Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Didn’t Jericho debunk that as a planned spot recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Rising HAYATO...very pretty

:hmmyes:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jericho's had several close calls with the Lionsault. I'm surprised he's still doing it in 2023 when he's mostly moved away from his junior heavyweight style.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if i were an indy wrestler i would not be making the lionsault into one of my spots. Some of those ring ropes ive seen and touched yikes

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The Hayabusa injury alone would be enough to give me pause

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
In my quest to catch up on important matches from wrestling that happened longer ago than this year I watched 1-2-3 Kid vs. Bret Hart and it left me wondering. Why don't guys rock the trunks over tights anymore. I see it occasionally with guys like The Outrunners (who do a deliberate throwback gimmick) and Super Sasadango Machine but it seems way less common than it used to.

E. Also, has anyone ever worn trunks over a singlet? That sounds cursed.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 7, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

apophenium posted:

In my quest to catch up on important matches from wrestling that happened longer ago than this year I watched 1-2-3 Kid vs. Bret Hart and it left me wondering. Why don't guys rock the trunks over tights anymore. I see it occasionally with guys like The Outrunners (who do a deliberate throwback gimmick) and Super Sasadango Machine but it seems way less common than it used to.

Same reason Superman doesn't wear them anymore, the kids think it's lame-o.

(You do see some older lucha guys still rocking that look. And Darby Allin comes close with the skater shorts over long tights.)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

apophenium posted:

From what I understand, part of why strongmen wore trunks over tights was that the tights are tight enough to show the genitals and the buttcrack, so looser trunks on top hide those kinds of details.
Modern wrestlers apparently don't have that problem.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

has there ever been conjoined twin wrestlers?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How about conjoined twins, but one is a wrestler and one is not?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

see, now you're usin your noodle. there's money to be made here. like maybe the non-wrestling one keeps interfering and their opponent is powerless to stop it cause they're not a wrestler. and if you accidentally hit that one you get dq'd. you could do great heel stuff

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That DICK! posted:

see, now you're usin your noodle. there's money to be made here. like maybe the non-wrestling one keeps interfering and their opponent is powerless to stop it cause they're not a wrestler. and if you accidentally hit that one you get dq'd. you could do great heel stuff

Now youre thinking like a territory promoter!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Mulkey brothers wearing the same singlet.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Speaking of the Mulkeys: what was their deal? All I know about them is that they were jobbers among jobbers, never getting in any offense far less winning (except that one time). is there any story or lore behind him? Did they ever do anything outside of Mid-Atlantic that was a little more robust?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Speaking of the Mulkeys: what was their deal? All I know about them is that they were jobbers among jobbers, never getting in any offense far less winning (except that one time). is there any story or lore behind him? Did they ever do anything outside of Mid-Atlantic that was a little more robust?

Not really, they were just a brother tag team who were AMAZING at making anybody look like a million bucks because they had an almost gleeful disregard for their own bodily wellbeing. They'd just act like pinballs. They did have a title shot, sort of, against the Midnight Express for the latter's US tag champ belts and that was funny because it was in their hometown of Anderson, SC (no relation to Arn) which drew a huge house - for Anderson - and went 45 minutes and the Mulkeys did squash matches, not marathons so apparently they were pretty blown up by the end.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 9, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't someone gift them a win in a tournament as a way of saying thanks for all the great job work

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't someone gift them a win in a tournament as a way of saying thanks for all the great job work

Pro Wrestling Wiki says (with a grain of salt):

quote:

Eventually, the brothers' win-loss record was displayed when they wrestled, reaching 0-180 before they won a match against The Gladiators (Gladiator I & Gladiator II) in March of 1987 to qualify for the Crockett Cup. However, in the first round of the Crockett Cup, the Mulkeys were eliminated by Denny Brown and Todd Champion.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dusty, and they didn't know it until they were about to go out for the match: https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...dbbb75e40f.html (feel free to 12ft that)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

give me the bucks vs the mulkeys

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I did see that nasty Eaton outside of the ring suplex.
God drat Randy Mulkey, the money you were making could have made doing that worth it.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

give me the bucks vs the mulkeys

Featuring an old man Randy Mulkey Canadian Destroyer.
No wait. Have them form an 8-man tag team. The Bulkies.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 9, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
any idea who the spiderpeople were in tonight's mystery wrestling? i'd love to know who the miles morales was, at least

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

I did see that nasty Eaton outside of the ring suplex.
God drat Randy Mulkey, the money you were making could have made doing that worth it.

