Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

uvar posted:

I don't have a whole copy. But the one on the wayback machine is only slightly corrupt - if you throw it into one of the 'PDF repair' websites, you can access the first 27 chapters (of 93 listed in the contents). Or if you trust me you can just use this link. https://www.ilovepdf.com/download/m...13vnrg3n17v1/18

I found a few more excerpts but frankly it became too depressing and I got bummed out. He has been active elsewhere within the last month or so which means he's still alive and on the internet at least. Whether he still has the drafts, or would share them...

"This task has already been deleted".

Where on archive.org are you finding this only-slightly-corrupt PDF?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
I'm having a hard time finding this purple-hued comic about a guy who somehow bests a deer god and gets a wish. The guys wish ends up being that teeth were drugs, and people would smoke them out of these pyramid sublimators. In the end the guy who made the wish kills the deer god and smokes his teeth. I thought it was Jesse Moynihan comic, but I can't find anything.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Milo and POTUS posted:

I want them now and also don't wanta dozen lol
Target, probably similar stores or party stores in ‘children’s party favors’ section.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

thedangergroove posted:

I'm having a hard time finding this purple-hued comic about a guy who somehow bests a deer god and gets a wish. The guys wish ends up being that teeth were drugs, and people would smoke them out of these pyramid sublimators. In the end the guy who made the wish kills the deer god and smokes his teeth. I thought it was Jesse Moynihan comic, but I can't find anything.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3794989&pagenumber=643&perpage=40&highlight=teeth#post509244793
https://drawbrandondraw.tumblr.com/post/13661700096

Parahexavoctal posted:

"This task has already been deleted".

Where on archive.org are you finding this only-slightly-corrupt PDF?

Dang, I thought it would hang around longer. https://web.archive.org/web/20211207123924/http://paul-robinson.us/gatekeeper.pdf, but depending on what device you're on you might need to start from https://web.archive.org/web/20210801000000*/http://paul-robinson.us/gatekeeper.pdf to be able to download/save it.

Handy tip for Archive.org and the Wayback Machine - the calendar view isn't the only way you can browse archived websites. You can also view it as a list of URLs (the view modes are right above the date results, or stick on an asterisk to the search like https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://paul-robinson.us/*) and then filter by filetype. It's a quick way to list, for instance, all pdfs on a website regardless of where they were stored or when they were saved or how they were linked to. In this case it's just the two books. And Gatekeeper only got saved that one time in 2021, so there's no other copy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A short story found in one of those college 100 level english course compilations. American author, guy and his friends go to a lake in the countryside and go around being obnoxious and scaring people and peering inside the cars of paired off couples. Do this to the wrong guy who beats the poo poo out of them and the narrator hides in the water on the lakeshore where he finds the body of a biker who died at a party the week prior or so. Must have been someone famous since it made the anthology but damned if it sounds like anyone I know from memory.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Greasy Lake by TC Boyle.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CaptainBeefart posted:

I can picture it in my head but can't find it.

I did find this which at least has the Drugs and sex shirt.

A tattoo that says "sex" got a solid minute of laughter out of me

It's something you'd put on a farcical cyberpunk character.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

The detail I like, personally, is that the kid with the revolver still has his books. Like, he's going to kill everyone in Mr. Anderson's history class, but he's not going to show up unprepared.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought that was a shirt sleeve... Lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My white whale is finding even a single person who does art like that who realizes the depiction is of a libertarian utopia, not a left-wing utopia. Guns and drugs and sex all on ready offer? Sounds like Bitcoin to the rescue!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

High school hoodlums just loving love evolutionary biology.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ponzicar posted:

High school hoodlums just loving love evolutionary biology.

They aren’t shooting up science class I’ll tell you what!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd actually kind of like the drugs jolly Roger shirt

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Free birth control and sexual orientation counseling are bad mmkay?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

A Power Mac 9600. I'm a vintage computer dork and desperately want one (or an 8600.) I did have an 8600 for a while but foolishly resold it when I went to basic training.
Then I got injured and had to go home. For up to a year.

