories aren't about things, to conservatives. The literal things you see on the screen are all that's happening. Silent Hill is a game about being spooked by funny-looking monsters and killing them

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dfeffel has been awarded an honorary doctorate by the National University of Lviv

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bioshock is a game about a man who builds a libertarian paradise under the sea, and everything is fine. I assume anyway, I turned it off when a whale went past in the intro because whales are the environment and the environment is woke now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The musings of a loving idiot who modded bioshock infinite so you can throw the rock and then you get to wander round the happy carnival for as long as you like.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1700630915305603255

quote:

Two men have been arrested under the Official Secrets Act, the Met Police has confirmed.

The Sunday Times reported that one of the men, in his 20s, is a parliamentary researcher accused of spying for China.

It is reported he had links to several Tory MPs, including security minister Tom Tugendhat and foreign affairs committee chairwoman Alicia Kearns.

Two of many, no doubt

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tom nervously tugging on the end of his hat.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, the quintessential conservativism of...Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, the beach volleyball game spin-off of a fighting game whose Wiki page contains this gem: "During the development process, creator Tomonobu Itagaki stated that he would not be adding activities like trampoline games and wet T-shirt contests to the series. He indicated that he felt that this would come off as vulgar and "show the women in a negative light"." and Quake, because I guess I wish more conservatives would try IRL rocket jumping?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

Is there anything more embarrassing than a Scotsman who proudly displays a Union Jack?

The majority of Scots support the union. There's some pretty well established recent and generational proof of this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The majority of Scots support the union. There's some pretty well established recent and generational proof of this.

In the same way that the majority of English people support Brexit. Which, by the by, was a bit of a mind-changer for a lot of Scots after they were told that voting to leave the UK meant voting to leave the EU.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They're still dorks, op

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This is amazing. :stonklol:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tough on people having fun, tough on the causes of people having fun

https://twitter.com/stellacreasy/status/1700803027626500126?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Labour are pro nonces

https://twitter.com/rivkahbrown/status/1700070776085295456?t=WUxpey5gEWydLf_wuLRLlA&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They want a system where the right kind of mayors have unopposed authority. It's the only explanation for why they kicked out half of the Leicester council too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1700795405389177058

:(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If there's one thing I know about the economy it's that it just magically grows itself without investment, and also that the private sector they're relying on magically paying their taxes* absolutely love staying in a shithole country that's falling apart.

* which of course it would be wrong to make them pay

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnW7AA9STg&t=42s

It didn't work for them but it might work for us.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A nice bit of Sunday schadenfreude

https://twitter.com/MyArrse/status/1700574877617381837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The search for Lord Sugar's tax avoidance strategy cuntinues.