Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Theatrically released film from the second half of the ‘90s, genre might have been crime or thriller. There’s a car explosion, but the guy inside the car expands with the explosion, or maybe his expansion causes the explosion. His expansion is like the guy towards the end of Big Trouble in Little China, but it wasn’t presented in a comedic way, from what I remember of the half-minute I saw from sticking my head in while theater-hopping as a kid.
not specifically remembering the car thing, but the effects in that Big Trouble in Little China scene kinda remind me of the extremely bad Double Dragon movie from 1994. Could it have been this guy?

there is a fair amount of car stuff in the movie but hell if I'm gonna go back and watch it again. I think I somehow liked it when I was a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nah, the guy swelling up and exploding took place over maybe ten seconds at the very most. It was framed like a mob hit carbombing, or something similar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Darthemed posted:

Nah, the guy swelling up and exploding took place over maybe ten seconds at the very most. It was framed like a mob hit carbombing, or something similar.

If no one can think of a match and you have a lot of spare time, IMDB does have a list of 800+ movies that feature carbombs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are you positive about the car? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ter7pAZF_nY

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That's my favorite Bond film, but it's the wrong decade.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Live Wire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmDO6a4YFE
there's an opening where a restaurant gets blown up

there's a clown that blows up

there's no car bomb though

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Too early in the decade, would have been ‘95 at the very earliest.

Gonna have to watch Live Wire now, though, that looks bonkers.

E: the people swelling before they explode really makes it feel like it’s on the right track, though. There’s no scene with someone exploding inside a car?

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 11, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

okay so there is a limo with a security detail that explodes I think. I don't remember if the guy inside gets expanded (corrupt politician who gets dbl crossed bad guy terrorist iirc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0E-HlVskU8

French trailer also Pierce sucking some titties so :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ft...ature=emb_title

EXPLOSION IMMéDIATE

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 11, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
After checking out the limo scene (thanks!), I don't think that's it. I remember it as being maybe just the one exploding guy in the car, with more held focus on him, not cutting away to anyone else as he was going through the exploding process. Live Wire has definitely come the closest, though, so if I can't find another match, I'm gonna have to conclude that I was somehow theater-hopping at the age of 3 and managed to catch it and form a (mostly) lasting memory from it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Trying to identify a movie watched in approximately 1992 or so.

There was a disembodied head, it could move around. A scene of the head rolling into a room. It was a man’s head… maybe bald. Mushy/gross, maybe a little overweight looking.

I can’t remember if it talked or not.

I get the impression it was the primary villain.

I can’t say for sure it wasn’t a TV show but I believe it was a movie.

It was not reanimator, Alien, Total Recall, Return to Oz, Evil Dead 2, or Critters :)

Thank you!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Chinook posted:

Trying to identify a movie watched in approximately 1992 or so.

There was a disembodied head, it could move around. A scene of the head rolling into a room. It was a man’s head… maybe bald. Mushy/gross, maybe a little overweight looking.

I can’t remember if it talked or not.

I get the impression it was the primary villain.

I can’t say for sure it wasn’t a TV show but I believe it was a movie.

It was not reanimator, Alien, Total Recall, Return to Oz, Evil Dead 2, or Critters :)

Thank you!

are you thinking of The Thing? One of the guys' head pops off his body, then pulls itself across the floor with a tentacle before sprouting legs. Definitely fits the mushy/gross/overweight description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKH8VjR6muA&t=106s

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

gey muckle mowser posted:

are you thinking of The Thing? One of the guys' head pops off his body, then pulls itself across the floor with a tentacle before sprouting legs. Definitely fits the mushy/gross/overweight description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKH8VjR6muA&t=106s

No, but thank you for the idea.

I think there’s a small chance that the “character” may have been referred to or NAMED “Head” in the movie. This could be wrong, though :)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Head of the Family?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

By the by, what is that totally Lifetime movie with that brunette with the kinda worried eyes in which there's a scene where she leaves her son/daughter (abt 5 years old) in a playground somewhere and then the CPS comes to pick up the kid. It's like she's too poor or something and she has to do it and it's a total tear jerker when you're 10 years old (maybe still, probably).

