Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fine, count me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

hatty posted:

No but everyone is saying the 13th because it’s a week before TGS and that’s when it always is

They should have it on the 11th so we Never Forget all the great games coming out

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The Swtwooch (pronounced sw-two-ooch)

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The Nintendo Manwitch

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Not game related but Switch Lites can be had for so cheap right now. See a few listings for sub $100 local to me. Insane.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Nintendo Switch Country Tropical Freeze

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope in the next Zelda you can upgrade Links base attack strength

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finished Hero's Cave in Oracle of Ages, giving me 100% completition on rings. Only thing missing is to finish the playthrough and transfer the rings to all other 3 games and I'll have 100% the duology.

also i'd like to talk with the designer of Ages' Hero's Cave. to punch them in the face

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Not game related but Switch Lites can be had for so cheap right now. See a few listings for sub $100 local to me. Insane.

Probably because there's only "Lite" interest in them!!!!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finished Hero's Cave in Oracle of Ages, giving me 100% completition on rings. Only thing missing is to finish the playthrough and transfer the rings to all other 3 games and I'll have 100% the duology.

also i'd like to talk with the designer of Ages' Hero's Cave. to punch them in the face

What'd you think of the games overall? My replay soured me on them immensely. I don't think they're good Zelda games and I'm not sure if I think they're good. Just middling overall.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What'd you think of the games overall? My replay soured me on them immensely. I don't think they're good Zelda games and I'm not sure if I think they're good. Just middling overall.

Well I'd still say they are amongst my favorites! Granted, getting rings without a guide is impossible given how many are locked to Gasha Trees, and the rings locked behind linked games shouldn't have existed besides the one for starting a Hero's Secret (cause the storyline barely changes on a linked game) but they still have cool items and puzzles, and Labrynna is a great setting (Holodrum not so much). They're also somewhat challenging compared to Majora-BotW Zeldas (unless you use Red Ring).

It's just I really want to punch whoever designed the tile puzzle where the answer is use Cane of Somaria on the last tile cause otherwise it's impossible to fill all in you idiot

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They’re among the best top down Zelda games and I prefer them greatly to Minish Cap. Really good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm playing through Ages right now, and the duology has some ambition for some GBC games, but my god there's so much inane padded out downtime between dungeons, and these games are probably the absolute worst with those periods. The loving Tokay island sequence that came right after some fetch quests.

Also who at Capcom thought the mermaid suit's control scheme was a good idea?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Araxxor posted:

I'm playing through Ages right now, and the duology has some ambition for some GBC games, but my god there's so much inane padded out downtime between dungeons, and these games are probably the absolute worst with those periods. The loving Tokay island sequence that came right after some fetch quests.

Yeah some of the dungeon padding is real bad. There are a few that are cool like navigating the Zora Sea which is an actual puzzle or Tarm Ruins in Seasons. Mermaid suit was probably born of "We need a way to let players submerge, use items and speed up with the mermaid suit with only the GBC buttons" but somehow forgot they could. Just make the suit go at max speed instead of having to press the dpad repeatedly. And don't make the swim faster ring a Seasons->Ages exclusive.

Also gently caress I forgot to visit Pippin's kid between dungeons and he might not get to his last event. Not much of a problem since at best the reward is rupees you only need for getting all rings and he grew up to adulthood but man it's easy to forget when you're speeding to get the last secret and be able to do Hero's Cave.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

man nurse posted:

They’re among the best top down Zelda games and I prefer them greatly to Minish Cap. Really good.

I need to replay Minish Cap. Though best top down is LttP (and LBW by proxy) and Awakenings, not even close for me.

Araxxor posted:

Lack of buttons but that item is AWFUL.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well I'd still say they are amongst my favorites! Granted, getting rings without a guide is impossible given how many are locked to Gasha Trees, and the rings locked behind linked games shouldn't have existed besides the one for starting a Hero's Secret (cause the storyline barely changes on a linked game) but they still have cool items and puzzles, and Labrynna is a great setting (Holodrum not so much). They're also somewhat challenging compared to Majora-BotW Zeldas (unless you use Red Ring).

It's just I really want to punch whoever designed the tile puzzle where the answer is use Cane of Somaria on the last tile cause otherwise it's impossible to fill all in you idiot

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like Araxxor I find it has far too much interstitial stuff. Ages has some good dungeons but that's about it. There's none of Awakenings charm and it lacks the tightness and just... majesty, for lack of a better word, of LttP for me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eh, I'm biased since I already played them way back and Ages was one of my favorites so yeah. Won't deny their faults.

Except maybe Jabu Jabu's Belly because when has Jabu Jabu's Belly not been an atrocious dungeon.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Araxxor posted:

my god there's so much inane padded out downtime between dungeons, and these games are probably the absolute worst with those periods. The loving Tokay island sequence that came right after some fetch quests.

That's where I dropped the game when trying it a couple years ago.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

maybealabia posted:

Two-Switch

Twoitch

Twitch

Oh poo poo Elon bought Nintendo and fired Charles Martinet

Why do you think they’re releasing F-Zero X?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nintendo Twatch

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Waffle! posted:

Nintendo Twatch

that's the british only market version

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m thinking of buying my nephew a switch. He is 7 and neuroatypical. My thinking is to buy the switch, but the family plan (i have my own switch) of old games for him to mess with, and maybe get him minecraft or whatever his peers are into.

