Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moon Slayer posted:

Or could be about them banning the mod that changed black people to white in Baldur's Gate 3, or them banning the mod that removed the LGBT flags from that Spiderman game.

Nexus, for all the horrible fetish stuff, has actually gotten pretty okay with getting rid of the actually bad stuff.

Ha, I got a reply to my question on Discord, it is about the pronoun mods

Edit: shameful snipe

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope Stardew 1.6 has a pronouns option

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
why someone making SDV mods would be mad about representation is pretty dumb but that's the world these days I guess

A Long Way Down posted:

I showed my wife the cookbook, she said she’s watched me feed the whole town week old sashimi from my pocket and has no interest in eating what I would make from that.

Her loss.

hahahahah

this just makes me want the cookbook even more, because of course every time I play sdv I have a pocket full of sashimi made from random crab pot trash, why wouldn't you? efficiency!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Psion posted:

why someone making SDV mods would be mad about representation is pretty dumb but that's the world these days I guess

After some gentle probing I think he's just a free speech useful idiot, centrist brainworms rather than open transphobia.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I just tried installing a couple of mods for the first time (mainly getting rid of that loving awful fishing minigame). Is there any way to play with mods by launching it from Steam rather than through the Vortex launcher which seems to completely break the functionality of my Switch controller?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I just tried installing a couple of mods for the first time (mainly getting rid of that loving awful fishing minigame). Is there any way to play with mods by launching it from Steam rather than through the Vortex launcher which seems to completely break the functionality of my Switch controller?

Yup, the Stardew Valley wiki has instructions on how to set up Steam to launch SMAPI.exe so that you can use mods. It'll be under the 'Configure your game client' section.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
You can edit your Steam library so that pushing “Play” for Stardew Valley launches the SMAPI executable rather than the Stardew game exe. If you aren’t using SMAPI, then you’re on your own.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
All the recommendations I've seen are to not use Vortex, and manually install SMAPI and mods instead

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Paper Tiger posted:

Yup, the Stardew Valley wiki has instructions on how to set up Steam to launch SMAPI.exe so that you can use mods. It'll be under the 'Configure your game client' section.

Sweet, looks like that works. Thanks! :cheers:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

GotLag posted:

All the recommendations I've seen are to not use Vortex, and manually install SMAPI and mods instead

Never had any troubles using vortex and smapi together, but I haven't messed with big overalls. Haven't played since the newest update though I guess...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I swear I read somewhere about a mod that makes the "matched" dateable NPCs still hang out with each other after you get 6+ hearts with them, does anyone know if this is real and what it's called?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

GotLag posted:

I swear I read somewhere about a mod that makes the "matched" dateable NPCs still hang out with each other after you get 6+ hearts with them, does anyone know if this is real and what it's called?

Bachelors and Bachelorettes stay friends
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/7926

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thanks!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Been really enjoying playing this as a family on the couch. Question for this thread's regulars: are there other games like this that a) are relatively open-ended in gameplay structure, and b) have loosely coupled local coop where players can mostly wander off and do their own thing if they want?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh hm. I know Sandrock wants to do something like that. They have multiplayer planned which was going to have its own story. But they've since announced they are cutting the story (from multiplayer only) which doesn't sound like a worthwhile playthrough to me.

Dinkum is kind of animal-crossing esque but I don't have a lot of experience with it. I don't think the Multiplayer feels so much like Stardew where you're all working on the same playthrough so much as it feels like animal crossing where you visit someone else's town.

Have you considered games in adjacent genres? Terraria, Valheim, Minecraft?

I have some games on my wishlist I'm waiting for 1.0 on to see if they can pull off anything near as good as Stardew. Coral Island, Traveler's Rest, Ooblets, Ages of Cataria, Moonstone Island, and a few others that look less likely.

I'm surprised we don't have more Stardew like games from other devs.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 15, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zesty posted:

I'm surprised we don't have more Stardew like games from other devs.
there's been a number of attempts but nobody gets the market share and attention that stardew does because, frankly, stardew's sucked up all the air in the room. it's worth reminding that stardew took years to get co-op and was just SP for a long time, it was only after it was a raging smash success that it picked up the co-op features everyone loves.

there's a half-dozen stardew-likes out there that did alright but not spectacular, and unsurprisingly everyone moved on, assuming that they were just never going to grow much unless stardew died. and even then, maybe not.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I had high hopes for Harvestella but never picked it up after reading the reviews. I may get it on sale someday.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Speak of the devil, it’s currently on Steam sale for $30. Is it worth that price or should I hold out for $20 some day? $20 was kinda going to be my threshold for checking it out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's one Call Me Kevin did months ago, Graveyard Keeper, that looked interesting. It strays a bit away from the usual Stardew formula, though. Littlewood is a bit like a Stardew lite; cute game, but it doesn't seem to have the same skill progression to it as SV.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's one Call Me Kevin did months ago, Graveyard Keeper, that looked interesting. It strays a bit away from the usual Stardew formula, though. Littlewood is a bit like a Stardew lite; cute game, but it doesn't seem to have the same skill progression to it as SV.