This post is from 2007 but the movie is God Bless the Child.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

morestuff posted:

Head of the Family?

Great suggestion. I don’t remember him being in a wheelchair or the little arms, but perhaps…? I remember it rolling into a room and talking. But the mushy head seems right.

Open to more suggestions but I will look at this one more closely.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That sounds like it could be Belial from Basket Case

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

rodbeard posted:

That sounds like it could be Belial from Basket Case

That is definitely something I’ve stumbled upon and considered. I’m going to watch these and see. Thank you!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Action Jacktion posted:

This post is from 2007 but the movie is God Bless the Child.

I strongly approve of people going back and answering decades old unanswered questions. go with god

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

ravenkult posted:

Could it be 1966s Blow-up?

That doesn't sound like it at all, but he's gonna watch it anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i guarantee that's not blowup

the only foreign place someone goes to is Paris

and they don't actually go to Paris

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

A movie with a scene where this guy with a New York accent is intensely describing the clothes he’s wearing like “SHIRT: ITALIAN, $60. SHOES: ENGLISH, BENCH MADE, $150”. It seemed like it was from the mid to late 20th century, this scene was pretty funny and I wish I could find it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thief?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uV5XvUNcW0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what from
https://packaged-media.redd.it/4i4d...bd26eb6dd2d#t=0

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A film where a guy constructed a gun made out of wood in order to sneak it through customs and hijack a plane. I saw this in the 90s on UK TV.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Chinook posted:

There was a disembodied head

Unlikely but could this be Asylum (1972)? The first story has a man murder his wife and chop her body up into pieces. He's then haunted when the body parts come to life and the head rolls into the room.

Also, Return of the Living Dead has a scene where a bald male zombie is decapitated and the head carries on living, but this thing doesn't talk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A film where a guy constructed a gun made out of wood in order to sneak it through customs and hijack a plane. I saw this in the 90s on UK TV.

Are you thinking of In the Line of Fire?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Timby posted:

Are you thinking of In the Line of Fire?

It's this, thanks. Although I can't see any plane hijack in the synopsis, I must have just presumed because John Malkovich uses the gun to sneak past metal detectors.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I saw this movie in maybe 1999 on Australian TV (SBS -- the more "cultured" channel where they would show weird foreign movies).

Pretty sure it was Japanese but could also be Chinese. It was an erotic horror movie (I was like 10 years old and my parents turned it off pretty quickly). Judging by the style, I think it would have been made in the 70s or 80s. The film was set in feudal Japan and the main characters/villains were a gang of evil witches or fox demons who would go around seducing and murdering men. There's just one scene I remember in detail. The fox women lure a bunch of soldiers into the forest and seduce them. As this guy is having sex with the spirit woman, there's a matched cut and now he's loving a rotting corpse dripping with maggots and pus. I think then there's a whole sequence with him running around with the corpse's arms locked around him, but I might have confabulated that part.

Anyway I swear this movie didn't have any effect on my emerging sexuality or whatever. I just want to see it again because it was awesome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sailor Viy posted:

I saw this movie in maybe 1999 on Australian TV (SBS -- the more "cultured" channel where they would show weird foreign movies).

Pretty sure it was Japanese but could also be Chinese. It was an erotic horror movie (I was like 10 years old and my parents turned it off pretty quickly). Judging by the style, I think it would have been made in the 70s or 80s. The film was set in feudal Japan and the main characters/villains were a gang of evil witches or fox demons who would go around seducing and murdering men. There's just one scene I remember in detail. The fox women lure a bunch of soldiers into the forest and seduce them. As this guy is having sex with the spirit woman, there's a matched cut and now he's loving a rotting corpse dripping with maggots and pus. I think then there's a whole sequence with him running around with the corpse's arms locked around him, but I might have confabulated that part.

