Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

He had to take it easy with the fighting people cause of a heart condition introduced during the Cell saga.

He had to pay afterlife taxes tho.

The HELL IRS.

Good to see those nice boys graduated from the Home For Infinite Losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zero_Grade posted:

Wait, why is Goku operating a tractor?

e: It appears he now works on a farm instead of punching bad guys. I don't think I understand DBZ Super.
Because while he is personal friends with the richest drat family in the world (Bulma's family) and other rich people like Mr Satan his Wife wants him to be a good example for his kids and work hard for their living/money.
So during the peace after Z Goku gives it an honest enough shot, until new fightmans adventures show up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus his kid married Mr Satan's kid, so it's not like he can exactly fail. It's like being best friends with tony stark and your kid married into tchalla's family.

Once poo poo gets punchy and villains roll back up to get beaten, he's back training and all that, but with no one to beat on, he's basically gotta just do something. I guess the z team all got together and realized the best place to stick him was in a field far away from anything else and have him play with the dirt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of Super is the inbetween fight stuff where it remembers that Dragon Ball is supposed to be goofy. So you have scenes like Goku Kool-Aid Manning through a wall when he finds out Vegeta has been training or Goku pretending to be knocked away but having to come back because he forgot his tractor.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Mr. Satan a bad guy?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why is is called Race to Witch Mountain if the kids are aliens?

They should have called it Race to Alien Mountain.

The cover art also makes it look more like a mesa than a mountain...so maybe Race to Alien Mesa?

Maybe the witches are cool and let the aliens use their mountain sometimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Mr. Satan a bad guy?

He's just a normal karate dude who became famous in the time when Goku and his friends were doing other stuff and didn't participate in martial arts tournaments. He's got a flair for the dramatic and is a shameless self promoter but he's pretty much a good person.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Starting out, he's a self-centered rear end in a top hat, but the whole Buu saga kinda got him to stop, and then his daughter dates/marries the strongest person on the planet and, well, time to move into Humble City, and stay on the good side of your son-in-laws dad who died to save your rear end, and then came back.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The other thing is that since the Z guys ran off before the smoke cleared after they beat Cell, Mr. Satan was the only one left for anyone to find. Being a relentless self-promoter, he took sole credit for beating Cell, winning the tournament, and saving the world, then rode the hype to colossal fame and fortune.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Mr. Satan is basically a Hulk Hogan palette swap.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Am I thinking of Dr. Satan?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Am I thinking of Dr. Satan?

That's the guy from Rob Zombi's House of 1000 Corpses. He is... more evilthan Mr. Satan.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I absolutely love the Fast and Furious series, deeply and fully.

Watching 7 again.

You've just driven a car from one tower to another tower through another tower while escaping the implacable Jason Statham. Why are you talking instead of hitting the elevators!? Or the stairs, since clearly Jason Statham can handle elevators!? Go! What are you doing!?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Grendels Dad posted:

That's the guy from Rob Zombi's House of 1000 Corpses. He is... more evilthan Mr. Satan.

evil medical school will do that to you, i suppose

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

This isn't really irrationally irritating but it struck me as kinda weird, although not necessarily in a bad way.

Netflix One Piece: finished the season just now and let me first say I actually kinda really like it. I haven't watched the anime so I went in totally blind with the kids and it grew on me enough that I'm hoping it'll get a second season (and beyond) because it's just a lot of fun.

It's unabashedly, goofy fun and Luffy's relentless positivity grew on me, as did the other characters. Especially clown guy was a blast and the actor nailed the physicality of that character.

But it has this weird tonal change. First episode is super goody fun I'd let an 8 year old watch. Second episode kinda creepy with the circus stuff but still fine. All the fights are cartoony with literally no blood when someone is cut down by a sword and stuff.

Then halfway through you start hearing them say poo poo, calling others shitbag, stuff like that. Which I'm totally cool with, by the way, even in a kids show because I believe you can explain to kids there's such a thing as adult language and there's a time and place for that kind of stuff when you're older.

But then the last couple of episodes they start saying loving this and that, there's bloodspray all over the place during the fights and they get into some seriously heavy themes and scenes.

