Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Briggs really needs to let someone else take creative charge over big finish at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, I hear Chris Chibnall might be free now!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Coward posted:

Oh, I hear Chris Chibnall might be free now!

You monster.

I honestly don't know if someone could do a better job with Big Finish than Briggs. I've got enormous problems with his stories, but as an editor he's under enough restrictions with the license that I think anyone coming in would find themselves locked on the same path as Briggs. There's not much room for experimentation or stretching the concepts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

You monster.

I honestly don't know if someone could do a better job with Big Finish than Briggs. I've got enormous problems with his stories, but as an editor he's under enough restrictions with the license that I think anyone coming in would find themselves locked on the same path as Briggs. There's not much room for experimentation or stretching the concepts.

With respect this isn't true; a lot of the impositions are internal rather than external censorship.

e.g. compare what Briggs (and it's not just Briggs, it's a handful of people including Ken Bentley) has done with the licence, to what Jacqueline Rayner (6th Doctor) or James Goss (Unbound) have done with their Doctor Who ranges.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The best stuff to come out of big finish recently is stuff briggs has nothing directly to do with. The new sixth doctor stuff and torchwood.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The good news: Thanks to Charter and Disney's new agreement, I can watch Doctor Who legally!

The bad news: Unskippable commercials :negative:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'll always be disappointed they rolled back the 8th doctor range from the weirdness they were going for post Zagreus. They decided to capitalise on the rebooted series by going back to "normal", which I understand but it seems like it would have been a more interesting road where they were going.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Love from Gallifrey, boys!

https://twitter.com/tharriesyt/status/1701991963103223890

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do Timelords only regenerate into different looking Timelords or is Mickey potentially a regeneration?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Khanstant posted:

Do Timelords only regenerate into different looking Timelords or is Mickey potentially a regeneration?

How do you decide if you post will be insightful, random or just.. Kinda weird and confusing?

(missing the obvious joke is quite possible, but I only come up with weird race related things and THAT can't be right in this thread can it? I.. Doubt it. My brain MUST be the broken one here, please!)

what did I miss??? Your other posts are funny. This one weirds me out.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

McGann posted:

How do you decide if you post will be insightful, random or just.. Kinda weird and confusing?

(missing the obvious joke is quite possible, but I only come up with weird race related things and THAT can't be right in this thread can it? I.. Doubt it. My brain MUST be the broken one here, please!)

what did I miss??? Your other posts are funny. This one weirds me out.

He's asking if timelords all look like humans or could they regenerate into Mickey Mouse,- based on the clip directly above of Mickey Mouse shooting fireworks out his hands.

It's not mickey as in the 9th dr companion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And the answer from both Destiny of the Daleks and the TV Movie appears to be ‘yes, Time Lords can look like whatever’, but just prefer to look human/Gallifreyan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I always liked Lawrence Miles' explanation, which is that timelord regenerations tend to get wilder and weirder the higher their number, and that regenerations can be tinkered with to develop into weaponised bodies. One regenerates into The Blob.

The_Doctor posted:

And the answer from both Destiny of the Daleks and the TV Movie appears to be ‘yes, Time Lords can look like whatever’, but just prefer to look human/Gallifreyan.

You're arguing that Snake Master was a deliberate regeneration, and a regeneration in and of itself?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

You're arguing that Snake Master was a deliberate regeneration, and a regeneration in and of itself?

That’s definitely not what I said.

Grace: Why don’t you have the ability to transform into another species?
Doctor: Well, I do, but only when I die.

The Doctor is saying here when he regenerates he could turn into something non-human.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
A one-off Big Finish had that as a plot point, where a Time Lord was stranded on a planet and regenerated to look like the local sapient humanoid-ish species. It would make sense to be able to do so in cases where the Time Lord is in continuing mortal danger among people who don't really look human/Time Lord.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

That’s definitely not what I said.

Grace: Why don’t you have the ability to transform into another species?
Doctor: Well, I do, but only when I die.

The Doctor is saying here when he regenerates he could turn into something non-human.

Dude, I was just asking. I couldn't follow what you were saying.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

So re: the Timeless Child stuff, the way I would resolve this is as follows:

- Gallifreyan culture evolves, goes through its life cycle, invents regeneration and TARDISes, encounters a species-threatening problem it cannot fix, goes extinct. Call this Iteration 1.

- The Doctor was the last survivor of Iteration 1, sent back in time to early Gallifreyan history so that they would acquire and master regeneration earlier, which in the long run lets them survive. Call this Iteration 2.

