Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

On the subject of fanfest, is there anyone coming to the EU one who's not in Please Calm Down? Ten of us got tickets, and it would be nice to meet anyone else here who's too cool to be in the FC. If so come and say hello on the PCD discord https://discord.gg/HXFJJVD (link copied from OP post, I hope it still works)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They'll probably reveal Corsair and tease [Caster DPS] and female hrothgar. Plus show off a tribe/trial and a new zone, and maybe a new system if they have one.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
what are the odds that a female hrothgar will be a head honcho at That Place We're Going To

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zeruel posted:

what are the odds that a female hrothgar will be a head honcho at That Place We're Going To

I'm pretty sure at minimum we're getting a female Hrothgar guide and she's the one speaking at the end of the current short trailer they've shown (it isn't Erenville, other languages make it more clear it's a female speaker).

As far as the current leader of Tural, that's the two-headed lizard man.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

quiggy posted:

This is my first new expansion cycle. Should we be expecting news about upcoming Dawntrail stuff from the EU fanfest like the NA one or do they usually just announce stuff at the first one and keep it to that?

There are generally 4 big events for pre-expansion hype. The 3 fanfests where they will drip-feed previews to us. 1 job at EU, 2nd job at JP, we'll see fem hroth at one of them, they will announce the new raid series, probably split up between the 2. If there's new features, they're bound to show up between now and then.

The 4th big event is a media tour that will include the job update stream which they will do something like 2 weeks before Dawntrail comes out. They will go over the job changes and go a bit more in-depth into how the new jobs will play, usually enough to piece together how they will actually work. Probably be a 4 hour stream this time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Failboattootoot posted:

There are generally 4 big events for pre-expansion hype. The 3 fanfests where they will drip-feed previews to us. 1 job at EU, 2nd job at JP, we'll see fem hroth at one of them, they will announce the new raid series, probably split up between the 2. If there's new features, they're bound to show up between now and then.

The 4th big event is a media tour that will include the job update stream which they will do something like 2 weeks before Dawntrail comes out. They will go over the job changes and go a bit more in-depth into how the new jobs will play, usually enough to piece together how they will actually work. Probably be a 4 hour stream this time.

:toot: thank you

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Will this next one be where Yoshi-P dresses up as the job they uncover (almost certainly Corsair/pirate/swashbuckler/mariner equivalent)?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

HPanda posted:

Will this next one be where Yoshi-P dresses up as the job they uncover (almost certainly Corsair/pirate/swashbuckler/mariner equivalent)?

There's a very high chance he walks out in new job cosplay at EU fanfest yeah.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I will be vindicated when he walks out in full FF5 geomancer nappies and night cap.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Doomykins posted:

I will be vindicated when he walks out in full FF5 geomancer nappies and night cap.

It'll be the FFTA version and he'll be announcing playable Nu Mou at the same time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I will be vindicated when he walks out in a big stupid time mage cone hat

quiggy posted:

It'll be the FFTA version and he'll be announcing playable Nu Mou at the same time
Could still apply for Time Mage too....

e:

Imagine wanting something lame like "Painter" or "Grass Nerd" or "Dirt Nerd" and not this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

If Dawntrail adds playable Nu Mou I will finally use my ARR fantasia to become one :toxx:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The next Keynote, among release more details about the next expansion, will also feature a more complete trailer going off all the previous ones they've done, ShB/EW had three separate trailer unveilings showing off more and more.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I remember ShB’s 3 versions, but EW also had 3? I remember the first version, but don’t remember another one until the final version. What was different between 2nd and 3rd?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think EW only had two, since there were only two EW showcases instead of the three fanfests

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I appreciate that they try to have something special for every Fanfest in relation to expansions, instead of having one region become the "main" one. It's nice when the right thing to do in terms of respect for the audience is also the right thing to do for marketing buzz.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I challenge Gogo and his dumb bullshit mimic stuff. Last night I finally beat #29 in the carnival and unlocked angel whisper.

Blue Mage is giving me gray hair.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

quiggy posted:

This is my first new expansion cycle. Should we be expecting news about upcoming Dawntrail stuff from the EU fanfest like the NA one or do they usually just announce stuff at the first one and keep it to that?

To give you a better idea on what others have said, here's an overview of the various ShB FanFests. (If anyone takes only one thing from this post, I recommend watching all three trailers, just to see how different each one gets back-to-back. Then rewatch Dawntrail's first trailer.)

