Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

KirbyKhan posted:

The problem with Starfield jumpboost is that it makes you go up instead of forward. The verticality is cool, but it is not fast.

someone posted earlier that if you bind an alternative key bind for jump that hitting that button in the air propels you the direction you’re facing and not up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you get skip packs and vert packs and balanced packs. skip packs are for speeding up travel that way. game never explains what a skip pack is but it should be self explanitory, it reduces vert and increases horz speed so you can "skip" along the surface. if youre doing a lot of indoor-outdoor stuff id put a vert pack and skip pack on your favorites

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Red Baron posted:

someone posted earlier that if you bind an alternative key bind for jump that hitting that button in the air propels you the direction you’re facing and not up

now we're talking

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

they try to have something like that in Starfield with the boostpacks, but they are so anemic that it doesnt really cut it. need to add some kinda glide or speed gaining maneuver to perk up the traversal

pretty sure gamebryo would literally melt down and crash if you did this. at least that’s what I figure by why movement is very limit d and relatively slow

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actually skip capacity packs don't give you any extra forward momentum, they just have reduced power in favor of 50% faster recharge, get owned by the wrath of todd

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
lmao yeah just tested it, slapped a mouse button on jump and now in the air I boost noticeably further

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lpzie posted:

some moons have g so low you can basically fly with the boost pack perk.. it feels great lol.

That's because you cover a lot of distance and have good momentum with the first jump on a low g map.

But then the boost backpack jump is back to being the same piddly poo poo as always.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Actually skip capacity packs don't give you any extra forward momentum, they just have reduced power in favor of 50% faster recharge, get owned by the wrath of todd

i was lied to

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

loving great that they didn't give you any real mobility options but there's one in the game due to a bug, incredible, no notes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my jump pack isnt upgraded but i wonder if you can achieve escape velocity from the moon

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Xaris posted:

pretty sure gamebryo would literally melt down and crash if you did this. at least that’s what I figure by why movement is very limit d and relatively slow

the first dlc is gonna add land vehicles and theyre all gonna move at 1.5x the speed of sprinting cause that is the max the engine can handle

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

loving great that they didn't give you any real mobility options but there's one in the game due to a bug, incredible, no notes

Bethesda magic at work, modders will fix it, etc. etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the first dlc is gonna add land vehicles and theyre all gonna move at 1.5x the speed of sprinting cause that is the max the engine can handle

saving up all your gold for a horse in skyrim and then realizing they cant go faster than a trot ftw

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

The problem with Starfield jumpboost is that it makes you go up instead of forward. The verticality is cool, but it is not fast.

skip boostpack.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

do not skip the boostpacks, kirby, theyre very useful

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

they nerfed some of the bosses in armored core 6 and people are melting down about how from ruined baltius by nerfing its damage and hp and made it slower and stagger more easily while being less aggressive because it doesn't attack as much anymore and it's so easy that anyone could do it now and it takes no skill and game journalists and casuals ruined everything

someone data mined the changes and the only thing they did was make the missile tracking less accurate

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so are fromsoft games for disgusting painpiggies?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They sure are.

The bosses were always easy but people loved to make them more difficult and inflict pain on themselves.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

turn off the TV posted:

they nerfed some of the bosses in armored core 6 and people are melting down about how from ruined baltius by nerfing its damage and hp and made it slower and stagger more easily while being less aggressive because it doesn't attack as much anymore and it's so easy that anyone could do it now and it takes no skill and game journalists and casuals ruined everything

*cracking my knuckles, yawning* now that the most recent splatfest is over, I'm thinking of picking AC6 back up

turn off the TV posted:

someone data mined the changes and the only thing they did was make the missile tracking less accurate

*uncracking knuckles, inhaling in a long, drawn-out manner* or maybe I should jump back into SF6

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

so are fromsoft games for disgusting painpiggies?

Not really in most cases, but people like to pretend they're harder than they are to seem badass.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all gamers are painpiggies

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

They sure are.

The bosses were always easy but people loved to make them more difficult and inflict pain on themselves.

the real boss in all the From games ive played has been bad camera controls and inexplicable framerate problems, have not played ac6 yet though

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The secret to most From games is that the difficulty isn't a setting or a slider but something you decide for yourself through the decisions you make. This leads to a lot of people choosing to play Dark Souls in a way that is very reflective of how they live their life.

