Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Saraiguma posted:

LS1 starts off unnecessarily hard bc of when it was released and received little to no rebalancing so you'll want to have a real build before you start

I tanked it using a reaper build I found online that I still use 400 hours later. I really need to try Scourge but new buttons scare me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vanadium posted:

Oh LWS1 being amazing sounds promising.

Do I even have access to dailies right now? I've done a great job at ignoring all the signposting of content the game might have thrown at me.

Be warned that you will need to find a group to do the tower section of LWS1.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

also this, groups get harder to find as time goes on but you can just brute force a few events then reset a few times to fill the bar and not miss much

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I wish I liked Braham but his issues are two-fold for me: He is either very cringe humor or he's constantly repeating the same story arc where he distrusts us, does his own stupid thing then later apologizes and realizes we're like family to him only to do it the next season or whatever again. He's done this so many times I've lost count.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Oh no I'll get judged by other players for wildly flailing on my action bars and wearing the wrong stats, won't I :ohdear:

I haven't done any explicit group activities in this game except for the time when goons dragged me to a big dragon world boss where I spent most of the time on the floor because the one nearby waypoint I had unlocked was naturally contested at the time. It was a bit humbling.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Vanadium posted:

Oh no I'll get judged by other players for wildly flailing on my action bars and wearing the wrong stats, won't I :ohdear:

This is, genuinely, 95% of the people you'll meet doing open world stuff. No one cares and it doesn't matter. You'll be fine!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

I think you can do it yourself right? Just keep doing level 1 events on your own till you get enough to warp to the top?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So i just used my last gift of exploration and need more ><

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vanadium posted:

Nobody cares lol. Smash buttons kill things gogogo

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

I think you can do it yourself right? Just keep doing level 1 events on your own till you get enough to warp to the top?

Maybe? I did it with Goon Squad in about an hour. Everyone is so friendly. :3:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Yes but even the most basic events are a PITA, there are lots of high-tier enemies and an annoying condi that keeps coming back

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Them increasing wvw reward track gain helps make GoB less stupid (even if they did it as compensation for removing one of the few good things about that reward structure), but it still really doesn't solve the problem of it just being "Spend a bunch of time in wvw." because you can't actually speed up the process through active play.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I did laugh at one of the rift map options being Tangled Depths

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CODChimera posted:

I did laugh at one of the rift map options being Tangled Depths

It's quite handy, can bang out a few rifts while you're waiting for the laser to fire after chak gerent

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Syenite posted:

Them increasing wvw reward track gain helps make GoB less stupid (even if they did it as compensation for removing one of the few good things about that reward structure), but it still really doesn't solve the problem of it just being "Spend a bunch of time in wvw." because you can't actually speed up the process through active play.

I just did the gift of battle and it went much quicker than I expected. Running the celebration booster, food, Experience booster and the guild buff I think I was earning something like 350 reward track xp per 5 minute tick. Pretty sure if my numbers are accurate it's only 5 hours of gameplay. Got a ranged build going, found the zerg, and stayed at tier 6 nonstop.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Syenite posted:

Removing the potions of track experience must have been to solve an issue I didn't know about. Math it out and saving those potions for a different track is still the same amount of time spent. The only thing I can think is that they didn't want folks saving them and then instantly completing new tracks but... who cares??

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

DARPA posted:

I just did the gift of battle and it went much quicker than I expected. Running the celebration booster, food, Experience booster and the guild buff I think I was earning something like 350 reward track xp per 5 minute tick. Pretty sure if my numbers are accurate it's only 5 hours of gameplay. Got a ranged build going, found the zerg, and stayed at tier 6 nonstop.

Huh. Today I learned about guild buffs.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m getting sucked into playing this again. All the terrible articles online say to do a necromancer for a beginner class. I haven’t played since launch where I played casually for a tiny bit. Any good class rundowns of actually how they play? I usually like ranged or magic classes but the guides seem to make people scared of them for being too complicated

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pick any job you like. None of them are super complicated.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
The articles arent wrong tbh, if you like staying alive w/o much effort then core necro is p nice.

