Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

GreenNight posted:

Would you all pay $200 for this? Supposedly it all works.

I don't think those are full size 19" component. Seems like they're 12" mini. And 60 watts per channel. So it's missing the speakers at least. It's the predecessor to those ubiquitous AIWA systems on every best buy shelf with the gaudy lights. It's worth 50 bucks at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ya that makes sense. Appreciate the input!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

DrBouvenstein posted:

One of the most bizarre TV-edits I saw was for Mallrats. It was on either Comedy Central or TBS I imagine.

At the start, when Brodie is asking Quint if he ever farted in front of his girlfriend, then explains he did once while she was going down on him...they changed it to "throw up" instead of fart, and "making out with" instead of "going down on."

I get changing the oral sex to just making out...but why change fart?! I mean...I sort of get they were going for;
"Ok, farts come from the butt, near the dick...so we need a bodily function from the mouth, since we changed it to making out... we'll go with vomit! Perfect!"

But
1) They still could have kept fart, and it would work. It would have worked just fine, because it would be considered rude by a lot of people to fart in front of them while you're making out. Especially if it's early in the relationship and it's literally the first time you farted in front of them.
2) If they insisted on changing it to a mouth-based bodily function, why not burp?

Even though most of us lived through it society has progressed so that it’s difficult to even imagine the sort of pointless random crap that offended boomers back in the day. I remember adults having psychotic breakdowns over talk of boogers and toilets when I was a kid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1697649564814127493?s=20

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ironically, broadcast stations are now dependent on carriage fees they charge cable and satellite providers.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'm a fan of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IOjaCmFX_s

despite the Octopus slander.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

It was never free as long as there were commercials! You can always make more stupid money, your time is finite

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Thanks to last week’s video from Techmoan I came this close to spending 80€ on a DCC of Diamonds & Pearls by Prince.

I’m glad I came to my senses in time but dang

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I don't think those are full size 19" component. Seems like they're 12" mini. And 60 watts per channel. So it's missing the speakers at least. It's the predecessor to those ubiquitous AIWA systems on every best buy shelf with the gaudy lights. It's worth 50 bucks at most.

Yeah what you want from Fisher is the rackmount stuff in the Studio Standard series. Good tape deck, decent amp. I have a 6225 turntable, it’s awesome and has magnetic drive. So darn precise rpm-wise at least. But check the 2-channel HiFi thread for more opinions :)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Even though most of us lived through it society has progressed so that it’s difficult to even imagine the sort of pointless random crap that offended boomers back in the day. I remember adults having psychotic breakdowns over talk of boogers and toilets when I was a kid.

one thing about boomers is the combo of: a whole lot of them had dads who were messed up by war, and, beating children was usually socially and legally acceptable

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:rip:

https://x.com/Eric_Erins/status/1701284797966913554?s=20

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I always wonder if the next generation would decry the modern destruction of linear communication infrastructure in a similar way we decry the loss of past public transportation infrastructure.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

By popular demand posted:

I always wonder if the next generation would decry the modern destruction of linear communication infrastructure in a similar way we decry the loss of past public transportation infrastructure.

The hardest class in networking where i used to work was voip. I saw what the class was, it was literally just the paradigm of phone systems they didnt understand (handset having access to multiple lines and #s, transferring calls, internal extensions)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This very morning I came across essentially that: https://archive.ph/05Sjr

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Kinda surprised these haven't been converted to charging stations now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
...is the next gen called Gen Alpha?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

credburn posted:

...is the next gen called Gen Alpha?

The alternative would be making up more letters after Z or making the alphabet a kind of inverse-hexadecimal and make 0 the 27th letter.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

OwlFancier posted:

The alternative would be making up more letters after Z or making the alphabet a kind of inverse-hexadecimal and make 0 the 27th letter.

We went from X to Millenial, we don't have to follow the drat alphabet.

I find this very upsetting.

Alpha is the first thing. What does this mean? What does that suggest? This is an enormous burden for the next generation to carry.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Should've called them Omega.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

Before we were Millennials, there were plenty of places calling us Gen Y cause Y comes after X.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I live in California. For decades there were dedicated telephone booths (later solar powered) every so often along the road, so you could call the state troopers and report an accident, or ask to be picked up to get gas, or whatever. They're all decommissioned now because cellphones. However, they were also decommissioned on State Road 20, which is a completely dead zone. Sigh.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Time to go criming along Road 20 I guess.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

credburn posted:

Elon musk changed the name again???

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OwlFancier posted:

Instead of the Greek alphabet, let's start going through the Pokedex. First up: Generation Bulbasaur.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Trabant posted:

Should've called them Omega.

Maybe appropriate! :smith:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I vote for generation goatse, followed by generation tub girl, generation lemon party, generation Cheetos, generation mountain dew and the ultimate, generation pig balls. At the end of which, the works explodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

I find this very upsetting.

Alpha is the first thing. What does this mean? What does that suggest? This is an enormous burden for the next generation to carry.

X was supposed to be a roman numeral anyway

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that makes the generation after zoomers "Gen 13: The Cursed Generation", which seems accurate.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I recently watched through Person of Interest for the first time, and also took a trip to New York this summer.

