Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
starfield seems really suited to just adding a point of interest or groups of points of interest in a clean way that wasn't possible in other bethesda games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

i find that the voice acting for most mods is bad, actually

did you never play oblivion??? voice acting in that sounded like Godd Howard gave Logitech hardwarediscounters mics to his HOA group and asked them to record lines at the local neighbor block party

honestly I read captions faster than npcs speaking so I’m often skipping to the next line frequently and therefore don’t really care about voice acting in mods or even the base games

one exception is games like Freespaxe 2 where the VA owns and is super important. I never got much into modding that game because the mod voices sounded like a bunch of goons trying to read a line into a mic for the first time

there were some better work done later though

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I like that the persona games must be libcuck games but that the fighting one passes the bar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

One of the things holding modding freaks back from making big quests was that people expect it to be voice acted like the base game. Meaning either modders have to take up the financial burden of hiring good, or good enough, voice actors in addition to their unpaid labour or they have to just kinda accept whatever 17 year old with a logitech mic volunteers to read lines. AI voices, bad as they are, will probably see a lot of use from modders to ease that drawback imo

All the chatbot poo poo is going in the same pile with the rest once the VC money dries up and the paywalls start coming up. The free versions and stuff run on home hardware is going to be no better than the volunteer with a logitech mic, by design for the former.

It'll still be possible but only if they're clever about it, like every NPC in the mod for story reasons has had their voice replaced by that weird tiktok one

really big jackets
Sep 11, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
had a good time with starfield. classic todd. two steps forward one step back in terms of how it stacks up with the rest of the genre imo - some pretty good qol tweaks, mechanics and minigame improvements, etc. but the writing in terms of both plots and dialogue is dire. i ran into a bounty hunter in i think neon and most of the dialogue tree was either llm prompts or placeholders that never got replaced. i think it'll be great in a year or two with a wide selection of mods.

more importantly it got me back into rimworld. five stars

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every couple hours in Starfield I run into a bug where the map marker displays in the wrong place, and if I try to fast travel anywhere it crashes. Other than that, no problems at all, and when I'm playing that save on my Xbox I don't get it or at least haven't yet. Anyway this is why I think why all map markers should be replaced by unhelpful NPCs, like how my dad just had Noel give me a note asking me to come home to see them about something when in fact they were in the very next room to where they had her give me the note the entire time, something I only discovered after scouring the Residential District.

Got a sick 1911 out of it tho

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Epic High Five posted:

Every couple hours in Starfield I run into a bug where the map marker displays in the wrong place, and if I try to fast travel anywhere it crashes. Other than that, no problems at all, and when I'm playing that save on my Xbox I don't get it or at least haven't yet. Anyway this is why I think why all map markers should be replaced by unhelpful NPCs, like how my dad just had Noel give me a note asking me to come home to see them about something when in fact they were in the very next room to where they had her give me the note the entire time.

Got a sick 1911 out of it tho

I have had huge issues with the navigation and quest finding throughout the game. I'm still playing a ton despite those issues. Any one have any suggestions for controller settings? Looking around feels terrrrrible.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zokari posted:

idk how they did it but it's probably the only voice acting in any mod that actually feels like it fits with the rest of the game

the VA is all over the place. My man the named security guard sounds like he mumbled through teamspeak. Auryen and the archaeologists all sound incredibly good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

One of the things holding modding freaks back from making big quests was that people expect it to be voice acted like the base game. Meaning either modders have to take up the financial burden of hiring good, or good enough, voice actors in addition to their unpaid labour or they have to just kinda accept whatever 17 year old with a logitech mic volunteers to read lines. AI voices, bad as they are, will probably see a lot of use from modders to ease that drawback imo

11labs is good enough that I can hear a force ghost of max von sydow in game and its on par with the real VA.

Zokari posted:

there are probably thousands of new quest mods (a few of which are even good) and tons of mods that add entirely new gameplay mechanics

wtf is that person talking about

someone who only knows about le thomas the tank engine/macho man randy savage mods.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Milosh posted:

I have had huge issues with the navigation and quest finding throughout the game. I'm still playing a ton despite those issues. Any one have any suggestions for controller settings? Looking around feels terrrrrible.

Embrace fast travelling everywhere, especially once you've really explored a settlement or whatever. Controllers will never feel good for combat so I can't help you there, but for everything else they're fantastic tho you may have to spend some time adjusting the sensitivity in the options. In every single game I've ever played it should be dropped down to about a quarter of where it is by default, and aiming should be like 15/100 at most

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1700965222519890385

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

All the chatbot poo poo is going in the same pile with the rest once the VC money dries up and the paywalls start coming up. The free versions and stuff run on home hardware is going to be no better than the volunteer with a logitech mic, by design for the former.

