Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The woman who takes her XL bully on the field here says “If he went, I wouldn’t be able to hold him. Not at all” as her dog stands ramrod straight, trembling and whining as it stares at a group of young children playing football.

I walk my dog on the lead because he cannot stop himself from charging off across the field as soon as he sees it, which might be directly towards someone he doesn’t know. He just wants to do laps but he’s not good at personal space. Once we’re into the the fields proper he can do what he wants, although a woman did recently shout at us (from a distance) “Put your dog on a loving lead! I don’t like dogs! Fifth loving dog I’ve seen in this field with no lead on in an hour!” which somewhat begs the question as to what she’s doing hanging about for an hour in the dog walking field if she dislikes dogs so strongly.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's also a real issue with dog owners systematically going to nature reserves (not dog parks) and refusing to keep their dog on the lead. It causes real disturbance to wildlife.

FENTON!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

For our next topic, let's discuss "whether cats should be allowed outside" with some Americans. If you thought the opinions expressed so far were intense, just wait.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Save outdoor cat discourse for Twitter

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Horse I was riding gave a little french bulldog type a light kick when it wouldn't back off; launched it about a metre. Dog came back for a second go before the owners managed to get it on a lead.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
British people are extremely insane about dogs, it appears. Dogs are good

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

For our next topic, let's discuss "whether cats should be allowed outside" with some Americans. If you thought the opinions expressed so far were intense, just wait.
should cats be circumcised though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Number one cause of a bad dog is a bad owner IMO and IME.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

Those docs are usually just fun to watch streets flood and buildings collapse, but I'd rather not think about the fate of the vast majority of pets in that scenario thanks. Though the ex-Royal corgi packs hunting through crumbling London were amusing.
In that kind of apocalyptic documentary format whichever pet is operating the TV camera is probably the best off.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

100%

sadly bad owners either don’t realise they are or don’t care, which is where the problems happen

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tesseraction posted:

My dog is a good boy but also a loving idiot; draw your own conclusions.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

British people are extremely insane about dogs, it appears. Dogs are good

Who was saying they weren't?

Also my cat is an indoor cat, not because of the environment but because her breed and I quote "has no self preservation skills" which is an adorable way of saying she'd just die in 5 minutes if she went off exploring.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

My dog is a good boy but also a loving idiot; draw your own conclusions.

He's cute but he shouldn't be allowed to own a dog

Aphex- posted:

Who was saying they weren't?

A bunch of cunts

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dogs owning dogs is chattel slavery

Humans owning dogs is fine don't think about it

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
if i was a bird i would simply fly away from the cat intending to kill me

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

100%

sadly bad owners either don’t realise they are or don’t care, which is where the problems happen

I think it's the same with most things. If someone tells you they're a great driver while driving it's almost certain they've nearly gotten you killed about 5 times.

"I'm the only person here who knows how to do their job" = I'm a massive pain in the arse everyone hates working with who does f all.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 11, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It'll obviously never, ever happen but it doesn't seem too insane to me to implement a dog owning license which can be regularly reviewed or revoked depending on the behaviour of the dog and the owner. Yes, lots of dogs and dog owners are good and nice, but many of them are irresponsible pricks, and it's insane to me that there are no controls on who gets to own their own personal loud, aggressive making GBS threads machine.

The dog control debate is fairly analogous to gun control debate (albeit with much lower stakes); people are incredibly passionate about their right to own one, believe totally in their own personal abilities to do so, and can point to the irresponsibility of others as to why there's any debate at all. But similarly, on the other side, so long as there's widespread access to ownership, you will ALWAYS have to suffer the consequences of letting any old dickhead have one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Our cat is an outdoor cat, and we live in a relatively quiet area full of very happy outdoor cats. The one and only time ours went exploring up the road, she managed to get stuck in someone's front hedge and we had to go and find her. That experience put her off it a bit, and now she only hangs out in our garden, except when she visits the lovely elderly couple next door who have two cats of their own. She's 16 now and we expect her to live to 20 she's in such good health.