Yes, you could just use the easier weapons with the cheesier strategy but the self loathing it will generate in some people would kill them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

from software games are cool because they're relatively easy while having a reputation for being very hard so if someone has a barely functional dogshit build they'll just think that it's supposed to take 12 hours to kill a boss that you can otherwise brainlessly face roll. or they know how to brainlessly face roll and believe that it's exploiting and the devs didn't intend for it and you have to be intentionally poo poo to play the game right

ive already seen someone say that utilizing the stagger system, the mechanic that combat in ac6 is entirely designed around, is cheesing because it makes the bosses easy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my approach so far with ckIII has been to restart when my titles get too confusing to manage hoping that eventually it'll click

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

fromsoft forgot about their stagger system so i'm fixing their mistake by not using it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

sounds like a decent change, I'm a series veteran and the three changed bosses were a little overtuned

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stagger makes most Elden Ring bosses piss easy too but nobody ever complains about that. I guess it's harder to make SEO tuned clickbait videos that fill up feeds and make gamers crazy about "just two hand something big and use your heaviest attacks when you can"

Like you can min/max even that I guess but no gear or buffs are more powerful than the bonus you get for two-handing. There's some weapon arts that make it easier but the strategy works just as well with any of the roars, stomps, or even just endure. Flame of the Redmanes was a popular target for awhile I guess but like 3 other weapon arts do the same amount of posture damage lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah at this point loling at games journalists has become a subset of epic youtuber comments.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ahh, bioshock :psyduck:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the two "stagger" mechanics are very different and the magnitude of the benefits you get from focusing on staggering certain bosses is different. the way direct hit modifiers work in armored core 6 and how stagger will immediately freeze an extremely fast AC mid air for a second is not comparable to what you can do in elden ring. i don't remember any elden ring bosses dying in the first or second stagger window. also none of them fly around really fast and then freeze midair and let you needle them in the face for massive damage

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

turning a game off during a cutscene and thinking "what a great ending"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

the two "stagger" mechanics are very different and the magnitude of the benefits you get from focusing on staggering certain bosses is different. the way direct hit modifiers work in armored core 6 and how stagger will immediately freeze an extremely fast AC mid air for a second is not comparable to what you can do in elden ring. i don't remember any elden ring bosses dying in the first or second stagger window. also none of them fly around really fast and then freeze midair and let you needle them in the face for massive damage

Lots of small damage so I can stop you and drop a gently caress off laser into your face seems to be the ideal way to play.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i like the ac6 stagger. felt very good to stop the fast ACs in their tracks and then let my shoulders send them to hell. also just timing shoulder cannons or songbirds or whatever i had up there to hit them when they paused felt good every time

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Red Baron posted:

dang it makes such a huge difference

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

It's Radahn all over again. People talked about how the nerf ruined him yet all they did was fix his hitboxes which were straight out broken and larger than intended or visualized and dropped his damage.

That one was extra stupid because the game is at its best when the hitboxes are accurate and you can make small movements to dodge.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Red Baron posted:

i'm not sure there's a bethesda emoticon (there doesn't seem to be from the obvious keywords) but if there was i'd be using it as a response to this

like how do you make this possible but only have it work in the most obtuse fashion

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

Plenty of bosses go down in 2-3 stagger windows, 1-2 if you're really optimizing things. You do a ton of damage getting them broken, then a ton with the riposte, then a ton more with a charged heavy as they're getting up from it. There's the interrupt aspect as well which can be abused to enormous benefit once you have an enemy's patterns down. I'm not saying they're the same but the difference seems to be largely that in ER you're not just doing chip damage until the window, which is a concession to allowing other playstyles to not be horrible.

Anyway my point isn't that it's the same, but rather that it's in itself an insanely powerful mechanic that basically nobody complains about even if they consider doing a bleed build to be cheese despite both being 90% identical. We all recognize people complaining about it in AC6 is funny, this is just a layer of top of that.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's Radahn all over again. People talked about how the nerf ruined him yet all they did was fix his hitboxes which were straight out broken and larger than intended or visualized and dropped his damage.

That one was extra stupid because the game is at its best when the hitboxes are accurate and you can make small movements to dodge.

Post-nerf Radahn is definitely a lot easier even accounting for this, and it's probably entirely down to the meatballs getting a big damage nerf.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Sep 11, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
gotcha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol just had a starfield ng+ where I walked into the lodge everyone was dead