Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure when he did it Harley Quinn was still only really known to people who watched cartoons at least, way before she blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Harley also started being used as a girl's name in the US in 1991 so it's easy for it to just be a regular name and not the comics reference if Harley Smith wants it to be: https://www.behindthename.com/name/harley/top/united-states

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I know someone who transitioned and briefly became Harley, but then changed it to Haley because nerds ruined it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Arivia posted:

Harley also started being used as a girl's name in the US in 1991 so it's easy for it to just be a regular name and not the comics reference if Harley Smith wants it to be: https://www.behindthename.com/name/harley/top/united-states

She uses the full name so I'm guessing she likes that better

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I will not hear another word spoken against Khaleesi Psylocke Argonian Maid Smith

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
uh her real name is Lifts-Her-Tail, obviously

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That was her cousin, whose sister was ecksdee rawr.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

There are some countries out there where if you have a kid you have to name them something from a preapproved list or get the courts to okay it or whatever, and I always thought that was a really stupid and restrictive policy. But then I see poo poo like this and it makes me think that maybe they have the right idea

It seems sensible in the context of rich idiots naming their kids stupid stuff. But it would be a disaster in the US because of our history of systemic racism. I can't tell you how many Facebook rants I've seen about black people with "made up names". Or co-workers cracking jokes about native American names.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

wash bucket posted:

It seems sensible in the context of rich idiots naming their kids stupid stuff. But it would be a disaster in the US because of our history of systemic racism. I can't tell you how many Facebook rants I've seen about black people with "made up names". Or co-workers cracking jokes about native American names.

The number of people who have personally sworn they've met in real life a woman named Q-a is too drat high.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dameius posted:

The number of people who have personally sworn they've met in real life a woman named Q-a is too drat high.

She’s best friends with Orangello, Lemonjello and Obgyn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Name your kid after a regex pattern so you have multiple choices for what to call them later

/Al+ai?n+e?/, come down for dinner

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What dialect though, PCRE, ECMA, ERE (GNU or POSIX ERE)?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like this one for some reason.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

I know someone who transitioned and briefly became Harley, but then changed it to Haley because nerds ruined it.

I know someone who was born Harley in the 80s, when that name was associated with tough guys and motorcycles, and then transitioned but kept the name because now it's a very femme name.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Henchman of Santa posted:

She’s best friends with Orangello, Lemonjello and Obgyn

I mean there's literally a dude named Kool-Aid playing for Alabama right now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

What dialect though, PCRE, ECMA, ERE (GNU or POSIX ERE)?

BRE. But people gawk.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

endocriminologist posted:

Batman bin suparman probably has a great life but he's the exception

What's weird is that "bin" usually designates the father's name. So he's batman, son of suparman.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i named my kid after the actor who played my favorite star trek captain

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean there's literally a dude named Kool-Aid playing for Alabama right now.

He got paid for that! He's really named Ga'Quincy.

e: TIL he got the nickname not from liking Kool-Aid but because his smile reminded his grandma of the Kool-Aid Man.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Sep 10, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Byzantine posted:

I like this one for some reason.

:golfclap:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I'd been born a girl (my parents didn't want to know my sex before I was born) I would have been named Eleanor, but called Nora after Nora Charles, the character from The Thin Man. Which sounds classy because it's an old movie, but I don't see how different it really is from Harley Quinn Smith's name.

My mom is named Robin and I'm like 99% sure it's because my grandma had a huge crush on Errol Flynn when she was a teenager. She apparently watched the movie like 30 times in the theater, it was her Titanic.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Better be named Avery

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Naming a goon after a thin man seems wildly optimistic

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wash bucket posted:

Meanwhile, Kayeighlynne is a completely normal and in no way made up name.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ronny?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know my actual name is their "backup" name because my uncle and aunt had a kid the year before I was born with their first choice. But I genuinely like my eventual name more than the one they had in mind. Now I'm curious what my parents would have called me if I was a girl.

kdrudy posted:

Better be named Avery
:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Happy birthday to little Chris Pike

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

He got paid for that! He's really named Ga'Quincy.

e: TIL he got the nickname not from liking Kool-Aid but because his smile reminded his grandma of the Kool-Aid Man.

That's really sweet (no pun intended).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It bugs me that Aubrey has become a girls name. It means “elf KING” darn it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Scott Bakuka?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s a Rear Admiral’s name and it is fantastic regardless of gender

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Whitney and Ashley were originally boy's names.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Naming your kid John or Eli or whatever is the same thing, it's just that the Bible is old so people get away with it. Universe fanfiction isn't any less stupid than cartoon fanfiction.

Humans love calling their kids stupid bullshit (former Thomas here) and all this "lol stupid names" crap is often, although not always, just dogwhistle racism.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

wash bucket posted:

We have one of those lists in Denmark, and whenever it's updated with new ethnic names, the papers write haha, look at these silly names articles. Invariably, the silly names are completely ordinary names from other countries. Like, Piphat is a common name in Thailand, but "pip" means "tweet" in Danish, so it's like a hat for tweeting, hahaha!

Imagine being the Thai couple who picked that name, only for national media to mock your choice.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Sep 10, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"Khaleesi" is dumb because it's not even the character's name, it's like naming your kid Darth instead of Anakin.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Air Skwirl posted:

Whitney and Ashley were originally boy's names.

Evil Dead's Ash's full first name is even Ashley.

Ashley Joanna Williams.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think English is the language where names are the most divorced from their literal meaning, just by virtue of borrowing them from so many other languages.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Naming your kid John or Eli or whatever is the same thing, it's just that the Bible is old so people get away with it. Universe fanfiction isn't any less stupid than cartoon fanfiction.

Humans love calling their kids stupid bullshit (former Thomas here) and all this "lol stupid names" crap is often, although not always, just dogwhistle racism.

None of this is going to stop me from dragging a parent who names their kid Hermione.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mycot posted:

"Khaleesi" is dumb because it's not even the character's name, it's like naming your kid Darth instead of Anakin.

Ehh, I don't even remember that characters actual name, so I get it. I do feel bad for all the kids named that before the series ended though. "Oh you're named after your parent's fictional character, how did that end?" It's obviously not the same since it's a tv show and not actual real life acts, but a bit like like naming your kid Osama in the late 80's early 90s because of how brave he was standing up to the Russian invaders of Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thing is you could name your daughter Danni and basically be calling her after that character.