Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

I mean Punk is a giant boob and idiot so I can see a surface level comparison to Warrior, but Warrior was also a hateful bigot so there’s a pretty wide chasm between the two.

I feel like his bigotry only became a ‘problem’ (in the sense of rightfully impacting his public image because everyone realised he was a huge piece of poo poo) after he’d already retired from the ring, so in the sense of “guy throws away millions of dollars in potential earnings because he can’t get over himself” he’s very much in the same mould as Punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Punk and Warrior are very apt comparisons especially because it wasn't always Warrior's fault he left a promotion on bad terms.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's especially funny considering how hard Punk buried Nash as being only in it for himself and not putting over younger talent earlier in his career.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like his bigotry only became a ‘problem’ (in the sense of rightfully impacting his public image because everyone realised he was a huge piece of poo poo) after he’d already retired from the ring, so in the sense of “guy throws away millions of dollars in potential earnings because he can’t get over himself” he’s very much in the same mould as Punk.

And there's a reasonable amount of evidence that he didn't make the change from "rear end in a top hat" to "bigoted rear end in a top hat" until he retired and remarried. Comparing Punk to 1998-era Warrior makes sense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Again, I thought this thread was for bad takes

Unless you're posting it to explain why his stans are gonna be extra-feral this week, in which case fair enough

It is the context of CM Punk making GBS threads on Kevin Nash in WWE years ago and now... Well, we all know how it went for Pepsi Man

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And there's a reasonable amount of evidence that he didn't make the change from "rear end in a top hat" to "bigoted rear end in a top hat" until he retired and remarried. Comparing Punk to 1998-era Warrior makes sense.

For sheer entertainment value I think it's a much bigger loss not seeing what would have happened with Warrior in WWF during the Attitude era than it is not seeing Punk anyone in AEW in 2023.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/M_Doonan_/status/1700933362104332390

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Okay I get that these absolute weirdos love to snitch-tag Cornette and Dutch and all the other weird Anti-AEW guys in the industry but why is he tagging AEW, Jericho and FTR Bald?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakkel posted:

Okay I get that these absolute weirdos love to snitch-tag Cornette and Dutch and all the other weird Anti-AEW guys in the industry but why is he tagging AEW, Jericho and FTR Bald?

Well Bald is a Punk guy, AEW to wave the "truth" in their face and jokingly I guess Jericho is a conspiracy guy.

It's funny to tag Hey Hey in it because Conrad is all about that sort of thing.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Probably the the "Notice me senpai" thing. It's like when specific people that slag off AEW most of the time, yet the moment they actually get a response from someone actually there like when TK responded to Alfred and Bowens added to that Ibou guy they become so polite and complimentary towards them.

And then the moment they don''t get another response it's back to slagging them off again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/righteouspunk/status/1700952159360029038?t=sbmhEkhGCCB-DEKIeo2Xcg&s=19

Jesus, that's some... I don't know

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm currently writing reviews for a film festival to which I'm given access to screening tickets in exchange for reviews/coverage (not necessarily positive, obviously). I guess I'm in the pocket of Big A24 and Netflix, dang

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

"what if Christian made a dead dad joke about Chris Benoit" is this month's "why the gently caress would you fantasy book that" that makes you glad they're just fantasy bookers; see also, Alvarez thinking Adam Cole should've hate crimed MJF in the All In main event

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

TinTower posted:

see also, Alvarez thinking Adam Cole should've hate crimed MJF in the All In main event

excuse me what

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mooseinfants posted:

excuse me what

After MJF told the story about bullies throwing quarters at him and calling him Jew boy, Alvarez suggested that Cole do his heel turn by hitting him with a loaded punch using a roll of quarters.

I think it was more a ‘didn’t think that through at all’ situation than an ‘Alvarez thinks antisemitism is just good poo poo pal’ one, potentially fuelled by vague memories of someone else doing the roll of quarters loaded fist recently in AEW (I wanna say it was Juice?).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

mooseinfants posted:

excuse me what

MJF did a story about having quarters thrown at him when he was on his high school football team by the other players and verbally abused for being Jewish. Alvarez wanted the main event of All In to end with Cole turning on MJF by hitting him with a roll of quarters and then Cole, Britt, and Roddy becoming a new heel faction.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm glad we got the ending we did.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Oh right I remember that now. I guess I'd forgotten since Alvarez hasn't spent the month since insisting that idea was the best one ever like he usually does with his ideas.

Curious as to where Deonna thinks she's gonna end up when her Impact contract runs out. She's talented but it doesn't really seem to me like there's room in either WWE or AEW for her.

mooseinfants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 10, 2023

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Not defending Alvarez, but he was also far from the only person to suggest this in wrestling media; the guys from...I think WrestleTalk were the first ones I heard say it, and Bully Ray and Tommy Dreamer threw the same idea out on Busted Open.

It was terrible every time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Adam Cole also has priors tbf

https://youtu.be/Rl0YdDVfLhQ

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

luckily this tweet was posted as images and they stayed cached

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the idea of Tony "randomly deciding" to buy ROH. Like it wasn't even a thing he had considered but he got bored and called up Dave Honor and one day and made him an offer.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Also ROH was going out of business, she wouldn't have even had anywhere to be champion of if he hadn't bought it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

luckily this tweet was posted as images and they stayed cached

I like when this comes up and someone points out they were paid by an employer to go or expensed the trip as part of their business and the dummy says it's still the same as tk comping a ticket, because it wasn't personally paid.
As if in their mind reporters are shelling out the cash to buy their own news vans and paying for gas to cover something

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mooseinfants posted:

Oh right I remember that now. I guess I'd forgotten since Alvarez hasn't spent the month since insisting that idea was the best one ever like he usually does with his ideas.

Curious as to where Deonna thinks she's gonna end up when her Impact contract runs out. She's talented but it doesn't really seem to me like there's room in either WWE or AEW for her.

I doubt she'd want to return to the WWE anyway after last time.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/aewfulwrestling/status/1700277064803168464?s=46

For all of this guy’s love of parodying The Death of WCW, I’m not sure if he’s actually read it.

lmao at this take immediately after AEW revealed Bryan Danielson is part of creative.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I also love the idea that you had to have been a huge star to know how to book. Lots of great wrestlers were terrible bookers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Just to build on this timeline:

April 2018: Deonna Purrazzo is offered and accepts a WWE developmental contract.
May 13, 2018: Deonna wrestles her last ROH branded show to date, losing to Kelly Klein, pulls out of scheduled ROH appearances including the first All In.
April 15, 2020: Deonna is released by WWE
May 26, 2020: Deonna debuts for Impact Wrestling after signing a multi-year deal
August 14, 2021: Deonna beats Faby Apache to become the AAA Reina de Reinas Champion
September 12, 2021: Rok-C wins a tournament to become the inaugural ROH Women's Champion
October 27, 2021: Ring of Honor announces it will be "going on hiatus" after Final Battle 2021
December 12, 2021: Rok-C defeats Willow Nightingale at Final Battle to retain the ROH title, is confronted by Deonna to set up a title vs. title match
January 9, 2022: Deonna beats Rok-C to win both the ROH and AAA women's titles on an episode of Impact
January 10, 2022: ROH announces their next card will be Supercard of Honor XV over Wrestlemania weekend on April 1, 2022. No matches are announced.
January 27, 2022: Deonna starts defending the ROH title on various Impact shows
February 27, 2022: Rok-C wrestles her last indie match and cancels upcoming indie dates
March 2, 2022: Tony Khan announces that he is buying Ring of Honor.
March 10, 2022: Impact announces that Deonna Purrazzo will be at their April 1 "Multiverse of Matches" show issuing an open challenge for either her ROH or AAA belt.
March 17, 2022: Rok-C is announced as signing a WWE developmental contract
April 1, 2022 (part 1): Since Deonna is not available for this show, Mercedes Martinez and Willow Nightingale have a match for the interim ROH championship. Mercedes wins.
April 1, 2022 (part 2): Deonna's open challenge is answered by Faby Apache and she successfully defends the AAA title against Faby.
April 23, 2022: Taya Valkyrie beats Deonna for the AAA Reina de Reinas title in the second match of the card of "Rebellion 2022"
May 4, 2022: Tony Khan's purchase of ROH is finalized, clearing the way for ROH branded matches to appear on Dynamite.
May 4, 2022: Mercedes Martinez defeats Deonna Purrazzo in the main event of AEW Dynamite to unify the 'real' and interim ROH women's titles

So I guess in this person's story, Deonna was mad that she won the belt after ROH shut down but before Tony Khan bought the company? And they created an interim champion because the company (not ROH) that she had a long term contract with kept her off of the ROH show on Wrestlemania weekend? And she was pre-emptively mad knowing that a month in the future, she'd drop the belt in the main event of a show?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah because Tiny Con engineered the whole thing, duh

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, you read The Death of WCW and it’s amazing how many times post-1997 where the end result was “and then Hogan and/or Nash then decided that didn’t work for them, brother, so they changed the ending”.

I think the only stinker where Hogan and Nash weren’t involved was the Arquette fiasco, which was mostly down to the suits leaning hard on Russo and Bischoff to promote Ready to Rumble and not listening to sense from anyone, including Arquette.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Deonna should go to Stardom and be in Club Venus for a while

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Deonna should go to Stardom and be in Club Venus for a while

That's probably not happening.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pylons posted:

That's probably not happening.

I know but I want it to happen

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Bucks and Meltzer are backstage, taking Percocets right now, and laughing at all of us marks who didn't get on this grift train.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's true, here's the proof

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Joey McChrist posted:

big sexy is once again correct

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's true, here's the proof

much to think about

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
https://nodq.com/opinions/time-for-aew-to-change-wholesale-five-steps/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
got one paragraph into their solutions and they cited Big Swole

yeah nah

i clicked the authors name and wow he managed to even make a memorial bad WWE opinion too

https://nodq.com/opinions/its-time-for-rhea-ripley-to-go-solo-away-from-judgment-day/

if you know WWE this is such a loving dumb idea its insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tony really should fire Action Brunson [sic]