Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cthulu Carl posted:

Our intranet homepage - that you cannot avoid when opening a new browser window or a new tab because changing it is locked down - currently has a big banner reminding everyone that the 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day.

So I guess that's how things are going...

Make a shortcut to your browser with the restore last session or about :blank arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

ethics cost more than rent and rent is too dang high

God's expensive...
🎶The Devil's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 🎶

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Or stop gate keeping and put the sales rep in touch with the real decision maker so it’s their problem to deal with because they actually have a say in the buying process. People with no say in the purchasing process slowing down the sales cycle is hilarious but counter productive. Once the sales rep realizes there’s no opportunity they will move on. Stop slowing that down.

I already know the answer as in an executive department head has already said nope to what's being sold, and nope is not being taken as an answer, and the sales guy keeps asking about things which would genuinely get me sacked if I told him about - business plans and strategy poo poo. In short, he can gently caress himself.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just ask him for a cash bribe, then tell him to gently caress off in writing after you get it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Or stop gate keeping and put the sales rep in touch with the real decision maker so it’s their problem to deal with because they actually have a say in the buying process. People with no say in the purchasing process slowing down the sales cycle is hilarious but counter productive. Once the sales rep realizes there’s no opportunity they will move on. Stop slowing that down.

Nah gently caress that, waste this rep’s time as much as you want, you’re not responsible for how productive they are and it’s on them to realise when the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah gently caress that, waste this rep’s time as much as you want, you’re not responsible for how productive they are and it’s on them to realise when the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

At least get lunch out of them, though. The rep will be get to expense it if it’s a “business” lunch, so both of you will benefit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sales people who love to go hard are the absolute worst and it’s your job as a potential customer to be as unhelpful as possible if they won’t chill out.

I had a guy once try me with the “I’ve done the numbers,I’ve spoken to my boss, I’ve spoken to my boss’ boss, this is the best deal we can ever possibly offer you in a million years, absolutely rock bottom could not be a better deal for you, and it’s only available right now, you need to take it before it’s gone” poo poo so I went away and found another vendor who did it cheaper and didn’t gently caress me around with sales bullshit.

Like a week later the original guy called to ask why I hadn’t taken up his once in a lifetime offer yet (that was I guess still available despite him having told me that I needed to bite the bullet then and there last week?) and when I told him I went elsewhere he absolutely flipped his poo poo and started demanding to know why I hadn’t come back to him with the new quote so he could see it and try to beat it.

“You were very insistent that the price you offered was the absolute rock bottom best you could do, so were you lying to me, or did you just want me to waste more of both of our time?”

No answer, dude just hangs up.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hot tip from someone in hell sales:

If they won't stop calling you after you've told them hard no and do not call, ask who their divisional VP of sales is and when they'll be traveling with them, because that's the only time you'll meet.

If they are stupid enough to tell you, book the meeting. Book it for someplace ridiculous, like a very expensive restaurant. Give him a fake cell number, too.

Don't show. Don't loving show. Sales metrics are often based on booking and parties showing for meetings, on top of sales.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Randy Travesty posted:

Hot tip from someone in hell sales:

If they won't stop calling you after you've told them hard no and do not call, ask who their divisional VP of sales is and when they'll be traveling with them, because that's the only time you'll meet.

If they are stupid enough to tell you, book the meeting. Book it for someplace ridiculous, like a very expensive restaurant. Give him a fake cell number, too.

Don't show. Don't loving show. Sales metrics are often based on booking and parties showing for meetings, on top of sales.

Barbaric. I love it.

E.

As much as I love blowing up bridges, is this is a 'never work with that company again' move? Or are sales so chickenbrained they'll forgive and forget something like this?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Outrail posted:

Barbaric. I love it.

E.

As much as I love blowing up bridges, is this is a 'never work with that company again' move? Or are sales so chickenbrained they'll forgive and forget something like this?

It's pretty nuclear lol.

But depending on the industry, the goldfish will circle the bowl again.

You can also tell them "put me on your do not call list. If you call me again, who would I contact to ensure that the DNC is updated?"

