Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

The characterization is pretty uneven, one episode everyone but Crichton is all selfish and mean and the next they're all best friends, but generally it's great at portraying a rag-tag crew of misfits with secrets.

What order are you watching the episodes in? A lot of streaming sites have them in the US airing order, which is wrong and leads to these kinds of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What order are you watching the episodes in? A lot of streaming sites have them in the US airing order, which is wrong and leads to these kinds of problems.
The first thing I always mention when people mention watching Farscape is to use the correct episode order. It's a crime that all the streaming services have picked up the wrong order.

Farscape is one of, if not my most, favourite scifi of all time. If anything, by the end, it's the complete opposite of uneven characterization; it does such a good job of blending monster-of-the-week with the long, consistent development of the characters and group dynamics. There's no episode reset, but all the consequences of their predicament slowly pile up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Xealot posted:

I wondered the same, but honestly I suspect Jury Duty is kind of one-and-done now that it’s out and getting attention. The time to make more would probably have been before wide audiences saw it, if they fast-tracked more based on good pre-release reactions.

The Joe Schmo Show was essentially the same premise, except as a fake reality show rather than a fake documentary of the jury process. They managed three seasons, and had only had one of the four "marks" catch on, mostly due to continuity issues and recognizing one of the actors.

Joe Schmo was pre-streaming and didn't have as much buzz as Jury Duty, so they probably can't do the court thing again, but it would be possible to pull it off with another setting. Maybe the producers will go the fake reality show route too -- it's easier to pull off, because there are so many manufactured stupid moments on a given throwaway reality show anyway.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 28, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I watched two seasons of Jack Ryan. It's mostly the usual pro-America war on terror bullshit. BUT it has Bunk from The Wire as a main character and he's an absolute delight to watch. He plays Greer, the same guy played by James Earl Jones in the 80s and 90s Tom Clancy movies, except in those Greer is an admiral and in this he's a CIA cowboy. But it turns out that in this adaptation, he's Muslim! So that's cool. I think that's the only reason to watch this show: Wendell Pierce playing a Black American Muslim CIA War Crimes Guy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

That looks to be the case. It's on Amazon FreeVee and while mostly in the correct order, some are out of place.

The episode where Moya splits into 4 parallel dimensions, 3 being primary colors was loving awesome, I could watch Rygel making jokes all day.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Watched through the german series Dark and really liked it.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 30, 2023

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Watched through the german series Dark and really liked it.

Have you seen Black Spot? If you liked Dark you'll probably like it as well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MightyJoe36 posted:

Have you seen Black Spot? If you liked Dark you'll probably like it as well.

I've never heard of that show. Couldn't really find a trailer for it on YouTube but the little Netflix pre-play makes it looks promising. Might have to give it a go!

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

WhiteHowler posted:

The Joe Schmo Show was essentially the same premise, except as a fake reality show rather than a fake documentary of the jury process. They managed three seasons, and had only had one of the four "marks" catch on, mostly due to continuity issues and recognizing one of the actors.

Joe Schmo was pre-streaming and didn't have as much buzz as Jury Duty, so they probably can't do the court thing again, but it would be possible to pull it off with another setting. Maybe the producers will go the fake reality show route too -- it's easier to pull off, because there are so many manufactured stupid moments on a given throwaway reality show anyway.

I had no idea there was a 3rd season.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched the first season of the 1988 UK Whose Line Is It Anyway? It has a really informal feel, kinda sorting out how the show should work. Not sure who most of the guests are, Josie Lawrence runs circles around many of them. A young Stephen Fry appears in the 3rd episode.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I had no idea there was a 3rd season.

Yep! It was nearly ten years after the second season. It was staged as a "learn to be a bounty hunter" reality show.

TBS has announced a fourth season of Joe Schmo premiering next year (after another 10+ year gap). No Ralph Garmin this time, though.

Since it's announced already, I assume filming already happened.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Watched the first 6 episodes (I think there are going to be more?? not sure) of The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart and woof, really triggering and hard to watch. I like it though, it's a good drama and the way of expressing certain feelings with flowers is a cool theme/idea.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Don't know if anyone was watching it but The Watchful Eye was cancelled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Don't know if anyone was watching it but The Watchful Eye was cancelled.

Yeah, and Single Drunk Female.