Done. No more need to hypothesise a Time Lordier culture of Time Lords beyond the Gallifreyan Time Lords for the Doctor to have hailed from. Doctors who cannot be fit into the Iteration 2 timeline came from Iteration 1.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My personal pet theory is that the number of forms to which a Time Lord can regenerate (in normal circumstances, at least) is limited to those of the exclusive group of Gallifreyan elites by whom and for whose use regeneration was originally invented, and this number is roughly equivalent to the number of old fuckers with Equity cards.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Its a pretty funny misunderstanding that the Mickey Mouse post led McGann to think Khanstant was wondering if Ncuti Gatwa's doctor would be allowed to regenerate into Noel Clarke or not, because regenerations usually look different from each other and they don't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Forktoss posted:

My personal pet theory is that the number of forms to which a Time Lord can regenerate (in normal circumstances, at least) is limited to those of the exclusive group of Gallifreyan elites by whom and for whose use regeneration was originally invented, and this number is roughly equivalent to the number of old fuckers with Equity cards.

I feel like this must have been explicit at some point on the show, because I've seen a lot of stories that just take it as read that only Timelords regenerate but not all Gallifreyians do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It took me several rereads of their post to understand what they were asking me or confused about, then a brief moment of horror when I realized, then relief when others explained my stupid mouse joke AND answered the query. I like this thread and Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dude, I was just asking. I couldn't follow what you were saying.

I’m not attacking you, I’m just clarifying what I said earlier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Ninth Doctor audio "The Butler Did It" is soooo much fun

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Warthur posted:

So re: the Timeless Child stuff, the way I would resolve this is as follows:

- Gallifreyan culture evolves, goes through its life cycle, invents regeneration and TARDISes, encounters a species-threatening problem it cannot fix, goes extinct. Call this Iteration 1.

- The Doctor was the last survivor of Iteration 1, sent back in time to early Gallifreyan history so that they would acquire and master regeneration earlier, which in the long run lets them survive. Call this Iteration 2.

Done. No more need to hypothesise a Time Lordier culture of Time Lords beyond the Gallifreyan Time Lords for the Doctor to have hailed from. Doctors who cannot be fit into the Iteration 2 timeline came from Iteration 1.

I got the feeling during Flux that Chibnall was hinting toward something not dissimilar to this: all the fuss about crunching this galaxy while moving to another made me think that obviously the Timeless Child came from another galaxy, and coupled with the "weird evacuation rift that leads to Gallifrey" in the immediately prior season, that'd work with the idea that the Timeless Child was a survivor from the last Flux-like evacuation. Maybe they sent multiple people to multiple different galaxies, or maybe she was the only one.

I'm not sure I can truthfully say I'd be interested in RTD trying to resolve this stuff. A throwaway line about how the destructiveness of the Flux got undone wouldn't hurt, and if the show decides to have a mini-arc where the Doctor goes back to that intergalactic station and ends up exploring another galaxy, that might be fun, but I never got the sense RTD believed the show to be limited to a single galaxy, where Chibnall did seem to think that, so I dunno. Maybe best to pretend the whole thing never happened.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Narsham posted:

I'm not sure I can truthfully say I'd be interested in RTD trying to resolve this stuff. A throwaway line about how the destructiveness of the Flux got undone wouldn't hurt, and if the show decides to have a mini-arc where the Doctor goes back to that intergalactic station and ends up exploring another galaxy, that might be fun, but I never got the sense RTD believed the show to be limited to a single galaxy, where Chibnall did seem to think that, so I dunno. Maybe best to pretend the whole thing never happened.
Chibnall: nerd enough to want to address the Morbius Doctors. Normie enough to just forget about Galaxy 4.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Davros1 posted:

The Ninth Doctor audio "The Butler Did It" is soooo much fun

Glad to hear! I haven't been keeping up with the ninth doctor audios. Are they worth picking up?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Annabel Pee posted:

Its a pretty funny misunderstanding that the Mickey Mouse post led McGann to think Khanstant was wondering if Ncuti Gatwa's doctor would be allowed to regenerate into Noel Clarke or not, because regenerations usually look different from each other and they don't.

Funny, embarrassing, but also I had just come from the FREEPers thread, so I was in a certain headspace. One I'm glad I do not live in constantly.

Khanstant posted:

It took me several rereads of their post to understand what they were asking me or confused about, then a brief moment of horror when I realized, then relief when others explained my stupid mouse joke AND answered the query. I like this thread and Doctor Who.

Yes, very much my brain not firing on all cylinders and filling in the blanks on its own. Apologies! I rather enjoy your random rear end questions myself.

Carry on crew, as I said I knew I had to be misreading that and that I was, in fact, the weirdo here.

Onto Big Finish chat - the Once and Future series continues chugging along, this time with the 10th Doctor returning to a War of the Worlds homage. I'm a huge fan of this story based on the original work as well, and thought it did a decent job working it into its own story. It didn't really...go anywhere, in my opinion, but it's a 60th anniversary story so I can give them some leeway just to get regenerations interacting with one another.

Missy: Doctor you have been ...naive mwahahahaha will never get old to me now.

edit:

Confusedslight posted:

Glad to hear! I haven't been keeping up with the ninth doctor audios. Are they worth picking up?

Yes, very much so. Thanks for reminding me I need to resume my listen, I stopped halfway through Series 3 E2 Northern Lights. Which I now have to restart because I'd forgotten I was mid-listen and moved on to another audio, as evidenced by my above mention of Once and Future. Really tempted to skip to The Butler Did It (ep 4) but I'll probably get there today if work is slow.

McGann fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 14, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Narsham posted:

if the show decides to have a mini-arc where the Doctor goes back to that intergalactic station and ends up exploring another galaxy

Just wanna stress because it's a weird little thing of sci-fi that I can never seem to let go of, but in the case of the Flux they were trying to move to another universe entirely. It's always struck me as weirdly limiting that Star Wars and Star Trek for example are "only" set in a single galaxy (not the same one, obviously!) even though galaxies are loving MASSIVE. I love that even from the very beginning of classic Doctor Who they were absolutely fine with the idea that the Doctor travels through all the galaxies within the universe and in some cases outside of it (E-Space!).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I blame galaxies for being so ludicrously large, empty, and far away all at the same time. There's no good reason for them to be that far awayand if they ever do a universal update cutting out all the empty space is my first ask.

A big part of the fun of Who for me is just seeing where they go and knowing the rules I know don't apply. It can also help when folks behave or do bizarre things, that's just how poo poo is in their galaxy how should I know otherwise? I barely have a frame of reference for one planet in one galaxy. Dalakes seem goofy and ineffective to me but maybe they are quite competent, collected, and reasonable compared to their other galactic locals.

Oddly the concept of going to another universe isn't as exciting as exploring the existing galaxy because it usually ends up feeling more restrictive and sequestered. And anything they do in an alternate universe could also just be done in the normal one. Like even having a topsy turvy bizarro earth with an evil Rose with a villain goatee ruling the world kinda goofy stuff can just be in the normal universe, which can be infinite and this contain a multiverse worths of variants of any given galaxy or chunk of universe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/1702404242105860475

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I feel like this must have been explicit at some point on the show, because I've seen a lot of stories that just take it as read that only Timelords regenerate but not all Gallifreyians do.

Regeneration is definitely something that would be restricted to people with clothes so elaborate putting them on requires an assistant. There's no way the High Council let the woman who ran the orphanage the Doctor went to have a regeneration cycle.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Narsham posted:

so I dunno. Maybe best to pretend the whole thing never happened.
Not for me.

Not at all for me.

If they don't fix this, The Doctor was never just somebody who decided to do good, and I don't care if they have to dip back into Chibnall's absolute rear end-pull bullshit to do it; they have to fix that. They *have* to.

And they have to find a way for Jo Martin to stay too,' cause she was rad.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It doesn't help that in the classic stories, 'galaxy', 'solar system' and 'constellation' were interchangeable and thrown around without a care in the world

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They moved Earth two light years! :derp:

Or, from just near Proxima Centauri to a little bit closer.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random 8th Doctor aside, sorta. A streamer I watch periodically put up a new release, and it was an FMV game called "Mia and the Dragon Princess." Based on the thumbnail, my mind thought "Hey, who is this second rate Paul McGann look-alike?"...well, as I got further in, realized the game is set in London...and it wasn't a look-alike, our boy McGann plays a real villainous piece of poo poo (Ok I'm only half through the story, he may have reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBwZByw7vU (he shows up maybe 1/3rd in?).

I did not even realize FMV games were still around, let alone with a budget...but it also could have all been filmed in one day most likely, so I have no idea if he's slumming, pulling a favor, or just having fun with the novelty.
Spoilers in that link for the game, obviously.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
McGann is filming... always filming...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If only it'd been Doctor Who for the past...what're we at now, almost 25 years since the TV movie?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

If only it'd been Doctor Who for the past...what're we at now, almost 25 years since the TV movie?

27 years, 4 months.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

27 years, 4 months.

:stare:

:stonk:

:stonklol:

Are we old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem