Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
One time I was out walking with my friend and his dog in the park and we meet a woman walking a wolf dog (first generation wolf/dog hybrid), which do require a dangerous animals license to keep. We talked to the lady (who had it on a lead) and she said she'd adopted it from a couple who were unprepared for owning an animal like that and had been completely unable to train it. I think it was her third wolf dog, and appeared as calm and well behaved as you could possibly want from a 50kg set of predatory instincts and massive teeth standing waist high and letting you scratch behind its ears.

It did have very different body language to normal dogs and all the other dogs around gave it a very wide berth, except my friend's somewhat senile old mutt who went up and gave it a sniff before wandering off.

All to say I think people should train their dogs and be considerate of other people, keeping them on a lead where appropriate. That's not really something that is going to be legislated and enforced to a meaningful degree, you need people to accept "don't be a prick" as part of the social contract and willingly follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you todays dog discourse has now moved on to “dogs in pubs”

https://twitter.com/nrgsrhc/status/1701162912901927271?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

I've been reading the thread silently agreeing with the pro-dog camp but this is really weird and something I only noticed when I moved to the UK. People really want to take their dogs in the shop with them. It's mostly fine because in my case there isn't really a place outside to tie them up but the other week a women asked permission (to be fair they always have) and when we said it was okay she let the dog off the leash and let it wander around. Not awful but definitely a little bit disrespectful.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I think that xcom debate shows more the British obsession with pubs than it does dogs, because who on earth immediately jumps to that and not the park (separate sections for dogs and kids), a cafe (kids and no dogs, unless it's a street cafe), restaurants, cinemas, shopping malls, airports, libraries, places of worship, museums? Like they picked one of the few spaces that's not for kids to make their bizarre point.

Thinking about it, is the pub (and even then, only certain types of pubs) the only public place where it is socially acceptable to bring a dog and not children?

Makes the whinging on twitter even more bizarre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Complete change of topic but what's the parents actual excuse for Sara Sharif's death?

They don't have one. The stepmother only refers to her death as "an incident" and the father isn't saying anything at all.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Skull Servant posted:

I've been reading the thread silently agreeing with the pro-dog camp but this is really weird and something I only noticed when I moved to the UK. People really want to take their dogs in the shop with them. It's mostly fine because in my case there isn't really a place outside to tie them up but the other week a women asked permission (to be fair they always have) and when we said it was okay she let the dog off the leash and let it wander around. Not awful but definitely a little bit disrespectful.

My stepdad didn't take his dog into the shop with him, but couldn't be bothered tying his lead to a railing or anything. Just told him to stay, because he's a well trained dog who follows commands.

And that's why Oscar spent the remaining third of his life with only three legs because he immediately ran into loving traffic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

That's pretty weird, but also very easy to say "keep him on a lead" even though you shouldn't have to :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kevino07 posted:

Thinking about it, is the pub (and even then, only certain types of pubs) the only public place where it is socially acceptable to bring a dog and not children?

If you take your kid to the vet for their shots you get a followup visit from some very unreasonable social services people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can bring a dog to a kids park, but you can't go dogging with your kids, what's the country coming to

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Shyrka posted:

My stepdad didn't take his dog into the shop with him, but couldn't be bothered tying his lead to a railing or anything. Just told him to stay, because he's a well trained dog who follows commands.

And that's why Oscar spent the remaining third of his life with only three legs because he immediately ran into loving traffic.

I leave Charles outside the shop, just put his lead on the windowsill and he sits there no problem. And with regard to dogs owning dogs, whenever we’ve discussed getting a second dog it has always been phrased as “Shall we get Charles a puppy?” He’d love it. He is also much, much better behaved and less annoying than my child when in a pub.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 11, 2023

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's pretty weird, but also very easy to say "keep him on a lead" even though you shouldn't have to :shrug:

I ended up not saying anything because it was only a 30 second interaction and I grew up with plenty of dogs so it wasn't an issue. Was more worried about it using the opportunity to piss on something and I'd have to clean it up. Same reaction to if you're talking to someone and they pick their nose or something. Bit weird, would prefer if you didn't do that at this specific moment, but more power to you I guess.

Shyrka posted:

Have had similar things happen with my own dogs. One of them was an absolute escape artist and if he wanted to he'd just take off his collar and wander around if you took too long in the shop. Never got hurt thankfully.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 11, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kevino07 posted:

Yeah, the vast majority of family pubs will have something for kids to do, like age appropriate non-gambling arcade machines or just dominoes or something.

They might restrict kids to the lounge part and keep them out of the saloon if there's cue sports or darts going on, but that's fair.

The "no under 18s" pubs will have nothing for kids at all so don't bring kids there. Those are probably clubs or trendy bars though so don't bring dogs either.

It sounds more like they're all getting wound up about the "we welcome dogs with well behaved owners" signs in village pubs, which is like the mildest humour possible.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you todays dog discourse has now moved on to “dogs in pubs”

https://twitter.com/nrgsrhc/status/1701162912901927271?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Dogs in pubs are a net good, children should be waiting outside the pub as I did when I was a lad.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The main issue I have with dogs is the “running amok in sensitive sites” and how much they can gently caress up protected freshwater bodies.

But that’s just owners being too stubborn/not giving a poo poo.

Please do check if going to a new place if it’s a hub for ground nesting birds, high water quality, etc before you let the dog off the lead. Had to yell at an owner who was letting their dog chase a curlew around the edge of a SSSI pond where it was nesting. Poor thing was alarm calling and trying to dive bomb the dog drive it away to no success. Luckily didn’t notice the nest itself. Owner at least apologised, I don’t think she’d noticed what it was doing.

But properly controlled/trained good dogs are a highlight whenever you meet them, and deserve all the fuss.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The kids are waiting out side already, on their vapes

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Dogs in pubs are a net good, children should be waiting outside the pub as I did when I was a lad.

Think my parents quite liked it when I could pop inside and get them something from the cigarette machine whilst they were in the beer garden. There were perks!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Counting up the hours of my childhood now spent waiting outside the pub/bookies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Waiting for a ridiculous "you can bet on the dogs but you can't take your child in, more British dog favouritism" tweet.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I run on country roads because it's safer than running where people walk their dogs.

Being chased by a dog that's completely ignoring their owner isn't a great experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I got lucky that everyone in my family who would have went to the pub either died or had no contact with me.

Instead I got to go to the slot machines with my grandmother, much healthier, and also probably illegal now/then?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also it made sense to keep kids out of many pubs when everyone was constantly smoking and half the floors were spit and sawdust, why would you demand the right to bring a child there?

But post smoking ban, post GFC, and post pandemic near enough every village pub is falling over themselves with "look we have a family area now, children can play the video machine and look at our amusing dog posters."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This missed my radar the other day

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1700139162471395669

lol, just lol....

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Skull Servant posted:

I've been reading the thread silently agreeing with the pro-dog camp but this is really weird and something I only noticed when I moved to the UK. People really want to take their dogs in the shop with them.

Dang, you just reminded me of the real tragedy of Wilko going under: they let us take the dog into their shops.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Skull Servant posted:

I've been reading the thread silently agreeing with the pro-dog camp

Hey I've had dogs before, I'm not some anti-dog person. I'm just sceptical of the good owner/bad owner dichotomy, everyone is a self-assured good owner until something bad happens.

We already have a list of dangerous animals where nobody cares how good an owner you hypothetically are, you simply can't have one. We also already have the legal concept of pets that are allowed to misbehave and it's not on the owners, cats for example have the right to roam, they are allowed to poo poo in people's private gardens as they should be. Maybe if a cat bit you, you could sue them in civil court for damages? But then we don't have medical bills here.

There should be something in the middle, maybe I'm some kind of dog centrist.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 11, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know where that guy lives but around here there are plenty of family/chain "no dogs/kids OK" pubs and I can't think of a single one that's the opposite

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Guy just needs to go to the loving Toby Carvery and leave the real pubs for the decent people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The last dog/pub related incident I had was rescuing the wandering dog belonging to the landlady of a pub because she'd locked it out and hadn't realised and it was wandering around the high street looking lost and dodging traffic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Some countries have muzzle laws but that sounds like the kinda thing we would simply not enforce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know where that guy lives but around here there are plenty of family/chain "no dogs/kids OK" pubs and I can't think of a single one that's the opposite
It's village pubs and even then since they've been trying to rebrand it's usually only certain areas of village pubs now.

You will get a bunch of countryside pubs with mild dogs > children jokes on the chalkboard, but compared to countryside pubs having literal gollywogs, paintings of imperialists, or every animal they've shot stuffed on the wall I think people can deal with that without assuming the landlord is r/childfree

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hey I've had dogs before, I'm not some anti-dog person. I'm just sceptical of the good owner/bad owner dichotomy, everyone is a self-assured good owner until something bad happens.

We already have a list of dangerous animals where nobody cares how good an owner you hypothetically are, you simply can't have one. We also already have the legal concept of pets that are allowed to misbehave and it's not on the owners, cats for example have the right to roam, they are allowed to poo poo in people's private gardens as they should be. Maybe if a cat bit you, you could sue them in civil court for damages? But then we don't have medical bills here.

