Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We will never know if Fields could be “it” because he plays for the Bears. Maybe if he went somewhere with a functional front office and ownership he’d have had a shot but the die was cast as soon as they picked him.

To be fair that could be said about many QBs like how many were destined to be bad or were just put in a bad situation they couldn’t escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

There is like one bears fan here who is optimistic, There is me who tends to be much more of a I doubt it but I'll wait and see around like 70% doomer, and then everyone else is like somewhere between 90-100% doomer.

I'm not a doomer, but I've consistently said this offseason that I never expected the Bears to even sniff the playoffs this season. They were literally the worst team in the NFL last year and you can't fix a team with so many gaping holes on the roster in one offseason. I still think their ceiling is six wins.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*starts prepping the like 5 or 6 QB's who's college tape I'm going to be watching to see who the Bears can draft*

Seriously though Week 1 is weird and dumb, I'd probably wait for more than one data point before jumping jumping off the cliff.

Maybe start scouting and picking out a nice cliff with a picturesque view for when they get blown out in the next two games to jump off, but no need to do it just yet.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that could be said about many QBs like how many were destined to be bad or were just put in a bad situation they couldn’t escape

It’s always varying degrees of both but if you’re place players on a “bad situation vs destined to be bad” axis the far end of the “bad situation” side would just be labeled “QB drafted by bears.”

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Alternatively, gonna laugh when Caleb Williams goes back to USC when he sees that the Bears got the First pick in the draft.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I just wish the Bears could call a game that is geared towards their strengths, as opposed to calling a game that ensures they never generate any opportunities because they don't even try to mix things up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

I just wish the Bears could call a game that is geared towards their strengths, as opposed to calling a game that ensures they never generate any opportunities because they don't even try to mix things up.

Sorry what? I can't hear you over spamming screen plays.

Which only work when you use them sparingly to catch a defense off guard, and not like when 40% of your pass plays are screen plays

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sean_hammond/status/1701026811897950403

aaaah Launch Getsy into the sun.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm glad the Bears showed us who they were in week 1, so I don't need to bother hoping. I'm firmly rooting for Detroit to win this division now. Lions, bitch!

:same:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sean_hammond/status/1701027071462367666

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I'm just starting to think that maybe the Bears were the dumb team for taking Justin Fields after 10 teams (really 9, as I don't think Jacksonville would have taken him with Lawrence on the board) passed on him, and the GM at the time who had not evaluated the QB position correctly during his tenure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I largely just don't think it matters.

QB development outside of like maybe 2-3 dudes a generation is just all about situation, and being protected(both literally on the field and figuratively scheme wise) while developing properly.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I mean, yeah, it sucks that he missed some basic passes; at the same time, feeling like you have to be prepared to run for your life every. single. loving. down., because the OL is so bad, might do that to a QB.

I still think Fields could be a good-to-great QB, if he could just be protected properly, and instead it seems like Poles & Co., views his ability to run as a means to avoid spending/drafting on the OL, instead of it just being a backup option in case the line occasionally breaks down.

At this point I'm starting to think that when the Bears are looking for a GM, the first and last question on an interview exam is: "Do you believe in investing in the offensive line", and anything short of "No" gets you disqualified.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I think Fields showed promise. Before the game became hopeless, he was making good plays consistently behind a horrendous line.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Packers longest win streak against bears is 10, 1994-98. Can tie that later this year

The sad thing is that was back when the Packers were going deep in the playoffs every year instead of being mediocre overall while still dominant in the rivalry

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'm the optimistic Bears fan. I said they'd be competing for a playoff spot. I also said I felt like they were on the Lions trajectory. They are just a year behind. I'm not as sure of this as I was before the game.

I also said I'd start worrying about the offensive line after a real football game was played. Now I'm worried. :v:

I also don't see how anyone watching that game can think Fields was the problem. Every time I looked at Claypool, I could only think about how we could have drafted a center with that pick. Even though the line was better than last year, it was also spectacularly bad.

It is one game, but the game plan on both sides of the ball was terrible, as was their line play. I really hope they are able to adjust because this looked awful.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My favorite bears-packers game memory was the Rex Grossman zero passer rating game week 17 of the Bears superbowl year. I think I was stuck delayed in MSP and I got to watch the full game in the terminal and boarded right when it wrapped up. Very satisfying.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Absolutely bizarre experience as a longtime lions fan reading the last 184 posts lol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

We only have to wake until the Week 5 Thursday Night game and then Getsy can use the extended break to have the epiphany of "What if I designed the plays around what the players are good at"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

They always hire these dumbshit coaches and GMs who have a specific system and style that they can't deviate from. It was the excuse they made the past 2 offseasons as to why they couldn't sign competent offensive linemen.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SourKraut posted:

At this point I'm starting to think that when the Bears are looking for a GM, the first and last question on an interview exam is: "Do you believe in investing in the offensive line", and anything short of "No" gets you disqualified.

I'll say this about Bob Quinn: He mostly sucked as a GM, but even he understood the importance of investing in the offensive line. A team can suck in a lot of ways, but a strong line is an absolutely foundational piece that can elevate everyone else. It's just insane how so many teams are happy with having bad lines when they're such an important part of the game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

James Daniels is just not a good fit for the system. Need to have Cody Whitehair and Lucas Patrick get steamrolled all game instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I think Love actually had a perfect rating on 3rd and 4th down. Lemme dig that up.

Jordan Love on 3rd and 4th down today:

7/9 passing for 129 yards and 2 touchdowns. A perfect passer rating of 158.3

We have film!

https://twitter.com/nathanmarzion/status/1701038092906377306

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is Emery and Trestman all over again. Hope they're smart enough to realize it sooner rather than later.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Niwrad posted:

They always hire these dumbshit coaches and GMs who have a specific system and style that they can't deviate from. It was the excuse they made the past 2 offseasons as to why they couldn't sign competent offensive linemen.

You can’t run any system if your oline leaks like a sieve, you fuckwits!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

God it must be nice to have an offensive line that can protect even on obvious passing downs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

God it must be nice to have an offensive line that can protect even on obvious passing downs.

It is! It really is. I've been saying for most of the past couple months that Love is coming into a really great situation for a young QB with that offensive line.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Shoutout to the Giants for unexpectedly stepping forward to give Bears fans a team to go "Yeesh, at least things weren't that bad for us" at

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Shoutout to the Giants for unexpectedly stepping forward to give Bears fans a team to go "Yeesh, at least things weren't that bad for us" at

Yeah we didn't pay our questionable QB yet at least.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Whoops, I forgot that I DVR'd the game. Just skimmed through it.

- I feel like there's a pattern developing of Love starting slow and then heating up.
- Aaron Jones is the second-most important player on our offense and it's not close. Dillon has flatlined as a player. Admittedly a couple of his plays were hopeless the second he touched the ball, but jesus christ.
- Encouraging to see Doubs pick up multiple TDs in Watson's absence.
- Musgrave was a much more mixed picture, but he had some production and rookie tight ends are infamously slow to acclimate to the league, so that's something at least.
- Honestly thrilling to watch Van Ness track down and cleanly sack Fields out in the open after he did basically nothing in the preseason.
- And Wyatt got a sack and a half and a couple tackles for a loss!
- And Quay Walker got a pick-six!! My heavens.
- Carlson got a big field goal! That could've gone 60+ yards.
- Holding DJ Moore to two catches and 25 yards is impressive.
- Poor loving Fields behind that line, goddamn. That is roster-building malpractice. That said, I think the Bears end up with a top-three pick in the draft and do everything possible to get Caleb Williams.
- The Bears playcalling looked terrible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Niwrad posted:

This is Emery and Trestman all over again. Hope they're smart enough to realize it sooner rather than later.

unfortunately all evidence of the past several decades indicates quite strongly that the They in question are not smart.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

unfortunately all evidence of the past several decades indicates quite strongly that the They in question are not smart.

Ownership is the problem, and that is never changing, short of some younger McCaskey somehow actually caring enough while knowing to stay the gently caress out of decision making.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Ownership is the problem, and that is never changing, short of some younger McCaskey somehow actually caring enough while knowing to stay the gently caress out of decision making.

I think the Halas Fail-Children are going to cash out on the Bears the moment that Mommy dies.

This stadium and Arlington Heights complex they are looking to build is, just to add value.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They did ditch Emery pretty quick but the fans were going nuclear at the time and sort of forced their hand. I can't fathom them bringing everyone back with a 4-5 win team.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

I think the Halas Fail-Children are going to cash out on the Bears the moment that Mommy dies.

This stadium and Arlington Heights complex they are looking to build is, just to add value.

Has anyone shown preliminary interest in buying the team?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Aren't they just going to sell to the Aon billionaire who already owns 20% of the team and he will have his fail kids run it? Pretty sure he has right to match any offer so there is probably no chance of anyone competent coming in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone shown preliminary interest in buying the team?

IIRC Pat Ryan has first dibs on it. I believe they are contractually obligated to let him offer first and maybe he has the ability to match any offer. I don't know what that means as far as amount goes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also I'm not gonna lie, all the talk of the Bears going after Caleb just reminds me of this post:

hot take: if I'm in charge of the Bears and they're in position to draft Caleb, I would trade down. Some other team will be happy to pay a king's ransom to ruin another generational talent, and in the meantime you can use those picks to actually build up the team so whatever QB you have actually gets a chance to succeed, as opposed to getting sacked ten times a game.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dexo posted:

God I hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Aren't they just going to sell to the Aon billionaire who already owns 20% of the team and he will have his fail kids run it? Pretty sure he has right to match any offer so there is probably no chance of anyone competent coming in.

The hope would be someone would come in with enough money where Pat Ryan couldn't easily match.