Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

My overly long PBP 2023 report:

:popclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shadowhand00 posted:

My overly long PBP 2023 report:

So good thanks for sharing.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
ah yes finally a wood plated bike 1:24 times in the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MVarBsnf0g&t=84s

not even mahogany.

also LOL 9lb aluminum cast frame at 26mins for 8k

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 5, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Did my usual loop of Bergen -> Squaw Pass -> Idaho Springs -> Floyd Hill -> Bergen yesterday for the first time since doing the triple bypass. It's barely 6 weeks later and I'm already regretting not bringing warmer clothes for the descent. I also realized I really need to get a Garmin Varia one of these days. Hopefully they'll release one with USB-C soon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Did my usual loop of Bergen -> Squaw Pass -> Idaho Springs -> Floyd Hill -> Bergen yesterday for the first time since doing the triple bypass. It's barely 6 weeks later and I'm already regretting not bringing warmer clothes for the descent. I also realized I really need to get a Garmin Varia one of these days. Hopefully they'll release one with USB-C soon.

The newest one with the camera is USB c

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Mine with light/radar is not. 😭

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

ilkhan posted:

Mine with light/radar is not. 😭

Yeah this is the one I was looking at. It's smaller than the camera version right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah this is the one I was looking at. It's smaller than the camera version right?
Probably. I thought the camera version was too expensive and didn't really have a reason to get it over just the radar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

It’s about the same length, the camera is just way thicccer and requires a different mount.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

that one is also garbo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the camera quality isnt the best but i'll take it over a fly6

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Absolutely incredible stuff, congratulations

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
edit: never mind

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 7, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
In case anyone's looking for frame bags, the trek website has Ortlieb ones on sale for half off ($70-80) and free shipping. I was looking for this specific bag for my bike packing setup, so I jumped on it. 10% discount code pop up ad on their shop site as well for signing up to their mailing list which looks like you can uncheck everything they want to send you

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Did 3600 ft of climbing today on my lovely gravel bike. Think I’m ready for the 100k next week. Which has the same climbing but spread out 2x. my buddy wants me to do the 100mi ride with him which is more scenic but has 9000 ft of climbing. I’m still torn but leaning 100k. My legs hurt lol

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm going to vent for a moment. I'm a big dude now - 6'6", 395lbs. Quitting alcohol and dealing with serious mental health issues was the trigger for me ballooning to my current lovely state. It's my fault that I cross-addicted to food, so I'm not trying to push blame anywhere. I'm finally ready to get back out on the bike as it's the only exercise I can actually stand to do. Unfortunately, there are no road bikes that will support my fat rear end that I can find. Sure, I can probably get someone to custom make a frame, but that's gonna be $$$$ that I can't afford, and that would just be the frame. I honestly don't even know if they make tubeless slicks that would support me. The other option seems to be high-end touring ebikes. Those are way outside of my price range and I don't want an ebike.

It's a shame there isn't a market for bikes for heavy riders. I don't get it. Seems like a no-brainer. There will always be fat people looking to get in shape, and biking is both fun as poo poo and really easy on the back/knees. :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oldstench posted:

I'm going to vent for a moment. I'm a big dude now - 6'6", 395lbs. Quitting alcohol and dealing with serious mental health issues was the trigger for me ballooning to my current lovely state. It's my fault that I cross-addicted to food, so I'm not trying to push blame anywhere. I'm finally ready to get back out on the bike as it's the only exercise I can actually stand to do. Unfortunately, there are no road bikes that will support my fat rear end that I can find. Sure, I can probably get someone to custom make a frame, but that's gonna be $$$$ that I can't afford, and that would just be the frame. I honestly don't even know if they make tubeless slicks that would support me. The other option seems to be high-end touring ebikes. Those are way outside of my price range and I don't want an ebike.

It's a shame there isn't a market for bikes for heavy riders. I don't get it. Seems like a no-brainer. There will always be fat people looking to get in shape, and biking is both fun as poo poo and really easy on the back/knees. :(

Yuba cargo bikes are available non-electric and are really overbuilt, and smaller ones aren't that long and are reasonable daily riders.The $999 Kombi is rated to carry 390 lbs, so realistically you and your stuff would only be about 10-20 lbs over rating, which I'd personally accept: https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/kombi/

You want lots of spokes on the wheels and likely heavier gauge spokes. Almost every cargo bike will have that, and non-electric cargos don't have to be crazy expensive. The Yuba Mundo is rated to carry 490lbs, and those have been around forever and can be found used, but it's also really long and would be kind of a pain because of that.

Edit: I'm arriving at these numbers by subtracting bike weight from gross vehicle weight rating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oldstench posted:

Unfortunately, there are no road bikes that will support my fat rear end that I can find.

Find a lightly used steel touring bike, ride the wheels off of it, then cough up several hundred to get some extremely strong wheels made for it.