Which is fine, but I don't know. Like I said, it's not necessarily bad, in fact I kinda like the ramp up to more adult stuff and the contrast between the goofy stuff and the serious poo poo.

It's just not what the first couple of episodes promised, and that feels kind of weird? But maybe in a good way?

Idk, but overall I really enjoyed watching it, solid 7 or 8 out of 10 and I'm for sure watching the next season if Netflix doesn't cancel it, although I'm sure that if you're familiar with the anime there's plenty to hate too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My girlfriend's 70-year-old parents are watching and enjoying it. Not sure what that says about its quality.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Marcade posted:

Great, Mr. Satan has armed IRS agents now, just like Tucker Carlson warned us all about.

Mr. Satan is not in any way affiliated with hell or its IRS. The name is a coincidence and unrelated.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Took me way too many posts to figure out if you guys were being serious about the Mr. Satan stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a while in America they called him "Hercule" instead.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist even though he wasn't actually trying to do that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Keromaru5 posted:

The other thing is that since the Z guys ran off before the smoke cleared after they beat Cell, Mr. Satan was the only one left for anyone to find. Being a relentless self-promoter, he took sole credit for beating Cell, winning the tournament, and saving the world, then rode the hype to colossal fame and fortune.
He is also genuinely very strong for a normal human, like he borders on legit superhuman strenght.
It's just that the big players in the setting have moved into rivaling gods by that point.

muscles like this! posted:

For a while in America they called him "Hercule" instead.
Mark "Hercule" Satan :colbert:

Anyway the creator of dragonball loves him some puns and jokes in his names. Like the entire race of the Saiyans being named after Vegetables, The Briefs family all being undergarments. Mr Satan's name is part of the setup to probably his best multiple pun name:

Goku has a son named Gohan (Rice / Meal)
Gohan was partially raised by Picollo Jr (His father/pre-reincarnation was known as the Demon King, also an instrument)
Gohan dates and marries the daughter of Mr Satan: Videl (Devil)
Their daughter is named Pan: Loanword for Bread, A Satyr from greek myth with imagery alike the Christian Devil, and a flute

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
To sum it up, manga/anime references to whatever are a clusterfuck.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Insert Miyazak "anime was a mistake" quote

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taeke posted:

This isn't really irrationally irritating but it struck me as kinda weird, although not necessarily in a bad way.

Netflix One Piece: finished the season just now and let me first say I actually kinda really like it. I haven't watched the anime so I went in totally blind with the kids and it grew on me enough that I'm hoping it'll get a second season (and beyond) because it's just a lot of fun.

It's unabashedly, goofy fun and Luffy's relentless positivity grew on me, as did the other characters. Especially clown guy was a blast and the actor nailed the physicality of that character.

But it has this weird tonal change. First episode is super goody fun I'd let an 8 year old watch. Second episode kinda creepy with the circus stuff but still fine. All the fights are cartoony with literally no blood when someone is cut down by a sword and stuff.

Then halfway through you start hearing them say poo poo, calling others shitbag, stuff like that. Which I'm totally cool with, by the way, even in a kids show because I believe you can explain to kids there's such a thing as adult language and there's a time and place for that kind of stuff when you're older.

But then the last couple of episodes they start saying loving this and that, there's bloodspray all over the place during the fights and they get into some seriously heavy themes and scenes.

Which is fine, but I don't know. Like I said, it's not necessarily bad, in fact I kinda like the ramp up to more adult stuff and the contrast between the goofy stuff and the serious poo poo.

It's just not what the first couple of episodes promised, and that feels kind of weird? But maybe in a good way?

Idk, but overall I really enjoyed watching it, solid 7 or 8 out of 10 and I'm for sure watching the next season if Netflix doesn't cancel it, although I'm sure that if you're familiar with the anime there's plenty to hate too.

