Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah there’s no way the Hall doesn’t know who the player prefers even if it’s just through the five years of media coverage since his retirement. They want a happy dude delivering a grateful speech. They’re not gonna go out of their ways to be dicks to the guy or uphold the integrity of his place in Angel history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

are you sure? If a team trades for him this winter and takes him to the postseason a half dozen times over the remainder of his career, manages to win a title, you don't think he decides that's his preference? Especially if it's the Phillies?

If he's fed up with Arte and asks for a trade, you don't think that's indicative of his mindset?

Mike Piazza was drafted by the Dodgers through the grace of Lasorda, had his best seasons in LA, put up more WAR in LA than NY, but was soured by the trade and has an NY on his plaque.

Trout's been an Angel for more than twice as long as Piazza was a Dodger.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol @ the Yankees winning this game

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Trout's been an Angel for more than twice as long as Piazza was a Dodger.
A tenure that has been marked by a series of disappointments with the organization, now potentially culminating in Trout demanding a trade.

He's still got 7 years left on that deal. A competent organization could trade for him this winter, take him to 5+ postseasons, perhaps win a championship with him, be the uniform in which he passes whatever career-long milestones he has in store, be the team he retires with, and steal his hat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Angels are trying to get out of the contract, not get rid of him and no one is going to take it other than at a giant discount.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

A tenure that has been marked by a series of disappointments with the organization, now potentially culminating in Trout demanding a trade.

He's still got 7 years left on that deal. A competent organization could trade for him this winter, take him to 5+ postseasons, perhaps win a championship with him, be the uniform in which he passes whatever career-long milestones he has in store, be the team he retires with, and steal his hat.

How many teams have made the playoffs 5 times in the past 7 years? Seems like a very specific situation that's also dependent on Trout not fading cause of injuries.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Mike Trout, Houston Astro.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

live with fruit posted:

How many teams have made the playoffs 5 times in the past 7 years? Seems like a very specific situation that's also dependent on Trout not fading cause of injuries.

Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Yankees, Rays maybe some more NL teams I can't remember like the Cardinals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If the Angels trade Trout the same offseason they lose Ohtani there’s gonna be a very big narrative against them. So I don’t know why people would assume the Hall would insist on honoring them with Trout’s plaque especially if he’s lucky enough to get traded to a team that does very well with him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is there even a precedent for a player spending 10+ years with one team and winning three MVPs there and going into the Hall with a different hat?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/talkinyanks/status/1700988496184545456?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

I’m going to commit self harm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

2023 Yankee season sure is something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Oof poor dude. Barely got any time before getting hurt

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Cursed loving season

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And he's probably too short to stick at first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What the hell is going on with Yankees getting injured?

Is their support staff just Mets-level incompetent or

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A hitter needing TJ after 8 games is I don't even

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A hitter needing TJ after 8 games is I don't even

Throwing a baseball is the same in the minors.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Is there even a precedent for a player spending 10+ years with one team and winning three MVPs there and going into the Hall with a different hat?

Justin Verlander 5-7 years now.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

I just made a screaming noise involuntarily

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
loving poo poo. Hopefully he recovers fast but this probably dooms him to another season in the minors next year.

Ninja edit: Harrison Bader seen frantically stuffing a voodoo doll in his locker

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
news: The Detroit Tigers have won the season series against every team in the AL Central for the first time since 2011, which was the first time I went to Detroit to watch them

views: now, about the rest of baseball

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What the hell is going on with Yankees getting injured?

Is their support staff just Mets-level incompetent or

I mean, position player UCL injuries just fuckin' happen.

EDIT: Honestly I don't think the Yankees had too many of those "Wait why did this happen" injuries this year, outside of the way they handled Rizzo's concussion (which is a pretty huge fuckin' caveat.) Everybody else who got hurt except maybe Nestor was already a big red INJURY RISK icon, and Judge's was just bad luck/bad construction.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 11, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1700972040046407953

He probably has three starts remaining to try and crack the Johan Wall. Third place is probably within reach though which is pretty cool

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Counterpoint: It's Nightengale. The likelihood of this being fabricated bullshit is, uh, non-zero.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Justin Verlander 5-7 years now.

Verlander is definitely going in as a Tiger or with a blank hat, one of the two

e: Padres extending Snell is confirmed

https://twitter.com/TalkingFriars/status/1700907903568535974

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
“Cy Young favorite” that is not Justin Steele OP

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Brennan_L_D/status/1700953024556843207?s=20

Incredible stuff today while I was at work.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/MinSub4/status/1700990910975365474

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

usually those kind of players don't get traded

Intruder posted:

Verlander is definitely going in as a Tiger or with a blank hat, one of the two

e: Padres extending Snell is confirmed

https://twitter.com/TalkingFriars/status/1700907903568535974
Verlander strikes me as a classic blank-hat guy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah Verlander strikes me as a blank hat. Especially since the Houston logo will associate with something else entirely they want to ignore.

That might be the actual likely result of a theoretical Trout trade. Even if he did go somewhere he vocally loved and won multiple MVPs and Championships the blank hat still might be the choice. But I mean even without the plaque it would be worth something to an organization to have a Hall of Fame generational player as part of their history.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/KeBryanHayes/status/1700977560782520397

Can't say I've remember an MLB player saying something like this publicly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies would take 100% of his contract I think

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I assume Brantley retires after this season so Trout can split time between LF and DH with Yordan and stay healthier

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Brantley seems like he still has gas in the tank, I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes another one year deal. I get the feeling he really wants to win a WS he plays in, so hopefully he can fulfill that this year, but professional athletes rarely hang it up when they’re still on top form.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even the jesting mention of the possibility of Trout becoming an Astro has me viscerally upset.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

The Phillies would take 100% of his contract I think

Dombrowski's old enough that having both Trout and Harper would be a big deal.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

I assume Brantley retires after this season so Trout can split time between LF and DH with Yordan and stay healthier

Makes perfect sense to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Even the jesting mention of the possibility of Trout becoming an Astro has me viscerally upset.

jesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Timby posted:

Counterpoint: It's Nightengale. The likelihood of this being fabricated bullshit is, uh, non-zero.

They would give him to any team willing to take his contract tbh