The most complicated thing about it is bouncing in and out of shroud, and how complicated it gets from there depends on a lot of stuff that's hard to explain in a single post, like weapon choice/etc.

Honestly I wish they'd do a better job of giving a feel of how classes played at level 80 bc that's gonna be what makes or breaks it for you regardless.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 9, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teacup posted:

I’m getting sucked into playing this again. All the terrible articles online say to do a necromancer for a beginner class. I haven’t played since launch where I played casually for a tiny bit. Any good class rundowns of actually how they play? I usually like ranged or magic classes but the guides seem to make people scared of them for being too complicated

Necro is easily the most forgiving class.
Two of the specs give you an extra health bar, you have really high health and plenty of ways to keep you healthy.

Ranger is pretty easy. You can sit back with a longbow and let your bear tank everything. It's not optimal but who cares, if you're just starting out.

I think base Mesmer and Chronomancer are pretty simple. Cast spells until you have 3 clones and then hit F1, repeat. It has WAY more depth than that but you can get by with the basics.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

FlapYoJacks posted:

Bring back dual classes, ANet! Where is my Necro/Mesmer? :argh:

I was inexplicably drawn back to Guild Wars 1 in the past few days and I have absolutely zero qualms or hesitation in saying it's 100x better than 2. Still.

As much as I want them to go back to 1 in Oldschool Runescape style, ANet of 2023 would probably write a new story that somehow included Braham, Scarlet Briar, Trahearne, a love triangle, and a time machine, while inexplicably tanking the framerate to, like, 17.

Heartbreaking as it is, the people that brought us 1 just don't work there anymore.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
GW2 just can't hold a candle to GW1's expert storytelling

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Outside the lovely 2005 voice acting it's still more compelling than all of LWS1.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never played guild war one,..

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Factions cutscenes are brilliant and should be taught in any film studies class. (late spoilers)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

the slow zoom on the bonsai made me cackle

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

teacup posted:

If you search for something like "GW2 classes 2023" on YouTube, you'll get a selection of decent rundown nowadays.
ANet themselves have a difficulty indicator in the character creation screen now, but it was pretty much DOA, as they only compare the 3 classes of each armor weight amongst themselves.

Subjectively and trying to summarize community sentiment it's something like:
Easy: Necro, Ranger
Hard: Elementalist, Engineer, Revenant
Medium: everything else (people can't seem to decide if Warrior or Guardian is the easy heavy armor class)

That only really applies for your first one or two characters and if you have very little MMO experience though. After that you know enough to pick up any class and play it decently enough, with maybe 2-3 exceptions when it comes to their elite specializations. Fun options for magic and/or ranged classes in addition to the chill Ranger are Mesmer using Greatsword (Laserbeam go BRRR), elementalist using Sceptre/Focus (Burn all the things!) or Necro using Axe plus either Focus or Warhorn (I can't hear you over the sound of my minion army tearing you to shreds). If you like a demolitionist approach, a rifle engineer may be your thing as well (Flamethrower? Grenades? Bombs? Mortars? Why not all four?) Lastly, there is Pistol/Pistol Thief with a Shortbow as the second weapon set (unlocks at level 10), arguably the highest mobility class in the base game.

Lastly, re: ranged classes. In open world you'll be fine blasting things at range. In group setting you'll want to be closer to the action whenever possible, so you benefit from other players healing and buffs and they from yours, as most effects only apply to a radius around the caster.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 10, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This is probably still the best scene in all of Guilds Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx7F3wPfSLY

Takes place after some of the char decide to try to worshop and then summon destroyers, but instead of going forth and destroying char enemies they just kill their summoners and you have to clean up the mess.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 10, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The GW1 story is mostly schlocky, but EotN really stepped it up. There are almost parallels between the two games. Like - even though it was likely retroactive - the three campaigns of GW1 turned out to be 'oops Abaddon was behind everything that happened ever' similar to how GW2 is with the Elder Dragons. EotN was when they broke away from that with a new direction. Coincidentally, it was also a different model from previous new releases, being explicitly an expansion instead of standalone.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Whatever I think of the story I can tell anyone who crosses my path that the music is some of the best I have heard in a game. The HOT maps especially I cannot get enough of those tracks. I dorkily just put them on youtube and it always makes me feel calm & happy (you'd think I'd be having flashbacks to gangs of raptors and being sniped out the sky but nope). In fact I don't think I can think of anywhere where I don't really like the music.

Edit: I didn't play GW1 but I put the OST on as well, it's glorious. I love the music in these games (from all the composers over the years).

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 10, 2023

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

This GW1 talk has me wanting to see where I am in the story. I wouldn't be upset to spend a couple of nights running around doing nothing :D

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’ve been playing a few hours recently on my steam deck and the game runs well. There are a couple of really good control schemes you can choose from (a souls-like one and an one that uses the face buttons more). All you gotta do is bind the action camera key to the appropriate button on the deck the scheme says to.

I’d recommend giving it a shot if you have a deck.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I was curious about the actual numbers vis a vis Wizard's Vault vs the old system so I made a spreadsheet. https://t.ly/MmQJS

The vault actually came out SIGNIFICANTLY better than I expected (except for spirit shards), which is a pleasant surprise. Howver, downside is that it demands a lot more active play than the old system, and of course, doesn't allow for daily choice.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I didn’t care about the story in GW1 so I can’t fairly comment on it. But the PVP in GW1 was so good. It was on another level compared to anything GW2 has done. I miss it so much.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anet's in-game cinematic team has always been about on the quality level I'd expect from a teenagers first attempt at their very first early 2000's RTS scenario editor cinematic.

It's barely improved since the days of gw1 and early gw2.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anet's in-game cinematic team has always been about on the quality level I'd expect from a teenagers first attempt at their very first early 2000's RTS scenario editor cinematic.

That’s not true. GW2 used to be floating bodies with no movement.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Claw Island has stood for nearly a hundred years. It cannot fall! We'll fight them to the last soldier! To the last sword! We'll never surr—*dies to nothing*

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’ve been playing a few hours recently on my steam deck and the game runs well. There are a couple of really good control schemes you can choose from (a souls-like one and an one that uses the face buttons more). All you gotta do is bind the action camera key to the appropriate button on the deck the scheme says to.

I’d recommend giving it a shot if you have a deck.

I have always said GW2 was the MMO most suited to a controller and it's such a great shame they never attempted a console version. Having now played FF14 on a controller for a couple of months has done nothing but reinforce that opinion tenfold.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Claw Island has stood for nearly a hundred years. It cannot fall! We'll fight them to the last soldier! To the last sword! We'll never surr—*dies to nothing*

Internal injuries. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Oh you wiped out a baby mob for babies? Instant promotion.

EDIT:

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have always said GW2 was the MMO most suited to a controller and it's such a great shame they never attempted a console version. Having now played FF14 on a controller for a couple of months has done nothing but reinforce that opinion tenfold.

This is partly why I stick with Necro. Complicated control schemes make my brain fritz out - the more keys I have to remember the more likely I am to just blindly mash them and hope for the best - and I never quite got the hang of kb+mouse for whatever reason, so I stick to controller. It means classes with a ridiculously huge suite of options like Engineer will be a bit lost on me/severely underutilized, but for the most part, yea, I've been able to do controller without too much issue.

Conversely, if anyone knows a good controller program that allows for inputs like 'hold right bumper + press A button = f3,' etc, I am interested in hearing about it. I've been using keysticks and the best option that program has is 'flip to different control set-ups' which-- yeah, the brain fritz starts creeping in when we go past the two sets I have already.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 10, 2023