If they're inside sales and probably using Salesforce or onhub or another stupid CRM, there's plenty of DNC and opt out fields they can check off to make your name stop hitting call and eblast reports.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Taking a no is much easier for me than pursuing people who clearly have said no. If the sales person is too stupid to understand the difference between a hard no and a waffle no not right now, then they're terrible at their job and/or have exactly zero idea how to loving prospect their way out of a paper bag.

My job is to make big sacks of money for the company and if I'm wasting my time pursuing dead leads I'm stupid as hell for doing it. Or just trying to get my number of calls to go up (there are way better ways of doing that omg).

Also if people start calling and trying to probe/profile you and you're a gatekeeper, be blunt with them and say "look, I'm happy to chat with you all day long but I'm kind of a waste of time--I have no strategy info and I don't do <x>. Also we can't accept gifts because of <random regulatory thing that doesn't matter but sounds scary>."

They'll gently caress off.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also this is why I'm in management now, because I was the least stupid of the bunch. And I'm really loving stupid, okay.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Car buying is such loving bullshit and I still don't understand why manufacturers can't just open up dealerships and sell directly to the buyer. You can STILL have used car shops (and new car lots for that matter) except, now, there will also be Toyota Stores or whatever.

I know it's considered unwise to buy from CarMax but gently caress me, when I need to buy a new car again, that's where I'm going. Because you're in and out of there in 2 hours tops and can just buy something within your price range instead of being hit with a hundred added fees and poo poo designed to wear you down and increase your impatience to the point where you just go "OK, fine", like the TrueCoat guy in Fargo. I was happy with the deal, the financing and the service I got from CarMax so bet your rear end I'll go back.

When my wife and I were buying a car, we got the "$12,000 out the door" line and then got hit with 15k with the itemized paperwork when we went to finalize. Guy was really surprised, didn't seem to understand and looked personally crushed when we walked out. Because I guess he couldn't figure how $3000 is quite a bit more "out the door" than he just loving said.

I'll never understand why the drawn out, haggling, back and forth horseshit like you're in Life of Brian buying a gourd at a bazaar has to be such a central, expected and accepted element of the car buying process. Everyone loving hates it, probably even the salespeople. It's slightly similar to buying or selling a home but the main annoying thing there is the reams of paperwork more than the negotiation process itself. At least in my experience.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BiggerBoat posted:

Car buying is such loving bullshit and I still don't understand why manufacturers can't just open up dealerships and sell directly to the buyer. You can STILL have used car shops (and new car lots for that matter) except, now, there will also be Toyota Stores or whatever.

I know it's considered unwise to buy from CarMax but gently caress me, when I need to buy a new car again, that's where I'm going. Because you're in and out of there in 2 hours tops and can just buy something within your price range instead of being hit with a hundred added fees and poo poo designed to wear you down and increase your impatience to the point where you just go "OK, fine", like the TrueCoat guy in Fargo. I was happy with the deal, the financing and the service I got from CarMax so bet your rear end I'll go back.

When my wife and I were buying a car, we got the "$12,000 out the door" line and then got hit with 15k with the itemized paperwork when we went to finalize. Guy was really surprised, didn't seem to understand and looked personally crushed when we walked out. Because I guess he couldn't figure how $3000 is quite a bit more "out the door" than he just loving said.

I'll never understand why the drawn out, haggling, back and forth horseshit like you're in Life of Brian buying a gourd at a bazaar has to be such a central, expected and accepted element of the car buying process. Everyone loving hates it, probably even the salespeople. It's slightly similar to buying or selling a home but the main annoying thing there is the reams of paperwork more than the negotiation process itself. At least in my experience.

Call around to dealerships in neighboring states or metro areas and ask if they sell for MSRP or do a dealer markup. Ones that don't exist, and they frequently specialize in doing out of state sales. The catch is that you're not going to be doing much haggling and you may very well end up on a wait list.

The places doing this poo poo are doing it because you're in a HCOL or otherwise high demand market, and there are enough people who will just shrug and take it. It's easy money for them.