It'll still be possible but only if they're clever about it, like every NPC in the mod for story reasons has had their voice replaced by that weird tiktok one

Yeah true. They've been free a lot longer than I expected them to be

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

real choices are locked behind ng++

Yup!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

My mind is ready. I have consumed the latest glitches tips. After loving around on Moon I'm gonna go make an outpost for Aluminum and Iron. Then I'm gonna make an outpost for cobalt and the other thing for magnets. Then I'm going to make 5000 Molybindium Magnet whatever's and have all the skillpoints ever.

forget all that, rush the main story

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tbh was gonna shelve starfield but hearing all this stuff, I'm gonna ng+ it and see. If this is an extended prank then premptive well done

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Niira is a badass planet. Best one so far. Go there if you haven't tons of cool poo poo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
the new hacking mini game is a great step forward in terms of being engaging but holy poo poo some of them take nearly 20 minutes to solve at master level, and I’ve noticed more than few lately with no viable solution on easier difficulties too which is weird

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the disconnect between difficulty and reward (white useless helmet and 10xp) is pretty messed up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah the disconnect between difficulty and reward (white useless helmet and 10xp) is pretty messed up.

time to put my half-eaten sandwich and five dollars behind the most devious electronic lock ever made

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have my controller hotswappable and I've been using it for basic traversal and dialog forwarding.

I'm fresh off of No Man Sky so I'm really struggling to adapt to alternate-philosphy procedurally generated space game controls. I keep trying to sprint --> melee --> jetboost and this just isn't that game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Solving the Lament Configuration and getting two cans of poutine and a 'Beaver Inspector' ballcap ftmfw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KirbyKhan posted:

I have my controller hotswappable and I've been using it for basic traversal and dialog forwarding.

I'm fresh off of No Man Sky so I'm really struggling to adapt to alternate-philosphy procedurally generated space game controls. I keep trying to sprint --> melee --> jetboost and this just isn't that game.

kind of surprised how NMS ended up. the spring melee rocket momentum boost feels... pretty good. i mean it's not tribes but you can zoom up and down big rear end hills and catch sick air on a worm

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

kind of surprised how NMS ended up. the spring melee rocket momentum boost feels... pretty good. i mean it's not tribes but you can zoom up and down big rear end hills and catch sick air on a worm

i miss tribes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sam Coes loyalty quest is bugged out so that if you hurt anyone on the hostile ship you have to board, he ends up hating you. Incredible.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I keep trying to sprint --> melee --> jetboost and this just isn't that game.

open-world games sorely need to have unique traversal mechanics like this, otherwise they get extremely tedious really quickly imo. its one of the main reasons i cant stand playing mmos or jrpgs cause you usually just run through all the giant levels on foot and it drives me crazy

they try to have something like that in Starfield with the boostpacks, but they are so anemic that it doesnt really cut it. need to add some kinda glide or speed gaining maneuver to perk up the traversal

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Heck the slight rocket backpack jump in Mass Effect Andromeda is better than Starfield.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

open-world games sorely need to have unique traversal mechanics like this, otherwise they get extremely tedious really quickly imo. its one of the main reasons i cant stand playing mmos or jrpgs cause you usually just run through all the giant levels on foot and it drives me crazy

they try to have something like that in Starfield with the boostpacks, but they are so anemic that it doesnt really cut it. need to add some kinda glide or speed gaining maneuver to perk up the traversal

Skiing in tribes 2

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The only master lock I have solved is the one that gives me the mark 1 constellation suit. If I am roaming around space with constellation I have to look the part.

Frosted Flake posted:

Sam Coes loyalty quest is bugged out so that if you hurt anyone on the hostile ship you have to board, he ends up hating you. Incredible.

lol he took the divorced dad as his companion.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

just imagine if Starfield had some kind of magnet boots that also reduced friction. you could slide down hills and use the boostpack to speed up, or slide along the walls or ceilings in stations and blast through them in no time if you were skilled enough

The Oldest Man posted:

Skiing in tribes 2

yes, exactly, ive posted about this before and its the main thing i want in starfield

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The problem with Starfield jumpboost is that it makes you go up instead of forward. The verticality is cool, but it is not fast.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sincerely, I think this is something that Fortnite has handled really well since the implementation of vehicles, and especially since they revamped movement altogether. They usually add some new item that changes how people move around the map quickly like once a month.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just imagine if Starfield had some kind of magnet boots that also reduced friction. you could slide down hills and use the boostpack to speed up, or slide along the walls or ceilings in stations and blast through them in no time if you were skilled enough

yes, exactly, ive posted about this before and its the main thing i want in starfield

add flyable scouts and deployable backpack turrets and we're talking

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Heck the slight rocket backpack jump in Mass Effect Andromeda is better than Starfield.

Fuckin trueeeeeee

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actually just give me the spinfusor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
using the Rocket Ram to escape a firefight or the storm quickly is the most fun the game has been in ages

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

some moons have g so low you can basically fly with the boost pack perk.. it feels great lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it sounds like what you want is a skip pack no idea when they drop or sell at what level