Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Queensland is going back to beautiful blue at the next state election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
god i thought you were just trolling but i looked at the poll data and its grim. who the gently caress is even the opposition leader atm bc i have no idea

anyway i just read the greens secured 1b for public housing in the HAFF deal so thats something

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Social and affordable housing isn't public housing.

Social housing comprises public housing and community housing.

Community housing is neoliberal poo poo that makes people think it's good. Public housing is better. Affordable is double speak for making developers and real estate agents richer.

Does someone have a breakdown of how much in this 1b being is actual real public housing?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the phrasing i saw specifically mentioned public housing but i dont know the specifics of the changes and i wouldnt be surprised to learn the greens are misrepresenting it to be able to claim it as a win. if anyone actually has a good breakdown of what the new bill includes im interested to read it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

who the gently caress is even the opposition leader atm bc i have no idea

A former journalist for The Australian, Former Media Advisor to John Howard, real estate developer and a Gold Coast local.

David Crisafulli.

He describes himself as a "decentralist" as in opposition to left and centrist politics as well as believing that the government should not be centralised in Brisbane. A strong opponent of transgender rights and backs banning them from sport all together, opposes the voice and if elected has pledged to roll back the ban on Property Developer donations, roll back being able to change your gender on birth certificates and drivers licences and wants to bring back Newman's Independent School classification which allows public schools to exit the public education system and become private schools

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

A former journalist for The Australian, Former Media Advisor to John Howard, real estate developer and a Gold Coast local.

David Crisafulli.

He describes himself as a "decentralist" as in opposition to left and centrist politics as well as believing that the government should not be centralised in Brisbane. A strong opponent of transgender rights and backs banning them from sport all together, opposes the voice and if elected has pledged to roll back the ban on Property Developer donations, roll back being able to change your gender on birth certificates and drivers licences and wants to bring back Newman's Independent School classification which allows public schools to exit the public education system and become private schools

QLD is for sure going to vote this guy in as leader

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Not my Greensland!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

David Crisafulli.

Yeah but the other mob have been in for a while, time to give someone else a go eh

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
crisafulli has had pretty much no scrutiny so far so it's probably still possible for him to throw the election by talking too much about all the deranged right-wing stuff he wants to do but hopefully if the lnp do win they'll just repeat newman and manage to lose after a single term due to doing a bunch of terrible poo poo everyone hates

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

lih posted:

crisafulli has had pretty much no scrutiny so far so it's probably still possible for him to throw the election by talking too much about all the deranged right-wing stuff he wants to do but hopefully if the lnp do win they'll just repeat newman and manage to lose after a single term due to doing a bunch of terrible poo poo everyone hates

Has the ALP rolled back all that poo poo?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/_wkelly_/status/1701133414026686651

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

quote:

During Question Time, Mr Dutton asked Mr Albanese to “withdraw his Voice referendum, so we can avoid an outcome which sets back reconciliation and divides the nation”.

With support for the Voice plummeting in all opinion polls, Mr Dutton told Mr Albanese “it is clear the referendum will not be the moment of unity the 1967 referendum delivered”.

dutton is right.

(he's also correct)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

lol. With what trigger?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
*albo pulls a glock on the GG* this trigger, bitch.

it's the writs for the voice

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

NPR Journalizard posted:

lol. With what trigger?

we are being mean to him :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

P.M. Dutton inbound. :sigh:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao Australia about to put first nations recognition in the same bin as the republic

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

lmao Australia about to put first nations recognition in the same bin as the republic

It's so loving depressing

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

loving annoying to see people compare it to 1967 which made an actual, tangible difference to the rights and lives of Indigenous people.

The more that I actually read about the Voice (per the Yes campaign's request) the more I come around to the Lidia Thorpe school of thought. I'll still vote Yes out of inner-city latte-sipping white obligation, but it's hard to get enthusiastic about something this milquetoast. Which is maybe why the Yes campaign hasn't been able to raise anything stronger in their support than the Dennis Denuto defence.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

loving annoying to see people compare it to 1967 which made an actual, tangible difference to the rights and lives of Indigenous people.

The more that I actually read about the Voice (per the Yes campaign's request) the more I come around to the Lidia Thorpe school of thought. I'll still vote Yes out of inner-city latte-sipping white obligation, but it's hard to get enthusiastic about something this milquetoast. Which is maybe why the Yes campaign hasn't been able to raise anything stronger in their support than the Dennis Denuto defence.

lmao an unironic no voter

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Bunch of white people voting to do nothing and feeling better because of it lmao

Engage with Thorpe's argument. Explain how she's wrong.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bald Stalin posted:

Bunch of white people voting to do nothing and feeling better because of it lmao

Engage with Thorpe's argument. Explain how she's wrong.

Mola Yam posted:

a No result won't usher in an "era of reckoning" wtf. Like that's actually delusional.

There is no universe in which a No result is interpreted as "wow I guess it wasn't progressive enough, playtime is over, let's get outright revolutionary with Indigenous issues", either by the general public or by any of the political parties.

iajanus posted:

So they're waiting on things that will never happen. Cool.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Voting no won't do anything, so you should vote yes which won't do anything except make whitey feel good about themselves. I am very smart.

Good argument. Great help.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Voting no is the first step in making Dutton PM in a couple of years

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A vote for no emboldens the racist Duttons of this world and also sends the explicit message of "gently caress you abbo, you don't get even a performative say in the running of your own affairs. Sit down and shut up."

A vote for yes doesn't do much, but at least it doesn't do that.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So you're just admitting that this isn't about land rights and black sovereignty, it's actually about stopping really bad poo poo happening to white folk instead of slightly less bad poo poo happening.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Quote not edit

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bald Stalin posted:

Voting no won't do anything, so you should vote yes which won't do anything except make whitey feel good about themselves. I am very smart.

Good argument. Great help.

Well yeah, can you imagine being white and letting slip you voted no?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

can we not do this

Lego Stormtrooper
Jul 29, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Well yeah, can you imagine being white and letting slip you voted no?

in 6 weeks, when 70% of the voting population votes no it won't matter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Recoome posted:

But it wasn't going to solve everything, therefore it's better to get nothing.

Also, Australians are really racist.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

birdstrike posted:

At a fundamental level people should be consulted about policies which specifically affect them and if it works as planned the Voice will help shape more effective policies.

It also needs to be in the constitution so the Liberals can’t abolish it in the first week they win back government.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It’s perfectly wedged, despite the majority agreeing something ought to be done, any proposal will either be too radical or not go far enough.

I seriously doubt we’ll have another go at this - if we can’t even pass recognition in the constitution what’s the point of a treaty?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Recoome posted:

what’s the point of a treaty?
Exactly

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

So you're just admitting that this isn't about land rights and black sovereignty

Yes? At what point did any of us give the impression we believed otherwise?? Nobody here thinks the loving flaccid voice is going to poo poo about this.

Bald Stalin posted:

it's actually about stopping really bad poo poo happening to white folk instead of slightly less bad poo poo happening.

Good just stuffing words into people's mouths there.

This does nothing to help first nations people, true. Voting against it harms first nations people by emboldening and enabling the (more) racists who want to harm them (more). I'm not voting yes because it's some great work of loving art, I'm stuck between two poo poo choices and picking the, in my view, less poo poo one. I'm not going to tell a single first nations person they're wrong in their vote, because it's a value judgement for the self.

EDIT: Ok you want me to engage with Lydia Thorpe's argument?

Guardian AU posted:

Lidia Thorpe has called for the voice referendum to be called off, arguing it is an “easy way to fake progress” for First Nations people without making any changes.

The independent senator told the National Press Club on Wednesday a no victory would reveal Australia as a racist country, despite herself advocating for people to vote no.

Thorpe attacked the Albanese government’s push to enshrine an Indigenous voice in the constitution, describing it as a “powerless advisory body”, “window dressing for constitutional recognition” and an “insult” to First Nations people’s intelligence.

I agree with everything she is saying. There is no way that the Albanese government is going to call it off though, so what do I vote? Do I vote to say, "dear first nations people, we are a deeply racist country, and we want you all to really know it"?

It's poo poo, but just like ironic racism, "no, but progressive" sends the same message as "no, and gently caress you".

hooman fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 11, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So long as you feel good who cares

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

So long as you feel good who cares

Actually I feel like poo poo about this. :shrug:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hooman posted:

Actually I feel like poo poo about this. :shrug:

Join the BPU or ACP and get involved then feel much better

Or just read some theory

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

Join the BPU or ACP and get involved then feel much better

Or just read some theory

You post like poo poo. You sit on a high horse and demand engagement with a topic and respond with this bullshit. What do you want other than to feel superior to the mere dumb pleb yes voter. Sucking your own dick in the thread about how loving smart you are isn't impressive, it's tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm advocating everyone vote no because it doesn't go far enough.

Also, if the result is no, Australia is racist.

I'm honestly confused by the progressive no camp.