Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Labeling a particular breed a "dangerous dog" just makes them more attractive to the kind of dog owner who treats their dog as a penis extension rather than a pet and family member.

Now i'm imagining the govt adding chihuahuas to the dangerous bogs list and seeing all the "big lads" walking around with tiny dogs in spiked collars on chain leashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
every bog is dangerous after i've been in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's the thing about political ideologies; there's the strictly defined ideology (what is a liberal*), and then there's the practical effects of how someone with that ideology will tend to behave.** And a lot of people are able to dodge the latter by clinging to the former.

* a miserable pile of compromises

I think the best summary of that flavour of liberalism was the old money family who hosed off to the new world to do plantation poo poo and came out with "I am an aristocrat. I love liberty; I hate equality."

He hated covid restrictions because they applied to everyone, even floppy haired libertarian playboys cheating on their spouses. He hates the ECHR and the Human Rights Act because those, in theory, apply equally to everyone. Loves some immigration restrictions and identitarian culture wars though (despite also mocking the idea of self-defined identity) because those will affect a whole bunch of other people but he's at no personal risk of being forced to gender himself to use the toilet* or made stateless and deported to Jamaica for seeing a cannabis once in 1986.

*under

Just Another Lurker posted:

the dangerous bogs list

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem with "oh he's harmless" is that it's very easy to convince yourself of that, just people seeing their own dog being cute and cuddly at home, or in this little bellend's case in the brief 5 minutes of sunbathing he's allowed before he has to come back in and lie on a cooling mat.

It makes it easy to forget that dogs are predators with chase instincts. If they get surprised by something, their prey drive can kick in before any semblance of logic or training does, and as owner it's your responsibility to intervene before something happens.

I refuse to believe that the dog's owner didn't see the cat. When I'm out with the boy I have to be his eyes and ears and look for signs of surprise dog (owner with a leash, rustling bushes) and pre-emptively give him the best chance of not acting on instinct. If I even see a cat in the distance, he's back on leash and on the opposite side of me before he's even realised it's there.

The reason I'm like this is because for all I love him and know he tries his best, he absolutely does have those instincts and has gone for other dogs when they've suddenly appeared, so the only times he's off-leash is when I'm confident I have good lines of sight and plenty of distance. It would be lovely to let him off leash all the time since we live in a pedestrianised estate and don't have to worry about cars. And as other dog owners keep telling me, the only way to get him better at meeting other dogs is to let him try.

But the country isn't dog racist towards their golden retriever, nor are the police primed to impound him (and as with everything else in the uk the backlog is so massive he'd likely either be destroyed to make space or be so traumatised by the experience he'd probably never recover).
Also I'm not willing to use the safety of other dogs as a testing ground to see if he can behave when I know he hasn't in the past.

I'm rambling but the point is control your loving dogs people. They may seem like cuddly little angels (and they absolutely are), but they are also animals with instincts they can't always help.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
^^
Introduce him to other dogs with a muzzle on.

My dog is weird with cats, out in public she tries to play with them like they are a dog. If they turn up in the garden though she will chase them away, behaviour I'm fine with as we have Guinie pigs.
I still lead her when I see a cat out and about though, a cat can easily blind a dog getting in its personal space.

Jakabite posted:

Can we please not become the US though, where people aren’t allowed to have their dogs off leash anywhere but a ‘dog park’ whatever that is

oh no a Labrador came and sniffed me how will I survive

I doubt that would happen. There are barely any public dog parks in the UK so no alternative for good exercise. The closes thing that exists is those fenced off areas you can rent for £10 an hour.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 11, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It seems like a bad idea to keep dogs with a prey or herding instinct as pets. My partner has been moaning at me to get a husky, and sure they're cute but the also have an abundance of energy, get bored fast, and will maybe just maybe try and eat the cat.

I dunno if a bull terrier is any more prone to snap than a bored out of its wits border collie.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 11, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Can we please not become the US though, where people aren’t allowed to have their dogs off leash anywhere but a ‘dog park’ whatever that is

Sure, if we have laws stopping idiots from owning predators instead. And then you know that the enforcement of that law is going to be racist as poo poo.

Just have a hamster or something.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 11, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We have largely moved past the need for dogs imo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

It seems like a bad idea to keep dogs with a prey or herding instinct as pets.

Which dogs don't have prey instincts? Genuine question.

My partner has been moaning at me to get a husky, and sure they're cute but the also have an abundance of energy, get bored fast, and will maybe just maybe try and eat the cat.

There's a reason shelters overflow with huskies.

Folks warned us when we got our husky/akita mix, but we'd had a husky before, knew what to expect, and as such have raised a Good Boy. He gets picked on by small dogs who presumably have something to prove, including that of my in-laws. He doesn't react - but we're conscious that the day may come where he decides he won't take it any more.

He has a hell of a prey drive when it comes to rabbits, though. If they're in the distance he wants to get to them, if they run close to him then you'd better brace yourself because he's going to use every fibre of his being to catch it. I always think I'm making inroads to calming him down around them, when they don't run away immediately I get him to sit down and be as calm as possible whilst watching them, but it goes straight out the window if one runs near him.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

forkboy84 posted:

Should just ban dogs tbh you wouldn't own a wolf

Ban cats instead. What's the point in taking in an animal that more or less just does whatever it wants including making GBS threads in my garden where my kids might pick it up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

We have largely moved past the need for dogs imo

:dafuq:

You just anti pet in general?

forkboy84 posted:

Sure, if we have laws stopping idiots from owning predators instead. And then you know that the enforcement of that law is going to be racist as poo poo.

I'd be fine personally demonstrating my ability to be a good owner and my dog being a good girl.
But the reality is this Government (or Starmers Labour) would never fund such a scheme.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Which dogs don't have prey instincts? Genuine question.

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean yes, and ideally it's the sort of thing where dogs would be allowed to roam free as any other animal. Except they can't. And there's this extant system of dogs being bred as pets and abandoned by heartless dickheads and needing adoption, and we kind of did all that to them as a species, so we owe it to them to help them exist as part of a world they cannot possibly understand.

We took a wolf, turned its pack instincts into attachment issues, and dropped it into a world where if it chases food in the wrong direction it gets smeared across the tarmac by a couple of tons of metal we invented to get to work faster. They don't understand the truck, the job or the road. The absolute least we can do is try and guide them safely through.

I dunno if a bull terrier is any more prone to snap than a bored out of its wits border collie.
The argument is that they're not more prone to snap (you only have to meet a small dog to realise this, even yorkies are loving mental), but they do have more powerful jaws and a tendency to thrash, so they do a lot more damage when they do bite as opposed to the nip you get from a jack russell or bichon frizzy.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 11, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yeah big work dogs like Shepherds definitely aren't for every owner or every home, but the successful copaganda effort to brand them as hero officer dogs who only bite bad guys means that the Mail will never turn on them like they do the "this new American dog is bred to eat you" types.

forkboy84 posted:

XL Bully Hamster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysG96dUtGh4&t=11s

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mega Comrade posted:

:dafuq:

You just anti pet in general?

I'd be fine personally demonstrating my ability to be a good owner and my dog being a good girl.
But the reality is this Government (or Starmers Labour) would never fund such a scheme.

what is a pet if not a luxury item

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

They're often more aggressive towards people because folks don't bother training it out of them though. People walking little dogs who are pulling so hard on their leads that they're walking only on their hind legs, snarling and snapping at people and other dogs who come past, but the owners don't bother doing anything about it just because they're able to physically hold them back.

I've got scars from my dog, from when he was a puppy with food aggression which we've since trained out of him.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/BitebackPub/status/1700645507977150550

are most welcome invitee to the top dollar respected speaking gig circuit

It's taken longer than I thought for her to be rehabilitated really

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

... dangerous bogs list ...

Curse the sudden but inevitable betrayal of my subconscious. :ughh: :rolleyes:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jakabite posted:

Counterpoint: I don’t want dogs to come over and sniff me and owners should be in control of their dogs. I am allowed to not want my personal space invaded by a big slobbery thing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

They're often more aggressive towards people because folks don't bother training it out of them though. People walking little dogs who are pulling so hard on their leads that they're walking only on their hind legs, snarling and snapping at people and other dogs who come past, but the owners don't bother doing anything about it just because they're able to physically hold them back.

Sure, but in a combat scenario where you are attacked by an off the rails chihuahua vs a staffy, I personally feel confident I could absolutely destroy the chihuahua and take only minimal damage.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Would you rather fight three chihuahua sized staffies, or one staffy sized chihuahua?

Scientastic posted:

Counterpoint: I don’t want dogs to come over and sniff me
why the hell not, if a dog blesses you with its attention you should be grateful for the purest love the universe can know

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think we should let dogs have guns

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem with "oh he's harmless" is that it's very easy to convince yourself of that, just people seeing their own dog being cute and cuddly at home, or in this little bellend's case in the brief 5 minutes of sunbathing he's allowed before he has to come back in and lie on a cooling mat.

I'm rambling but the point is control your loving dogs people. They may seem like cuddly little angels (and they absolutely are), but they are also animals with instincts they can't always help.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

why the hell not, if a dog blesses you with its attention you should be grateful for the purest love the universe can know

It's because of that thing you yourself said about an hour ago, hope that helps.

To be slightly less snarky, it's because I don't wanna be drooled on, jumped on, licked, etc by something when I'm not expecting or wanting it? Is that really particularly hard to understand?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From the people who brought you sharknado, "staffy with a gun." Starring Jason fackin' Statham, probably.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Would you rather fight three chihuahua sized staffies, or one staffy sized chihuahua?

Because I don't trust the person who owns the dog to have trained the dog enough so that a sniff doesn't turn into a bite. Like honestly, how many bad experiences with other peoples dogs do you have to have before you're allowed to be deeply distrustful of them?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Excited to learn about gun dogs; saddened by the reality about gun dogs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

https://twitter.com/BitebackPub/status/1700645507977150550

are most welcome invitee to the top dollar respected speaking gig circuit

It's taken longer than I thought for her to be rehabilitated really
10 years to save the west from what?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Have we considered people being mauled by herds of cats?

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon/status/1700951931542253630?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cats also carry a fuckton of nasty diseases, they're little shitheads. Even when they're affectionate it's in a weird "I own you, you stupid massive kitten" kind of way.

Guavanaut posted:

It's actually not that long a read - clocks in at 12 words shy of 1500.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 11, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I live a full and exciting life, and I don't think I have ever really been unexpectedly slobbered on by a dog, or otherwise.

I mean babies yeah. But you kind of have to pick the thing up for that to happen. To be clear, I'm 50/50 on banning them too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Scientastic posted:

Counterpoint: I don’t want dogs to come over and sniff me and owners should be in control of their dogs. I am allowed to not want my personal space invaded by a big slobbery thing

I can personally remember being chased by a dog on my bicycle as a kid by the neighbors mean dog. Fucker was fast... Few years ago I got attacked by an random aggressive dog too, I was just lucky I was painting the house and the kids where indoors so I just climbed up the ladder... My son also got attacked by a dog when he was 3 and the bicycle and all tipped over. He is 10 today and still afraid of all dogs, even yappy little chihuahuas.

Commonality, unleashed dogs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If dogs are outlawed then only outlaws will have dogs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I get that but it’s just not that big a deal really is it. The vast majority of the people in the UK are dog people and I’m glad we haven’t kowtowed to the minority who aren’t by making people leash dogs at all times. A dog occasionally coming to check you out is part of public life here.

I just worry every time there’s a moral panic that we’ll go the way of the US. I’d hate that for the dogs, owners, and me, who loves it when a dog comes and says hello

E: this wasn’t in reply to you HDS, hadn’t seen your post. That’s a hell of a run of bad luck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Have we considered people being mauled by herds of cats?
I got the gift of Clostridium tetani from a cat puncture. Fortunately my vaccines are up to date so it just made the area of my leg swell up.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Labeling a particular breed a "dangerous dog" just makes them more attractive to the kind of dog owner who treats their dog as a penis extension rather than a pet and family member.

This is a part of it, they are bought by people who want a dangerous dog. But there is another important part that is often forgotten and has me rolling my eyes at all the poo poo people say about "little dogs being more likely to bite" or pointing to historic moral panics about dogs:

When worst comes to worst, If a little dog, or a German Shepard, or a Doberman bites someone, they can be pulled away, or fought against, or even recalled by their owner. It is rarely going to be a big deal. Maybe a few stitches at most.

If a pitbull does that to you, you will lose a limb, or you will die, and the same for anyone trying to help you. They can chew off a bodybuilders arm at the bicep. Physically, their jaws lock on, and they have incredibly overstrength jaws, which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*. Psychologically, they will not stop, they will only become more determined the more you try to stop them. They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.

*There are genuinely people who believe they were bred for nannying children. Nannying them right into the grave perhaps. Insane propaganda.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh THAT'S why they're called pit bulls

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah if your dog does have any agression issues, keep it leashed for gently caress's sake.

My lad has never shown any agression towards people but I try to discourage him from going over because if anything he's too enthusiastic. So I guess I do understand it if the dog is not clearly and obviously being friendly.

Which was supposed to be kind of the point of the "oh but he's harmless" post earlier, but it sort of got away from me. I know he's just playing, or he's just trying to lick your face, or just barking at the delivery person, but people who don't know that don't know any of that.

Example - sister in law thought it'd be funny to teach him to growl when she was playing with him, so now when he gets overexcited during play he growls. Which other dogs don't like. And other dog owners are rightly terrified of because of the breed's reputation. So even if I know he doesn't mean it that way, it doesn't matter because I have to be in control of a dog other people percieve as a problem.

And like when I have to deal with a pack of little shits nipping at his ankles - he doesn't know they don't mean it (and to be absolutely honest I'm never convinced they don't mean it).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I get that but it’s just not that big a deal really is it. The vast majority of the people in the UK are dog people and I’m glad we haven’t kowtowed to the minority who aren’t by making people leash dogs at all times. A dog occasionally coming to check you out is part of public life here.

I just worry every time there’s a moral panic that we’ll go the way of the US. I’d hate that for the dogs, owners, and me, who loves it when a dog comes and says hello

E: this wasn’t in reply to you HDS, hadn’t seen your post. That’s a hell of a run of bad luck.

ah yes, the minority of people who have issues with dogs because of past incidents should just go gently caress themselves

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They can chew off a bodybuilders arm at the bicep. Physically, their jaws lock on, and they have incredibly overstrength jaws, which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*. Psychologically, they will not stop, they will only become more determined the more you try to stop them. They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.
That's the same thing that was said in every other historic moral dog panic. The hard-nosed Teuton breeds his dogs not to feel pain and to love the taste of Belgian infants.

Mastiffs have a massively higher bite force than pitbulls, over 550 psi against 240-330, were bred for baiting lions, and also instinctively lock, but we haven't had a mastiff dog panic since the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

From whatever the West is threatened by of course. You can probably BYOB (last B for bigotry)