FanFest 1:
  • First trailer.
  • The name Shadowbringers and a broad release window of "Early Summer 2019."
  • Story Stuff
    • The story, covering "4.5 and beyond," involves standing together with our allies against Garlemald. "It is time, once and for all, to take down the Garlean Empire!"
    • The whole thing about the Scions going unconscious is still a big mystery, treated as a pivotal question in how things will play out.
    • While talking about characters to pay attention to in 4.5 (Solus and Elidibus!Zenos), they bring up that our conflict with the Ascians will come to a head and we'll learn what they're really doing, along with who or what Hydaelyn and Zodiark are.
    • "Most importantly," the Warrior of Light will become the Warrior of Darkness.
  • Features Stuff
    • Confirming new Jobs are coming, but no further information than to rewatch the trailer. (GNB, from a short shot of Thancred.)
    • A bunch of minor stuff (level cap, new actions, addressing action bar bloat, removing TP and adding an indicator for healer's shields)
    • Two new areas: Rak'tika and Amh Araeng, screenshots only.
    • Nu Mou reputation tribe, alongside Pixies and Dwarves.
    • Adding endgame content for DoH/L in the Ishgard restoration.
    • Three new systems: Trusts, New Game + and World Visit.
  • As things wind down they announce one more playable race, and that it will probably be the last. Yoshida then very clearly shows off his shirt with a massive Bugs Bunny on the back he's been hiding the whole time.
  • Then the SE CEO comes out and they announce BLU coming in 4.5.

FanFest 2
  • Second trailer, which includes the launch date.
  • Yoshida comes out in GNB cosplay, and announces it as one of the new Jobs.
  • After that they jump into an overview of announcements from the last FanFest, with some new stuff sprinkled in. I'm only going to mention the new stuff.
    • 4.5 is out, but there's still answers coming in 4.55. (Sidenote: a question to the audience about where we're going in 5.0 brings up the moon, and Yoshida jokingly says that's 7.0.)
    • Info, with video this time, on Rak'tika (including LA HEE) and Il Mheg.
    • They wanted to announce some info about the 8-player raid but it wasn't ready in time, so they'll do it in the 3rd FanFest.
    • The Ishgard Restoration, while primarily endgame content, will cover lower levels as well.
    • Screenshot of Trusts, with Thancred, Urianger and Y'shtola.
  • Moving on to "new stuff," they start with info on the Pixies tribe, including some art of Titania.
  • They announce two guest collaborators for the Alliance Raid, Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro, and reveal the YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse name.
  • Next is the new race, the Viangaa, which is a mix between Viera and Bangaa. They then move on to the real announcement of Viera and reconfirm that it will be the last race.
  • Then they end by going over what's in the Collector's Edition and preorder info, and some pointed questions to drive speculation. (The next Job, where we're going, what the new city is.)
  • Garlemald is mentioned offhand at the beginning and never again.

FanFest 3
  • Third, and final, trailer.
  • Our first actual announcement after some joking around and wink-wink-nudge-nudge is that ShB takes place on another shard of Hydaelyn, the First, and specifically within Norvrandt, the only remaining area.
  • There's a ton of little story and lore bits Yoshida drops throughout which I'm not going to mention. Just know that with them finally revealing the First as our destination, there's a lot of little things they would have told us before but couldn't without that info.
  • Yoshida starts talking about the new large city, the Crystarium, by showing us some video of it.
  • Next is going over the new small city, Eulmore.
  • More zone info with Lakeland.
  • Screenshots for some dungeons. No footage, since they're still being balanced.
  • A bunch of recapping follows, with no new information worth mentioning here. (Just to reiterate, there's so much new incidental story and lore tidbits sprinkled throughout all of this that I'm not adding.)
  • After that, we get DNC announced as the other new Job.
  • Next is the Dwarves tribe info, including the reveal that they're the First's lalafells.
  • We get the reveal of Sin Eaters as our enemies, along with some art of Innocence.
  • Yoshida then teases the 8-player raid with a piece of art, of a small spot of grass and a singular taller shoot surrounded by a wasteland. He also announces Tetsuya Nomura as the designer for one character and one boss in the raid, and reveals Gaia.
  • Hrothgar are announced, as Viera are female only so the Hrothgar are male only.
  • Yoshida then starts closing things out, saying that while this is the last FanFest there's still a few months to go and plenty of information they'll be spreading between now and release.
  • Garlemald isn't mentioned at all.

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 11, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

He's going to walk out dressed as one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, confirming Playable Kojin.

Female Hrothgar will have their status updated to Delayed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onean posted:

FanFest 3
  • Yoshida then teases the 8-player raid with a piece of art, of a small spot of grass and a singular taller shoot surrounded by a wasteland. He also announces Tetsuya Nomura as the designer for one character and one boss in the raid, and reveals Gaia.

I could probably look it up myself, but which boss did he do? My guess would be either E4 or E8.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Onean posted:

Garlemald isn't mentioned at all.

I remember being an early adopter of the "Yo... I don't think we're actually going to Garlemald" view. There were a great deal of people that really clung on to the "We're going to finally take down the Garlean Empire" as indication that the entire expansion would be us invading Garlemald.

For me, the nail in the coffin of that theory is when they showed us Rak'tika. If the expansion was about invading Garlemald, we would have seen some... Garlean architecture somewhere... anywhere. After seeing Rak'tika, there was the realization that nothing they showed us had any Garlean designs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bruceski posted:

I could probably look it up myself, but which boss did he do? My guess would be either E4 or E8.

From what I can find - https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1332289289317736459

So looks like E12 was the Nomura design.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

From what I can find - https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1332289289317736459

So looks like E12 was the Nomura design.