I'm always delighted to see a cat when I'm out on my walk, cause so many of them are friendly and appreciate a good pet, and the ones that aren't will just politely remove themselves from the situation. Dogs are a different story.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I really think i've lucked out where I live (or i've just had the type of things that get prioritised over others), but I can get a GP appointment within a day or so here and the hospitals are just a 20 minute drive away. When going through the motions of getting my 8-week-old into hospital on Saturday, it was:

a call to 111 at about 3pm
a drive to the outpatient hospital for a 5:30pm appointment
Sent to the Royal Infirmary child unit by 6pm
Initial examinations and such done by 8pm with a room and such assigned to my wife and baby.
Test results came back the next afternoon showing covid

Things are on their knees, but the NHS still does a bang-up job.

The only things that are shite here is that it's too overpopulated, so we couldn't register with the local GP and had to go to one the next town over (the local GP is just a 2 minute drive from the house). That GPs clinic has implemented some silly admin thing where the receptionist(s) also have to deal with prescriptions.

Without fail, i'm always late for a GP appointment because I'm stuck in the queue at reception behind some dithering old gently caress who refuses to accept they got their prescription or appointment details mixed up and want the doctors or receptionists to fix it right then and there rather than loving off and using the GP's online ticketing system to get it taken care of.

Dabir posted:

Our cat is an outdoor cat, and we live in a relatively quiet area full of very happy outdoor cats. The one and only time ours went exploring up the road, she managed to get stuck in someone's front hedge and we had to go and find her. That experience put her off it a bit, and now she only hangs out in our garden, except when she visits the lovely elderly couple next door who have two cats of their own. She's 16 now and we expect her to live to 20 she's in such good health.

I'm always delighted to see a cat when I'm out on my walk, cause so many of them are friendly and appreciate a good pet, and the ones that aren't will just politely remove themselves from the situation. Dogs are a different story.

Your cat has likely poo poo in someone else's garden and i would wholly support that garden owner finding you and punching you in the neck.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I want a GP appointment I don't bother calling them because it takes less time to drive there, wait in line, speak to someone, and get home than it does to call.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

It'll obviously never, ever happen but it doesn't seem too insane to me to implement a dog owning license which can be regularly reviewed or revoked depending on the behaviour of the dog and the owner. Yes, lots of dogs and dog owners are good and nice, but many of them are irresponsible pricks, and it's insane to me that there are no controls on who gets to own their own personal loud, aggressive making GBS threads machine.

The dog control debate is fairly analogous to gun control debate (albeit with much lower stakes); people are incredibly passionate about their right to own one, believe totally in their own personal abilities to do so, and can point to the irresponsibility of others as to why there's any debate at all. But similarly, on the other side, so long as there's widespread access to ownership, you will ALWAYS have to suffer the consequences of letting any old dickhead have one.
There does seem to be an increase in fatal dog attacks from when the dog licence was abolished in 1988, which coincided with the move towards breed specific legislation and the tabloids going into full meltdown about baby eating foreign dogs.

The dog licence was unpopular and viewed as doing nothing for animal welfare, but the 80s had 10 fatal dog attacks and the 90s had 16 and the 00s 31, so perhaps making owning a dog a tiny bit more of a hassle (but basically nothing compared to the time and effort you should be spending with your dog) did more good than breed related panics.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

If I want a GP appointment I don't bother calling them because it takes less time to drive there, wait in line, speak to someone, and get home than it does to call.

How did you get the one GP in the country that takes any kind of walk in

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BAN THAT SICK FILTH!! :mad: Did you know that nobles bred horses to stampede over and kick and bite people?? They did! If your horse saw a baby and wanted to eat it, you won't be able to physically stop it because it's so much stronger and feels no pain and its jaws lock in place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kin posted:

Your cat has likely poo poo in someone else's garden and i would wholly support that garden owner finding you and punching you in the neck.

Do I have to punch all the dog owners who leave piles of dogshit all over the pavements in the neck? Cause I don't really want to, that sounds stupid and violent. Besides, it's far more likely that the cats belonging to the one other family she visits have poo poo in our garden, and I cannot bring myself to care.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

History Comes Inside! posted:

How did you get the one GP in the country that takes any kind of walk in

Sorry, I mean walk in and speak to a receptionist to book an appointment 7 weeks from now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I regret to inform you todays dog discourse has now moved on to “dogs in pubs”

https://twitter.com/nrgsrhc/status/1701162912901927271?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

There does seem to be an increase in fatal dog attacks from when the dog licence was abolished in 1988, which coincided with the move towards breed specific legislation and the tabloids going into full meltdown about baby eating foreign dogs.

