Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also I'm not gonna lie, all the talk of the Bears going after Caleb just reminds me of this post:

hot take: if I'm in charge of the Bears and they're in position to draft Caleb, I would trade down. Some other team will be happy to pay a king's ransom to ruin another generational talent, and in the meantime you can use those picks to actually build up the team so whatever QB you have actually gets a chance to succeed, as opposed to getting sacked ten times a game.

Yeah, but this requires competent management and a competent GM, and, uh, about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why the gently caress was St Brown inactive if the gameplan is bubble screens? His whole thing is being an elite blocker.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also I'm not gonna lie, all the talk of the Bears going after Caleb just reminds me of this post:

hot take: if I'm in charge of the Bears and they're in position to draft Caleb, I would trade down. Some other team will be happy to pay a king's ransom to ruin another generational talent, and in the meantime you can use those picks to actually build up the team so whatever QB you have actually gets a chance to succeed, as opposed to getting sacked ten times a game.

No. You extremely take Caleb Williams, and then with the QB on the Rookie contract you overpay for average to above Lineman, while using the draft picks you have.

You do not pass on Caleb loving Williams.

I had Fields as my number 2 QB that year after Laurence, but there was a pretty decent drop off between them, obviously this year can change things but uh Caleb Williams is a Trevor Laurence or maybe more tier prospect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They just traded down to take a tackle who looked like poo poo and a receiver they targeted twice all game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the Bears should just trade their beloved veteran QB to a desperate contender and get back multiple first rounders and the boat anchor QB they're desperate to get rid of, but actually that boat anchor is secretly still really good. It's really easy, just do that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It especially helps if the boatanchor QB had his confidence shattered by his former coach and his new team coach steps in and builds his confidence brick by brick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That was the plan this year, but they only got one (1) loving line man. If fields could just get three loving seconds maybe he could throw to moore?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

I think the Bears should just trade their beloved veteran QB to a desperate contender and get back multiple first rounders and the boat anchor QB they're desperate to get rid of, but actually that boat anchor is secretly still really good. It's really easy, just do that.
Please take Justin and win the Superbowl. I will abandon this team to become a Fields fan. He deserves better then this lovely franchise that, I guess, has taken out an insurance policy against him

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*watching Cowboys vs. Giants*

The Bears O-line is real bad, but the Giants O-line might be even worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ha. I just noticed the Lions and Packers both have two short turnarounds this year and they're both against each other. I guess that's one way to make it fair? :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You take Williams and you have him hold a clip board until you rebuild the team. Like love and Rodgers. And if drafting Williams pisses off Fields and he turns in an MVP year to shove it in our faces, so be it

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How many seconds, on average, did Fields have to throw? Watching it live, I felt like he had plenty of time to throw but that he was actually just not very good at throwing it. Because he's bad.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reminder that the Bears had $100 million in cap space to improve their line this offseason and used it on linebackers instead.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/DaireCarragher/status/1701053331504869423?t=Gp8KzrXD8o6WfEq-WUnCxA&s=19

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Packers need the Bears to be good because the only way they can make it to the Super Bowl is by facing them in the postseason.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I feel like this was posted before the Sunday Night game lol

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How many seconds, on average, did Fields have to throw? Watching it live, I felt like he had plenty of time to throw but that he was actually just not very good at throwing it. Because he's bad.

What? Were we watching the same game?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Packers need the Bears to be good because the only way they can make it to the Super Bowl is by facing them in the postseason.

They made it 5 times?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Still impressive the bears had 100 million dollars in cap space this off-season and their defense is still poo poo and their offensive line is still poo poo.

It'd take a miracle for them to not want to take one of the top 2 at this point. Even if fields is mediocre -- which would literally be him being twice as good throwing the ball as he has ever been -- feels like a josh Rosen situation. Just move on.

adaz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 11, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Hilarious to think that Jordan Love can't get better seats for his mom from the Packers because Aaron Rodgers never got them for his family.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

Hilarious to think that Jordan Love can't get better seats for his mom from the Packers because Aaron Rodgers never got them for his family.

I mean broken clock and all but Rodgers family do appear to be pieces of poo poo.

Apple doesn't fall far etc

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

No, that's the only way Aaron Rodgers can make it to the Super Bowl

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
How about them Vikings?

Probably not this bad, but certain not a good team. it will be interesting to see if JJ wants out after this year.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SirPablo posted:

I'm not worried about the Vikings. Teams can look miles different from Week 1 to Week 6. JJ is still good, JA has huge potential, TJ remains integral, the O-line between the tackles remains trash. Ingram found a new way to gently caress up. The Defense played decently in the first half, then proceeded to let Baker Mayfield go wild. The secondary is mostly a bunch of nobodies, hopefully they can gradually improve and gel the next few weeks.

The defense looked like a real NFL defense rather than the "stay ten yards from any receiver and hope we get lucky" scheme of last year. Philly and SF will probably trash the team but there's opportunity for improvement, at least on defense as the year develops. Interior O line is Chicago bad right now and I'm wondering what the plan is to fix it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I for one am shocked that the literal worst team in the NFL did not solve all of its problems in one offseason.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

adaz posted:

Still impressive the bears had 100 million dollars in cap space this off-season and their defense is still poo poo and their offensive line is still poo poo.

It'd take a miracle for them to not want to take one of the top 2 at this point. Even if fields is mediocre -- which would literally be him being twice as good throwing the ball as he has ever been -- feels like a josh Rosen situation. Just move on.

I think that was the biggest frustration. This could have been the exact same team they trotted out early season last year (before they started designing runs for fields) and I wouldn't have been able to tell by their play. I think it's entirely on the coaching - not just play calls, but the lack of any cohesiveness anywhere.
The offensive line didn't even seem capable of all firing off the ball at once.

It's not that they didn't solve all their problems, it looked like they actually got worse despite lovie bringing them the #1 overall pick.

The only thing they did right was not take Bryce young because he'd already be crippled behind that line/play calling.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 11, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I for one am shocked that the literal worst team in the NFL did not solve all of its problems in one offseason.

It would have been nice if they had solved even one of their problems.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

DJ Moore looked good!

(2) targets.

Honestly I don't know if you could script a worse game for the Bears. Like it's game 1 of a very long season and all. I also struggle to understand the resource allocation. You have a (maybe) frnachise QB. You know you need to evaluate him and he had the worst offensive line this side of David Carr. Historically bad. You also know if he sucks your next qb sould have a good line! #1 pick and 100 million dollars and you get *this*? I know some of it is injuries, sure, but injuries always happen and the depth is this bad?? The lack of development this bad? It's just... I don't get it. I don't get the resource allocation. What do you think that #2 for chase claypool would've fetched? I get they drafted Darnell in the 1st round but shouldn't you jsut carpet bomb the o-line that point if you knew you were that thin instead of spending the next 3 on prospect defense picks?

adaz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 11, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
It would have been nice if they coulda gotten the ball to DJ more than twice. No time to throw? Get dj on slants. Just get the ball into the playmakers hands.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears' best lineman is injured

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

If your best offensive lineman being injured causes your oline to play like the 2002 Houston Texans I wouldn't say you had a good plan nor would it likely be your _only_ problem

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is the roster really any better than it was to start last year? Moore is a big upgrade at receiver, but that seems to be the only position you could say has improved much. And he doesn't seem to be a fit for whatever the gently caress Getsy wants to do on offense.

The team has some more depth and is younger, but there is a decent chance they'll be losing two of their best players in Mooney and Johnson this offseason. Feels like with a $100 million in cap space and a lot of picks you should be in a better position.

edit: I guess they traded for a punt returner who can catch punts so that is an area of improvement too.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

adaz posted:

If your best offensive lineman being injured causes your oline to play like the 2002 Houston Texans I wouldn't say you had a good plan nor would it likely be your _only_ problem

They were also trying to trade him before the season started last year and are moving him to a position he has never played before for the 2nd year in a row. They seem to value him differently than fans, scouts, analysts, etc.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Is the roster really any better than it was to start last year? Moore is a big upgrade at receiver, but that seems to be the only position you could say has improved much. And he doesn't seem to be a fit for whatever the gently caress Getsy wants to do on offense.

The team has some more depth and is younger, but there is a decent chance they'll be losing two of their best players in Mooney and Johnson this offseason. Feels like with a $100 million in cap space and a lot of picks you should be in a better position.

edit: I guess they traded for a punt returner who can catch punts so that is an area of improvement too.

The bears for some reason have decent players except their two lines are awful, turns out the offensive and defensive lines are important, in the game of football. Not the way I would have done it, personally, but I expected the bears to be trash this year and I'm pretty sure they will never beat the packers ever for the rest of my life.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fields throws pretty badly both when he has time and when he doesn’t, he just obviously usually doesn’t. Even in the 4th with the Packers playing off guys he still wasn’t hitting guys in stride. Well I guess he hit Mooney in stride right into getting blown up.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
now i may be crazy since the bears and giants just poo poo themselves live on tv but what is the possibility the Vikings can do the impossible and finally get the number 1 pick in next years draft. Am I dreaming too high or can we find a way to lose all our 1 score games and then also lose the games we get blown out in?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

now i may be crazy since the bears and giants just poo poo themselves live on tv but what is the possibility the Vikings can do the impossible and finally get the number 1 pick in next years draft. Am I dreaming too high or can we find a way to lose all our 1 score games and then also lose the games we get blown out in?

I’d imagine it’d involve trading JJ

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

I"m gonna be so fuckin pissed off if Bryce Young becomes a phenom QB and Justin becomes the next Mitch

Young isn't the guy to get upset about. Jalen Carter was a monster today for Philly. If there is a player to look back on in this draft as a miss, it'll likely be him.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Cardinals are one of the leagues more obvious tank jobs in recent years and a number of other teams in Week 1 absolutely stunk. Some of those will come good, some of those are rookie QB situations who might come good, but it's possible some of those teams are still just bad. Trevor Lawrence alone wasn't enough to stop the Jags picking #1 overall after his rookie season, and I think it's very possible both the Panthers and Texans are still cheeks this year. Indy are going to get Richardson killed so there's that, too.

This might be a hot take after such a lol, lmao performance, but I think the Bears will play themselves out of contention for either of the top QB's. I still think they have a 5 win floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bumhead posted:

The Cardinals are one of the leagues more obvious tank jobs in recent years and a number of other teams in Week 1 absolutely stunk. Some of those will come good, some of those are rookie QB situations who might come good, but it's possible some of those teams are still just bad. Trevor Lawrence alone wasn't enough to stop the Jags picking #1 overall after his rookie season, and I think it's very possible both the Panthers and Texans are still cheeks this year. Indy are going to get Richardson killed so there's that, too.

This might be a hot take after such a lol, lmao performance, but I think the Bears will play themselves out of contention for either of the top QB's. I still think they have a 5 win floor.

We still got the panthers first next year. We can win and still have the first pick. No gaurantee they dont gently caress it up and lose to them when we play the panthers tho.