Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

cr0y posted:

I'm not crying you're crying

*Pops out of sewer wearing ushanka, visibly eating garbage* ACKSHULLY the videos are all reversed that's actually proud RUSSIAN civilians rewarding the ukrainian troops for LEAVING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1701184339197767690?s=20

Oh, Himars.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think International Realism is telling me that this means Russia will be forced to invade Poland next

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

486 is a whole lot, isn't Ukraine still accomplishing plenty with just a few dozen systems + some tracked equivalents?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

poor waif posted:

486 is a whole lot, isn't Ukraine still accomplishing plenty with just a few dozen systems + some tracked equivalents?

Yes I'd say it's even too many lol. Considering how quickly you can reload them, I'd get half of that number or fewer and more missiles instead.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

poor waif posted:

its a pretty crazy amount, gmlrs rockets are like 500k for exports so acquiring the ammo for 486 launchers will be incredibly costly

maybe they will produce the rockets themselves, still immensely expensive to sustain that many himars

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Is it Poland going "don't even think about it you dipshits" or is there something more complicated going on ?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

rowkey bilbao posted:

Is it Poland going "don't even think about it you dipshits" or is there something more complicated going on ?

How many get donated/leased to Ukraine? :ukraine:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Possibly Poland is planning to hand some of those over to Ukraine?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They needed enough to completely wipe Kaliningrad off the map.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

rowkey bilbao posted:

Its election year and our ruling party is running on a platform of nationalism and xenophobia

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
poland also recently did this

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1699085718390210845

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There may also be some favor-currying involved, if e.g. Poland is trying to get some other favor out of the US and a hint was dropped that some juicy MIC orders might help grease the wheels.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poor waif posted:

I'm waiting for the 586

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
486 HIMARS is just a ludicrous amount. It would be overwhelmingly challenging financially to supply that many, and militarily to provide effective targeting for that many. Thats like more than America has. More than the number of Chun Moos South Korea has. If they were buying them to curry US favor they should have bought something else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

I'm waiting for the 586

here you go

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Someone at the HIMARS dealership is bringing home pizza tonight!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
maybe poland is planning to bring enough himars to share with the whole class

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Could be just kickbacks :shrug:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
It’s a big giant “gently caress you” in Polish, to Russia

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

McGavin posted:

They needed enough to completely wipe Kaliningrad off the map.

It's called Królewiec and we're simply ensuring the Teutonic Order doesn't get any ideas

e:

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It’s a big giant “gently caress you” in Polish, to Russia

"chuj ci w dupę" although "chuj wam w dupę" would be more appropriate in this context

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Only ten billion for over four hundred of those things? Dang.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nessus posted:

Only ten billion for over four hundred of those things? Dang.

Probably an extra billion for more than one rocket salvo+all the spare tires

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

..and militarily to provide effective targeting for that many...

You know NATO has satellites right?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tai posted:

You know NATO has satellites right?

yes obviously . . analyzing the data from the satellites and turning it into targeting information for 500 precision launchers (and all the other hundreds of artillery pieces and aircraft you have) is actually a tremendous amount of work you know.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
why not just make the whole country out of himars

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

LordArgh posted:

maybe poland is planning to bring enough himars to share with the whole class

This would make sense. If Russia is stupid enough (they already did the full invasion of Ukraine so they are stupid enough) to attack another country in the area then Poland can hand out dozens of them at the drop of a hat and still have 100s to spare for itself.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

OctaMurk posted:

yes obviously . . analyzing the data from the satellites and turning it into targeting information for 500 precision launchers (and all the other hundreds of artillery pieces and aircraft you have) is actually a tremendous amount of work you know.

Militaries, famously known for only being able to target one thing at a time across all of the services.

I mean, besides Russia.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

why not just make the whole country out of himars

But I was clearly assured Poland was No Country for Old HIMARS

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Disco Pope posted:

Someone at the HIMARS dealership is bringing home pizza tonight!

Old Gil is gonna be eating food tonight!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

rowkey bilbao posted:

They're going to open the first Hertz for HIMARS. Just remember to fill the tank up before you return it, of course.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1701269296364613798?s=20

Another Russian good will gesture.

Burns
May 10, 2008

My guess is they want spare parts and a lump sum like that implies they want lots of spare parts. Im willing to bet they intend to operate maybe a few battalions worth in reality. Ammo is a bigger problem.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"All the Russian peoples; from Finns in the West to Chukchis in the East" or something like that.

“We are his 170 million orphaned cubs. Russian cubs, Georgian cubs, Armenian cubs, Lithuanian cubs...”

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

No it isn't actually. It also wouldn't be 500 as you're never running 100% of your equipment.

I'm not trying to poo poo on you because of your other forum postings but you all so so so badly underestimate the computing power of NATO. See gulf war 2 with AWACS planes running the show and this is tech from 20 years ago and is consider poo poo by todays standards. Search the starting day of it on youtube. This was done via 2 maybe 3 planes. Coording 250 HIMARS is an easy task.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They were able to do it in WW2 with a Piper Cub and a radio, I'm confident Space Force is on the job to let them do it without getting up.

e: I misremember: but the American system of spotting artillery was remarked upon by the Germans regularly. Many stories about how their heroic last-ditch battle to drive back the Amis went so well and the stupid Americans went waddling back as the brave (non political though) Wehrmacht soldiers took a deep breath. For some reason, shortly thereafter they were hit with a heavy artillery bomardment: weird.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fresh_cheese posted:

I kinda would like to see this. Bonus points for working in current nascar and wwe drama that accurately reflects current geopolitical events.

there was nothing about the last post that was accurate unless you already knew what was happening but whatever the kayfabe is for this thread i guess

like i read that dumb post 3 times and somehow every time it got shittier, both in terms of the analogy and in the accuracy of its statements, but the rest of the thread was having fun with it so i held my tongue to just let people have fun. but please, let's leave it in the past.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

rowkey bilbao posted:

Clearly this will create an immediate balance of power issue meant to bankrupt Russia into ordering a countering number of tires from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Glory to Breakfast!

Now available! https://www.zelenskyos.com/