Graveyard Keeper is bleak, jank, and lacks things I enjoy in these kinds of games like building relationships. Littlewood is minimalist, grindy, and forgettable.

Really just want more games closer to Stardew and Story of Seasons. Fun, Happy, Lengthy, high-quality.

The Good
Stardew Valley
Story of Seasons Series
My Time at Portia/Sandrock

The Rest
Graveyard Keeper
Littlewood
Anything anime-poisoned. Just totally uninterested.

Unplayed
Kynseed
Roots of Pacha

On the Horizon
Coral Island (EA)
Travellers Rest (EA)
Cornucopia (EA)
Ages of Cataria
Moonstone Island

That's kind of everything close. Rest is just a lot of cheap jank.

My Time at Portia is on sale right now for 6 bucks, by the way. That's a great steal.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 15, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm fairly certain none of those listed have the loose co-op requirement originally asked for, just as a note

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So?

I answered his question. Now we're talking Stardew-like alternatives. Thanks for your note.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zesty posted:

So?

I answered his question. Now we're talking Stardew-like alternatives. Thanks for your note.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fae Farm is a recent release that has multiplayer baked in from the start, that seems to be right up your alley.

I've been playing it a bit, and it's a bit bare bones for my taste, but it's decently charming and very chill.

Cartoon Man posted:

I had high hopes for Harvestella but never picked it up after reading the reviews. I may get it on sale someday.

Harvestella is a weird one in that I think the farming sim elements are pretty middling, but the plot and world are charming.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Fae Farm is a recent release that has multiplayer baked in from the start, that seems to be right up your alley.

I've been playing it a bit, and it's a bit bare bones for my taste, but it's decently charming and very chill.

Harvestella is a weird one in that I think the farming sim elements are pretty middling, but the plot and world are charming.

If someone comes into Harvestella expecting a farming sim in the vein of Stardew Valley or Story of Seasons they are going to be disappointed in that aspect. It is best thought of as an RPG with light farm sim elements, but nothing too complex.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been doing a new farm with a group of my friends, using a mod to uncap Cabin limits we're playing with 8 total people most of the time, sometimes 9. It's cool because half of them never played it before so we aren't completely OP because we're all stumbling over each other explaining things and trying to get stuff done all proper-like. Been a good bonding experience.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zesty posted:

So?

Calm down, Clint.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Maguoob posted:

If someone comes into Harvestella expecting a farming sim in the vein of Stardew Valley or Story of Seasons they are going to be disappointed in that aspect. It is best thought of as an RPG with light farm sim elements, but nothing too complex.

How anime does it get? Full anime, somewhat anime, or lite to no anime?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty anime, check out the LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037648

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cartoon Man posted:

I looked into it and there's no gay marriage, if that's a concern for you.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Cicero posted:

Been really enjoying playing this as a family on the couch. Question for this thread's regulars: are there other games like this that a) are relatively open-ended in gameplay structure, and b) have loosely coupled local coop where players can mostly wander off and do their own thing if they want?

I did an effort post about Fae Farm here.

Haven't tried multi-player. It's locked behind chapter one and online multi-player requires a Phoenix Labs account.

The game is kinda jank and not worth full price, imo.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Cythereal posted:

I looked into it and there's no gay marriage, if that's a concern for you.

I'm pretty sure that is false.
From what I can find, you can romance any of the romantic interests no matter what gender you're playing.
Though it's called a "Partnership" rather than marriage in all cases.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Who needs gay marriage when you can have fae marriage?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Cicero posted:

None of the answers to this thus far have said to try Sun Haven.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyflan posted:

I'm pretty sure that is false.
From what I can find, you can romance any of the romantic interests no matter what gender you're playing.
Though it's called a "Partnership" rather than marriage in all cases.

The site I looked at said it's explicitly framed as a platonic friendship regardless of gender. Strictly best buddies moving in together, no homo (or hetero, for that matter), there's friendships but no actual romance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah that's strictly untrue

I'm not sure what rubric your site uses; there's no kissing or having children, and the in-game terminology is "life partner," which I suppose you could read as strictly platonic if that's your preference, but the framing is clearly romantic in nature.

at least for the character I went with, there was a whole church ceremony and subsequent casual home banter about going on dates and being in love, dunno what the other relationships look like

e: and also to answer the original question, it doesn't get anime so much as it gets Square Enix

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 15, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

wukkar posted:

None of the answers to this thus far have said to try Sun Haven.

Sun Haven is basically a low budget Stardew Valley. It's probably the best suggestion so far for a similar game with co-op.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Been feeling like doing a new Stardew valley game but this time on PC (I've played pretty much only on Switch)

Is there any recommended mods to try out? Something that's maybe a little different or QOL like things.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pixeltendo posted:

Been feeling like doing a new Stardew valley game but this time on PC (I've played pretty much only on Switch)

Is there any recommended mods to try out? Something that's maybe a little different or QOL like things.

Open your heart to Stardew Valley Expanded and Ridgeside Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Open your heart to Stardew Valley Expanded and Ridgeside Village.

Do those both work together? Or do I only pick one or the other?