Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do they make a 60”+ riding model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Bad Munki posted:

They exist.
I've got no opinion on them because if you've got a yard that big you should be growing native plants on most of it instead of mowing it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bad Munki posted:

No, but there is a 52"
https://egopowerplus.com/52inch-zero-turn-riding-mower-zt5200l/

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, get an electric mower.

You can get one for like $150 if you pay attention to sales, and running gas lawn equipment is way worse for smog, ozone, and particulates than a truck with 10x the displacement.

Edit: and depending on how big and the shape of your lawn you can get one that runs on an extension cord and it will last forever because there's basically nothing that can break

Corded yard equipment is a safety hazard and a nightmare to work with. I've never seen a cord like that used for more than a season without getting replaced or covered in electrical tape patches. The dewalt mowers with replaceable battery packs that are common to their other equipment are a way better choice for either increased range or long term battery replacements.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

They are the market leaders in this space and once you own one of their products it is obvious why. Extremely well made, you can use and abuse them and they will just start up with a button press the next time. There is basically no maintenance required. Extremely quiet. The batteries are the most expensive part, the $500 combos are basically a $250 battery with a $250 mower.

I'd rather pay a couple hundo extra than ever have to deal with hauling an extension cord around my yard.

The average gas mower isn't seeing anywhere close to that cost in maintenance and that's a crazy high price tag for the average consumer living in inflation land.

I spent $200 on an all wheel drive push mower like 4 years ago and it's seen $10 in an oil change and sharpened the blade.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Leviathan Song posted:

Corded yard equipment is a safety hazard and a nightmare to work with. I've never seen a cord like that used for more than a season without getting replaced or covered in electrical tape patches.

While I agree they're less than ideal and a pain it takes a serious mouthbreather to run a cord over.
I, on the other hand, have boots covered in weed eater scars from my years of care and expertise in lawn care.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, get an electric mower.

You can get one for like $150 if you pay attention to sales, and running gas lawn equipment is way worse for smog, ozone, and particulates than a truck with 10x the displacement.

Edit: and depending on how big and the shape of your lawn you can get one that runs on an extension cord and it will last forever because there's basically nothing that can break

corded mower for life, the torque is unstoppable you'll just plow over saplings that would give a gas bush hog second thoughts

cord management is a non issue if you put half a second's thought into planning ahead, so yeah they're not for everyone

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CommieGIR posted:

The average gas mower isn't seeing anywhere close to that cost in maintenance and that's a crazy high price tag for the average consumer living in inflation land.

I spent $200 on an all wheel drive push mower like 4 years ago and it's seen $10 in an oil change and sharpened the blade.

You did not include the cost of gas.

Sure in a straight up cost comparison, your loud, polluting gas mower is going to win every time. You can certainly buy cheaper battery powered mowers, but you'll get what you pay for with the EGO.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I use a corded mower plugged into a gas generator backpack so I don't have to worry about running over the cord

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My kobalt 40v mower and weedeater combined were like $400 or so, and if the equipment has any issues I just walk into lowes and they swap it for me. It cuts down everything on my 1/4 acre lot just fine, and the gf's little brother mowed an entire acre out at my gf's place with it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I simply don't have a yard :smuggo:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

The Egoplus stuff is super expensive, I'd find a different one. Their base mower starts at like $500.
At least when I was looking a few months ago only EGo and Ryobi really had a full product line, and in a world of proprietary batteries that make up a substantial part of the cost of the unit I think that's a major factor to consider. I don't want to have multiple incompatible sets of batteries and chargers for my yard tools that I have to manage individually, I want to be able to just get a few of the biggest ones they sell and swap them around with whatever tools I need.

I have almost all Ryobi power tools so I expected I'd end up going with their electric yard tool ecosystem but ended up with EGo because I felt their overall product line was stronger even though for now I just have the mower. String trimmer is on the short list though, two-stroke vibration numbing my hand makes it my least favorite yard tool by far.

In a perfect world there would be some sort of either industry or government enforced standard and we could mix/match our electric yard tools with a single spare fuel supply like we can with combustion, but I'm not holding my breath.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought an EGO mower last summer and it completely won me over. I have since added a weed trimmer and chainsaw, and they are great as well.

wolrah posted:

In a perfect world there would be some sort of either industry or government enforced standard and we could mix/match our electric yard tools with a single spare fuel supply like we can with combustion, but I'm not holding my breath.

That would be amazing, but yeah likely will never happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wolrah posted:

At least when I was looking a few months ago only EGo and Ryobi really had a full product line, and in a world of proprietary batteries that make up a substantial part of the cost of the unit I think that's a major factor to consider. I don't want to have multiple incompatible sets of batteries and chargers for my yard tools that I have to manage individually, I want to be able to just get a few of the biggest ones they sell and swap them around with whatever tools I need.

I have almost all Ryobi power tools so I expected I'd end up going with their electric yard tool ecosystem but ended up with EGo because I felt their overall product line was stronger even though for now I just have the mower. String trimmer is on the short list though, two-stroke vibration numbing my hand makes it my least favorite yard tool by far.

Lowes kobalt has everything except riding mowers in their 40v line. GF is a custom gardener/landscape designer and uses the kobalt trimmers and leaf blower. she's got a gas riding mower for her two acres at home, but we use the kobalt weedeater at both spots and the push mower at my place.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJH7QqEn_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQVa48RJ1_E

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On the flip side, my electric pole chain saw, which I love, had one of the springs on the brushes snap which made for bad contact which made for arcing which made for a fried motor and it’s probably going to be almost the entire cost of the tool to fix.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lowes kobalt has everything except riding mowers in their 40v line. GF is a custom gardener/landscape designer and uses the kobalt trimmers and leaf blower. she's got a gas riding mower for her two acres at home, but we use the kobalt weedeater at both spots and the push mower at my place.

Yeah I have Lowest Kobalt stuff and I love it, both an electric weedeater and chainsaw and they do fantastic. The batteries were super cheap too and there's aftermarket ones on Amazon. I think I paid like $175 for both together? I also got their leaf blower and it kicks rear end compared to the Walmart brand one I had previously.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 11, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Roundup Ready posted:

I had a loaner VW id4 recently while my car was in the shop. Only had it a few days, but the interface was snappy, and the phone shelf was a wireless charger. Was honestly pretty impressed. Android Auto btw.

the latest units that have Wireless Carplay integrated at the manufacturer level are OK. Aftermarket head units are hit or miss on good wireless support. Those little USB dongles are tiny android devices telling your phone its a stereo and telling your stereo its a phone, and there isn't enough processing power in there to do it very well/consistently.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I built a gantry over the garden and hang the wire grom it so i van move around the garden without running it over.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I have a couple push mowers I cut my yard with and I also played Lawn Mowing Simulator for probably 2 dozen hours. Hover Bovver is also a dope game.

Cutting grass is just satisfying. Feels (and smells) good, man.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a 1hp push mower :whatup:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I guess technically cow power, but you know

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unperson_47 posted:

I have a couple push mowers I cut my yard with and I also played Lawn Mowing Simulator for probably 2 dozen hours. Hover Bovver is also a dope game.

Cutting grass is just satisfying. Feels (and smells) good, man.
Hank, this is the OSHA thread. You're supposed to be telling us about wiping propane tanks head to feet.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Fools. This is the correct way to cut grass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dumb. posted:

Fools. This is the correct way to cut grass.

Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't with a wonderful OSHA approved message about lawns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYdLfkJcfok

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 11, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't even own a lawn :smugdog:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Sentient Data posted:

I use a corded mower plugged into a gas generator backpack so I don't have to worry about running over the cord

I just cover my yard with charcoal and lighter fluid. Toss a match in the middle and it's Miller time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If you let your yard go to seed eventually the city will come mow it for you. The bill goes straight to your property taxes, too. (Do not do this)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Devor posted:

If you let your yard go to seed eventually the city will come mow it for you. The bill goes straight to your property taxes, too. (Do not do this)

Milwaukee promotes not mowing for an entire month.

https://city.milwaukee.gov/dpw/operations/forestry/No-Mow-May

Of course, you have to contact them and tell them that you aren't going to mow or they ticket you.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
We must not tolerate accidental benefactory.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't even own a lawn :smugdog:

the perks of being a millennial

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Ebola Dog posted:

Water from air conditioners/dehumidifiers is good for watering plants with, especially houseplants as it is basically deionised water so avoids chlorine and salts which can build up and cause issues for some plants, and it just saves water as well.

Late to this but the other two good uses are for steam ironing if you live somewhere with hard water, and for cleaning windows so you don't get streaks left behind.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought an EGO mower last summer and it completely won me over. I have since added a weed trimmer and chainsaw, and they are great as well.

That would be amazing, but yeah likely will never happen.

Ego mower and weed whacker here ! :buddy: I like the ecosystem of tools and they have plenty of power.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I don't have a yard, but my dad lives on an acre of natural land in north Albuquerque. He switched over to a Kobalt weed whacker and push mower, and those things do NUMBERS against desert weeds and keeping any tumbleweed infections down, etc.
He says it was worth it, price-wise, because of the fact that he's mowing on top of what is mostly medium-to-fine granite gravel at the foot of a mountain. I've used them a few times to keep the yard trim when he's gone and found them pretty nice to use compared to gas stuff.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2l4PVJkhzQ

not...really osha, per se. but some lockfuckling many pages back reminded me of this.

60 rounds of 5.56, 40 rounds of .308 armor piercing, and 20 (!) rounds of .50 bmg to destroy the lock.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The Egoplus stuff is super expensive, I'd find a different one. Their base mower starts at like $500.

My work got one 5 years ago, and it's lasted that long of absolute idiot customers abusing it. You buy any other and you're rolling the dice on needing to buy a new one in 2 years.

Also of that 500, 300 of it is the battery.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How'd you know I was about to post :mad:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

my house next right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Looks like there is a Cleveland Steamroller up ahead. Better slow down.