I want that fuckin' thing back.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

SRQ posted:

A Power Mac 9600. I'm a vintage computer dork and desperately want one (or an 8600.) I did have an 8600 for a while but foolishly resold it when I went to basic training.
Then I got injured and had to go home. For up to a year.

I want that fuckin' thing back.

Right on. The 90s Macs ruled. I think I'd say my white whale is an iMac G3 that isn't loving broken.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

emSparkly posted:

Right on. The 90s Macs ruled. I think I'd say my white whale is an iMac G3 that isn't loving broken.

Check local, Facebook marketplace is a good start. They aren't super-rare and don't command wacky prices if you're not focused on a specific speed or colour.
Unlike most they also ship.... okay. Definitely require professional packaging, but have a decent chance of survival.

System 7.6 on a fast Power PC is probably the all time goat for responsiveness in an operating system. 3-4 years of Apple being fixated on a pie in the sky project and only updating system 7 for bugs and new systems means it's last release is lean and slim. Missing a ton of features too, but I really miss when every OS didn't come with everything and it left it open to you to choose what to stack on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The same, thanks

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
iMac G3, despite not being "old" and beige, is actually quite nice for retrocomputing.

It has ethernet, so you can easily connect it to modern networks and transfer files.
It has USB, so you can use a PC keyboard and an optical mouse on it instead of trying to find esoteric ADB junk with worn out rollers.
You can even put a thumb drive in it, although you will need HFS software on your PC and it will be slow as poo poo.
You can upgrade the main disk to a SSD without too much trouble.
And because it does run Mac OS 8 or 9*, it will run almost any post System 6 software perfectly.

*you can run OS X on them, but that mostly defeats the point of the exercise.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

In 1996 my mother refused to buy me, or allow me to buy, this shirt, on the grounds that a shirt with "RAPE ROBBERY & VIOLENCE" isn't appropriate for anything. I know she knew those things existed in society, so, I think she was just super out of touch with what was acceptable gear for the kinds of concerts I was going to.

I've been after this shirt ever since, today I had a $75 counter responded to with a $85 counter, which I accepted, so, I've got a harpoon in this one and I'm reeling it in.

$95 shipped for a loving shirt is ludicrous, of course, but it's actually cheaper than the inflation-adjusted price because IIRC this was $50 or so at the time. And this one, worn indeed, is in better shape by far than any of my own shirts from that era (I am currently wearing a beat to poo poo Fragility 2.0 shirt from 1999).

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's awesome, congratulations. Somebody should start a vintage t-shirt thread.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some years back I saw a 9/11 documentary that had a scene (reconstruction?) of some firemen trying to leave presumably one of the twin towers and they find themselves in an eerily unscathed hallway where the elevators seem to work. They debate, then gamble on riding one down.

After years of watching reruns, I haven't seen that one again.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

There was the 9/11 documentary by the Naudet brothers that was famous for their having captured the first plane’s impact. They followed some of the early first responders to the WTC, and it’s been a long time since I watched it but I thought they briefly filmed in the lobby of one of the towers pre collapse.

If it’s not in that it was most likely a reconstruction in something else I’d guess.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Kosmo Gallion posted:

That's awesome, congratulations. Somebody should start a vintage t-shirt thread.

Join us in PYF https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040880

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

CaptainBeefart posted:

This is how I imagined me and my friends looked in high school

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

There was the 9/11 documentary by the Naudet brothers that was famous for their having captured the first plane’s impact. They followed some of the early first responders to the WTC, and it’s been a long time since I watched it but I thought they briefly filmed in the lobby of one of the towers pre collapse.

If it’s not in that it was most likely a reconstruction in something else I’d guess.
Thanks, it isn't the Naudet brothers one apparently.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jelly posted:

This is how I imagined me and my friends looked in high school

Narrator:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some years back I saw a 9/11 documentary that had a scene (reconstruction?) of some firemen trying to leave presumably one of the twin towers and they find themselves in an eerily unscathed hallway where the elevators seem to work. They debate, then gamble on riding one down.

