Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd imagine a guy like Boon is probably a big get for a show like Hot Ones when every unionized actor in the USA is forbidden to promote their projects due to the WGA/SGA strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

JCVD Johnny just looks like Johnny Cage

Vakal
May 11, 2008
JVCD was also in his own knock-off Mortal Kombat-like fighting tournament movie.

The Quest I believe it was.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMo1SUTal8

The full trailer dropped and yeah, his face looks really off. Though his voice performance seems passable.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Full story's been streamed and out there, be careful if you're browsing poo poo and trying to avoid spoilers.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

He is a dead ringer for young bloodsport jcvd. They are not aiming for a modern version of him. Bloodsport is the whole reason the franchise exists to begin with.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Evil Canadian posted:

He is a dead ringer for young bloodsport jcvd. They are not aiming for a modern version of him. Bloodsport is the whole reason the franchise exists to begin with.

Yeah I've been wondering with all the discourse around this if I'm the one with face blindness or if everyone else is. It's a pretty passable Bloodsport era JCVD, it animates weirdly at times because it's mapped to the way Johnny Cage emotes but the model is fine

The real disappointment is that his fatal blow dance doesn't change to the dance from Kickboxer

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
JCVD model kinda looks like Tom Cruise to me

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's a fun article I wrote: 15 Things You Never Knew About Mortal Kombat

Well, some things should be known. I did talk about the Eric Roberts/Bo' Rai Cho thing here a few days ago.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
We might have more than two fatalities per character this time. Brutalities are a bit different, probably 8 total but you have to choose which one(s) you want active?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Edited this whole post because I thought I knew a thing and I appear to be very wrong and now I'm confused.

Gavok posted:

Well, some things should be known. I did talk about the Eric Roberts/Bo' Rai Cho thing here a few days ago.

So you brought up the Kombat Kodes showing up in media, and I was always lead to believe that the campaign for the arcade release included clues to unlocking Smoke.

For example, here's an ad;

You're shown 5 symbols, and a number. Each Kombat Kode was 6 symbols long, so if this is hinting at a Kombat Kode, then one symbol is missing. My understanding had always been that you discover the missing symbol, and the number means that missing symbol went into that slot for the Ultimate Kombat Kode to unlock Smoke.

I was coming in all smug to talk about this and how cool it was... only to actually look poo poo up, and none of what I thought was true actually adds up. In this ad, for example, there's no code that corresponds with these symbols. Have I been lied to this whole time?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 10, 2023

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Megan Fox was rumored for a while alongside Travis Scott, so I wonder if the other shoe is going to drop on that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like there are a bunch of spoilerific videos all over youtube now, be warned if you actually care about the plot of a Mortal Kombat game (I do).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Gavok posted:

As an OG superfan who knows embarrassingly much about MK history, I want you to know I really appreciated this fantastic deep cut.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like there are a bunch of spoilerific videos all over youtube now, be warned if you actually care about the plot of a Mortal Kombat game (I do).

Why

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Because the story modes in these games are fun?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

man nurse posted:

Because the story modes in these games are fun?

Knowing all the fun nonsense doesn't make it less fun hth

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The problem is that's its not like "here is a video of all the story mode for MK1."

Like that's not the problem. What is bad, is someone posting a YouTube Short of like a random specific moment from 60% into the story. Since that just spoils a part of the story and you can't even just go and watch the full story mode to get the context for it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went on YouTube and got a recommended video from someone who got the game early spoiling the full roster and the thumbnail was the full roster, what as rear end in a top hat lol I scrolled past it fast enough that I didn’t see anything I didn’t know yet.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Panderfringe posted:

Knowing all the fun nonsense doesn't make it less fun hth

It's silly that I have to point this out, but "knowing stuff in advance doesn't diminish the amount of fun I have with seeing it" is completely your own opinion and doesn't apply to everyone!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

As an OG superfan who knows embarrassingly much about MK history, I want you to know I really appreciated this fantastic deep cut.

Thank you. My editor nixed a few entries from the original list.

- MK3's arcade release getting its own commercial was going to gets its own entry. Were there any other arcade games that got their own TV commercials? It always seemed like such a big deal even if it's such a poo poo commercial.

- All the Stallone filmography references in Rambo's intros, especially how if you do Rambo vs. Rambo, one of them is supposed to be Rocky Balboa.

- Stuff about Erron Black's bounty posters.

exquisite tea posted:

I tried to allow myself a brief video or two because it's like watching a movie clip during a talk show interview segment. I did get myself pretty spoiled on a "Oh, that's how THAT happened in the new continuity" moment. Otherwise, checking out the clip of Johnny Cage meeting Liu Kang for the first time doesn't hurt anything. I've already seen someone try to turn it into a meme template that I hope gets some use down the line.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

Maybe? NRS have gone pretty all-out on including story modes since MK9, which while I wouldn't call them thematically deep, closer to convoluted moreso, they are definitely cinematic, so much so that Capcom and Namco felt they needed to follow suit to keep up in their respective fighting game franchises. They pretty much lead the way in that regard for single player fighting game content.

MK storymode for my money have been the best consistently interesting and funny storyline in fighting games, possibly most video games.

