Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just to clarify:

The ”reflections” are from Pro-Russia account propagandists analyzing a pixel from a car roof in a grainy video. There is no solid evidence for the missile’s direction.
The direction is tea-leaf-read from blurry supposed reflections, and the same pages claim Associated Press has edited the damning reflection away from the video.

It’s absolutely possible failed intercepts or improper launches are to blame. However, right now those certain lines are verbatim from Kremlin accounts. The fact that it even is "a HARM" comes from those same mouth pieces claiming that only HARMs make an explosion like that on the video, overlaid with HARM impacts from training videos. (lol).

There’s certain value to checking up on the Kremlin mouthpiece Twitter and IG feeds because you can see the precision at which _certain_ posters repeat every single line from them.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Why would you use a HARM to attack a market? It's a specialized weapon for attacking radars and would be a waste to just dumbfire it into some buildings.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
such is the evil of HATO

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was gonna take the 6er bet as long as it was a week and we stopped talking about it until there was actual concrete information.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Barcley posted:

Why would you use a HARM to attack a market? It's a specialized weapon for attacking radars and would be a waste to just dumbfire it into some buildings.

He was trying to imply/claim that the HARM missile locked onto its own launcher that apparently fired from the middle of a crowded market.

Anyways it is funny that for his all "I'm just asking questions!" all of his arguments came straight from Russian shills.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've said it before, but HARM is an A+ name for a weapon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'll take a sixer for saying Putin loves horse cum

I mean it's just as falsifiable, but we have stronger evidence of my claims in the form of many anecdotes.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Barcley posted:

because it also homes in on 5G internet from tiktokers phones

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
missiles go off course and hit poo poo sometimes, see: ukrainian s-300 that hit poland a while back.

in any case i think the most likely culprit for a missile strike on a ukrainian city is russia, which seems to have a history of launching missiles at targets in ukrainian cities

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OctaMurk posted:

in any case i think the most likely culprit for a missile strike on a ukrainian city is russia, which seems to have a history of launching missiles at targets in ukrainian cities

Big if true

more seriously, what I don't get is why Russia is even trying to have their state shills fog the issue on this. Why pretend that this missile is a false flag when they admit to all the others? Just general "nothing is ever true or false" bullshit? If Putin would false flag himself it would save the rest of the world a lot of stress.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 11, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Barcley posted:

Among the many other reasons this idea is incredibly stupid, I'm not sure you even can dumbfire the HARM into some buildings. According to this prepar3d aircraft vendor manual, there are a bunch of modes that must see the emitter and if they don't will explode harmlessly well above the ground, and exactly one that maybe enables you to blow up a specific set of coordinates regardless of what the missile sensor sees, which has to be programmed in on the ground beforehand, and potentially requires normal/full communication with the missile by the crew in flight that it doesn't sound like Ukraine has (which isn't surprising, since they aren't launching them from NATO aircraft).

And yeah, even if you buy that the sim product is accurate and you actually can brief an arbitrary set of coordinates and get the missile to blow up on the ground at that point, why? Why would you use a highly valuable specialized tool like a HARM, why would you blow up your own people to begin with, how did you get ground and flight crews to agree to blow up their innocent countrymen, why would you do your counterproductive and stupid false flag in the most expensive and circuitous way possible, ... I don't mean to kick the guy when he's down/probed but this is such a bizarre idea to me.

TheWeedNumber posted:

because it also homes in on 5G internet from tiktokers phones

of course :doh:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

missiles go off course and hit poo poo sometimes, see: ukrainian s-300 that hit poland a while back.

It'd be less transparently stupid and obvious an attempt to baselessly attack Ukraine because he heard his favorite Russian shills claim it was "confirmed HARM", if he hadn't started talking about it being a HARM missile that doubled back and hit its launcher or something, because unless Ukraine has come up with something brand new, HARM aren't launched from ground launchers. Yaknow, being aircraft missiles.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Flyinglemur posted:

Maybe the missile knew where it was, but not where it wasn't

impossible. the missile knows where it is because it knows where it isn't

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kchama posted:

It'd be less transparently stupid and obvious an attempt to baselessly attack Ukraine because he heard his favorite Russian shills claim it was "confirmed HARM", if he hadn't started talking about it being a HARM missile that doubled back and hit its launcher or something, because unless Ukraine has come up with something brand new, HARM aren't launched from ground launchers. Yaknow, being aircraft missiles.
Maybe the aircraft landed in a market right after firing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh wow, a bunch of new posts in the Ukraine thread after a long weekend camping! I wonder if Ukrainian forces were able to capitalize on the progress towards Robotyne...