Sucks.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Somehow, I completely missed that the fourth and final series of Doom Patrol had aired in December of 2022, so I'm watching it now and man it's just such a treat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Somehow, I completely missed that the fourth and final series of Doom Patrol had aired in December of 2022, so I'm watching it now and man it's just such a treat.

Not quite, the second half is in limbo. The rumour I've seen is that the back six are coming in October.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Not quite, the second half is in limbo. The rumour I've seen is that the back six are coming in October.

Ah that explains why I didn't pick it up then. Weird that they've not released the whole thing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The first season of 'This Fool' was really good and funny. The first two episodes of the second season have had me in stitches. It's up there with Always Sunny as one of the funniest shows currently on TV/Streaming.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Speaking of Always Sunny, caught up on The Mick and while it's a sitcom and it's sometimes a little hack, it's a nice easy greasy laugh but boy Kaitlin Olson does tend to play the same character in stuff huh

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Watched the latest series of Solar Opposites and Warrior over the weekend. I don't mind the voice change in Solar Opposites - I was watching it more for The Wall and Silvercops than anything, though it felt to me that the main character stories were fewer and not as good as before. Could just be me though.

Warrior felt like it was going to wrap things up but then they changed their mind half way through filming or something and they altered the last two episodes on the go to allow for another series. Other than that the quality remains consistent: very entertaining stuff.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the latest series of Solar Opposites and Warrior over the weekend. I don't mind the voice change in Solar Opposites - I was watching it more for The Wall and Silvercops than anything, though it felt to me that the main character stories were fewer and not as good as before. Could just be me though.

I've watched most of the season so far, and think I actually prefer the change in voice actor. it's much less Rick-like, which was a bit distracting for me originally

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
The Changeling is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Creepy, thriller, a hint of the mystical.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I got the 6 season DVD box set of Northern Exposure. This show and The X-Files are big factors in what a weird teenager I was.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The Changeling is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Creepy, thriller, a hint of the mystical.

There's a lot I like about it, but it's very very slow.

Edit: like, in episode one there's a spooky lady in a dangerous part of the wilderness who's giving out random magical charms and curses. It takes until the end of episode three for the main character to suspect that she might be... a witch!

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 15, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
ooooh I hadn't heard about The Changeling, I'll check it out

speaking of Lakeith Stanfield, how is Sorry To Bother You? It's been in my queue forever but I haven't seen it

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

isaboo posted:

speaking of Lakeith Stanfield, how is Sorry To Bother You? It's been in my queue forever but I haven't seen it

It’s absolutely fantastic.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

I got the 6 season DVD box set of Northern Exposure.

Nice. I'm still hoping someday they can get the musical rights sorted and bring this to a streaming platform.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

AcidCat posted:

Nice. I'm still hoping someday they can get the musical rights sorted and bring this to a streaming platform.

And Godzilla 1985 while you're at it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

The latest series of What We Do In The Shadows is pretty solid. Put the 'dark' back into 'dark comedy'. Still very enjoyably silly though.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

isaboo posted:

I envy the fact that you get to watch this for the first time. Don't read anything about it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sneeing Emu posted:

I envy the fact that you get to watch this for the first time. Don't read anything about it.

This is exactly why I didn’t give any sort of review. Just watch.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
After Sorry To Bother You, make sure to watch I'm a Virgo. Don't read anything about that either.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One more strong recommendation for Sorry to Bother You.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Nthing both STBY AND I'm a Virgo. And also listen to the Coup album Sorry to Bother You, which came out well before the movie and is full of bangers start to finish.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I’m a Virgo was a wild ride, did not go…any of the directions I guessed. It’s also great evidence that irony is dead, that it’s as anti-capitalist as it is and is an Amazon Prime original series.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well I intended to watch Sorry To Bother You but instead watched the first 4 episodes of The Changeling and yo, this poo poo is bonkers lol

Have any of y'all read the novel?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One more strong recommendation for Sorry to Bother You.

I had already watched, and loved, I'm a Virgo. This did not prepare me for Sorry To Bother You, which I watched without any foreknowledge as suggested here and I am highly recommending to any and all to do the same.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

"How To" with John Wilson is a ride. One of the only comedies to get pandemic humor right and a great addition to the Nathan Fielder cinematic universe

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Can confirm, I'm a Virgo slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

"How To" with John Wilson is a ride. One of the only comedies to get pandemic humor right and a great addition to the Nathan Fielder cinematic universe

The show had one more season in it.