Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Half-Life isnt even fun. Who gives a crap. Play Void Stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

There's never going to be a Half-Life 3, or a Portal 3. Expectations for those titles would be impossibly high, Valve is way better off doing something different. Plus they make far more money making some exploitative garbage than an actual good game anyway, and their flat structure incentivizes making money above everything else.

Ah yes, deeply successful exploitation games like Artifact.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, DOTA 2, CSGO, and even TF2 pioneered a lot of the lootbox stuff.

But sure, let's point to the one failure of theirs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lootboxes are a failure of the human soul

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

Half-Life isnt even fun. Who gives a crap. Play Void Stranger.

Incorrect and no.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can we change the thread title to be less horny, I propose:

Steam Thread: Fun with Friends :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Resdfru posted:

If valve were a publicly traded company that actually prioritized making money over literally everything else then we would have had 6 half lifes and portals and left 4 deads. Come on now.

If Valve prioritized making money over everything else, they would focus on maximizing steam storefront revenue, and after that on F2P bullshit. AKA exactly what they do.

And yes, if they were publicly traded they would be very similar. But that's not the only option. Jolly Gabe could run his drat company and give it some vision, but he set it up with flat management because he just wants to sit in his office slamming Big Macs all day.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

They have also made a bunch of artists financially stable because of making poo poo for those loot boxes, which they super didn’t have to do. E: Or rather it is surprising that they did that because they are a huge company.

The loot boxes themselves are not great, no argument there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The issue with Half-Life 3 is that it basically can't succeed. Even if you made an absolutely excellent HL3 it's not going to be genre-defining and any choice they make with regards to game stuff is going to be criticized.

Like poo poo "does Gordon Freeman talk" is a great example of a no-win situation because either way it's going to earn criticism.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

imo change the thread title to be even hornier

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

buglord posted:

Steam Thread: Fun with Friends with Vulvas

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with Half-Life 3 is that it basically can't succeed. Even if you made an absolutely excellent HL3 it's not going to be genre-defining and any choice they make with regards to game stuff is going to be criticized.

Like poo poo "does Gordon Freeman talk" is a great example of a no-win situation because either way it's going to earn criticism.

Give Freeman the thickest Jersey accent they can find.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I may be misremembering but isn't this their explicitly stated reason for never making a HL3? Both HL1 and HL2 were massive innovations in the genre that gaben only directed the company to make because they innovated the genre/tech so much and I'm pretty sure I've read an interview saying they'll never make a HL3 unless they can do the same thing with it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ImpAtom posted:

People say this sort of thing a lot, but I think it's a mistake to equate "Will have at least some critics no matter what" with "Cannot succeed". There have been plenty of other revivals of dormant series that were successful by every metric, like Doom 2016 or Metroid Dread, and I don't think there's any reason to believe it would be impossible to make a Half Life 3 that's a financial and critical success, even if it's not the industry changer 2 was.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sab669 posted:

No they didn't. Games like Pangya and Asian MMOs were doing loot boxes years before Valve even approached the concept.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Freeman's Mind answered that for everyone anyway

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ricochet 2 :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Det_no posted:

No they didn't. Games like Pangya and Asian MMOs were doing loot boxes years before Valve even approached the concept.

tf2 brought them into the eyes of the english gamedev world but yeah maplestory had them beat to hell
dota2 did start the "battle pass" thing, though fortnite is the game that really popularized it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a miracle that Alyx and the Steam Deck actually made it to release.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

buglord posted:

With the kind of fun I have with my friends this would be even more horny

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vulvas With Friends

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

...with benefits.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ngl, I don't think I even really care about seeing a new Half-Life game anymore. Maybe I'd be mildly more interested if I could actually play Alyx, but only by so much.

Doesn't help that Laidlaw's leaked take on Episode 3 was really underwhelming. Obviously thanks to Alyx that wouldn't be a thing anymore, but it just replaces one dubious unknown direction for another.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All this vulva talk is really downplaying the contributions of the ultragenital;

Steam Thread: Fun With Cloacas

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

K8.0 posted:

If Valve prioritized making money over everything else, they would focus on maximizing steam storefront revenue, and after that on F2P bullshit. AKA exactly what they do.

There is a lot of dumb poo poo on the internet but this is some seriously concentrated dumbass right here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

People say this sort of thing a lot, but I think it's a mistake to equate "Will have at least some critics no matter what" with "Cannot succeed". There have been plenty of other revivals of dormant series that were successful by every metric, like Doom 2016 or Metroid Dread, and I don't think there's any reason to believe it would be impossible to make a Half Life 3 that's a financial and critical success, even if it's not the industry changer 2 was.

I would say the harder part there is figuring out how to do a 2016/Dread style of Half-Life 2. Both of those games worked extremely hard to capture the feel of the original games while also modernizing things because Doom and Metroid have such incredibly defined identities that you can focus on Rip or Tear or whatever.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 run into the problem that what they did particularly well (a more story/narrative focused game, heavy focus on environmental storytelling, more involved AI, physics engine stuff) is all relatively commonplace now. Without that most of Half-Life's identity is baked into the narrative and uh, I don't think it's controversial to say nobody has any real idea what is up with HL's actual narrative at Valve.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe they can just make a diablo 4 and rake in paint by numbers nostalgiabuxx. I think we'd all be better off.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the other angle with valve and lootboxes regardless of whether they were first or popularised them is that they're still heavily invested in the concept, there's generally been a trend away from lootboxes (fortnite, COD, PUBG, OW have dropped them) but valve hasn't budged an inch beyond what they've been required to do by regulators in a few countries

they don't want to give up that sweet sweet gambling addict money

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dying Light 2 has a premium currency now? Cool. Best value!

https://pilgrimoutpost.techlandgg.com/news/dl-points

quote:

What are DL Points and how do I buy them? DL Points is the in-game currency that allows you to buy skin bundles in Dying Light 2 at a better price and without leaving the game. It will be available to purchase for real money through our in-game store that is connected to first-party stores. DL Points are being sold* in packs of 500, 1100, 2300, 3600 and 6500. The more DL Points you purchase, the more you get as a bonus. For instance, a purchase of 1100 contains a 10% bonus of 100 DL Points while a purchase of 6500 contains a 30% bonus of 1500 DL Points. *Pricing is representative of local market conditions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ErrEff posted:

DL1 and DL2 really are the Gallant and Goofus of video games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Wow...that's so strange. Whatever would push them to do such a strange thing. I guess we'll just never know.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyway, completely unrelated news from 6 weeks ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/24/23805592/tencent-buys-techland-dying-light

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Det_no posted:

Maybe pioneered was too strong of a word, but I think RPATDO_LAMD is fair to say they certainly helped popularize/normalize it in the west. They were certainly one of the more early adopters, and their games are some of the most popular in the industry.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Stop loving around and give me the skeleton kicking game Techland

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

love to pay real money in a mediocre first person game for skins that I can't see

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

buglord posted:

how did this get here I am not good with computer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

how did this get here I am not good with computer

How could you do this to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kazil posted:

love to pay real money in a mediocre first person game for skins that I can't see

It has co-op/multiplayer so I guess it is for that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

buglord posted:

How could you do this to me

I was possessed by a spirit of mischief :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cloaca mischief