They say "fourth boss", how do you get E12 from that?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's the fourth boss of the last tier.

Edit; to clarify, if someone is commenting about "Futures Rewritten" (5.4), then talking about the fourth boss would be talking about e12

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It's the fourth boss of the last tier.

Edit; to clarify, if someone is commenting about "Futures Rewritten" (5.4), then talking about the fourth boss would be talking about e12

...I get my expansion numbers mixed up yet again, with the talk earlier being about fanfests I skimmed over that and parsed it as Stormblood.4

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doomykins posted:

Why would he walk out in literally the worst, shittiest version of the job? :confused:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man i forgot they literally said shadowbringers was gonna be about taking down Garlemald lmao

also i remember a lot of hemming and hawing about "why are we going to the First? we're supposed to be fighting garlemald! is this just a FILLER expansion???? is this expansion going to even MATTER in the long run????" that sounds very similar to what some people are currently saying about Dawntrail :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kerrzhe posted:

man i forgot they literally said shadowbringers was gonna be about taking down Garlemald lmao
I think people assumed the "Now is the time to take the fight to the Garlean empire!!" meant that, when in fact it meant that we rolled through the Ghimlyt Dark and blew up enough Garlean materiel that they were stalling, as well as having our Close Encounter with Zenos/Elidibus.

From the perspective of someone not privy to Shadowbringers, the Warrior of Light did it again :tm: and after a couple of months to regroup, massive towers showed up everywhere and apparently Garlemald just poo poo itself and died. I imagine the sentiment of the smallfolk was "lol, lmao."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if they do geomancer for the caster I just wanna say the ffxi AF is very charming and is also started in the western region expansion

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kerrzhe posted:

also i remember a lot of hemming and hawing about "why are we going to the First? we're supposed to be fighting garlemald! is this just a FILLER expansion???? is this expansion going to even MATTER in the long run????" that sounds very similar to what some people are currently saying about Dawntrail :v:

Yeah, something I didn't mention but noticed while rewatching those keynotes was how much seemingly innocuous or offhand stuff Yoshida and Koji were saying that was actually pretty drat important in the long run, for ShB and ultimately EW wrapping up the Hydaelyn-Zodiark saga. I might do it again just for myself in a couple years for Dawntrail out of curiosity.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They are gonna announce that Sakaguchi is designing the next 24 man I can't wait.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thanks for this, nice historical context! I'm also going to take this opportunity now to predict that Tural is a psyop and we're actually going to [spins a big wheel] literally the setting from FF13.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There are a couple really really obvious cuts in the Dawntrail trailer as well.

A few that stand out to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGE1-I2T6Y
1:07 - Something is crashing through the trees, cut to a giant dead alligator-like monster. This will probably be used as a point to show off a fight. Maybe a new class? Maybe a reveal that Zero is there too tag-teaming with Estinien?

1:36 - Y'shtola looks down but it's not a smooth cut to the G'raha scene. Probably another misc. scene will be put between those two.

1:53 - Urianger is looking toward the top of a building. There is a zoom in, but we cut back to the ship. There's probably something that he's looking toward that we'll get in the next trailers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaggitz posted:

They are gonna announce that Sakaguchi is designing the next 24 man I can't wait.

God, that'd be sick.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zaggitz posted:

Please please please

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

There are a couple really really obvious cuts in the Dawntrail trailer as well.

A few that stand out to me:

1:07 - Something is crashing through the trees, cut to a giant dead alligator-like monster. This will probably be used as a point to show off a fight. Maybe a new class? Maybe a reveal that Zero is there too tag-teaming with Estinien?

1:36 - Y'shtola looks down but it's not a smooth cut to the G'raha scene. Probably another misc. scene will be put between those two.

1:53 - Urianger is looking toward the top of a building. There is a zoom in, but we cut back to the ship. There's probably something that he's looking toward that we'll get in the next trailers.

God I fuckin love this trailer. Anyway, I'd bet you're right about 1:07 being Zero showing up. !:36 I'm going to take a random stab and guess it should actually be cutting to Krile there (mostly because she looks down with surprise and Krile's the only one short enough for that to make sense). I actually don't think there's a weird cut at 1:53. I'd wager, like most people, that 1:26 is a cut and we'll get the full job reveal of the WoL there.

I think Krile may also show up at 1:07 but that's for meta reasons. Mainly, if she's showing off a new job she's gotta be in a fight somewhere.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

some of their trailer editing decisions are questionable, like the full shadowbringers trailer gutting that excellent running cut from wol to thandcred or the endwalker trailer hanging on the moon silently for a few seconds.

but the dawntrailer is kinda all over the place so I guess it wont be as bad here

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Krile gonna show up just splashing paint everywhere as the new paintsy magic class.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

if this is Krile's debut and it's saving Estinian it would be ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Countblanc posted:

if this is Krile's debut and it's saving Estinian it would be ideal

She has a knack for finding him when he doesn't want to be found, after all.

Don't be cowards, make Estinien/Krile/Tataru official!