Super creepy premise, definitely a documentary? Seems like something out of fiction

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Super creepy premise, definitely a documentary? Seems like something out of fiction
In my head it's firmly filed in that documentary category and I can't recall watching much 9/11 related fiction at all. One of those crazy survivor stories that stuck with me. I agree that narratively it's a pretty compelling would you or would you not. Though it could have come from one that went deeper into what happened in building 7.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh man there was one show that incorporated 911 into it and it was loving awesome and the highlight of the series

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14734548/?ref_=ext_shr

This is more recent, but includes LOTS of footage from firefighters so might include what you're looking for, if it wasn't a re-enactment.

I highly recommend watching this series anyway, probably the best 9/11 documentary you'll see.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

What the hell is the name of this scary-horror-themed tune I hear in so many videos? Here is an example I found today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScfLdnqx8M
Google is not being very helpful

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Trent posted:

What the hell is the name of this scary-horror-themed tune I hear in so many videos? Here is an example I found today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScfLdnqx8M

This seems to be claiming copyright for it, the name just seems to mean "background horror theme" if it's true.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14734548/?ref_=ext_shr

This is more recent, but includes LOTS of footage from firefighters so might include what you're looking for, if it wasn't a re-enactment.

I highly recommend watching this series anyway, probably the best 9/11 documentary you'll see.
Yeah that brings a whole bunch of material together and if you're only going to watch one, this had to be it. Doesn't contain the scene I had in mind though. Considering the apparent lack of footage from inside the buildings beyond the -1 lobby, I'm more and more convinced it has got to be a reenactment of some kind.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Trent posted:

Sounds like whale song.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
A million years ago there were two flash videos that went around as they did:

1) One was a super Japanese song, really fast paced techno with a lot of Japanese men going "YOOOOOO", and the animation was all really buff ASCII cats, white on blue, drumming and fighting and posing.

2) The other was a German rapper's promotional game, you played as a little dude with a mohawk walking along and throwing microphones at enemies, and the platforms and obstacles were the lyrics to the song. I remember he said BEATFLOW a lot.

If I ever again find them, I will die complete.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Skulker posted:

1) One was a super Japanese song, really fast paced techno with a lot of Japanese men going "YOOOOOO", and the animation was all really buff ASCII cats, white on blue, drumming and fighting and posing.

I think this guy also did some ASCII cats doing a Kikkoman song, idk if that was their song though

e: apparently the ASCII cat is called Mona, they were a 2chan meme, so while that may be a starting point the cat is also not going to solely feature in 1 artist's works

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 11, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Skulker posted:

2) The other was a German rapper's promotional game, you played as a little dude with a mohawk walking along and throwing microphones at enemies, and the platforms and obstacles were the lyrics to the song. I remember he said BEATFLOW a lot.

Was the song this or this?

If so the site would be http://dabrutack.de/game/flash.html, which is on the waycback machine but the game doesn't load for me unfortunately.

EDIT: Looks like it was called jump 'n' rhyme, but all I've been able to find is this hilariously small picture which suggests it's right.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 11, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Skulker posted:

If I ever again find them, I will die complete.
The "yoooooo" bit absolutely rings a bell for me, and as Ichabod Sexbeast pointed out the fact that it's Mona (the name for the SHIFT-JIS cat) probably means 2ch is involved.

The best recommendation I have, which you shouldn't do at work because it's quite :nws: and not available via HTTPS, would be to check swfchan.

That site is how I found the name of sada_end.swf which is one I was looking for for quite a while, and eventually led me to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hd6YKFTzQ

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Skulker posted:

:yaycat: I'm pretty sure I remember this and it turns out that I've carried the mp3 around on a series of hard drives for over 20 years so I could identify it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O68OqHUjmTM

e: Original on NewGrounds: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/124117

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

There was this short story I read a long time ago about a woman astronomer who finds what she believes (and/or confirmed) is basically the extra terrestrial equivalent of the Pioneer or Voyager probes passing through our solar system. The story is mostly about her attempts at navigating the bureaucracy of the present to get both attention as well as large telescope or even hubble time to further investigate. I believe she is ultimately unsuccessful, as even her friend wouldn't give up the time he finally had coming for Hubble after X years of waiting, and the satellite silently passes by. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I never can figure out the right combo of words for google to find it, though it's also entirely possible it was a writing prompt on reddit or something.