What is your budget and local Craigslist?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Yuba cargo bikes are available non-electric and are really overbuilt, and smaller ones aren't that long and are reasonable daily riders.The $999 Kombi is rated to carry 390 lbs, so realistically you and your stuff would only be about 10-20 lbs over rating, which I'd personally accept: https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/kombi/
This is certainly one I'll look into. It's a bit dorky looking but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks.

kimbo305 posted:

Find a lightly used steel touring bike, ride the wheels off of it, then cough up several hundred to get some extremely strong wheels made for it.
What is your budget and local Craigslist?
Will a steel touring bike support me?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Oldstench posted:

Zize Bikes makes bikes specifically for heavier and taller riders, with rated limits up to 550 lbs

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Been doing two days across Belgium, up to 90kms with an e-bike and panniers. Have landed in Roeselare and tomorrow morning is onto Gose.
It's been 30°+ each day but the e-bike picks up all that slack. Got some good steeds with great battery and hefty engines. Cycling along riverside was great. As soon as you hit normal road the sun baked me to bits and I needed stops.
The seat is hurting my butt by putting pressure on the backs of my legs rather than towards the middle as my city rider at home does.
But going to easily do the 70kms set out for tomorrow and the 70 the day after that too.
Super impressed with the power/cargo these hired bikes are giving.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Look at that sweet, sweet rack on that hot little thing over there.

I'm a pack rat. I like being prepared for breakdowns or flats, and on a road bike, you only have so much room. I can manage with a nice saddle bag and handlebar bag, but when it comes time to do an unsupported metric century, I have to get really creative to plan convenience store rest stops at logical places along the route. Now, that won't be an issue. And, next time I hit Good News along the Katy Trail, I'll be able to make a proper beer run!

I had the folks at the LBS do the main install. Attaching a rack to a D-Fuse-equipped bike requires one of two special seatpost adapters. A while back, I got one from the shop, but it's the wrong one--it goes on the frame and acts like the seatpost clamp and isn't compatible with my bike. The LBS did have the right part, though, soI let them deal with the rack install. When I got home, I adjusted the pitch of the shelf--they had it sloping away from the bike, so I fixed that.

I'm not going to use this as a grocery-getter or anything, since I have a bike that's better suited and equipped for that. But with the MTX trunks I have, this bike is now capable of more than just road riding. Keen!

Also, this was my first ride since the fitting. My seat was lowered about half a centimeter, but everything else was fine. The major change was the cleat position on my SPD shoes. We scooted the cleats back from almost all the way toward the toes to the most rearward position, and the difference is like night and early dusk. I feel like I'm putting power to the pedals much more efficiently. And, my bum right ankle didn't even think about trying to hurt.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 11, 2023

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oldstench posted:

I'm not quite as big as you (5'10") but earlier this year I was about 310 and have been 285+ for like 8 years now. I ride a Giant TCX cross bike with 700x32s on the road and have had it also for about 8 years. I've put it through a fair bit between gravel and road riding (I've got two wheelsets to easily swap road/gravel) totaling 4,352.2 mi and aside from pretty routine maintenance I haven't had any issues. I can't find an exact weight limit for the newer Revolt gravel bike from Giant but most road/gravel/cross bikes seem to be an official limit of ~260-280lbs give or take - in aluminum anyway. Sample size of one but I have definitely exceeded that for quite some time.

The other consideration is that potentially something more upright vs a true road bike may be more comfortable anyway until you shed some weight. My gut makes aero positions difficult for more than a minute or three and I usually am up on the hoods most of my ride.

No drops and it's a fair bit pricier than entry-mid level road bikes but rated for 550lbs https://zizebikes.com/product/the-yonder-bike/. Stock tires aren't exactly road tires but you could probably find something slicker and narrower that fits, depending on rim size. The more I look at it the more it just seems like a fat bike, though.

I definitely feel for you though. Cycling poo poo is largely designed with a sub-6ft 140lb dude in mind and trying to find kit and bikes and poo poo for someone 275lbs+ is a pain in the rear end. You're right though, it's the only serious cardio aside from ellipticals I can do without destroying my joints and it's hard to find the right gear sometimes. If you haven't come across them, Aero Tech Designs makes a lot of big and tall specific bibs and jerseys. Word of warning though, some of their stuff is sized all over the place. I ordered a high vis winter jacket from them and the measurements indicated something silly like 5x was what I needed but it's giant on me, kind of as I expected. It was on clearance for like $15 so maybe that was the reason. https://aerotechdesigns.com/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 11, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Also, this was my first ride since the fitting. My seat was lowered about half a centimeter, but everything else was fine.

Really surprised the fitter didn’t say or do anything about the angle of the bars. They look way angled up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I imagine that's cause they're so high in relation to the seat

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Really surprised the fitter didn’t say or do anything about the angle of the bars. They look way angled up.

It's an optical illusion; I took the picture with the camera at about the level of the crank.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Will a steel touring bike support me?

I’m confident wheels would be the weak point. Maaybe upgrade the bars, stem, and seatpost.

I’m seeing advertised weight limits from 300-350. Assume some of that is in cargo load, and you can go higher when the weight is in your body and more suspended by your limbs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Surly disc trucker comes in huge sizes and should hold up ok. It's still like $2000 retail though.

I did just see a broken rear wheel on a new one after one tour though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Disc trucker is on sale right now I think, at least at my lbs dude was trying to sell me one. I had an older style one that did lots of miles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Would there be a noticeable strength difference between 26" and 700 wheels given the same general configuration of materials, spoke layout etc?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I had the 26 and they felt indestructible, they only offer it up to size 56 on the new ones. Could maybe go 650b

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Would there be a noticeable strength difference between 26" and 700 wheels given the same general configuration of materials, spoke layout etc?

I would say so. I haven’t seen any apples to apples testing, but the improved bracing angles and smaller unsupported spans would stack up to a stronger wheel. I have never once been worried about (or experience) damaging wheels on any bike of mine with 24 or 20” rims.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks, it makes intuitive sense to me and I've found that anecdotally you need very expensive 700/29 rims for them to be really strong whereas the average 90's shitter MTB wheels seem indestructible

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Here's the cold treat bike that hits a lot of the events in my town. I got this picture the other day at our Pride event, and I figured that since some of y'all are cargo bike nerds, you'd appreciate a picture of this machine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's awesome. I wonder how it feels to steer, like if it's the rear moving aroud relative to your hands as opposed to your hands moving relative to the rest of your body.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Real glad to have my Varia taillight on for this foggy, damp-rear end morning.

Real nice and sunny a hour and a half later though.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That's awesome. I wonder how it feels to steer, like if it's the rear moving aroud relative to your hands as opposed to your hands moving relative to the rest of your body.

Reminds me of this trike review that talks about the different kind of steering setups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFT3YyEkkU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with suggestions. This has made me feel quite a bit less hopeless. I'm not exactly a cargo bike fan, but the Yuba Kombi looks like it'll work for me until I drop enough weight to get back on my Specialized that I bought nearly 200 lbs ago. gently caress...don't let yourselves go. It's so easy to slip into and really loving hard to get back out.

$1000 is right at the top of my budget currently, so the Kombi looks like the winner here.

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm not quite as big as you (5'10") but earlier this year I was about 310 and have been 285+ for like 8 years now. I ride a Giant TCX cross bike with 700x32s on the road and have had it also for about 8 years. I've put it through a fair bit between gravel and road riding (I've got two wheelsets to easily swap road/gravel) totaling 4,352.2 mi and aside from pretty routine maintenance I haven't had any issues. I can't find an exact weight limit for the newer Revolt gravel bike from Giant but most road/gravel/cross bikes seem to be an official limit of ~260-280lbs give or take - in aluminum anyway. Sample size of one but I have definitely exceeded that for quite some time.

The other consideration is that potentially something more upright vs a true road bike may be more comfortable anyway until you shed some weight. My gut makes aero positions difficult for more than a minute or three and I usually am up on the hoods most of my ride.

No drops and it's a fair bit pricier than entry-mid level road bikes but rated for 550lbs https://zizebikes.com/product/the-yonder-bike/. Stock tires aren't exactly road tires but you could probably find something slicker and narrower that fits, depending on rim size. The more I look at it the more it just seems like a fat bike, though.

I definitely feel for you though. Cycling poo poo is largely designed with a sub-6ft 140lb dude in mind and trying to find kit and bikes and poo poo for someone 275lbs+ is a pain in the rear end. You're right though, it's the only serious cardio aside from ellipticals I can do without destroying my joints and it's hard to find the right gear sometimes. If you haven't come across them, Aero Tech Designs makes a lot of big and tall specific bibs and jerseys. Word of warning though, some of their stuff is sized all over the place. I ordered a high vis winter jacket from them and the measurements indicated something silly like 5x was what I needed but it's giant on me, kind of as I expected. It was on clearance for like $15 so maybe that was the reason. https://aerotechdesigns.com/

That Giant looks great but is so far out of my price range. I also appreciate the link to aerotech designs. I'll definitely be getting something from them at some point.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Angryhead posted:

Real nice and sunny a hour and a half later though.

Do you live somewhere that gets raided frequently by Vikings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oldstench posted:

$1000 is right at the top of my budget currently, so the Kombi looks like the winner here.

That Giant looks great but is so far out of my price range. I also appreciate the link to aerotech designs. I'll definitely be getting something from them at some point.

The Revolt is about $1300 msrp in their lower trim, so a bit out of that $1k range but there will probably be some sales soon and a glut of used bikes out there as people get bored with their covid-fueled activities. Just something to consider but if it's a $1k hard cap then I get it.