Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes. Nothing has changed in how we decide whether someone can keep posting on these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I admit I was shooting for the moon on the perma request, but I'm glad the admins saw the same priors that I did, lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O poo poo.

Dwarf has the death touch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

O poo poo.

Dwarf has the death touch.

Don't block him unless you have indestructible.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

e. no, there is no world in which the SA admins ban or permaban a poster for liking Kingdom Death: Monster. Since that's obviously what you're referring to.

hahaha love it - you've gotta get up pretty early in the morning to slip anything past Leperflesh, MN! :D (Also drat, dwarf clearly has some serious pull with Fluff - best not cross him!)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

I admit I was shooting for the moon on the perma request, but I'm glad the admins saw the same priors that I did, lol

I endorsed for the same when I was talking to Leperflesh. Looks like the dude had a history of posting weird racist poo poo about black people in particular so I didn't see why it should be allowed to continue.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Leperflesh posted:

e. no, there is no world in which the SA admins ban or permaban a poster for liking Kingdom Death: Monster. Since that's obviously what you're referring to.

That is the incident I am referring to, but I am referring to your individual failure to punish the actual sexism more than the occasional tiny probe. I don't wish to relitigate poo poo because it is low profit but you'd made remarks that you were attempting to change things around these parts, and I was just checking to be certain that we had your support if sexism happened. (Fortunately, it still appears to be rare in the threads I read.)

Regardless, it matters a bit less now because we have a few more members of the mod team such as:

dwarf74 posted:

Thank you very much for giving it a shot. It's certainly better than the alternative of just kicking the can and imagining that poster will somehow get better. Though I do believe in the power of punishment to improve posting, it's not going to work for bigotry since it is inherently irrational. That is absolutely the attitude that our mod team should regard that type of unacceptable posting. I am grateful for the volunteer work of the mods and that we have your support.

On that note, I'm also glad for the admins for taking action and to the TG posters who bought it to SAD. I think this is a success story for these feedback threads; from the outside, it could have been unclear why that was problematic unless you were pretty deep into the MTG poo poo, which meant it would cause maximum thread violence (since they would not miss what is meant) but also not necessarily be understood by an third party without context. Once understood, anyone volunteering to make this site better would not hesitate to act.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dreadful shoot on Admiral Joeslop vs TheDiceMustRoll.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An admin just ran the queue, I think you probably saw only a sixer on joeslop and nothing on TDMR and thought that was unreasonable and it would have been, yes.
I have been reminded that I can use placeholder sixers to better show that action is in progress so I will do that in the future.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
You should be meaner to the user base here because look at their posting

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Also I think we should buy the modmin team a real gun

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ominous Jazz posted:

gonna just ban everyone soon, just checkin with jeff

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

gonna just ban everyone soon, just checkin with jeff

Harsh, but fair.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My feedback and suggestion is that maybe Toshimo didn't need his dick sucked about how good and right he is while giving him a tiny slap on the wrist for dancing on a man's grave

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarnop posted:

My feedback and suggestion is that maybe Toshimo didn't need his dick sucked about how good and right he is while giving him a tiny slap on the wrist for dancing on a man's grave

Wait, how did Framboise hand out a 1 day probe? Aren't they an IK?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Magnetic North posted:

Wait, how did Framboise hand out a 1 day probe? Aren't they an IK?

IKs can queue whatever, they just have a lower threshold for what automatically goes through without approval

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah when I was an IK in the Friday Forum on Friday, I could have applied for a permaban but I'm pretty sure joke forum IKs don't get those approved. And I only wanted to sixer myself anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tarnop posted:

That post was deeply embarrassing and it says a lot about both the poster and the IK that they think it's a normal thing to say while acting like it's some leftist victory.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The IK Framboise talked to me first and I agreed with a 1-day probe, which also required admin approval. Jeffrey approved the probation with full view of our discussion on it.

Toshimo's probation is for a combination of grotesquely cheering for the death of a random magic the gathering influencer as a response in a thread where people were openly mourning that person, and, for the hypocrisy of being the loudest voice for more and tougher moderation in that very thread against the people who make it a hostile place to post. A one-day probation is still pretty minor. A post that would likely have gotten a pass from someone else doesn't necessarily get that benefit of the doubt from a repeat offender, that's part of the context that goes into probation decisions. Particularly someone who has been vigorously demanding more probations.

Framboise can speak for himself but my interpretation of the probation reason is that Framboise agrees with the principle that labor needs to fight capital, but, that this is a real lovely way to express that, both in terms of timing and expressed vitriol.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 10, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Those are a lot of words to describe bad moderation and no words about how you plan to address it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those are words describing why I support this moderation action.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've read your post again and it seems like maybe you think I was arguing for a lighter punishment. Can you clarify?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That post was deeply embarrassing and it says a lot about both the poster and the IK that they think it's a normal thing to say while acting like it's some leftist victory.

Take the boneheaded histrionics and stuff it, please. Both of you are making some pretty heavy faceplants on the balance beam of mental gymnastics here and I'm not going to humor either of you for it.

A good chunk of PMs I get from LP about reports in the MTG thread are about Toshimo and I usually let them slide because it's because someone got their undies in a bunch because he said something in a hostile or harsh way. Thing is, if I acted every single time someone posts in the MTG thread said something in a hostile or harsh way, I'd be probing half the morons in the thread every couple of days because the thread is, by far, the most overdramatic and fussy thread I can tolerate frequenting, populated by people with the social skills of hungry feral cats. Much of the time, Leperflesh and I agree that the thread should generally deal with poo poo on its own and only step in when it crosses the line.

Toshimo's post this time around is much the same-- what could have been a valid point that not many people would disagree with (myself included) took an unnecessary cruel celebratory turn while a bunch of other people were mourning Sheldon's death. My original thought was to give it a sixer like most others, but it had been generating complaints both here and on Discord-- and on top of that, I've already been kicking around the idea of advocating for stronger probes for people in the thread who already have a stack of sixers (in the same thread, no less) they clearly haven't learned from. So 24 it was, and it's really as simple as that. If mods and admins wanted to push for a ban, that's up to them. I've discussed with Leperflesh before that I don't actually understand why people are allowed to amass pages of probes when anywhere else, someone that annoying would be banned on second or third offense. Feels like you pretty much have to commit an actual crime to get banned for real here tbh.

Both of you are reading way too far into this though and I really suggest taking a breather before posting again.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Framboise posted:

Take the boneheaded histrionics and stuff it, please. Both of you are making some pretty heavy faceplants on the balance beam of mental gymnastics here and I'm not going to humor either of you for it.

A good chunk of PMs I get from LP about reports in the MTG thread are about Toshimo and I usually let them slide because it's because someone got their undies in a bunch because he said something in a hostile or harsh way. Thing is, if I acted every single time someone posts in the MTG thread said something in a hostile or harsh way, I'd be probing half the morons in the thread every couple of days because the thread is, by far, the most overdramatic and fussy thread I can tolerate frequenting, populated by people with the social skills of hungry feral cats. Much of the time, Leperflesh and I agree that the thread should generally deal with poo poo on its own and only step in when it crosses the line.

Toshimo's post this time around is much the same-- what could have been a valid point that not many people would disagree with (myself included) took an unnecessary cruel celebratory turn while a bunch of other people were mourning Sheldon's death. My original thought was to give it a sixer like most others, but it had been generating complaints both here and on Discord-- and on top of that, I've already been kicking around the idea of advocating for stronger probes for people in the thread who already have a stack of sixers (in the same thread, no less) they clearly haven't learned from. So 24 it was, and it's really as simple as that. If mods and admins wanted to push for a ban, that's up to them. I've discussed with Leperflesh before that I don't actually understand why people are allowed to amass pages of probes when anywhere else, someone that annoying would be banned on second or third offense. Feels like you pretty much have to commit an actual crime to get banned for real here tbh.

Both of you are reading way too far into this though and I really suggest taking a breather before posting again.

no you should do this instead:

quote:

Thing is, if I acted every single time someone posts in the MTG thread said something in a hostile or harsh way, I'd be probing half the morons in the thread every couple of days because the thread is, by far, the most overdramatic and fussy thread I can tolerate frequenting, populated by people with the social skills of hungry feral cats.

it really loving sucks to pop into a thread about a game and have it be nothing but aggro posts and occasionally people posting the most unhinged poo poo they can.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, this isn't the industry bullshit thread where being enraged at the latest idiocy or horror is a normal reaction, show some respect for the dead.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Framboise posted:

I think people just don't like that your probe reason was "I agree with what you said, but not how you said it." to a really garbage post. Like, the post was awful even before you got to the final line.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Framboise posted:

Yep simply take a nap and bottle before coming at the IK with some bullshit take like they agree with the bad poster. Oh you don't disagree with the poster... hm

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anyway I ask that the pinkerton defending racist guy who dances on the grave of someone bc they don't like their banlist shouldn't post in the MTG thread, and preferably the site, anymore.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There's no shortage of actual shitbags in this sector where gravedancing is appropriate, and this isn't one!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

Thing is, if I acted every single time someone posts in the MTG thread said something in a hostile or harsh way, I'd be probing half the morons in the thread every couple of days because the thread is, by far, the most overdramatic and fussy thread I can tolerate frequenting, populated by people with the social skills of hungry feral cats.