We need a new car. We've got a Prius that we have put about 90k miles on and love, so hey, let's get a second Prius. The Toyota dealer near us wanted $9k "locality adjustment." gently caress that noise, a Prius is a fine $30k car but it sure as poo poo isn't a $40k car. We were ready to walk, the manager did their big "this is our best deal" thing and offered to give it to us for only a $5k markup, and got pissy and said that everyone around here does it this way when we walked.

Ok, fine, half an hour later I was on the phone talking to a dealership 4 hours away that we bought the first car from. Turns out they don't do that poo poo and they are very experienced with out of state sales. Told us it would be about 3 months for our new car since there's a pretty big line for their allotment (again, they do a ton of out of state sales) but gently caress it, I've got no problem with that. We don't need it tomorrow. Had to put down $1k as a deposit that gets put towards the final purchase price when we pick it up.

The best part was the other dealership called us back the next weekend asking if we were still looking for a car. I swear you could hear the sad puppy face the salesman made when I told him we had an order in with a dealership 4 hours away that doesn't charge locality fees.

So, yeah, do that. gently caress putting up with dealerships that want to tag on some extra "gently caress you because I can" fees.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Elon Musk and Tesla is a loving dumpster car fire, but they nailed the buying experience, to the point where it’s bewildering that more manufacturers aren’t trying to replicate their clear path to success.

You literally pick what you want in the car from a comprehensible selection of trims and options for an exact price, get a simple yes/no on a financing offer, and you’re told when and where it will be delivered (including, depending on where you live, your driveway).

Meanwhile, I’m over here doing research for what new EV I want to buy next and having sales folks act like I just murdered their grandma when I tell them upfront that I’m not buying today so they can invest their time and effort accordingly. It’s so self-defeating too - my experience at Nissan took my feelings from “your car isn’t my cup of tea” to “I’m actively telling everyone about how much of a dick your sales guy was any time cars come up.”

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cars are the new cornerstone of surveillance capitalism so if you want to protect your privacy it's even more lovely trying to buy a new car

https://theweek.com/business/1026345/cars-privacy-nightmare

quote:

"Increasingly, most cars are wiretaps on wheels," Albert Fox Cahn, a technology and human rights fellow at Harvard's Carr Center for Human Rights Policy, told The Associated Press.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's my daily job applications gripe

I applied for this job and the job application asked for a salary requirement. I put down exactly what they had listed in the job description because yeah sure, that worked for me. Then I got this email

I guess on one hand it's just an invitation to apply for higher-level positions there but why the hell did you list that salary in the job posting if it was more than you wanted to pay?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Randy Travesty posted:

It's pretty nuclear lol.

But depending on the industry, the goldfish will circle the bowl again.

You can also tell them "put me on your do not call list. If you call me again, who would I contact to ensure that the DNC is updated?"

If they're inside sales and probably using Salesforce or onhub or another stupid CRM, there's plenty of DNC and opt out fields they can check off to make your name stop hitting call and eblast reports.

If your company has an established business relationship with the sales reps company this does gently caress all. DNC is for cold call spam, not companies you’ve done business with before.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deep dish peat moss posted:

I guess on one hand it's just an invitation to apply for higher-level positions there but why the hell did you list that salary in the job posting if it was more than you wanted to pay?

My employer has taken a “malicious compliance” approach to legal requirements that we include pay ranges in our job listings. As a result, under the specious logic that we might elect to hire you at a different level than what was posted, the range is the entire gamut of pay for the role.

In other words, a listing for Senior Underwater Basket Weaver displays a range that is minimum pay for Intern Underwater Basket Weaver and maximum pay for Principal Staff Underwater Basket Weaver.

loving useless, and drat embarrassing. Might as well just post a range from $0 to $HIGHEST_SALARY as that’s technically accurate too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Blue Moonlight posted:

My employer has taken a “malicious compliance” approach to legal requirements that we include pay ranges in our job listings. As a result, under the specious logic that we might elect to hire you at a different level than what was posted, the range is the entire gamut of pay for the role.