Nope, just lovely russian projection leaking again.

Just catching up from ISW, looks like russia conducted another wave of terror bombing with iranian drones against schools, apartments, and hospitals this time around: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-10-2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

tiaz posted:

Among the many other reasons this idea is incredibly stupid, I'm not sure you even can dumbfire the HARM into some buildings. According to this prepar3d aircraft vendor manual, there are a bunch of modes that must see the emitter and if they don't will explode harmlessly well above the ground, and exactly one that maybe enables you to blow up a specific set of coordinates regardless of what the missile sensor sees, which has to be programmed in on the ground beforehand, and potentially requires normal/full communication with the missile by the crew in flight that it doesn't sound like Ukraine has (which isn't surprising, since they aren't launching them from NATO aircraft).

And yeah, even if you buy that the sim product is accurate and you actually can brief an arbitrary set of coordinates and get the missile to blow up on the ground at that point, why? Why would you use a highly valuable specialized tool like a HARM, why would you blow up your own people to begin with, how did you get ground and flight crews to agree to blow up their innocent countrymen, why would you do your counterproductive and stupid false flag in the most expensive and circuitous way possible, ... I don't mean to kick the guy when he's down/probed but this is such a bizarre idea to me.

of course :doh:

Naw, in Pre-briefed mode it flies up high over the spot and looks down for an emitter.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kchama posted:

Not to mention, if you did rig up a ground launcher for it, A: why? It's not an anti-missile missile, it goes after radar emitters. Maybe awkward missile artillery against a SAM, I guess? But SAMs are all they're good against, to the best of my knowledge.
B: why would you put a radar on that jury-rigged launcher, which your HARM could turn around and hit? Again, it's not an anti-aircraft or anti-missile missile so what would you be hoping to detect and shoot at with your radar?
C: you can't guide a HARM with a fire control radar anyway. You give it a radar type to home in on, optionally give it coordinates to reach before it starts looking, and send it off on its way. It does not guide using reflected radar energy bouncing off the target, it guides based on the specific kind of emissions of the model of radar you're trying to destroy.
D: it doesn't seek out "any radar", you tell it what kind. This isn't like an old torpedo seeking the loudest submarine noise, turning around and blowing up the launching sub. So unless you're using the exact same FCR as what you're hunting (again, why would you do this because those are SAM radars and you're not hunting aircraft) it's not going to turn around and track your own radar.

Unless I'm missing something here (and I could well be, I just play sims, I'm not an expert), it doesn't make any sense.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 11, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Jarmak posted:

Naw, in Pre-briefed mode it flies up high over the spot and looks down for an emitter.

yeah, there's a very confusing paragraph about pre-briefed's target-of-opportunity submode, I guess I'll call it? which supposedly doesn't require an emitter but has to be programmed from the aircraft, somehow. which sounds like it might be a sim-specific feature and there are no irl modes that would blow up on the ground without detecting an emitter to kill.

e: anyway, the grognard war thunder manual leak lite reasons I brought up are way down the line past where the idea became ridiculous, so. even if it's theoretically possible it's absurd to entertain, though I am enjoying learning more about the HARM.

tiaz fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

tiaz posted:

yeah, there's a very confusing paragraph about pre-briefed's target-of-opportunity submode, I guess I'll call it? which supposedly doesn't require an emitter but has to be programmed from the aircraft, somehow. which sounds like it might be a sim-specific feature and there are no irl modes that would blow up on the ground without detecting an emitter to kill.

e: anyway, the grognard war thunder manual leak lite reasons I brought up are way down the line past where the idea became ridiculous, so. even if it's theoretically possible it's absurd to entertain, though I am enjoying learning more about the HARM.

Oh good call, I missed that. Still makes no sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Catatron Prime posted:

Oh wow, a bunch of new posts in the Ukraine thread after a long weekend camping! I wonder if Ukrainian forces were able to capitalize on the progress towards Robotyne...

Good news on that front, tanks are back on the menu. There's some wild stuff in this update, plausible, but wild - a spotter drone warning a tank of an incoming Lancet for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgJd1qjcqQ

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Catatron Prime posted:

Nope, just lovely russian projection leaking again.

Just catching up from ISW, looks like russia conducted another wave of terror bombing with iranian drones against schools, apartments, and hospitals this time around: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-10-2023

They're also tantalizingly close to the next line of defense, with the salient(is that word appropriate? I always worry I'm using it wrong) pushing out little feelers in all directions.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Good news on that front, tanks are back on the menu. There's some wild stuff in this update, plausible, but wild - a spotter drone warning a tank of an incoming Lancet for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgJd1qjcqQ

"recovering a stuck Russian tank"

That tank has a white cross on it, it's Ukrainian. This channel keeps getting recommended by goons, so take it as a caution about the quality of his fact-checking.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

That tank has a white cross on it, it's Ukrainian. This channel keeps getting recommended by goons, so take it as a caution about the quality of his fact-checking.

Noticed that as well, annoying to be sure.

:ukraine:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

There's like a gazillion different youtube channels now all pumping out near-daily LATEST FRONTLINE NEWS FROM UKRAINE type videos. A lot of it feels extremely clickbait-y tbh, but there's some good ones like Suchomimus that on occasion cover interesting osint/geolocation type stuff.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

What weapons is Russia hoping to get from North Korea? I'd guess they've got a poo poo ton of artillery and shells. Do they manufacture much themselves?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

What weapons is Russia hoping to get from North Korea? I'd guess they've got a poo poo ton of artillery and shells. Do they manufacture much themselves?

Ammunition, specifically artillery shells. I'm sure some is manufactured locally and some is stockpiled from the 80s. IIRC, both Russia and China had been pretty good about not helping them dodge sanctions on arms sales since neither really stood to gain from them destabilizing the peninsula

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Sounds like good progress

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1700903726779613472
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-says-it-has-retaken-offshore-drilling-platforms-near-crimea-2023-09-11/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Big if true

more seriously, what I don't get is why Russia is even trying to have their state shills fog the issue on this. Why pretend that this missile is a false flag when they admit to all the others? Just general "nothing is ever true or false" bullshit? If Putin would false flag himself it would save the rest of the world a lot of stress.

I can think of two reasons.

Maybe they are feeling hurt by the false accusations. They know they hadn't been launching any Iskanders at that hour and are askance at the slander.

Or they want to raise doubts among Ukr military and people about the safety of their armament. Maybe they know it wasn't their Kalibr. Or just make these claims for every 1 in 100 Iskanders.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would find it more believable to suppose that their disinformation agencies found that to be the most relevant topic to stir poo poo up about that day and so that's what they're pumping out. Tomorrow it'll be a different topic, same message.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I think it's fairly simple: Russia is actually concerned about managing escalation of support from Europe and the US, hence why they're desperately messaging in an attempt to minimize another one of their attacks blowing up a market in a war that they started and which they continue to wage. tbh that's a reasonable thing to be concerned about when the current level of discussion is f16s and atacms (among other things). some particularly important decisions are going to be made around what all f16 capable weapon systems to give Ukraine and no doubt Russia would prefer that those decisions are not made by people thinking of the most recent scenes of murdered Ukrainian civilians.

bird food bathtub posted:

I would find it more believable to suppose that their disinformation agencies found that to be the most relevant topic to stir poo poo up about that day and so that's what they're pumping out. Tomorrow it'll be a different topic, same message.

partly yeah, but that specific bit of bullshit was pushed harder than a lot of the throwaway bullshit that they push

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 11, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Call me a Realist (actually don't, I'll fight you), but I think most military support for Ukraine is concerned with geopolitical matters rather than the deaths of civilians. Russia's goals in the region are completely incompatible with a number of countries, and that wouldn't change even if Russia wasn't terror bombing civilians.