There should be something in the middle, maybe I'm some kind of dog centrist.

I mean the previous Bully XL that did this in 2021 had both owners jailed and the dog was shot dead by police. Are you suggesting there aren't consequences for bad dogs? If a dog bites someone it's put down at a vet or executed by police?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

I mean the previous Bully XL that did this in 2021 had both owners jailed and the dog was shot dead by police. Are you suggesting there aren't consequences for bad dogs? If a dog bites someone it's put down at a vet or executed by police?

That's rare most of the time they seem to get away from it AFAIK? I'm also talking about preventative stuff like muzzling or licenses not summary execution after the fact.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's rare most of the time they seem to get away from it AFAIK? I'm also talking about preventative stuff like muzzling or licenses not summary execution after the fact.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

quote:

You can get an unlimited fine or be sent to prison for up to 6 months (or both) if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed.

If you let your dog injure someone you can be sent to prison for up to 5 years or fined (or both). If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’.

If you allow your dog to kill someone you can be sent to prison for up to 14 years or get an unlimited fine (or both).

If you allow your dog to injure an assistance dog (for example a guide dog) you can be sent to prison for up to 3 years or fined (or both).

Destroyed is the euphemism for lethal injection or loving gatling gunned by Slipper's pigs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was wondering how our Landlord reforms were going up here in Sunny Scotland.

https://twitter.com/donturvLDR/status/1699344711402639487?s=19

Going great it seems

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Also my cat is an indoor cat, not because of the environment but because her breed and I quote "has no self preservation skills" which is an adorable way of saying she'd just die in 5 minutes if she went off exploring.
Ragdoll? We briefly looked after one years ago, they are 100% cat himbos.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Sorry, I mean walk in and speak to a receptionist to book an appointment 7 weeks from now.
Our GP has cleverly circimvented this by renovating the reception area for the last 3 years so the receptionists aren't contactable. If you phone you're told only to use the service in an emergency, and if it is an emergency to use 111. They have an online booking service but it's generally full by about 8.15 at which point it just says "sorry, no slots, try again tomorrow."

Next up: being unable to get any kind of diagnosis for joint problems because the NHS referred me to a private company, who after a month refer me to another private company, who after 2 months will tell me they are only able to treat the injury I was referred with and can't look at other parts of the body, also since it's been 3 months the injury has 'gone away' (is not detectable at the initial appointment) and so there's nothing they can do to help.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

Destroyed is the euphemism for lethal injection or loving gatling gunned by Slipper's pigs.

Can deterrence work against a crime noone intends, and noone thinks will ever happen to their perfect dog?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Muzzles, registration, and third party insurance are all already in law if you own a 'banned breed' dog.

The problem is that all the breed descriptions, especially for breeds that the Kennel Club doesn't even call a breed, are based on vague physical descriptions that can only be verified after an attack when police get involved, so none of the irresponsible owners bother, and you can make new varieties of dog just by putting two dogs together, so that's a lot harder to control than making firearm ammunition or whatever.

I've gone through every fatal dog attack where the breed was listed for the past 40-odd years, and Rottweilers (7) and Alsatians (6 or 7) rank higher than 'banned breeds' like pitbull-type (6), but Staffordshire Terriers rank highest (11). I'm not sure if that's just because so many people seem to want to own one without learning how, but a blanket "you must have a dog licence, which includes evidence of rabies vaccination and microchipping" seems like a better approach than just pointing at a bunch of broad physical characteristics and then not even doing anything about the popular breeds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems like there's a notable issue with specific breeds that maybe might warrant more intervention in those breeds specifically.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*jumping out of a SWAT vehicle and training my shotgun on a pomeranian* SIR YOU HAVE A DOG IN YOUR POSSESSION SIR PLEASE STAND ASIDE THE LITTLE poo poo MIGHT BITE SOMEONE *ignores man walking past with a staffordshire terrier covered in human blood*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jack Russells have three to their name, which is surprisingly higher than Dobermanns with only one confirmed, and they can't even come up with a good definition for 'pitbull type' or Windows XPs or whatever the tabloids want to ban, which is why breed specific legislation doesn't work.

There's also no interest in policing the worst dog owner behaviours, farmers letting groups of Rottweilers wander around unsupervised on land with public footpaths. The worst type of dog in a lot of these incidents is 'a pack'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/josephattard02/status/1701291367647822006

This is the cover for the October party conference. I've officially run out of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In “Todays Good Tory” news

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1701268261210403286?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg