Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MikeJF posted:

The Probe also did that thing where it rotates 90°, when it starts talking to the whales.

And Lower Decks has made a point of establishing beluga whales on board as crew, perfect for if they want to follow that storyline up...

"Just because we're whales doesn't mean we all speak Humpback, Bradward! It's a completely distinct dialect with its own deep history and traditions!"

MikeJF posted:

Eh, the original episode has it seemingly come in on an extragalactic trajectory and I like that idea better. Just some horror from another galaxy potentially millions of years ago.

Completely agree, 99% of the time a sequel or derivative work tries to explain some mystery like that it just diminishes the impact and alien-ness of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Really expected the space whales at the end of last seasons Discovery to be the one who sent the whale probe but apparently those are different space whales.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, the original episode has it seemingly come in on an extragalactic trajectory and I like that idea better. Just some horror from another galaxy potentially millions of years ago.

Yeah, one of the things that only TOS has really pulled off is the whole "SPACE IS loving UNKNOWABLE AND HORRIFYING" thing. The closest I can think of in any of the spin-offs, strangely, is "The Royale." And that episode is just goofy as gently caress (I love it, but come on).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Just because we're whales doesn't mean we all speak Humpback, Bradward! It's a completely distinct dialect with its own deep history and traditions!"
You’d think Starfleet would have busted rear end to get Humpback added to the universal translator

quote:

Completely agree, 99% of the time a sequel or derivative work tries to explain some mystery like that it just diminishes the impact and alien-ness of the original.
Yeah also not everything needs to tie to everything else; not every loving superbeing has to be related to Q!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, one of the things that only TOS has really pulled off is the whole "SPACE IS loving UNKNOWABLE AND HORRIFYING" thing. The closest I can think of in any of the spin-offs, strangely, is "The Royale." And that episode is just goofy as gently caress (I love it, but come on).

Where Silence Has Lease also gets there

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Where Silence Has Lease also gets there

I'll have to rewatch that one, it's been a while.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, everyone gets turned into whales, then?

I hope there's a depression joke in there.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The maybe whales enemy ship reminds me most of Slave One Boba Fett's Starship

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I haven't seen the whale movie so I originally thought the ship in the lower decks opening was a giant space burrito :shobon:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah I need to watch star trek 2 at some point, the whole whale plot seems interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The one with the whales is 4. 2 has worms

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I need to watch star trek 2 at some point, the whole whale plot seems interesting.

That's not the one with the whale, that's just where Scotty gains some wait

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

maybealabia posted:

The maybe whales enemy ship reminds me most of Slave One Boba Fett's Starship

When it turns vertical it looks a whole lot like a face to me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m literally watching Wrath of Khan right now. Still holds up, despite its cetacean deficiency.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Dolash posted:

When it turns vertical it looks a whole lot like a face to me.

Masaka is warping

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I need to do a 2-3-4 rewatch again. The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Okay, so humpbacks going extinct is an integral part of the story of Star Trek 4. So does that mean that the current increases in humpback population are the result of Romulan time fuckery and eventually they'll all get destroyed as an additional battle front in whatever the combined WWIII/Eugenics War thingy must be now.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

skasion posted:

You've ruined that guys movie experience. Spending all of wrath of Khan going "Wow, how are the whales going to fit in to this!" would have been great

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

skasion posted:

Hmm...that seems wrong.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

T.C. posted:

Okay, so humpbacks going extinct is an integral part of the story of Star Trek 4. So does that mean that the current increases in humpback population are the result of Romulan time fuckery and eventually they'll all get destroyed as an additional battle front in whatever the combined WWIII/Eugenics War thingy must be now.

Don't worry, we'll hunt them to extinction again once poo poo gets too unstable. Plenty of time to gently caress this planet up before the Vulcans pass though!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I rewatched LWD S4E2 again, and I'm gonna say it's easily top 1% of sci-fi television.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

White Gladis will lead them in an unsuccessful revolt.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Boxturret posted:

always nice to see a fellow film buff

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

T.C. posted:

One day they'll gently caress with the wrong yacht, and it will mean war.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Maybe instead of microbes from Europa, we just need tons of whale blubber to fix the ozone layer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A good poster posted:

Maybe instead of microbes from Europa, we just need tons of whale blubber to fix the ozone layer.

We did fix it! It's like the one thing we did manage!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

That's strange, the comments are working for me and they are very much in uproar over the absence of Prodigy.

edit:

Carbon dioxide posted:

The video is entirely unavailable to me.

E: However the Star Trek Day video from 2 days ago is still available and does have all the Prodigy comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMwq6IdcivY

It's heartening to see that like 95% of the comments are people expressing their displeasure over Prodigy getting murdered and dumped in a shallow grave versus like 5% of people who are still mad the Modern Trek exists and/or bigots upset that they had to see a drag queen on screen for a minute or two. Shame that Paramount doesn't care, but at least people aren't gonna give them a moment's peace or quarter when it comes to it.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Is there a quick summary of whatever's going on with Prodigy?

I pretty much ignore Trek except for when Lower Decks is running but I'm curious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shyrka posted:

I pretty much ignore Trek except for when Lower Decks is running but I'm curious.

Paramount cancelled it, despite season 2 being almost complete, and scrubbed it from Paramount+. Now they seem to be refusing to acknowledge that it even exists in marketing material.

The show isn't dead, theoretically. It's supposedly being shopped around to other streamers or networks, and they even posted a clip of season 2 online, but it's not a sure thing it'll come back,

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Shyrka posted:

Ineffable corporate fuckery

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I thought Spock said humpbacks went extinct in the 20th century, but looks like he said the 21st. Plenty of time to hunt them to extinction still!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

T.C. posted:

Moopsy is very effective character design... By which I mean, every time I see a picture I can't help but say "Moopsy!"

Whenever Moopsy is not on screen, everyone should be wondering where Moopsy is.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

A.o.D. posted:

Whenever Moopsy is not on screen, everyone should be terrified that they don't know where Moopsy is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I would absolutely phaser the poo poo out of Moopsy. gently caress that noise entirely.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

I would absolutely phaser the poo poo out of Moopsy. gently caress that noise entirely.

¡Dios mio!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

That just divides them into two Moopsies

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

That's a great way to get your bones sucked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should keep the voyager flower to immediately tuvix transporter clones together with themselves whenever that happens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

That's a great way to get your bones sucked.

That's why you shoot the Moopsy first so it doesn't suck your bones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

That's why you shoot the Moopsy first so it doesn't suck your bones!

Did you see how fast Moopsy moved when provoked emotionally? That's you in the corner, that's you in the sack of flesh. Losing your bones.

Trying to keep an eye on Q.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2023