Anyway I swear this movie didn't have any effect on my emerging sexuality or whatever. I just want to see it again because it was awesome.

Ran? The only thing I could find on tvtropes but could be way more obscure
something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Igva7MlmKE

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 21, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I also saw it on SBS, it’s Erotic Ghost Story.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

I just want to see it again because it was awesome.

I strongly recommend then that you watch the 1987 A Chinese Ghost Story, because it's a classic that kicked off a wave of imitators, which your film sound like it's one of.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

DRINK ME posted:

I also saw it on SBS, it’s Erotic Ghost Story.

Thank you! I'm 90% sure this is the one.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I strongly recommend then that you watch the 1987 A Chinese Ghost Story, because it's a classic that kicked off a wave of imitators, which your film sound like it's one of.

Cheers, I'll check that one out too.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
There’s also the Des Mangan intro/outro for it here, he used to do these for all the “SBS cult movies”.

Thinking about erotic ghost story has bought up a lot of memories, SBS really did have a lot of softcore back then - when they earned the Sex Before Soccer / Sex Before Scenery name. The Weatherwoman was another one they had that all us teen boys watched in small bursts if they could get time alone with the tv.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
This has been tickling my brain for thirty-five years so now it's time to exorcise it.

A movie from probably the 80s (now-me would say it was a shlockier sort of Porky's-type) that had a scene (scenes?) where a woman would meditate nude with some men, and if she caught them staring at her breasts, she'd break one of their limbs. She also might have had weirdly-shaped breasts, kind of like bell-shaped?, or ten-year-old me didn't actually know what breasts looked like then. I know what they look like now, thank you. This is literally the only thing I remember about a movie that was on a screen at my cousin's place.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deathlove posted:

This has been tickling my brain for thirty-five years so now it's time to exorcise it.

A movie from probably the 80s (now-me would say it was a shlockier sort of Porky's-type) that had a scene (scenes?) where a woman would meditate nude with some men, and if she caught them staring at her breasts, she'd break one of their limbs. She also might have had weirdly-shaped breasts, kind of like bell-shaped?, or ten-year-old me didn't actually know what breasts looked like then. I know what they look like now, thank you. This is literally the only thing I remember about a movie that was on a screen at my cousin's place.

Private Resort (1985) has scenes like that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fever dream of a movie: sci Fi, almost certainly from the 80s, I think it took place at least partly on a colonized moon or other planet. There was a male and female lead and one of them was a cop or something, and their boss was a 40 year old person in like a 9 year old body? And the boss snuck into the cop's apartment to watch them having sex?

E: I think the female lead was a robot

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 5, 2023

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Private Resort (1985) has scenes like that.

me, 36 minutes into this movie: holy poo poo, this is it. this is the end. my brain can rest.

me, finishing this movie: i would like to forget this movie ever existed. thank you.

may god bless you and yours.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Fever dream of a movie: sci Fi, almost certainly from the 80s, I think it took place at least partly on a colonized moon or other planet. There was a male and female lead and one of them was a cop or something, and their boss was a 40 year old person in like a 9 year old body? And the boss snuck into the cop's apartment to watch them having sex?

E: I think the female lead was a robot

The rest doesn't fit, but Trancers is about time travel by possessing the body of one of your ancestors. The main character is a cop, and at one point, his boss comes debrief him in the body of a young girl. There's some future Earth scenes that you could misremember as another planet. The female lead is a young Helen Hunt.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

The rest doesn't fit, but Trancers is about time travel by possessing the body of one of your ancestors. The main character is a cop, and at one point, his boss comes debrief him in the body of a young girl. There's some future Earth scenes that you could misremember as another planet. The female lead is a young Helen Hunt.

It's definitely Trancers, the opening scene at the 'gas station / diner' is supposed to be on a colony not on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deathlove posted:

me, 36 minutes into this movie: holy poo poo, this is it. this is the end. my brain can rest.

me, finishing this movie: i would like to forget this movie ever existed. thank you.

may god bless you and yours.

:hfive: