Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HaitianDivorce posted:

It's insane whenever I think about it, but we will never get another Star Wars again--not in the narrow "Disney bad/Lucas good" sense, but in the "no studio studio is ever going to give anyone that much of a budget to do something so weird and unheard of." Everything is going to be algorithmically-generated copies of copies until the sea swallows LA

Avatar 2 came out this year . Like three more are coming !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The ad campaign for phantom menace was something else though. I think that buildup had a lot to do with people's disappointments, one way or the other. I can't blame them, the Pepsi drinking buffoon was nowhere to be seen in the end product.

A kid I knew had all the Pepsi cans. He had them all!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FunkyAl posted:

The ad campaign for phantom menace was something else though. I think that buildup had a lot to do with people's disappointments, one way or the other. I can't blame them, the Pepsi drinking buffoon was nowhere to be seen in the end product.

My family did the same thing with the Doritos Star Wars Special Edition "hologram" discs. We still have them, not so much for the collection or the value but for the memories of running into random gas stations and buying a "Big Grab" Doritos bag to see what we got.

Good times, would do it again.

But not for the poo gas Disney Star Wars movies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FunkyAl posted:

Yeah to be fair to TPM no movie couldn’t be “disappointing” with that ad campaign. No movie before or since has ever or will ever again get that kind of build up. Or the hype itself be culturally universal since Y2K was basically the last time American culture wasn’t overly splintered. That movie was going to cure cancer, make your parents respect you, and remove your religious doubts. The film could have injected every drug known to man directly into your brain and still not lived up to the expectation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FunkyAl posted:

I recorded The Phantom Menace trailer when they advertised it was going to air during some news segment, and I ended up breaking my family VCR from rewinding and rewatching the Obi-Wan and Darth Maul duel part of the trailer over and over lmao.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

They're just saving him. Marfalump canonically lives on Earth, so he can finally appear now that Ahsoka is going to visit a galaxy far, far away...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Episode I would have had to be a massive turd to not make an enormous pile of money, so that's not indicative of much.

IIRC the general opinion of Ep III was indeed 'its finally Star Wars again'. But by that point box office was way down anyway.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

teagone posted:

I recorded The Phantom Menace trailer when they advertised it was going to air during some news segment, and I ended up breaking my family VCR from rewinding and rewatching the Obi-Wan and Darth Maul duel part of the trailer over and over lmao.

I taped the revenge of the sith preview. It came on after the oc.

The revenge of the sith was pretty hyped up too, I remember Darth Vader and general grievous everywhere. Darth Vader balloons on Burger King, evil Darth Vader m&Ms...Yoda stealing diet Pepsi...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s not very complicated; the plot doesn’t make sense if the order is placed by a fake made-up Jedi, because everyone would immediately know that something is amiss.

Sifo being a real Jedi who was acting as a liaison for the space-CIA makes perfect sense, because that’s precisely what the Order uncovers in their investigation. “Oh, these weird clones were just a secret CIA project. It sucks that the Republic Intelligence is stepping on our jurisdiction, but I’m glad they’re on our team!”

The only issue is that the exposition makes it sound like things are much more complicated than they actually are. It would be more streamlined to just say the clones were directly ordered by Republic Intelligence - but Lucas seemingly wanted to underline the Jedi’s long history of complicity.

I don't think you need to invent a space-CIA to be behind the plot. The Jedi are already the space-CIA; it's perfectly reasonable for one of them to be running his own op.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stealing the identity of a real and conveniently dead Jedi in order to execute the purchase of the army means that there are a lot of ways Sheev can play it if some other Jedi, like, say, Obi-Wan Kenobi, starts pulling at the threads of the conspiracy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think you need to invent a space-CIA to be behind the plot. The Jedi are already the space-CIA; it's perfectly reasonable for one of them to be running his own op.

Approve Sifo-Dyas’s clone purchase, we did not. Deny all knowledge of it, we do. That it benefits Republic corporate interests, a coincidence is. Greater oversight and accountability over Jedi business, we veto.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

HaitianDivorce posted:

Right. Call me when someone's broken the mold again, not just gotten the chance to put their own spin on the mold that's been in use for 45+ years.

I mean, everything is kind of a riff on something else. Star Wars was a riff on other stuff when it came out, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t hate the prequels but I don’t like them. Much prefer TFA and TLJ.

Rots is fun tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The phantom menace commercials should have been Lucas saying “I am not going to make the same movies again “ for 30 seconds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s fine honestly I loved them as a kid but they just don’t work for me. Has nothing to do with how close they are to whatever. I just don’t vibe with the style he’s throwing down. But I’m way over being mad or any negative emotion with them. I just don’t watch them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Tpm is mysteriously slow. It just plods. Rots is pretty modern in speed I think

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rots I enjoy because straight up palpatine is my favorite character in all of Star Wars. And I think the score is the absolute best in the whole franchise. But that could be nostalgia. The prequels are very nostalgic for me

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

Yeah Tpm is mysteriously slow. It just plods. Rots is pretty modern in speed I think

Lucas talked about pacing in one of the director commentaries, and said that the pacing of A New Hope is actually pretty slow as well, but because it was such a new universe, people were using the downtime to look at all the details and trying to absorb the new world they were being presented with, and critics complained that the movie moved too quickly. The Phantom Menace probably actually moves at about the same speed as the original movie, but because the audience is already familiar with the world being presented, it feels slower.

Revenge of the Sith is definitely quicker though. That's the result of Lucas not really planning the trilogy out from the start and suddenly finding himself having to have everything happen in one movie. The stuff aboard the Separatist cruiser was about an hour long in early cuts, because when Lucas was writing the script he just kept making the first act longer, in order to delay having to actually deal with all the plot stuff he was having trouble with.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My favorite scene in the prequel trilogy is easily the podrace - it’s a master class in sound design with every pod sounding different, the designs of the pods are all unique and interesting to look at, it’s got a bunch of gnarly crashes, the way it conveys a sense of speed is incredible, I just love it.

It also spawned the Episode 1 Racer videogame, which is fun as hell.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
seismic charges.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like RotS being very fast moving kinda helps it, it's the climax of a long and brutal war where so much poo poo is finally coming to a head.

Also I can picture Sidious specifically picking a Jedi whose name sounds like his Darth name just because it makes him chuckle.

Bongo Bill posted:

Stealing the identity of a real and conveniently dead Jedi in order to execute the purchase of the army means that there are a lot of ways Sheev can play it if some other Jedi, like, say, Obi-Wan Kenobi, starts pulling at the threads of the conspiracy.

There is apparently a bit in the Clone Wars where they've pretty much figured out nearly all of what went down, and realise that at that point it there's nothing that knowledge can meaningfully change.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is apparently a bit in the Clone Wars where they've pretty much figured out nearly all of what went down, and realise that at that point it there's nothing that knowledge can meaningfully change.

Season 6 (which was at one point the end of the show and the last thing set before RotS) is all foreshadowing and dramatic irony. Order 66 comes within a whisker of being revealed, Palpatine's plans to take control of Separatist assets beings, the Jedi learn that the Sith were involved with the creation of the Clones (though lots of questions remain) and the existence of Dooku's master is revealed.

Also Jar Jar and Mace kill Maul's mother.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 11, 2023

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I guess I am one of the few people who like ROTS the least of the prequels. I was a hardcore fanboy when it came out and I was incredibly stoked going to see it in a cinema for the first time, but I felt there was something off about it from the beginning. The entire sequence on the Grievous ship is oddly cartoony. The droids speak with different voices and there's a huge ammount of slapstick and fake looking CGI. This sequence is probably my least favorite in the prequels. The movie gets better afterwards but I always felt there was something missing. Anakin's turn feels rushed - mainly the point when he bends the knee to Sheev and immediatelly goes to kill children - and Yoda's and Obi-Wan's absence from Coruscant is forced. There's nothing interesting about their CGI adventures on Kashyyk and Utapau (with the exception of Obi-Wan being an arrogant shithead), the plot just requires their absence from Coruscant.

I've always liked TPM and grew to appreciate AOTC, but ROTS still doesn't work for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rots is insane in it’s tonal changes. I caught that as a kid too. I get why but it’s pretty nuts.

Grevious and his fight is pretty awful. It would be like if darth mail immediately got his saber cut in half. Just clip the gimmick way too quick

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Jesus posted:

Anakin's turn feels rushed - mainly the point when he bends the knee to Sheev and immediatelly goes to kill children

This is kind of a strange event in that it both is and isn’t rushed. In RotS by itself it definitely feels rushed, as Anakin starts the movie being portrayed in a heroic light, if tempted and tormented and full of regret, to boom child murder. But in the trilogy as a whole this isn’t true at all, Anakin is no stranger to child murder. He graduated top of his class at Tusken State University.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Turn out that, more than the men and the women, it was the children part he enjoyed the most.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

galagazombie posted:

This is kind of a strange event in that it both is and isn’t rushed. In RotS by itself it definitely feels rushed, as Anakin starts the movie being portrayed in a heroic light, if tempted and tormented and full of regret, to boom child murder. But in the trilogy as a whole this isn’t true at all, Anakin is no stranger to child murder. He graduated top of his class at Tusken State University.

Alright, that's a fair point. The films don't really work with the Tusken mass murder much, so I also tend to forget about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The podrace is way too long.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

:mods:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

The podrace would be infinitely better if it were 45 minutes long, at a minimum. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Isn't the podrace longer in the home release than in the original theatrical version?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The versions released after the VHS added in some scenes that were cut from the theatrical version, yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

As a kid i would always skip tattooine. Just draaaaaggggeeedd. Get back to darth maul

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
But Tatooine has like 2/3rds of all the Maul action!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s at the tail end, so I usually caught it lmao. Then fast forward until the final battle(s)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tattooine is where all the good stuff is. The Naboo stuff drags.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah??? Well for every time one of you assholes doesn’t watch the podrace, I’m going to watch it *twice*. <:mad:>

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

It was Gen X specifically that hated TPM on release and were its most vitriolic opponents. Over time they were the ones who controlled the conversation and “popular consensus” since at that point in time they were the most online demographic and thus ran all the web forums and such. You can definitely see the turnaround on prequel opinions being more about younger groups getting online and pushing GenX out than some great cultural epiphany.

Ehhh. Gen X generally liked TPM on release. The reaction was basically "there were a lot of issues but it ended with the best lightsaber fight ever." It was the older Mills that turned on it online really hard after the fact, and that was gradual. AOTC not course correcting for criticisms and actually being worse, combined with the LOTR movies being a direct counter point on doing a fantasy movie simultaneously was the larger issue.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The lesson is: when doing a sequel, always listen to the fans' complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

YaketySass posted:

The lesson is: when doing a sequel, always listen to the fans' complaints.

Listen to them too much and you get the ST, though