There weren't many payphones to be seen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

evobatman posted:

I recently watched through Person of Interest for the first time, and also took a trip to New York this summer.

There weren't many payphones to be seen.

On the good side of things, you never saw a Jim Caveziel either!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

I wouldn't decry the loss of landlines yet but I would absolutely say that it's a shame that pneumatic tube systems aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah all the banks around here had theirs torn out years ago. Now they just have ATMs that accept cash deposits. Meaning I have to go inside if I want a roll of quarters or something. I can't remember if you could get a roll of quarters through pneumatic tube.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Someone got a link handy for that bit on the pneumatic tube restaurant? Because that could actually make a comeback in a nation beset by a contagious plague and craving for fast food.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This is probably the one you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHZLKFblKo

Also, while searching for that one I found this other one that's definitely on-topic for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfM4cjDoo6o

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it
nsfw

I have been living with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Two weeks ago he sat me down and presented a powerpoint presentation with his business idea. I knew he'd been working on an idea, but he didn't want to tell me about it until it was finished. Based on his enthusiasm and his prior seemingly intelligent nature, I thought maybe it'd be a pretty cool idea.

Instead he presented to me an idea about "soup tubes". The idea, if you can call it that, is to construct a series of tubes throughout our city that leads to centralized soup kitchens. For a monthly subscription, a customer can "subscribe to a tube of soup", and a tube extension would be built off the nearest mainline tube and directly into the customer apartment or home. Based on subscription level, that would determine the quantity of soup a customer could pour and how many types of soup. The "tubes" are basically the size of pipes, like you might see under a sink, but he insisted that "it MUST be called soup tube, not soup pipe, tube just zings better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. At first I asked if he was crank yanking me or something, but he was completely sincere. Obviously, the idea is completely insane. The notion that the city would authorize somebody to construct a series of tubes everywhere that carry soup into homes is of course ludicrous. And even if such an initiative were approved, the costs for such an operation would be ridiculous. You would have to charge outrageous prices for customers to install and "subscribe" to a soup tube, and who would pay for such a service when canned soup costs like a dollar or two? Or you can buy soup from a restaurant for a few dollars? I explained these things as politely as I could but he dismissed them and all said that "tube based soup delivery is the wave of the future."

He then asked me how much I wanted to invest, and I told him nothing, and he looked absolutely heartbroken. Since then, almost every day he has asked again for me to invest, and keeps trying to sell me on the idea. He is also doing the same thing to a lot of his friends.

It is starting to drive me up the wall. First, I am at a loss as to how he can believe such a stupid idea is worthwhile, second it is really god damned annoying to be asked on a daily basis to invest in a system of soup tubes, and third I am also concerned for his sanity. Other than his apparent obsession with this though he has shown no other signs.

I would like some advice as to how I can reason with him, or whether I should even continue this relationship.

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A series of soup tubes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Community notes: the tubes are actually pipes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grassy Knowles posted:

Community notes: the tubes are actually pipes

Are they similar to trucks?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Zoomer here. Are they like mail chutes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it
nsfw

I have been living with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Two weeks ago he sat me down and presented a powerpoint presentation with his business idea. I knew he'd been working on an idea, but he didn't want to tell me about it until it was finished. Based on his enthusiasm and his prior seemingly intelligent nature, I thought maybe it'd be a pretty cool idea.

Instead he presented to me an idea about "soup tubes". The idea, if you can call it that, is to construct a series of tubes throughout our city that leads to centralized soup kitchens. For a monthly subscription, a customer can "subscribe to a tube of soup", and a tube extension would be built off the nearest mainline tube and directly into the customer apartment or home. Based on subscription level, that would determine the quantity of soup a customer could pour and how many types of soup. The "tubes" are basically the size of pipes, like you might see under a sink, but he insisted that "it MUST be called soup tube, not soup pipe, tube just zings better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. At first I asked if he was crank yanking me or something, but he was completely sincere. Obviously, the idea is completely insane. The notion that the city would authorize somebody to construct a series of tubes everywhere that carry soup into homes is of course ludicrous. And even if such an initiative were approved, the costs for such an operation would be ridiculous. You would have to charge outrageous prices for customers to install and "subscribe" to a soup tube, and who would pay for such a service when canned soup costs like a dollar or two? Or you can buy soup from a restaurant for a few dollars? I explained these things as politely as I could but he dismissed them and all said that "tube based soup delivery is the wave of the future."

He then asked me how much I wanted to invest, and I told him nothing, and he looked absolutely heartbroken. Since then, almost every day he has asked again for me to invest, and keeps trying to sell me on the idea. He is also doing the same thing to a lot of his friends.

It is starting to drive me up the wall. First, I am at a loss as to how he can believe such a stupid idea is worthwhile, second it is really god damned annoying to be asked on a daily basis to invest in a system of soup tubes, and third I am also concerned for his sanity. Other than his apparent obsession with this though he has shown no other signs.

I would like some advice as to how I can reason with him, or whether I should even continue this relationship.

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.

"Crank yanking me" ??

????? Talk about obsolete/old