It certainly makes it easier to justify support to the populace, so you have split propaganda where Russia is at the same time internally gloriously bombing the subhumans of the Ukraine, while externally actually the homo-NATO puppets barbarically shot an ARM-missile at themselves to false flag poor persecuted Russia (which is actually very strong).

It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense, you can always find millions of morons on Twitter and the platform will gladly help you find more.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

They really need to fire the guy who installed that old radar directed B52 turret on the roof of that building. You know, if it actually was a HARM.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Having Ivan's Used SAM Radar Emporium downtown was just asking for trouble.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Nope. Only thing confirmed is 18 deaths and a video appearing to show the missile in flight from the NW just before the impact.

Northwest is an entirely normal direction for missiles to come in from. Konstantinyivka is well within range for S-300 missiles when fired ballistically from anywhere within Belgorod or half of Kursk Oblast, they have fired missiles from there at targets near Kramatorsk before, and those would come roughly from northwest.

It's not credible that a HARM would hit somewhere that far behind lines, they don't blindly home in on emissions, they are preprogrammed with target areas.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I occasionally watch their updates, and completely ignoring the content of this recent video, one image really sticks in my head above any other claim because it's not acknowledged. We all hear that Russian recruiting standards for military service basically don't exist anymore, but it's a little crazy that we can be shown potbellied uncle Stanislav and be expected to take it as read that he is actually a front line combat marine of the 810th Guards Naval Infantry that was deployed on an offensive operation

I know that the service ages you quick and it's not exactly a flattering image, but the current CJCS looks more fit for combat duty and he's so old that I'm not sure how he hasn't been forced to retire

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he is 100% who he is claimed to be, but it is honestly hard to grapple with the idea that the manpower situation could be bad enough to send this guy on the ground to re-take an objective

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Hannibal Rex posted:

I never watch those videos because of the dumb preview thumbnails, but in that case he might not be wrong - they paint the white cross on knocked out/captured tanks for the same reason they paint it on their own tanks, so they know not to shoot it

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

Northwest is an entirely normal direction for missiles to come in from. Konstantinyivka is well within range for S-300 missiles when fired ballistically from anywhere within Belgorod or half of Kursk Oblast, they have fired missiles from there at targets near Kramatorsk before, and those would come roughly from northwest.

It's not credible that a HARM would hit somewhere that far behind lines, they don't blindly home in on emissions, they are preprogrammed with target areas.

I think the thing that gets me the most in all of that is the idea that Ukraine is bombing itself to increase support for the war, when fucker, Russia's already bombing them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kchama posted:

I think the thing that gets me the most in all of that is the idea that Ukraine is bombing itself to increase support for the war, when fucker, Russia's already bombing them.

There were a whole bunch of villages near the border that got abandoned due to frequent shelling with no one noticing.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

I occasionally watch their updates, and completely ignoring the content of this recent video, one image really sticks in my head above any other claim because it's not acknowledged. We all hear that Russian recruiting standards for military service basically don't exist anymore, but it's a little crazy that we can be shown potbellied uncle Stanislav and be expected to take it as read that he is actually a front line combat marine of the 810th Guards Naval Infantry that was deployed on an offensive operation

I know that the service ages you quick and it's not exactly a flattering image, but the current CJCS looks more fit for combat duty and he's so old that I'm not sure how he hasn't been forced to retire

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he is 100% who he is claimed to be, but it is honestly hard to grapple with the idea that the manpower situation could be bad enough to send this guy on the ground to re-take an objective

I can see old timers who were previously active duty in said unit(s) getting on board the support mother Russia train. I doubt Russian recruiters are going to deny someone with experience like that, even if the do not meet physical standards. I believe Russia also has a similar system as the US ready reserve, (previous active/guard who can still pass basic physical/psychological requirements getting mobilized in times of war).

The US called up the ready reserve in 2003-2004, and there were 50+ year old previous active duty personnel being put into combat units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Didn't Russia raise the max age of conscription to 55?