There is just a ton of world building and poo poo with all the Realms, races, tourney rules, gods and magic, wierd techno ninjas/ special forces dudes, that it's just an amazingly fun romp, and seeing the new ways the storyline evolve in new timelines is loving great. There's a lot of care to the characters and how they interact in this goofy setting, and their dynamics.

It's like the best Kung Fu movie on the market

I've honestly always been surprised that Street Fighter had a table top role playing game in the 90s and not MK, because MK's world and setting are vast and insanely packed with wierd adventures.

I know the current Warner Brothers CEO is a loving dumbass, but holy poo poo how do you not see the potential for an MK multiverse franchise, especially when your core audience has grown up and has more cash to burn?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"because MK's world and setting are vast and insanely packed with wierd adventures."

The problem being it didn't start so.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bloodly posted:

"because MK's world and setting are vast and insanely packed with wierd adventures."

The problem being it didn't start so.

Actually, it arguably did.

There is a great book about Hollywood and Computer Games ("Lights Camera Game Over!")

In the chapter about Mortal Kombat, while they were making the Terminator 2 arcade game, one of the Producers of T2 went to see the progress on the T2 Arcade game (since it had a small ammount of footage recorded for the game, and it was an early attempt at cross market synergy.)

While there, the Midway people told him "want to see something cool?" And showed him the early build for Mortal Kombat that they were working on.

And this producer took one look at early MK1 and immediately saw the potential for movies, comics and cartoons for this IP. Since it has that right alchemy to introduce everything you want into a martial arts franchise.

Now, arguably the early 90's was not the right time to realize this potential. But it was always there from the beginning.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So now that the game is out in the wild, is there any word on like, what the content is? Is there a krypt still? Any customization to unlock? Towers of Time type stuff?

All I’ve seen or heard about is the story mode and invasion mode. What are the hooks to keep you playing besides just online vs this time around

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TulliusCicero posted:

MK storymode for my money have been the best consistently interesting and funny storyline in fighting games, possibly most video games.

There is just a ton of world building and poo poo with all the Realms, races, tourney rules, gods and magic, wierd techno ninjas/ special forces dudes, that it's just an amazingly fun romp, and seeing the new ways the storyline evolve in new timelines is loving great. There's a lot of care to the characters and how they interact in this goofy setting, and their dynamics.

I've honestly always been surprised that Street Fighter had a table top role playing game in the 90s and not MK, because MK's world and setting are vast and insanely packed with wierd adventures.

I know the current Warner Brothers CEO is a loving dumbass, but holy poo poo how do you not see the potential for an MK multiverse franchise, especially when your core audience has grown up and has more cash to burn?

perhaps they saw how the Street Fighter RPG played :V

I remember trying to run MK in Fight: The Fighting Game RPG, was fun but I am just not that good of a GM and burned out.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

TulliusCicero posted:

As I've gotten older slower and dumber and thus less able to keep up with the pace of fighting games, I've been praying for NRS to do some sort of MK side release in a different genre and the fact that the only thing we've gotten since Shaolin Monks (which was almost TWO DECADES AGO JESUS CHRIST) are some dogshit mobile games makes me sad

What I'm saying is I just finished baldurs gate and I'm having withdrawals and I want a big stupid MK tactics rpg where I can run around with all my favorite technicolor ninjas

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao a larian mk game would actually be loving sick. gonna romance goro.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

man nurse posted:

So now that the game is out in the wild, is there any word on like, what the content is? Is there a krypt still? Any customization to unlock? Towers of Time type stuff?

All I’ve seen or heard about is the story mode and invasion mode. What are the hooks to keep you playing besides just online vs this time around

Invasion is the krypt, the customization unlocks, and the towers of time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Invasion is the krypt, the customization unlocks, and the towers of time

gently caress, really?

I don't really care about the krypt, but I liked the towers of time.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 11, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that kind of sucks lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’m not thrilled to hear that, but I also don’t know much about invasion mode, so I guess we’ll see how good that all is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Invasion is basically the Towers but on a map you can explore.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I think it has some RPG elements to it and modifiers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

man nurse posted:

A lot of the game is apparently only going to arrive with the big day-one patch, which is in keeping with past games.

One thing that's already out there that I think is interesting is that every character's arcade ending appears to be canon this time out and so far, they're all set after the story mode's conclusion.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Invasion is basically the Towers but on a map you can explore.

Okay. I can get down with that conceptually

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

incorporeal posted:

I think it has some RPG elements to it and modifiers.

It's basically World of Light yeah

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's basically World of Light yeah

As someone who misses Alpha 3 World Tour and Soul Calibur's Mission Mode, Invasion is exactly what I want in a single player campaign.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gavok posted:

As someone who misses Alpha 3 World Tour and Soul Calibur's Mission Mode, Invasion is exactly what I want in a single player campaign.

Soul Calibur III had an insane story/ campaign mode

I loving LOVED that game

I also really enjoyed Deception's concept of "explore the MK multiverse", I just didn't like Shujinko and his gimmick of "learn every move ever made"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got my PS1 second hand from a fighting game nut, it came with MKT, Tekken, Soul Blade, and WCW vs the World. Soul Blade was such a cool game, and I've wanted to try and get into the series more recently but I kind of count myself out, like it would be too steep a learning curve to become competitive.