I thought pretty much the same when I was watching. The beginning seems very disjointed from the end, almost two different halves of shows, but as you go along it becomes more coherent and in the end I’d say it becomes one piece.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
:frogout:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

Gohan was partially raised by Picollo Jr (His father/pre-reincarnation was known as the Demon King, also an instrument)
Their daughter is named Pan: Loanword for Bread, A Satyr from greek myth with imagery alike the Christian Devil, and a flute

Oh God I never realized Videl's name was an anagram for Devil. Yeah, that all makes sense now.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 88: Naruto actively refuses to use friendship to fight the guy who really hates friendship.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Zedd posted:

Anyway the creator of dragonball loves him some puns and jokes in his names. Like the entire race of the Saiyans being named after Vegetables, The Briefs family all being undergarments. Mr Satan's name is part of the setup to probably his best multiple pun name:

Always useful to remember that Dragon Ball has only ever been a goofy adventure series for Japanese preteens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That stuff happens all the time in manga and it is adorable. Jojo's is the poster child including the hilarious renames during localization. They're not all Ash Ketchum though, sometimes the meaning isn't obvious to American readers/viewers.

Monogatari also has a bunch: for example, the girl with the big backpack Mayoi is meant to resemble a snail. Her story is that she is dead and unable to move on to the spirit world because she can't find her way home, and so she is called a 'lost cow', because in Japanese 'cow' shares kanji with the word 'snail'.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nameless Pete posted:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist even though he wasn't actually trying to do that.

it's not a very good trick imho

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

quote:

Mr Satan
I never watched it but had a coworker that would always talk about it, and I remember them saying that the joke of the name was the he was the only major American character. Is that true, because I always found that funny?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is true, he's called "Mr Satan" because it's his wrestling promo name. He was modeled after pro wrestlers who are all talk. His real name, also a wrasslin reference due to getting chumped all the time, is Mark.

He comes into the story wearing a big championship belt and then gets immediately chumped by the real main characters because he can't use chi arts. It's kind of endearing when he realizes why he lost the tournament he appears in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJsbS_9acc

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love the bit where he's in the fight with 18 and they agree that he'll hit her as hard as he can, and she'll throw the match to allow him to save face. When the punch connects, she just stands there and is like

Android 18: "Is that really the best you have?"
Mr Satan, distraught: "Mmmhmmm :("
Android 18: "OK, fair enough." Launches herself out of the arena, leaving Mr Satan to scramble and invent a story about his new "delayed reaction punch"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dragonball Super references that moment including Android 18's self-propelled flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0Zt-6oPaM

It's honestly kinda spectacular.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Sep 10, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

CJacobs posted:

Dragonball Super references that moment including Android 18's self-propelled flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0Zt-6oPaM

It's honestly kinda spectacular.

That's fantastic. Like wrestling, the bits between the fights are the best bits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Agreed. I also like the detail that the responsible adults are carrying like 4 entire backpacks of groceries because they're supermen who can just do that

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Sep 10, 2023

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My dude is named after the great deceiver, yet is probably the greatest. Therefore if he is not the greatest deceiver, then there is one whose greatest trick was fooling us into believe didn't exist... :psyduck:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My dude is named after the great deceiver, yet is probably the greatest. Therefore if he is not the greatest deceiver, then there is one whose greatest trick was fooling us into believe didn't exist... :psyduck:

Goodnight SATANMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don’t know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden The Will of Fire:

Sakura could really benefit from anger management courses.

You're not going to kill Naruto, he is the main character of this world.

Why would you misunderstand that Kakashi and Naruto are dating; Kakashi is more than twice as old as Naruto, it would be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In the first X-Men movie, Prof. X says he can't look for Magneto because he helped him build Cerebro and (as we find out) his helmet blocks it (and all of Xavier's mind reading/control.)

I'm also willing to accept that Magneto's hideout uses the same material as his helmet, so Xavier also can't just look for Mystique, Sabertooth, or Toad while they're there.

But...there's nothing stopping him from looking for any of those three when they AREN'T at the hideout, then tracking them, and seeing where they stop being tracked. Voila, hideout found.

There's also the scene where they kidnap Rogue and as they're carrying her away, Xavier does mind control Sabertooth and Toad to get Magneto to stop, but then Magneto aims all the guns at the cops so Xavier lets them go.

In the time Xavier was in control of the other two goons, why didn't he just have Sabertooth kniock Magneto's helmet off? Or make Toad use his gross tongue to remove it? Then he could just mind control Magneto.