Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mystes posted:

the cybertruck is so weirdly angular/sharp I wouldn't be surprised if someone could cut their hand off opening/closing a door or something

It's probably pretty safe because it's so easy to clip through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mystes posted:

the cybertruck is so weirdly angular/sharp I wouldn't be surprised if someone could cut their hand off opening/closing a door or something

Now this is car design I can get behind. Make it literally hazardous to open the fucker.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I really don’t like cars very much

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

was taking my lane today on a bicycle and a big pickup roared past me on a double yellow and almost head on collided with another huge pickup and I laughed and laughed. the other truck had to drive on the grass causa you. you coulda waited like 15 seconds for the road to straighten out so you could see 100 ft in front of you but no. idiot

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I really don’t like cars very much

They seem, uh, bad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dante80 posted:

Someone commented that the Cybertruck might be a little unsafe for being in the street and

Some stable geniuses right here....

One of the inventors of the Duesenberg died crashing his supercharged Duesenberg

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Duesenberg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

It was the first Car Free Sunday for the city of Makati, so the gang all came out to support. They closed off the main business district to just walkers and bikers. Good stuff, hope they keep the program.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the inventors of the Duesenberg died crashing his supercharged Duesenberg

:owned:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

nowhere is safe.

quote:

The group, a nonprofit organization with trained volunteers who assist in recovering stuck off-roaders around the state, first got the call about the stuck motorist on August 27 through their dispatch line. According to McBryde, the driver of the Arkansas-tagged vehicle, which The Drive identified as a GMC Canyon AT4, apparently “missed a sign” and drove up the increasingly precipitous hiking trail until his rear wheel slipped on the scree field and slid off the trail. While he managed to hike down into the nearby town of Alma, the truck remained trapped there, high on the slopes of Mt. Lincoln.
https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/truck-stuck-colorado-fourteener-decalibron-loop/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

leave it there, like a sunken ship that becomes a reef

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

They got it off the mountain yesterday.

They used a Bobcat to un-stuck it and haul it down, which isn't quite as ideal as tipping it over and letting it roll to the bottom, but at least it's off the mountain

Also :lol: at this shade

quote:

It's not meant to connect to the Decalibron trail system according to Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery spokesperson Kimi McBryde, who said the path could nevertheless resemble an off-road trail to an "untrained eye." As the truck was registered in Arkansas, the driver is believed to fit that description.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I should hope that the training required to get a driver's license includes instruction about what a road looks like.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Kinda shocked that thing got stuck, doesn't seem like the terrain is that rough? I would have thought these ostensibly off-road vehicles would be able to drive around on that kind of scree slope otherwise what are they good for?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Scree is probably a pain to navigate the heavier you get as I have heard of mother bears taking their cubs that high to keep them from males. Also this guy didn't sound like an experienced offroader, doubly for the conditions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Blackhawk posted:

Kinda shocked that thing got stuck, doesn't seem like the terrain is that rough? I would have thought these ostensibly off-road vehicles would be able to drive around on that kind of scree slope otherwise what are they good for?

These off-road vehicles are designed to drive around a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ensign Expendable posted:

These off-road vehicles are designed to drive around a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Found the front tyre of my road bike flat after I last rode it, I reiterate my belief that the penalty for smashing glass bottles on the road or footpath should be immediate summary execution.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Scree is probably a pain to navigate the heavier you get as I have heard of mother bears taking their cubs that high to keep them from males. Also this guy didn't sound like an experienced offroader, doubly for the conditions.

Scree is absolutely a pain in the rear end to navigate, there's a reason that hikers - who weigh orders of magnitude less than these machines - avoid it if at all possible

I've literally hiked down the exact trail that that truck got stuck on and will never ever do it again

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They got it off the mountain yesterday.

They used a Bobcat to un-stuck it and haul it down, which isn't quite as ideal as tipping it over and letting it roll to the bottom, but at least it's off the mountain

Also :lol: at this shade

I wonder how much damage the truck and the bobcat did to the mountain?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cars are dumb as gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blackhawk posted:

Found the front tyre of my road bike flat after I last rode it, I reiterate my belief that the penalty for smashing glass bottles on the road or footpath should be immediate summary execution.

what about roads for cars

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

that's in the middle of the first rescue attempt and they also mention that the scree buried the rear wheels up to the axle and it took 12 hours of digging to clear

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fermun posted:

that's in the middle of the first rescue attempt and they also mention that the scree buried the rear wheels up to the axle and it took 12 hours of digging to clear

I really hope they sent an itemized bill for the trash removal.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blackhawk posted:

but what else are motorists supposed to do with their empty liquor bottles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Manila traffic authority came out with a report over the weekend stating that they saw the massive influx of private cars dropping-off and picking-up students from a large campus built right alongside a main thoroughfare as being the cause of the horrendous traffic along said thoroughfare (now that schools are mostly all the way back to full face-to-face)

this has, of course, resulted in some takes:

quote:

To attribute it to one reason shows how little research and thought goes into this conclusion. Saturday is the worst traffic day in that area, school is closed. 🙄

quote:

The source is definitely not the private schools, but the lack of convenient public transpo for these rich kids. Even rich kids in developed countries ride trains, because of their convenience.

quote:

would you rather they closed the schools so there's no traffic?

quote:

Even those residing in gated villages right next to the school, stillopt to drive their kids rather than letting them commute. Why? The answer is simple: SAFETY.

As parents, it's our responsibility to ensure our children's safety. It's not fair to criticize us for that; instead, the government should be called out to address these issues. After all, we, too, are taxpayers.

quote:

How parents handle the safety of their kids, up to them.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Blackhawk posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to GP4s or Gators

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Went walking around Nairobi today and the drivers here do not even slow down for pedestrians unless you have a critical mass of folks trying to cross a road and even then you'll get some drivers trying to speed around the stopped cars. First impression is that these are the worst drivers I've seen anywhere in the I think eight countries I've been to in Africa. I'll checkout some other neighborhoods later, but pretty disappointing so far.

It's a bummer in most of the sub-saharan capitals I've been to that walking around is barely an afterthought to whoever built these loving roads. Every lovely sidewalk and edge of the road is packed with pedestrians because unsurprisingly the majority of people in low/middle-income countries come nowhere close to affording cars. Yet entire cities are built around cars at extreme expense. It's like American cities, but without the sidewalks and the only mass transit are buses (often ancient and crumbling things) and also no one can afford a car oh yeah and even a professional salary often doesn't allow you to live near your work because housing is insane.

I did see a guy blitz down a loving boulevard shirtless on inline speed skates today, so that was pretty cool.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
I had a similar experience when I visited Fez and Marrakesh in Morocco. being a tourist I mainly stayed in the medinas which are basically impossible to drive in, but venturing outside those areas was kinda terrifying. it was also a shame how badly all the two stroke scooter engines pollute.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That's one thing that does suck about so many developing countries. You've got like 2% of the richest fucks that have cars and they'll happily murder anyone who gets in their way. The traffic death stats in a lot of Africa and parts of South America are grim.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ham Equity posted:

I wonder how much damage the truck and the bobcat did to the mountain?

drove right through a bristlecone pine scenic area...sure it's fine

quote:

Bristlecone Pine Scenic Area is located atop Windy Ridge at the eastern foot of Mount Bross. The winds from which the ridge gets its name have caused the trees to take on their weathered appearance. A native of the Rocky Mountains, these conifers are found at elevations that exceed 8,000 feet and are often found right at timberline. Colorado contains the most easterly found environments for bristlecone pines in the United States. This scenic area was established in 1967 to protect a unique grove of beautifully formed bristlecones, some of which are 800 years old.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've had this cargo bike for 12 years and it has hauled all sorts of things but never animals so today was a first (not my dog but still, a dog!)

Now it just needs a new bottom bracket again because the one I put in in January was poo poo. Oh and brake pads and a new caliper that doesn't leak. And I really should fix those horns so they work and I can talk to cars again. And redo half the wiring.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1187224861/electric-vehicles-evs-cars-chargers-charging-energy-secretary-jennifer-granholm

This article has everything. Government elites blocking a family from a charger, obvious bullshit story about children inspiring Ford's capitulation to Tesla, this:

quote:

On town hall stops along her road trip, Granholm made a passionate, optimistic case for this transition. She often put up a photo of New York City in 1900, full of horses and carriages, with a single car. Then another slide: "Thirteen years later, same street. All these cars. Can you spot the horse?"

One horse was in the frame.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they're gonna put charging stations right on the freeway in the most congested areas so you can top up while you're in a traffic jam

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

i've heard EV sales are slowing now, but I'm not sure

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Sep 10, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

they're gonna put charging stations right on the freeway in the most congested areas so you can top up while you're in a traffic jam

Big C&C style Tesla Coils so you can get charged up without even having to stop. Sure, a pedestrian will get zapped every couple of days, but that's just the cost of doing business.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

actionjackson posted:

lol

i've heard EV sales are slowing now, but I'm not sure

Insane Tesla fanboy blog that's just as biased as all of them, but Tesla is shipping a ton of cars now and people are buying them: https://electrek.co/2023/07/25/tesla-now-outsells-toyota-in-california/

Also, even if consumers won't buy them, Hertz will: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/14/hertz-is-going-electric-with-big-implications-for-ev-and-auto-market.html

Hertz's fleet is pretty big and they say they're going to be 1/4 EVs in 2024, probably accelerating rapidly. They already bought a fuckton of Model 3s and are continuing to buy more. Of course, the "why" doesn't have a lot to do with EVs being more efficient or better for the environment or anything, but because at scale Hertz can buy a Tesla a hell of a lot cheaper than they can buy a Camry for. I'm curious if Teslas becoming the default cheap rental car option are going to do brand damage to them like it did to GM and Chrysler. A lot of peoples first EV experience is going to be a dinged up, abused rental Tesla that gets handed over to them at 20% charge.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1187224861/electric-vehicles-evs-cars-chargers-charging-energy-secretary-jennifer-granholm

This article has everything. Government elites blocking a family from a charger, obvious bullshit story about children inspiring Ford's capitulation to Tesla, this:

quote:

That started to change this year when Tesla struck a deal with the White House to open some chargers to the general public. And the walled garden blew wide open after Ford announced it was adopting Tesla's charging technology. Future Fords will come with the Tesla-style plug, and starting in January, existing-Ford owners can buy an adapter and plug in.

Ford's announcement kicked off an astonishing shift. In the weeks after, General Motors, Rivian, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and Nissan all announced that they too were adopting Tesla's technology. This means that as soon as next year, the EV road trip experience could be dramatically different for non-Tesla drivers.

And then, in a separate surprise move this summer, seven legacy automakers — BMW, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis (formerly known as Fiat Chrysler) — announced they were banding together in a joint venture to launch a new, as-yet-unnamed, charging network.

They plan to build 30,000 superfast 350-kilowatt chargers — even bigger and faster than the Supercharger network.

Meanwhile, existing companies like ChargePoint are clearly feeling pressure to fix their unreliable and underperforming chargers. ChargePoint just announced it's spending millions of dollars on a new operations center and other programs meant to "deliver near-100% charging reliability."

Great, we're going to need five times as many charging stations as we have gas stations to support all the different standards. And of course, we'll still need gas stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Insane Tesla fanboy blog that's just as biased as all of them, but Tesla is shipping a ton of cars now and people are buying them: https://electrek.co/2023/07/25/tesla-now-outsells-toyota-in-california/

Also, even if consumers won't buy them, Hertz will: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/14/hertz-is-going-electric-with-big-implications-for-ev-and-auto-market.html

Hertz's fleet is pretty big and they say they're going to be 1/4 EVs in 2024, probably accelerating rapidly. They already bought a fuckton of Model 3s and are continuing to buy more. Of course, the "why" doesn't have a lot to do with EVs being more efficient or better for the environment or anything, but because at scale Hertz can buy a Tesla a hell of a lot cheaper than they can buy a Camry for. I'm curious if Teslas becoming the default cheap rental car option are going to do brand damage to them like it did to GM and Chrysler. A lot of peoples first EV experience is going to be a dinged up, abused rental Tesla that gets handed over to them at 20% charge.

lolling thinking about random tourists learning how long it takes to charge their fancy rental car