Good, maybe do this repeatedly until it stops instead of letting the thread be a cesspool of toxic poo poo that loads of people on the forums can't stand to read or post in because of how horrible it's been. Then repeat this for the rest of Tradgames, because this forum is hugely undermoderated and some of the most awful, hostile, lovely people are the loudest.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Kild posted:

Anyway I ask that the pinkerton defending racist guy who dances on the grave of someone bc they don't like their banlist shouldn't post in the MTG thread, and preferably the site, anymore.

Toshimo is many things. Loud. Aggressive. Incapable of Not. Probably ranting right now.
But a Pinkerton defending racist he is not.

That's either a gross misunderstanding or a bad faith mischaracterization of a posting enemy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Good, maybe do this repeatedly until it stops instead of letting the thread be a cesspool of toxic poo poo that loads of people on the forums can't stand to read or post in because of how horrible it's been. Then repeat this for the rest of Tradgames, because this forum is hugely undermoderated and some of the most awful, hostile, lovely people are the loudest.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The IK Framboise talked to me first and I agreed with a 1-day probe, which also required admin approval. Jeffrey approved the probation with full view of our discussion on it.

Toshimo's probation is for a combination of grotesquely cheering for the death of a random magic the gathering influencer as a response in a thread where people were openly mourning that person, and, for the hypocrisy of being the loudest voice for more and tougher moderation in that very thread against the people who make it a hostile place to post. A one-day probation is still pretty minor. A post that would likely have gotten a pass from someone else doesn't necessarily get that benefit of the doubt from a repeat offender, that's part of the context that goes into probation decisions. Particularly someone who has been vigorously demanding more probations.

Framboise can speak for himself but my interpretation of the probation reason is that Framboise agrees with the principle that labor needs to fight capital, but, that this is a real lovely way to express that, both in terms of timing and expressed vitriol.

Oh also 1 day bans don't require admin approval, any mod can hand them out, so are you lying or just bad at your job?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

Oh also 1 day bans don't require admin approval, any mod can hand them out, so are you lying or just bad at your job?

The admin approval was probably because the IK was doing it instead of the mod.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

Framboise is an IK, not a mod. IKs can do 6, maybe 12, without admin permission, but not one day.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes but the IK talked to the mod first, so the mod could have just done the 1 day himself. Leperflesh is, however, notoriously probation-averse.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I think the idea is that Leaperflesh could have just given out a 1 days probe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kchama posted:

I think people just don't like that your probe reason was "I agree with what you said, but not how you said it." to a really garbage post. Like, the post was awful even before you got to the final line.
As someone outside of the MTG ecosystem I agree. Escalating probes for the same poo poo is quite reasonable, but this comes off as 'you had your heart in the right place when you condemned the dead community man' and I don't think, generally, we need to encourage that poo poo; there is plenty of it in the world already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Framboise is the expert in the Magic thread on understanding the nuances and the situation. I don't know anything about the guy who died. Framboise asked to issue a longer probe and I said sure, and let him write the reason. Then I pinged admins to approve the probation. Yes, that meant it took a little longer to go through: so what? It's not like Toshimo was still in the thread doing something that had to be immediately stopped.

Tarnop posted:

I've read your post again and it seems like maybe you think I was arguing for a lighter punishment. Can you clarify?

it sounds like you think Framboise agreed with dancing on the grave of a dead guy, and he didn't and I don't either. It also sounded like you thought that post should have gotten a longer probation: framboise suggested a 24 and I thought that was reasonable. These are judgement calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Framboise is the expert in the Magic thread on understanding the nuances and the situation. I don't know anything about the guy who died. Framboise asked to issue a longer probe and I said sure, and let him write the reason. Then I pinged admins to approve the probation. Yes, that meant it took a little longer to go through: so what? It's not like Toshimo was still in the thread doing something that had to be immediately stopped.
I think people are asking why you involved admins instead of just putting through a 24 hour probe yourself.