Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DaysBefore posted:

Keep seeing people, bouth clouted and cloutless, saying 'icecream is good :)'. Who tf is behind this??

You are mistaken, they are saying "ice cream so good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean there's obviously a difference between discourse where everyone is talking about things they've done or are doing in the game, and you kind of assume that the game is good by implication (again, how I observed TOTK or BG3 or Elden Ring or AC6), or it wouldn't have so many people playing it and talking about what they're doing while they're playing it, versus this sort of thing:

where it's like they're trying to convince you it's good in a sort of "tell not show" way

Lmfao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The discourse....

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Beat Starfield, The Hunter is probably the best Bethesda villain since Dagoth Ur (not a high bar)

I love how his whole deal is he's a Bethesda RPG PC who's just out here speedrunning universes and he killed all your friends because he's sick of doing the same speech checks

Fun times, my major criticism is that there are lots of great characters in this game, is just that none of them are your companions

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing tweets from people, with clout or without, all saying that Starfield is good.

And like, I'm not saying I disagree, but I didn't really see this kind of effort for other games to try to extol how good it was. Hogwarts Legends was just "is it moral for me to play this game?", and TOTK and BG3 leapt immediately to everyone talking about what they were doing in the game as they played it.

Is it really because of the Bethesda stereotype divisiveness?

because it has become a kulturkampf. Its incredibly bizarre seeing this. IGN used to be hack frauds whomst oppressed gamers and now they are the NYT of games journalism because of the starfield review. Bethesda games always got compared to Fromsoft, CDPR and similar games so with a less-than-stellar review score everyone is taking their turns with the beatstick.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder what order they were worked on? There's a lot of life to New Hope and Red Mile too.

at this point it seems they purposefully made New Atlantis boring so it would contrast better with the questlines. The Well feels so much like those backalley shops I used to go to as a kid to buy pirated videogames that its nostalgic.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing tweets from people, with clout or without, all saying that Starfield is good.

And like, I'm not saying I disagree, but I didn't really see this kind of effort for other games to try to extol how good it was. Hogwarts Legends was just "is it moral for me to play this game?", and TOTK and BG3 leapt immediately to everyone talking about what they were doing in the game as they played it.

Is it really because of the Bethesda stereotype divisiveness?

combo of the Bethesda negativity knee reflex and the fact that the game itself is a slow burn with a rough start

it really benefitted from the early release over a long weekend

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DaysBefore posted:

Keep seeing people, bouth clouted and cloutless, saying 'icecream is good :)'. Who tf is behind this??

taking a lick of ice cream and then spitting it out on the ground] what? what the gently caress???? i wanted steak why isnt this steak (finishes whole cone making a disgusted face the whole time)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Game so good I entertain myself by imagining different guys to hate

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tankbuster posted:

because it has become a kulturkampf. Its incredibly bizarre seeing this. IGN used to be hack frauds whomst oppressed gamers and now they are the NYT of games journalism because of the starfield review. Bethesda games always got compared to Fromsoft, CDPR and similar games so with a less-than-stellar review score everyone is taking their turns with the beatstick.
Starfield is CDPR-level quality (pejorative)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

heck yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did you guys see how if you make a ship with a hole in the center the enemy ai thats programmed only to shoot the center of the build cant hurt u?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what’s with these posts about starfield talking about being on NG++++ or whatever I thought this was a 100-hour open world game

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Please reserve your hatred for the true villains of this world: old men who enjoy Fortnite

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Augus posted:

what’s with these posts about starfield talking about being on NG++++ or whatever I thought this was a 100-hour open world game

Thought wrong. There's multiple NG+'s with narrative and mechanical changes in each subsequent level. Not sure how many it goes but quite far apparently

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

starfield mostly launched feature complete.

Real hurthling! posted:

did you guys see how if you make a ship with a hole in the center the enemy ai thats programmed only to shoot the center of the build cant hurt u?

you might still get hit by stray shots.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

Thought wrong. There's multiple NG+'s with narrative and mechanical changes in each subsequent level. Not sure how many it goes but quite far apparently

does all the open world poo poo you did reset every time or what

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Starfield launched in a much more stable and working state than Cyberpunk 2077 did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bethesda games are like Rockstar games in that they're made in ways that greatly impress people who don't really play a lot of video games.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Augus posted:

does all the open world poo poo you did reset every time or what

Yeah, you keep your levels and space powers but otherwise clean slate

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starfield launched in a much more stable and working state than Cyberpunk 2077 did
never played either, it was just a comment on how CDPR isn't as much of a mark of quality as it used to be

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bethesda games are like Rockstar games in that they're made in ways that greatly impress people who don't really play a lot of video games.

the common man knows a pair of lovingly crafted horse testicles when he sees them

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I thought the thing RDR2 thing was it was an incredibly well polished and immersive game with a horrible Multiplayer tacked on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

never played either, it was just a comment on how CDPR isn't as much of a mark of quality as it used to be

w3 kinda sucked at launch with single digit framerates in the early game on ps4 and they had to get emergency help from WB to implement batman arkham movement for geralt cause the default mode felt like total poo poo like how rockstar makes everyone lurch around with momentum but worse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah, you keep your levels and space powers but otherwise clean slate

the new version of "i never played the main quest" will be "i never beat ng+"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
was supposed to meet the Freestar Collective, but got sidetracked entirely by exploring an abandoned space station that lost all its gravity

you know what this game reminds me of? 2019's Ad Astra. the commercialized moon, the space pirates, the renegade zero-g gorillas, the rocket launch out of Mars - it's like being in the same kind of universe painted by that film, but you get to explore what the movie only hinted at tangentially

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DaysBefore posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DaysBefore posted:

Please reserve your hatred for the true villains of this world: old men who enjoy Fortnite

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

was supposed to meet the Freestar Collective, but got sidetracked entirely by exploring an abandoned space station that lost all its gravity

you know what this game reminds me of? 2019's Ad Astra. the commercialized moon, the space pirates, the renegade zero-g gorillas, the rocket launch out of Mars - it's like being in the same kind of universe painted by that film, but you get to explore what the movie only hinted at tangentially

i feel like it's driven by a similar vision of a cool nasafied future that also sucks poo poo because we brought the End of History with us to the stars

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

i feel like it's driven by a similar vision of a cool nasafied future that also sucks poo poo because we brought the End of History with us to the stars

they should make a mega ikea station somewhere near a particle board factory in space and let you wander like 600 aisles of beige furniture and housewares

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
thats just the hopetech factory though.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

thats just the hopetech factory though.

i haven't gotten there yet, i'm excited

i'm weirdly transfixed with this game

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it is a pretty cool game. People will be playing it for a while.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

smarxist posted:

i haven't gotten there yet, i'm excited

i'm weirdly transfixed with this game

it's bad in many ways but it's so good in many other ways. i love it. i dont know any other games out there in 2023 with obscure i think you should leave references

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Aw hell yeah I can play gamespass games on GeForce now now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hate that Shartfield discourse and Gamepass tour coincided. It's just so unfortunate that I could not beat the FOMO and now I'm putting 160 gb on a HDD because I do not respect this game enough to clean out my SSD. I am deliberately making it worse so I don't play it beyond the opening mining bit and maybe the second or third plot beat.

Blond Business lady companion seems like a buzzkill. Who is the CSPAM companion to tilt my actions towards their approval. UGH THE WORDS THAT I"M TYPING ARE DISGUSTING ME. I swore I was out after FO76 but I keep getting dragged back in.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

the new version of "i never played the main quest" will be "i never beat ng+"

Good, that's my plan. I will trust Lpzie's accounting of the clown shenanigains going on through temporal spacetime with The Hunter.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

companions in this game suck so just pick barrett or andreja because they're the only ones that don't disapprove of picking funny dialogue options

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The ways its bad almost all feel like things I can mod out - like I tried the base building / research trees I think way too early and it resulted in an urge to play Satisfactory, but you could fix it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

I will trust Lpzie

fool