Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kwyndig posted:

SGE has placeable mit, so I'd call it a shield healer just for that, let alone for all the shield buttons it has.

true that. [pan]haima are some of the coolest things ive seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The main difference between “shield healers” and “pure healers” is access to mitigation and regens.

Pure healers have spammable healing on tap and mitigating abilities on short to long cooldowns.

Shield healers have shield and mitigation on tap and short CDs, and regens/big heals on short to long CDs

For most Duty Finder content, your various CDs will cover most groups, and your GCDs will make up if the group is struggling for one reason or another.

For difficult content, you can expect to be taking 2-3x your hp bar in a short period. This is where the combination of %mitigation and straight green numbers will keep people from falling over.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i really should check out whm as i havent explored that side of healer game at all

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh brother was the HW PLD storyline bad.

A shame too because I find playing pld fun and not as thoughtless as the other two Tank jobs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh brother was the HW PLD storyline bad.

A shame too because I find playing pld fun and not as thoughtless as the other two Tank jobs.
Heavensward had this perfect setup with you training alongside the Knights of Ishgard or the Free Paladin you meet in the 30-50 storyline, and instead they said "what if your job stone could turn off if you were too much of a beta"

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I feel I read somewhere that the reason why Heavenward job quests were so hit and miss is that the devs admitted they didn't invest as much time in them due to other priorities (except for the new jobs).

They rectified this in Stormblood partly by having one fewer quest over the ten levels and then by Shadowbringers decided doing a full quest line for every job each expansion was becoming too much and switched to role quests from then on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh poo poo I think you could buy a road to 80 and then immediately ng+ the shb role quest. that'd make for a funny youtube if you know literally nothing about a job

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If it helps Heavensward Paladin is the absolute nadir of the job questlines.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm also pretty sure literally nothing that happens in that questline is ever mentioned again, although at least one of the NPCs does show up later.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Antivehicular posted:

I'm also pretty sure literally nothing that happens in that questline is ever mentioned again, although at least one of the NPCs does show up later.
No, it comes up once.

Sidurgu scoffs at the idea of soul crystals fighting for dominance, thinking it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard of and there's no way it was real.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Huh, I guess I missed that. Is it incidental dialogue in a DRK quest if you've done PLD, or what?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

No, it comes up once.

Sidurgu scoffs at the idea of soul crystals fighting for dominance, thinking it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard of and there's no way it was real.

lmfao

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

Huh, I guess I missed that. Is it incidental dialogue in a DRK quest if you've done PLD, or what?

It's incidental dialogue in a DRK quest, but I'm not sure if it has a PLD quest flag.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kwyndig posted:

It's incidental dialogue in a DRK quest, but I'm not sure if it has a PLD quest flag.
I did DRK before PLD so I can assure you it does not have a PLD quest flag.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Along with DRK making fun, HW PLD (at least the ENG script) has the NPC essentially turn to the camera and say "Hoo boy this plot didn't make any sense huh." Which doesn't excuse it but I did feel seen after spending the whole thing annoyed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

Along with DRK making fun, HW PLD (at least the ENG script) has the NPC essentially turn to the camera and say "Hoo boy this plot didn't make any sense huh." Which doesn't excuse it but I did feel seen after spending the whole thing annoyed.

I think that's the english translators being annoyed at having to translate such a stupid story

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the job quest quality is really inconsistent. One the one hand you have the DRK quests, which most agree are great, and in the other hand you have PLD, which are roundly considered the worst quests in the entire expansion of HW, even over the Moogle quests.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Stormblood PLD quests are good though, they ditch the job and go back to the class (Gladiator) for a good old fashioned tournament arc. I really wish there was a side quest series on the Bloodsands.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Funny that this discussion is coming up right as I’m hitting the HW PLD questline. Personally my favorite so far has been MCH followed by RDM/DRK. Most of the others have felt tedious more than anything. The ShB role quests were a refreshing change of pace, I really enjoyed those and appreciated how they tied into the main story. (EW) Although I just got to that point in EW where you run into all the job quest people + grand company of Eorzea, so I’m curious to see if the 0-70 job/non-role quests tie in more throughout EW!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm enjoying Lancer/Dragoon a fair bit, because you get an actual adversary to liven up the stolid Lancer story and then the class actually slots nicely into the MSQ as soon as you get your job crystal. I'm only a couple of steps into HW, though, so it has plenty of time to fall flat on its dragon-tinted face. :v:

Anything's better than PLD, though. I'll stand by that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Picayune posted:

I'm enjoying Lancer/Dragoon a fair bit, because you get an actual adversary to liven up the stolid Lancer story and then the class actually slots nicely into the MSQ as soon as you get your job crystal. I'm only a couple of steps into HW, though, so it has plenty of time to fall flat on its dragon-tinted face. :v:

Anything's better than PLD, though. I'll stand by that.

Eh, the HW Dragoon story doesn't really intersect with the MSQ the way the ARR Dragoon story ends up doing, but playing Heavensward as a Dragoon is definitely thematically appropriate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HW Dragoon is funny if you do it after HW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funky Valentine posted:

HW Dragoon is funny if you do it after HW.

"I got better! I got worse! I got better! I got worse!"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The absolute funniest time to do any dragoon quests is after EW, which is when I did it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I didn't bother with the job until after I had finished through 3.5 and getting the introduction to Dragoon at that point was extremely funny.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I may or may not have started a new character as a joke that I'm now taking seriously.

Full UI.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 7, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

be sure to do leap of faith in first-person as well

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Should of been a lala so you could get some first person knee stabbing action.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

First person is silly enough. First person iron man? Good luck.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Titan EX is really hard to tank in first person. How close are you to the edge? Who knows~

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Really, really like the characters and story of Heavensward so far, especially the long cutscene with Hreasvalgar or however you spell it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Really, really like the characters and story of Heavensward so far, especially the long cutscene with Hreasvalgar or however you spell it

*slaps the hood of the Churning Mist* you can fit so much character work in this bad boy

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

HW is your reward for getting through ARR. It only gets better from here.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Main StB is a bit of a dip but still infinitely better than ARR. And ShB is on a whole nother level

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

reversefungi posted:

Main StB is a bit of a dip but still infinitely better than ARR. And ShB is on a whole nother level

Agreed with this. StB suffers a lot from having the plot be split hard between Garlean stuff and Ala Mhigo stuff. ShB is absolutely incredible, for sure.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Runa posted:

*slaps the hood of the Churning Mist* you can fit so much character work in this bad boy

Oh yes. Churning Mist rules. I love Ysayle and Estinian and they are 1000x better characters than all the scions combined. The shame of the entire thing is having to lug Alphaiund around. Where is his sister? She is so much better than him and I’ve only seen her like twice. Once before Coils and in Coils.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

She shows up again in the post-HW patches -- 3.4, I think? -- and is much more present thereafter.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
You’ll be seeing a lot more of her soon enough! Definitely one of my faves, brings some much needed spunk to offset Alphinaud

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Glad you've hit good stuff and are enjoying the story more. Also, there used to be more bullshit moogle quests. They removed quite a bit of moogles loving with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty sure the moogle quests they removed in Churning Mists were all optional. Also they didn't remove them, they just no longer gate the tribe behind doing all of them.