They genuinely seemed to be the 'we're just happy we're here' types.

As for why they never did go anywhere else, it might have been like Barry Horowitz saying that he could have been a champ in some dying territory (and was in Global) but being an enhancement guy in WWF just paid a lot better.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Mulkeys said in an interview that The Road Warriors would give them their $50 TV bonus whenever they had a match with them, because they appreciated the fact they would sell the hell out of everything.

But yeah, they were just guys that were happy being in wrestling and happy being jobbers that made other people look good.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I was looking through previous DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight champions (always a fun read if you have the time), and I noticed that several of the reigns in 2020 were also for the REW Pakistan 24/7 belt.

If they had the same rules, how did they separate them? At first I thought the REW belt might have a humans-only rule, but the last mention of it in the records was when the Young Bucks autobiography won the belts from Britt Baker because she fell asleep holding it. But then Saki Akai's book wins the DDT one, and the REW one isn't mentioned after that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bonk posted:

I was looking through previous DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight champions (always a fun read if you have the time), and I noticed that several of the reigns in 2020 were also for the REW Pakistan 24/7 belt.

If they had the same rules, how did they separate them? At first I thought the REW belt might have a humans-only rule, but the last mention of it in the records was when the Young Bucks autobiography won the belts from Britt Baker because she fell asleep holding it. But then Saki Akai's book wins the DDT one, and the REW one isn't mentioned after that.

The Pakistan belt is probably a Sammy Vlog thing but I can't tell you more than that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fez_machine posted:

The Pakistan belt is probably a Sammy Vlog thing but I can't tell you more than that.

as someone who watched the Sammy Vlog in 2020 i have no loving idea what the REW Pakistan 24/7 belt is lmao

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Lol it was a Joey Janella twitter unification
https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1294001810894618625

But yeah the Pakistan belt was a Sammy thing

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

So it looks like the point of separation was that the copy of "The Young Bucks: Killing The Business" that held both titles and was sent to DDT was pinned by Saki Akai's photo book "Lip Hip Shake" for the Ironman Heavymetalweight title but not for the REW title. Presumably because the DDT ref was not a sanctioned REW official.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So we clearly need to find that book and bring along a REW referee. That's your dream ticket to wrestling in Pakistan, folks

wtf do you mean you don't want to wrestle in Pakistan

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Dean Malenko surely set a record there for fastest time winning two separate belts, good for him

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Small wrestling question I was thinking about the other day: why did WWF/E stick with Mark Henry for so long?

I know he signed a super long deal when he came in and eventually figured it out and got good but he stank the place out for such a long time that I find it weird that they never just decided to cut their losses after the 14th repackaging/send down to learn how to wrestle/put with a manager etc. Like better guys got less time to figure it out and he was hanging around for nearly a decade until he discovered what worked for him

Was there someone backstage who was just like 'mark is my guy and he's going nowhere' or was there a clause where he would have gotten a fat payout if they fired him so they tried to get him to quit and he just didn't. Or was he not getting paid much so just got paid to hang around on the off chance they figured out how to push the worlds strongest man

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
We’ll, you’d need someone stronger than him to tell him he’s fired, and that’s impossible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He signed a 10 year deal for $250,000 a year (apparently), it was probably far cheaper to try and make him quit than fire him

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

He signed a 10 year deal for $250,000 a year (apparently), it was probably far cheaper to try and make him quit than fire him

And I think when that contract was finally coming up, there were enough injuries on the SmackDown roster that they decided to just re-sign him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

This is the theory Bryan and Vinny went with during their retro reviews.

And they loved Mark for just smiling and taking his money no matter what Vince tried to do to him to make hi m quit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

We’ll, you’d need someone stronger than him to tell him he’s fired, and that’s impossible.

It's not impossible, but Artie, The Strongest Man In The World doesn't work for just anyone

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Making a guy do embarrassing poo poo on TV instead of just cutting him and eating the money is very Attitude Era

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I just presume that someone on staff was clairvoyant and knew that if you kept him employed you would eventually get the salmon suit "a lot left in the tank" segment.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Speaking of this... I just learned about the time they "ribbed" Henry be sending him out to the ring for a match with Sin Cara, only to not have Sin Cara come out. Henry eventually got pissed, left the ring and returned to the back only to find it completely deserted.

How is this supposed to be funny? Your comment about trying to get him to quit makes sense here, was that the point of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I remember reading Swoll had a $400k a year contract in WCW. Who has been the worst ROI?