I’m debating on the portable only versus the docking one. Also curious what other peoples’s experiences are and what games little kids like. Thanks for any advice!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

fr0id posted:

I’m thinking of buying my nephew a switch. He is 7 and neuroatypical. My thinking is to buy the switch, but the family plan (i have my own switch) of old games for him to mess with, and maybe get him minecraft or whatever his peers are into.

I’m debating on the portable only versus the docking one. Also curious what other peoples’s experiences are and what games little kids like. Thanks for any advice!

every little kid loves mario games

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

More like NONEtendo because it doesn't have any games!!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Kids love Kirby!

I also love Kirby. :hai:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

fr0id posted:

Plenty of kid-friendly games on the thing.

Seconding kids love Kirby!

I'll also suggest Yoshi's Crafted World, anything Mario (kids love Mario!), and of course Pokemon.

Other suggestions would vary depending on what he or his friends are into.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Smash bro

No, 7 is not too young

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was a seven year old neuroatypical kid once and I put countless hours into smash treating it like a virtual action figure set. I could only imagine what a kid could do with the 89 characters in ultimate

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hatty posted:

I was a seven year old neuroatypical kid once and I put countless hours into smash treating it like a virtual action figure set. I could only imagine what a kid could do with the 89 characters in ultimate

Same, I played the original and melee all loving day

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hatty posted:

I liked collecting the trophies. :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pokemon, splatoon, kirby. some good poo poo games for kids imo

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

fr0id posted:

My kid has been Nintendo Switching since he was 4. Strong recommendations for any Kirby game, MK8D, Smash, any Pokemon

I'd go for the version that docks. The Switch is well built, but will have a hard time surviving a 7yo who is physically handling it all the time.

Consider also going the used route if this'll be his first owned electronic. Prices have been plummeting since Switch 2 rumors became so concrete and it'll take some pressure off of him / his parents

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

fr0id posted:

seconding all the other recommendations, but also if your nephew is anything like my nephew, i.e. the world's most adorable little shithead, he will love love love tormenting you in mario party

and if he's a crafty lil man, you might also get him mario maker 2 or even game maker garage. gmg is shockingly sensibly put together and it might be the only thing nintendo has ever made where i was actually grateful for their exhaustively hand-holdy style of tutorializing. it might be a bit much for a 7-year-old to pay attention to though, but definitely consider it for upcoming birthdays

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
get yo kid a sonic game

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mania might be the only one that runs any decent on Switch though. I guess the Genesis port(s?) and Colors are fine too. Except for the people that went out of their way to break Colors with memory leaks when it came out.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Lego City, Kirby Forgotten Land, Mario kart, and Mario 2D/3D are absolutely great for kids. YMMV but our kids also love party games like Astro Bears, Boomerang Fu, and Towerfall (aka the jumping on heads game) and the older ones (6+) enjoy co-op puzzlers like Unravelled 2 and It Takes Two.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

WarpDogs posted:

My kid has been Nintendo Switching since he was 4. Strong recommendations for any Kirby game, MK8D, Smash, any Pokemon

I'd go for the version that docks. The Switch is well built, but will have a hard time surviving a 7yo who is physically handling it all the time.

Consider also going the used route if this'll be his first owned electronic. Prices have been plummeting since Switch 2 rumors became so concrete and it'll take some pressure off of him / his parents

I’m going to second this for sure because you can always choose to play with a regular switch in Handheld mode but you can’t dock a switch lite. My kids got switch lites in august of 2020 which was partially because they were being Covid pandemic homeschooled. (I have a really funny video of my kid opening a box on his birthday and finding a wall light switch in it and then off camera I yell “no he wanted a switch lite, not a light switch” mama acts like “oh I messed that up I don’t know poo poo about video games” and then I come in being a hero and give both kids their switches)

Anyway, fast forward to 2022 and both kids have needed their switch lites disassembled to fix joy con issues because they use the same modules as the standalone joy cons and fail the same but the thing needs a full disassembly to fix the right one. So in the summer of 22 I bought a second switch from a goon in the s/a mart for like $100 or something and upgraded myself to an oled at Christmas and they both got upgraded.

This has worked out well because the kids each have their own rooms now and they each got one of my old 23” monitors so they can dock it and play on there and also play handheld if they want to play in bed or in their beanbag chairs for Minecraft marathons.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

More like NONEtendo because it doesn't have any games!!!

Wrong thread

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is NMS any good on the Switch? I need a break from TOTK and NMS is only like $30.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Whoa, my wife wanted Pikmin 4 and I just noticed it's only $43 at Walmart. Probably won't be this cheap on Nintendo estore for another 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Is NMS any good on the Switch? I need a break from TOTK and NMS is only like $30.

It runs surprisingly well and will definitely scratch the BotW/TotK peaceful zen exploration itch (or it does for me?) but it lacks online play and content from an update or two. There have been a gazillion updates so you're not missing much there.

If you don't care about encountering bases/players in the wild AND don't mind not-so-pretty vistas and a bit of pop-in, it does the job. Better on any other platform if portability isn't a factor tho.