The dog licence was unpopular and viewed as doing nothing for animal welfare, but the 80s had 10 fatal dog attacks and the 90s had 16 and the 00s 31, so perhaps making owning a dog a tiny bit more of a hassle (but basically nothing compared to the time and effort you should be spending with your dog) did more good than breed related panics.

What's the per dog-capita on that though. Like, has dog ownership just gone up over time, with a related % increased in fatal dog attacks.

You'd expect a 20% increase from human population increase alone, but applying stats to anything with single-digit incidents per year is always dodgy. Not that it doesn't stop organisations and journalists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/nrgsrhc/status/1701162912901927271?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

A pub full of dogs is great craic, pub full of kids is nightmare zone.

Thread is now fully r/dogfree vs r/childfree , hell is empty and all the cunts are here

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dabir posted:

Do I have to punch all the dog owners who leave piles of dogshit all over the pavements in the neck? Cause I don't really want to, that sounds stupid and violent. Besides, it's far more likely that the cats belonging to the one other family she visits have poo poo in our garden, and I cannot bring myself to care.

I'm assuming someone (possibly the council) eventually clean up the dog poo poo on pavements. I, however, know that I 100% have to pick up the sometimes liquified catshit from my garden. The way I see it, the more cat owners are punched in the neck (let's just call it a cat tax), the fewer cats there'll likely be making GBS threads in other people's gardens in general.

Dog owners can control where their dog's poo poo ends up for the most part. Cat owners basically bring a wild animal to a neighbourhood and shrug their shoulders when it starts pissing off multiple people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

There's more kids in school than there are dogs, so it's almost like one has traditionally been a place for children and the other not.

Loads of family restaurants where you find kids but not dogs (other than assistance dogs), and there'll be things for children to do there other than drink lemonade while you get drunk.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What's the per dog-capita on that though. Like, has dog ownership just gone up over time, with a related % increased in fatal dog attacks.

You'd expect a 20% increase from human population increase alone, but applying stats to anything with single-digit incidents per year is always dodgy. Not that it doesn't stop organisations and journalists.

Not enough to explain the large rise from the 80s, and dog pop is down in the 00s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

You’re one of those people who also want to ban fireworks and balloons aren’t you.

E: My PTSD is triggered by the police, which actually should be banned.

Fireworks do seem like a quite bad idea all round to be honest, their only applications in public hands are being a dickhead, blowing your hand off, and making rich dickheads money.

Oh and I guess making IEDs but ymmv on whether that is a pro or a con.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I love dogs and I think people should be able to walk them in the park off lead but that freedom is contingent on being able to recall your dog consistently. If you can’t do that, you forfeit the right to walk them off lead.

I will say as a Canadian who’s lived in England and now Scotland that way more people in the UK are weird about their dogs than in Canada. Like a good number of my friends have neurotic, high-maintenance dogs.

In my immediate social network, I know of 4 people with dogs that have required special training to get under control and even then several of them still exhibit aggressive or weird behaviour. I would put it down to pound adoptions being less common here and people often not having lots of yard space for their dogs to run around in.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Fireworks do seem like a quite bad idea all round to be honest, their only applications in public hands are being a dickhead, blowing your hand off, and making rich dickheads money.

Oh and I guess making IEDs but ymmv on whether that is a pro or a con.

It absolutely astonishes me that once a year explosives are happily sold to members of the public in supermarkets. It’s absolutely bizarre

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that xcom debate shows more the British obsession with pubs than it does dogs, because who on earth immediately jumps to that and not the park (separate sections for dogs and kids), a cafe (kids and no dogs, unless it's a street cafe), restaurants, cinemas, shopping malls, airports, libraries, places of worship, museums? Like they picked one of the few spaces that's not for kids to make their bizarre point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the xcom debate that we should send the murder dogs to fight the lobstermen?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Musk let the lobstermen back on.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Is the xcom debate that we should send the murder dogs to fight the lobstermen?

loving Lobstermen... hiding in closets just waiting to stab you in the back!! :argh:

Honestly Xcom & TFTD were/are great games to play.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dogs in pubs are usually fine, they're just lounging around, doing nothing much.

Our local in Pin Mill was often carpeted in lurchers just lazing in front of the fire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Your have to keep in mind that a dog has won Britain's Got Talent more than once. Not actually sure what the message is, but keep it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Complete change of topic but what's the parents actual excuse for Sara Sharif's death?