In other words, a listing for Senior Underwater Basket Weaver displays a range that is minimum pay for Intern Underwater Basket Weaver and maximum pay for Principal Staff Underwater Basket Weaver.

loving useless, and drat embarrassing. Might as well just post a range from $0 to $HIGHEST_SALARY as that’s technically accurate too.

Our job had to publish pay bands and my position is in the $X +/- $20,000 band and damned if you can believe it but myself and every single one of my peers is making somewhere around $X - $19,500

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was looking at jobs from another company, in a State with salary reporting requirements, and they had a range of like $75,000-$160,000/yr. That is a hell of a spread my dudes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's my daily job applications gripe

I applied for this job and the job application asked for a salary requirement. I put down exactly what they had listed in the job description because yeah sure, that worked for me. Then I got this email

A person could read that email as them saying you didn't demand enough.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

A person could read that email as them saying you didn't demand enough.

You should mail them back offering to accept more.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

BiggerBoat posted:

. It's slightly similar to buying or selling a home but the main annoying thing there is the reams of paperwork more than the negotiation process itself. At least in my experience.

I work for CarMax, and the main complaint I get from customers is about how much paperwork we have the customer do. No haggling or price negotiation but hey, here's 36 pages of paperwork and that's not counting titling, taxes, and any trade in you might have. At least it's mostly electronic now, but if you're doing a business deal (which can also only be financed by one of the six financial institutions the company has a contract with) or don't have an email address you're SOL.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thank the Association of Auto Dealers in your state for that. There are literally lawsuits going on right now to force manufacturers to be unable to sell direct to customers. It's ridiculous seeing emails from the IADA saying 'we're fighting the good fight!' in that regard.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From what I hear Carvana is the way to go to avoid the bullshit, if you have one near you. I'm sure it has its own set of problems but everyone I know who bought a car through Carvana had a lot to say about how painless the entire buying process was.

Unless you absolutely can't buy used, I guess.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 9, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We had a potential grant to buy our organization a much needed vehicle. I made the mistake of asking a car dealer to 'send me a quote for a new or used F150 with the following specs XXX, we have $75,000, including taxes, fees, charges etc. Can you please include the all in price on the quote?'.

I think I broke their brains or something. After two follow-up prompts they sent a one line email with 'yep, an F150'll cost about $75,000'.

Is 'all in' just not a concept in North America? I have $x, I can't go over this amount, no it doesn't matter if its a tax or a fee or a government mandated charge, we cannot spend more than $x. Please tell me what I can afford.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

We had a potential grant to buy our organization a much needed vehicle. I made the mistake of asking a car dealer to 'send me a quote for a new or used F150 with the following specs XXX, we have $75,000, including taxes, fees, charges etc. Can you please include the all in price on the quote?'.

I think I broke their brains or something. After two follow-up prompts they sent a one line email with 'yep, an F150'll cost about $75,000'.

Is 'all in' just not a concept in North America? I have $x, I can't go over this amount, no it doesn't matter if its a tax or a fee or a government mandated charge, we cannot spend more than $x. Please tell me what I can afford.

You can afford to waste about 6 hours of your life dealing with jackasses who end up hoping that "75k" was a good starting offer, and that 79k is what you'll sign for to avoid wasting more time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

If your company has an established business relationship with the sales reps company this does gently caress all. DNC is for cold call spam, not companies you’ve done business with before.

They meant the do not call setting within their CRM, not the National Do Not Call Registry.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Outrail posted:

sales isnt just a job its a way of life

an incredibly cursed way of life

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

~Coxy posted:

They meant the do not call setting within their CRM, not the National Do Not Call Registry.

This. I don't give a gently caress about the national DNC because I'm b2b anyway and this is all internal stuff. And if one of my internals or externals calls someone on that DNC we have inside (you have to really work at it to get the phone numbers too), and the person complains, it's taken seriously because (even more cursed) this is finance.

Yes I have the most cursed job. Yes I'm insufferable even to myself. It's going to get me through this divorce, the hell out of the Midwest, and pay for me to go to school for something completely unrelated (cultural anthropology and econ double major, let's go Graeber-style) so I can actually add value to this hell world and not just make people who have money have even more money.

blatman posted:

Also this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You can afford to waste about 6 hours of your life dealing with jackasses who end up hoping that "75k" was a good starting offer, and that 79k is what you'll sign for to avoid wasting more time.

