Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Seconding So Clover. Super fun at two players and a breeze to set up compared to Codenames Duet. Both wonderful games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Magnetic North posted:

Got a few small light games played yesterday between 3 total players.

The Mind is an amazing game. First time playing it in ages, and we somehow managed to beat all 10 rounds. We were just crazy in sync. It's super satisfying. Maybe playing Just One first primed us for this.

Wait until you figure out the elite level strats, such as “count to 100 in your head”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magnetic North posted:

The other low-theme co-op I can think of is The Fox in the Forest Duet. I have not played this but but I have played the competitive original (which I liked but not as much as Air Land and Sea) but I have heard positive things about the co-op. It's almost certainly better than trying to play something like The Crew with two.
It might get too easy / repetitive if you play it a lot with the same person but it's fun and fits all of the requirements.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
So Clover is a good filler game for meetups. Pretty much an infinite amount of people can show up to the table and hazard a guess. It's also one of those games with a scoring system that can be utterly ignored.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Redundant posted:

Slightly off topic, but how is Under Falling Skies? I keep looking at it, in part because a solid solo game that I can play with my SO occasionally would fill a notable gap in my collection. Are there any other stand out solo games I should be aware of? I don't mean Spirit Island or A Feast for Odin, although I have played them more solo than with friends :eng99:

It is harder than you'd think it would be considering it's a dice roller. It's also extremely stressful so we don't always have the energy to play it. It is mildly fiddly moving the ships around and trying to plan moves out. There is a very generous amount of content in the box. We have not finished the campaign, but there's tons in that very reasonably priced box. I have not played tons of solos, but it's probably the best solo-only game I've tried. There is a print and play version that I believe is still out there if you want to try the core concepts before buying it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Redundant posted:

Slightly off topic, but how is Under Falling Skies? I keep looking at it, in part because a solid solo game that I can play with my SO occasionally would fill a notable gap in my collection. Are there any other stand out solo games I should be aware of? I don't mean Spirit Island or A Feast for Odin, although I have played them more solo than with friends :eng99:

I consider Warp's Edge an essential for anyone who enjoys solo boardgaming. I prefer it to UFS, which most people love. Can't go wrong with either one.

Cartographers, Sprawlopolis, and ROVE are also fantastic solo game options.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought a single episode of final girl season 2, having never played final girl before, and I'm looking at the instructions and it is too confusing for me and I haven't played it once because of it

I bought the base game and one episode, camp happy trails from season 1. Neither the killer nor the location have any special rules, so I think its probably a good starting point, playing basic rules without anything modifying them before I know how they work normally. The rules arent actually as complicated as they seem, I had the same kind of reaction but just set it up and tried to muddle through. I was thinking of it as a dummy game, like how if I'm teaching a game to other people I'll often have us play out a dummy turn or two then reset and start "properly", but when its a solo game I guess its really just "playing a game and accepting I'm going to get the rules wrong". I got the gist of it pretty quickly and only hosed up a couple of minor things. There was a kind of "okay, the games told me all my possible actions and how I win, but I'm still not clear how I'm supposed to use those actions to get nearer victory in any given turn" feeling at first, but basically "you need to save as many campers as possible and balance that with trying to find a weapon" seems to be my basic strategy/short term goal.

I'm definitely not pretending it isnt overcomplicated in places or that the rulebook is great (they make a real meal of explaining when you shuffle actions in, and reading the rules on equipment cards being face up or not made it seem like that was going to be a much bigger deal than it is in the games I've actually played. It is also quite swingy based on luck of the draw, the first time I won it felt like the game was handing it to me (Good weapon faceup on the nearest equipment space, campers mainly very near exits also near me, killer cards being relatively benign, basically everything going my way), and conversely the first game after the learning game felt like I never had a chance. But its a solo game, and while the set up is surprisingly long (and takes up more space than I expected) resetting it is much quicker, so if it turns out to be a rout I can just reset and deal new cards. Basically what I'm saying is that while it has its issues I found theres a good enough game there to be worth persevering with, and that once you are actually playing the game its much simpler than it seems from the rulebook.

I have played a few games now, not claiming any particular expertise, but I like it enough that I'm probably going to pick up another couple of episodes (any recommendations for ones which have particularly interesting killer or location welcome), because I figure 3 total episodes gives 3 killers, 3 locations and 6 final girls, 54 different combinations, thats enough variety for a good long time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Codenames Duet is my wife and my go-to coffeeshop game when we have a few hours to spend out and about. It's fantastic - and it's great that it's co-op.

Are there many other games out there like it? Cooperative, lower-theme, easy to learn and explain? She's not a hardcore board gamer, so a suitably casual "feel" is welcome.

I will go to bat for Hanabi. My copy is easily the most beaten up game I have except Ghost Blitz (which is a great party dexterity game that lived in my bag at uni), and it's 90% games with my wife. It's a basic co-op card game where you have to put down the cards in the right order. But the twist is that you can only see the other player's hand, not your own. And then obviously there's ways to hint with built in information scarcity. You have to be willing to engage with the premise though, since cheating is super trivial.
Also it fits in a reasonably sized pocket or purse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hanabi is great but I only like it at 3-4.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Came to suggest So Clover for the Codenames Duet couple as well. It's better with more than 2p, as you get a little tug of war as folks guess, and you get more variety in the folks writing the clues, but it's still stellar and hilarious at 2p.

Also gonna stump for Botanik again - it's not co-op, but it has only a healthy dose of interaction (and a slight touch of hate drafting depending on players) and gives you some creative options for building your scoring elements. Plays in ~20m, 2p only, small box, cheap ($25 MSRP last I recall).

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 10, 2023

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Yeah, I've done 2p Hanabi a couple of times, but with an unlucky set of early draws you can't count on getting any 1s (set starters, for the uninitiated), and you'll be burning cards randomly, for a while.

3p and 4p level this out with more hands to work with.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought a single episode of final girl season 2, having never played final girl before, and I'm looking at the instructions and it is too confusing for me and I haven't played it once because of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ3IiUF4txE Is a pretty good setup/how to play video for Final Girl

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've played Hanabi ever only with my husband and I love it. Use the unofficial variant where you get 6 cards, and the Master Artisan Expansion to help even things out for 2 players.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zaphiel posted:

So Clover is the one you want. It completely replaced Codenames Duet for my and my husband. Ignore that the box says minimum 3 people, it works fantastic as a couples game.
Excellent. I'll check it out and talk to my flgs. Thanks!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Had a real sick game of 3p Forbidden Stars tonight. Orks left out, I played the Eldar. Game went all the way to the 8th round where I was able to secure the last two objectives I needed at once, exploiting my scheme that allowed me to put my order last on the stack. Winning as the Eldar feels so good, even more as I don't win this game that often generally.

But drat is it a long game. 5 1/2 hours with fairly speedy players on TTS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SiKboy posted:

I like it enough that I'm probably going to pick up another couple of episodes (any recommendations for ones which have particularly interesting killer or location welcome), because I figure 3 total episodes gives 3 killers, 3 locations and 6 final girls, 54 different combinations, thats enough variety for a good long time.

If you're picking up two more Features, I would first suggest Poltergeist/Creech Manor as it has a very different killer and win condition.

Then, as you have Hans/Camp Happy Trails I would recommend Evomorph/USS Konrad from series 2. I haven't played it yet, but being able to play Jason X is a selling point by itself. You'll also be prepared to do Event Horizon with the Hellraiser Feature from series 3 and any other "Horror Franchise... IN SPACE!" that takes your fancy.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
solo modes and solitaire games getting more and more accepted in boardgaming is a good developent. It´s got me to try solo gaming finally.
I played Marvel Champions started learning Spirit island on the App and it´s good. I prefer true solo for theme reasons, but I will probably play multihanded when I am familiar enough with the systems.
Can my fellow goons help me out with some recommendations and tips for solo gaming?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

discount cathouse posted:

Can my fellow goons help me out with some recommendations and tips for solo gaming?

Pax Pamir 2e has a great solo mode. I also like Viscounts of the West Kingdom better solo than multiplayer. Dune Imperium is really good, if you don't mind using an app.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SettingSun posted:

Had a real sick game of 3p Forbidden Stars tonight. Orks left out, I played the Eldar. Game went all the way to the 8th round where I was able to secure the last two objectives I needed at once, exploiting my scheme that allowed me to put my order last on the stack. Winning as the Eldar feels so good, even more as I don't win this game that often generally.

But drat is it a long game. 5 1/2 hours with fairly speedy players on TTS.

I've wanted to play this forever but it just feels so goddamn daunting to get out and teach and learn, especially when you're saying you guys knew what you were doing and it still took 5.5hrs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

I've wanted to play this forever but it just feels so goddamn daunting to get out and teach and learn, especially when you're saying you guys knew what you were doing and it still took 5.5hrs.

Yeah there's no getting around that it's a long game. We went the distance all 8 rounds and had a lot of combat which takes up a ton of time. It's a game like TI where we can't pull it out and play it on the regular. Still a heavy recommend. It's definitely not the most complicated game you could learn and teach.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Do you know how different it is from Starcraft? I've got that, but never ever play it, because it's just such a headache convincing people to try. But everyone loves warhams enough to give it a go. Could I just replace it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've never played the old Starcraft game, so I can only give an opinion from a read of the rules. From what I can tell, a lot of the ideas from SC are retained like the stacking orders, 8 round play, and the tech deck, but with a reduction of complexity. Just from a look it looks different enough to not be a straight upgrade.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can I get a rundown and details on the qualities and faults of Star Wars: Rebellion, with or without Rise of the Empire?

My only pointed question is a two-parter: is it right that Rise introduces replacement mission decks, and that each player can choose to use his Rise deck or his core deck independent of the other player's choice? If so, is a particular combination of core and Rise decks necessary for game balance?

Otherwise I just want to know about it. I have seen positive press for it in this thread and I want deets.

I think Forbidden Stars is a great game and I love it and want to play more matches but I have to agree it never escapes being a long play. I think it shines at 3p. A fourth player doesn't just add overall play time but means that now two humans are sitting and watching whenever there's one of FS's fairly involved combat sequences. I love that the combat sequences are as involved as they are but it's too much risk of too much time for any given person to be sitting and watching at 4p. 3p's where it's at.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best reason it plays well at 3 is because you play it on an immaculate 3x3 grid. For a similar reason Spirit Island 3p is the best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jedit posted:

If you're picking up two more Features, I would first suggest Poltergeist/Creech Manor as it has a very different killer and win condition.

Then, as you have Hans/Camp Happy Trails I would recommend Evomorph/USS Konrad from series 2. I haven't played it yet, but being able to play Jason X is a selling point by itself. You'll also be prepared to do Event Horizon with the Hellraiser Feature from series 3 and any other "Horror Franchise... IN SPACE!" that takes your fancy.

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation! I'll probably swing by my FLGS in the next week or so, I know they had creech manor, fingers crossed they have the space one, that sounds up my street.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SettingSun posted:

The best reason it plays well at 3 is because you play it on an immaculate 3x3 grid. For a similar reason Spirit Island 3p is the best.

I would play solo Spirit Island three handed just for the circular island if two handed weren't already such a brain burner.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SuperKlaus posted:

Can I get a rundown and details on the qualities and faults of Star Wars: Rebellion, with or without Rise of the Empire?

It's an interesting mix of deduction/hidden movement, worker placement, and dudes on a map with full dice combat resolution. A lot of folks compare it to War of the Ring for the scope and scale, and that's accurate, but mechanically they are almost entirely distinct.

Each turn players will play mission cards face down and assign characters to them or save them for later to challenge an opponents mission resolution or activate their troops to move them around the galaxy, leading to a lot of interesting narrative twists as well as a tug of war for control of planets and therefore resources and army production. The two sides have a variety of strategies to pursue. Rebels can go hard on sabotaging production, building up a lot of hero characters to commit to missions, producing a huge force at their hidden base, etc. The Empire can go deep on scouting the hidden base, amassing a way bigger army than the Rebels can ever hope to build, constantly capture Rebel characters limiting their choices, etc.

The catch in the base game is that the combat sucks. It's fiddly, long, and not particularly strategic. You don't have many combats, but they are important when they happen and a lot of games can come down to a large final battle at the Rebel base. The expansion smooths all of this out, replacing the combat cards, changing what leaders and dice do, and more. The rest of the expansion is more of the same, with new missions, characters, and army units from Rogue One era. It's all good content wise, but unnecessary. Unfortunately, you can't just port the combat changes over without the cards. You could probably houserule some of it like the Hero stats being rerolls, but it wouldn't get you all the way there.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

JoeRules posted:

Also gonna stump for Botanik again - it's not co-op, but it has only a healthy dose of interaction (and a slight touch of hate drafting depending on players) and gives you some creative options for building your scoring elements. Plays in ~20m, 2p only, small box, cheap ($25 MSRP last I recall).

Been looking at this one way too long, I think because no-one's gone truly crazy about it, I've let it pass. But I'm a sucker for small box big gameplay stuff like this.

Have you tried Akrotiri for similar mapbuilding vibe?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

. Edit: wrong thread.

I have all of Final Girl and really enjoy it, but I mostly play it with a friend and we collaboratively make decisions. It's really fiddly to set up the first time but it soon becomes pretty obvious as to what goes where.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2023

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

discount cathouse posted:

solo modes and solitaire games getting more and more accepted in boardgaming is a good developent. It´s got me to try solo gaming finally.
I played Marvel Champions started learning Spirit island on the App and it´s good. I prefer true solo for theme reasons, but I will probably play multihanded when I am familiar enough with the systems.

I love It's a Wonderful World. It is a really lean engine builder that plays under an hour.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone with ~opinions~ on Risk Shadow Forces?

Cause I just saw it for $25 AUD, which is basically 80% off

Edit: lol def not Raid Shadow Legends

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 12, 2023

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Spiteski posted:

Realised I never reported back on how our first game of Sidereal Confluence went!

We had 6 players, with the 5 "easy" races, and I took the Unity from the "harder" factions as it seemed the least complicated.
The end result was
Caylion Plutocracy - 48
Unity & Fadoran Conclave tied for 42
Im'dril Nomads on 38
Kjasjavimalimm & KT'ZR'KT'RTL tied for 32.

It was definitely a "learning pains" game as we all wrapped our heads around it but by the last couple rounds we were in full swing.
As Unity, I completely spaced on building my mech planets in order to get the strong converters, so wasn't really playing to my strengths, but that was offset by everyone else also learning and uncovering their tactics as they went.
Caylion absolutely creamed it as they smashed out all the colonies that everyone needed, seeding the really key ones for some players which then removed their reliance on my converters by the time I had realised I needed them out and working hard.

The Kit and Kjas had a rough start, and were a little more hurt by the fact that it took a couple rounds for people to fully realise the value of ships, so they didn't elicit much interest in trades from others early on which definitely hurt.

One of the fun things about Unity is that you can skew the way resources are balanced. No demand for big cubes? Make the computer worlds that turn them into ultratech or small cubes.
Too many smalls around? Upgrade your techs so that they take any small junk and charge a premium for your larges in trade.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I never see anyone talking about Dice Throne. I picked up the 4-pack of Marvel characters from Target on a whim when it was on clearance for $25. Since then, a few of my friends have become absolutely hooked. I think it's a combination of the easy-to-learn gameplay, satisfaction of dice rolling, and the appeal of character collection and selection. Since picking up the first pack of 4-characters, between my bother (who generally avoids board games) and I we have all but 4 characters. They're about to launch a Kickstarter an X-men pack in October also which is basic laser-targeted at me.

