Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
they're sPrEadINg aWarEneSs lmao

great job everybody problem solved we put a net in one stream and captured some plastic everyone can keep buying disposable trash wrapped in 10 layers of disposable trash with marketing bullshit on it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

anyone hungry for some dates?

https://news.yahoo.com/shopper-shares-infuriating-photo-packaged-200000980.html

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm craving a bowl of individually wrapped cornflakes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

putting the waste in the water is very pro-solution since much of it is soluble. please take a chem course

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nodelphi posted:

Recycle wind turbines into big fans to cool off your neighborhood.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Harik posted:

what they don't do, which makes this entire endeavour nothing than egotistical self-satisfied masturbation, is identify the companies found in the waste and impose fines on them.

This is one bit of runoff in one country. Capturing this waste isn't even a rounding error on the amount going into the ocean. It is, quite literally, entirely a waste of resources because it's an anti-solution to the problem.

the river that one flows into is incredibly disgusting and is estimated to account for 2% of the world's plastic ocean pollution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vacas_River

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i will only eat the gummy windmill if its shaped like a windmill & is full sized

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Wow almost as bad as individually packaged after-dinner mints or 90 billion other things I can think of off the top of my head :nallears:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

pectin is the superior binding agent

especially when combined with thc and cbd

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

Wow almost as bad as individually packaged after-dinner mints or 90 billion other things I can think of off the top of my head :nallears:

In some places your can buy plastic-wrapped single bananas.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

bananas already have wrappers :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

smoobles posted:

bananas already have wrappers :psyduck:

For some reason this feels like a condom on a condom.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:eng101: recycle used condoms into banana wrappers

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

cash crab posted:

:eng101: recycle used condoms into banana wrappers

After reusing them obv.

(Turn inside out and shake the gently caress out of them)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lol at "maybe we can make gummi bears out of wind turbines" yeah I'm definitely going to eat that poo poo :jerkbag: lol gently caress you I'm not some animal you can use to dispose of your waste from your bad decisions

:stare: first saw this when phonereading thought it was a shitpost. :wtf:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haribo would never allow it in the wonderful world

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Gummy bears? What the gently caress.

I've never looked at a wind turbine and thought "mmm I could really go for a bag of those"

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

For some reason this feels like a condom on a condom.

It reminds me of sex ed class in high school when the PE teacher demonstrated how condoms work

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I've never looked at a wind turbine and thought "mmm I could really go for a bag of those"

I would love a bag of miniature wind turbines. Glue em to my bicycle and generate enough power for a light or something

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbvAAT3j4A

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Microplastics posted:

carbon is a wonderful element

https://youtu.be/vHuFizITMdA

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Scientists Create Gummy Bears From Wind Turbines posted:

In a media briefing from the American Chemical Society (ACS) Fall 2022, Dorgan commented, “the holy grail in polymer recycling is always to go from the same application back to the same application.” This is known as “bottle-to-bottle recycling.”

In addition to reusing the resin to create more wind turbine components such as blades, it can be combined with other materials to make sinks or countertops for household use. The team produced cultured stone by mixing the resin, which Dorgan and his team have used to create a full-sized bathroom sink. The recovered material can be combined with other plastic resins for injection molding, which can be used to create consumer goods like speakers, blenders, and laptop coverings.

Not stopping there, Dorgan and his team turned from physical to chemical processing of the thermoplastic resin. By digesting the resin in an alkaline solution, the team could extract poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA), also known as plexiglass. This material can be used to create taillights for automotive manufacturing and other products.

Poly (methacrylic acid) was also produced by increasing the temperature during alkaline digestion. Dorgan and his team also recovered food-grade potassium lactate, which they used to make some gummy bear candies. Although Dorgan had a taste, he admitted there may be some pushback from people trying candies like this in the future.

Another hurdle is the lack of enough bioplastic material to create enormous structures like wind turbines. Dorgan expressed that there would need to be a significant production volume of the resin material to make this possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ17I2G_SNM&t=362s

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Sep 10, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Gonna get doctor dreadfuls food lab 2.0, but it won't be to solve hunger or make us healthier.

I guess it wasn't the first time around either.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

frozenphil posted:

What if we combined the killing power of cows and cars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn7SsxK_4Hc

All that car customisation and the poo solution was "yeah just let it poo poo all over the back window and down the side"

For shame.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
what a bullshit ticket.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Okay, a bit less freaky thing I thought it would be... except for possible purity issues in practice.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Microplastics posted:

All that car customisation and the poo solution was "yeah just let it poo poo all over the back window and down the side"

For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q1-oP4o4pk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
oof, lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*shaking your hand vigorously* hi there I'm murray frank but you can call me mu-

the guy whose fireproof house b-

I'VE LEARNED FROM MY EXPERIENCES but anyway you can call me murray are you ready to check out the property

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"This is an amazing opportunity" says guy who gets paid to tell people how to fireproof their homes which then burn down anyway

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
"what are you gonna do, burn me down?" - quote from cabin that was burned down

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

family legacy like in the ck3 sense

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Buck Wildman posted:

*shaking your hand vigorously* hi there I'm murray frank but you can call me mu-

the guy whose fireproof house b-

I'VE LEARNED FROM MY EXPERIENCES but anyway you can call me murray are you ready to check out the property

lol yeah, dude sounds like he has big gil gunderson energy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

The cabin's construction is featured in an educational series on how to build a net-zero home that embraces some of the new technologies in the construction of residential homes, including fire-proofing in case of wildfires.

i wonder if they banked carbon credits in case it burned down to make it "net zero"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Net zero-value home

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

someone take .gifs of this for the next time Stereotype has to hand out some probes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What is it going to do? Burn down? - Guy who’s house burned down.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Why is it so hard to build a house that won't burn down? Just build it out of things that are not flammable. Like entirely out of Rolex watches.

Do I have to think of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just carve your new home into the side of a mountain, we used to do it you know and they only sometimes become an active volcano.