I guess they can afford to not have our money. :shrug:

blatman posted:

Also this again

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I watched Blackberry on the airplane and enjoyed the sales/c-suite vs engineer clashes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Outrail posted:

the dealer makes next to no money on a sticker price cash sale, they don't want your business because they can sell that F150 to a rube with in house financing for 100k after the APR is added.

Source: the bad with money thread

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

AceClown posted:

the dealer makes next to no money on a sticker price cash sale, they don't want your business because they can sell that F150 to a rube with in house financing for 100k after the APR is added.

Source: the bad with money thread

Why would you get financial advice from a place called "bad with money"?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I was looking at jobs from another company, in a State with salary reporting requirements, and they had a range of like $75,000-$160,000/yr. That is a hell of a spread my dudes.

From my recent experience of applying for and interviewing for jobs, they're looking for candidates to successfully negotiate with themselves to the smallest salary possible and then nab the person with the most exp who isn't too old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shageletic posted:

From my recent experience of applying for and interviewing for jobs, they're looking for candidates to successfully negotiate with themselves to the smallest salary possible and then nab the person with the most exp who isn't too old.

Probably. But on the other hand so many of these listings are bait, plain and simple. I've learned to weed out and not apply for Graphic Designer jobs promising me $95,000/year because no one is paying designers that much. Or even half that in most cases.

When I had to navigate the online nightmare of the modern job seeking process, I suddenly received TONS of spam and junk offering me jobs that had zero to do with my resume and, also, had zero to do with my job hunt at all. Like someone else said, so much of it is data harvesting and, had I not found a job when I did, I was on the cusp of getting a burner phone and yet another email account, both specifically related to job hunting. It had gotten that bad.

Another problem is that, in this modern cell phone age, once you start looking for work, you'll get a ton of calls from numbers you don't recognize and most savvy people don't answer that poo poo. Some of them are actually companies calling you but the vast majority of them are the usual robocall bullshit and god forbid you answer those even one time because now they know it's a live number. But you don't want to miss a call from a job offer either. So now you have no choice but to put even more of your personal info out there, answer mystery calls and know jack poo poo about who's looking at what info, selling it or is even serious about having a job opening in the first place.

I don't know what the answer to this is.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Another problem is that, in this modern cell phone age, once you start looking for work, you'll get a ton of calls from numbers you don't recognize and most savvy people don't answer that poo poo. Some of them are actually companies calling you but the vast majority of them are the usual robocall bullshit and god forbid you answer those even one time because now they know it's a live number. But you don't want to miss a call from a job offer either. So now you have no choice but to put even more of your personal info out there, answer mystery calls and know jack poo poo about who's looking at what info, selling it or is even serious about having a job opening in the first place.

The answer to this is a google voice burner number

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Salami Surgeon posted:

The answer to this is a google voice burner number

Barring that you can get a pre-paid burner phone really cheap.

The last time I checked the cheapest wall mart pre-paid flip phone was $10 and the bottom tier pre-paid smart phone was $40.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I guess if your phone takes dual sim cards you could get a burner sim. It's insane anyone would need to do that in 2023. Wasn't technology supposed to make it easier to make your life harder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Elviscat posted:

I see that all the time at my mega conglomerate. And it gets worse as you go up the ladder.

My last position would read something like:

Entry: 40-60K
Mid: 50-75K
Senior/Team Lead: 60-95K
Manager: 70-130K
Sr. Manager: 85-160K

I sort of get it. Can you get a passable Manager for 70K... maybe, if you're willing to train them and take some lumps? But if you want someone with years of experience to hit the ground running, it's going to cost a lot more.

Also, that entry level position? Within 2 or 3 years, it's pretty much expected that you'll either be promoted (with a 15-ish% raise) or have left.

That manager or Sr. Manager? You generally want them to stay a long time. And for them to stay, you need to be able to keep the money flowing, so you want to make it hard for them to cap out.