Have other people played this game and enjoyed it? It's a fun battler and been a decent gateway game. Plays best at 2 but also can be fun with 3 or 4.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Lord Wexia posted:

I never see anyone talking about Dice Throne. I picked up the 4-pack of Marvel characters from Target on a whim when it was on clearance for $25. Since then, a few of my friends have become absolutely hooked. I think it's a combination of the easy-to-learn gameplay, satisfaction of dice rolling, and the appeal of character collection and selection. Since picking up the first pack of 4-characters, between my bother (who generally avoids board games) and I we have all but 4 characters. They're about to launch a Kickstarter an X-men pack in October also which is basic laser-targeted at me.

Have other people played this game and enjoyed it? It's a fun battler and been a decent gateway game. Plays best at 2 but also can be fun with 3 or 4.

Is there a preview page for that kickstarter? I'd throw a watch up on it if so. I've played a bit and enjoy it but haven't played a lot because of a lack of a regular opponent.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Lord Wexia posted:

I never see anyone talking about Dice Throne.

We have a pair of characters from season 2 and the Christmas set (Santa and krampus). It’s fun! I’ve read ITT that it’s “Yahtzee with cards” and that’s not wrong, it’s also not bad.

One of the starter characters plays without a heal roll. You roll big and mitigate damage by… rolling bigger. I usually play that one while my wife figures out complex combos and attack chains (this gives you that status, and this happens, and then I get another roll, and then I…).

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

armorer posted:

Is there a preview page for that kickstarter? I'd throw a watch up on it if so. I've played a bit and enjoy it but haven't played a lot because of a lack of a regular opponent.

They are releasing info via social on Fridays until the KS is revealed in October. The latest thing is this teaser showing the first two confirmed characters which are unsurprisingly Wolverine and Psylocke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ii0mn3LzHw

As I have played more Dice Throne, it seems like the strategy is to try and hit abilities with as few rolls as possible (i.e. don't go chasing abilities, use what the dice give you) so that you don't get screwed by the opponent's card play forcing you to whiff. On the flipside, making your opponent whiff with cards is more important than using cards to alter your own dice to get a slightly stronger ability. That is of course unless you can safely finangle an ultimate because you know your opponent can't mess with it.

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2023

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Slimchandi posted:

Have you tried Akrotiri for similar mapbuilding vibe?

I've not - but this does look pretty interesting. I'll have to watch a playthrough.

Super bummed this new Dice Throne KS is just another round of Marvel. Not that Marvel Dice Throne is bad, but I'm not really interested in going back to that well so soon. The first hype video Roxley posted didn't show any game content but had a bunch of board game content creators losing their minds at what they were being shown, so literally my only thought was "sounds like it's a cool IP, and it's not Marvel." It's always loving Marvel.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 12, 2023

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I will talk about Dice Throne as much as you like because I bloody love it!

I got the Marvel one on Kickstarter and was immediately hooked, so I went and bought the other two seasons plus promo cards immediately. I usually play at least once a week with my frosthaven buddy, since there are two of us and often we don't want to do another FH mission but still want to have a couple of drinks and play games that aren't total lightweight/filler. DT is absolutely perfect to fill that spot.

Although he gets mad at me because I seem to roll straights really, really frequently.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hell, I even made a Dice Throne thread at one time! It may still be around, even?

I loving love it. It's a good length, a good depth of strategy, and it's got some of the best production values in the whole industry.

I play it with my kids all the time. It's awesome.

e:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
played something new recently all my friends enjoyed and have not seen mentioned.

Reincardnated is a good game!

it's themed on progressing towards being human from a plant. Scoring cards are drawn randomly and hidden unless you use a power to look. So you might have a card that favors a certain type of being or a card that favors all your stuff dying. Some cards even look at your opponents stuff for powerful bonus points.

Each turn you can play one or two "karma" utility cards or instead of one of the karma cards your last action can be to incarnate as a new "being", plant, aquatic, amphibious, insect, mammal, and bird. Each incarnation adds a being to your lifeline and when you do so you can trigger that being particular ability. many being abilities are to peek at the scoring card of a single player. There's a lot of scoring cards with a variety of effects. Only certain beings, and under certain conditions, can incarnate to man, ending the game at the end of the current round of player turns and giving the player to do so a bonus. +

It's not my favorite but most of the people I played with in two separate groups ended up liking and buying it.