Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The only instances I had crashing on PC was hitting some waypoints in a few chapters, which I had to use compatibility mode to get around it. It did run slow at times, but that was because the laptop I was using was also a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Just watch the LP.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I watched a friend play DP and it mostly worked fine, until a quirk with the port meant he literally could not defeat the final boss, we must have spent hours restarting trying to get it to work and it just never did

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I also once watched a friend do DP and it changed our friendship forever

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

For potential discussion, given the ongoing SOMA divide, here's a multipart article with creative director Thomas Grip where he goes into his intentions for the game.

Part 1

Part 2

There's a lot to chew through here.

edit: from the second half, a particularly telling response (emphases mine):

Soma was some good eating for me as a fan of existential horror and it’s alarming rich people are still going on about downloading your brain to cheat death as if that means you’ll retain your consciousness and not just create a copy at best. I do think they flubbed the order of endings, they should’ve given the uplifting vision first then go back to underwater. They undercut the poignancy probably because they were afraid of letting down the audience from feeling rewarded.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

Soma was some good eating for me as a fan of existential horror and it’s alarming rich people are still going on about downloading your brain to cheat death as if that means you’ll retain your consciousness and not just create a copy at best. I do think they flubbed the order of endings, they should’ve [ending]

I must be editing the footage in my mind for the better version because I thought that was how the game ended, with the beautiful scene being shown and then cutting back to the underwater one then the game ending in darkness.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1699894056330166434?s=20

Well, isn't that nice for ol' Bloober Team! Never heard of Feardemic though, let's just see...

oh i see

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

gently caress me they're making it really hard to be hopeful. I get it, you arrange an award so you can get hype but usually you aren't giving it to yourself. Cheaper I guess? But the cost in already low good will is astounding.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
And the CharlestonJew Foundation Award for Best Poster goes to... *opens envelope* ME! Oh my God! Thank you so much!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Have we even seen any concrete previews of the sh2 remake besides trailers?

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

gently caress me they're making it really hard to be hopeful.

Im so excited to see how much of a car crash it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I must be editing the footage in my mind for the better version because I thought that was how the game ended, with the beautiful scene being shown and then cutting back to the underwater one then the game ending in darkness.

Other way around. Rewatching it yeah I’m just as disappointed with how it just fades to black abruptly to credits and that would’ve been more powerful if the order was reversed as an after credits scene that boots you back to the title.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ineffiable posted:

Have we even seen any concrete previews of the sh2 remake besides trailers?

Nope, just the one trailer they showed.

I really hope it doesn't suck, but I do not have much optimism for it right now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Nope, just the one trailer they showed.

I really hope it doesn't suck, but I do not have much optimism for it right now.

Yeah I'm gonna feel bad for them if they really put a lot of effort into it, it has to be the remake that people are angriest about.

I'll buy it just to show support for the franchise, I hope they decide to do SH1. That needs a remake way, way, way more than SH2

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lol I watched that stupid 4 hour stream of horror games the other day so I could say "Huh that looks neat" to like two or three games and then laugh at the "Silent Hill Ascension" trailer that confirmed it was indeed not something I have any interest in interacting with.

Also for the love of God, don't do 4 hour god drat streams of trailers, I honestly can't remember half of what was shown other than a WWI trench horror game that I can't even remember the name of.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3kMdq9k00U0?si=BHpZW42t_-n90_sQ

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

joylessdivision posted:

Lol I watched that stupid 4 hour stream of horror games the other day so I could say "Huh that looks neat" to like two or three games and then laugh at the "Silent Hill Ascension" trailer that confirmed it was indeed not something I have any interest in interacting with.

Also for the love of God, don't do 4 hour god drat streams of trailers, I honestly can't remember half of what was shown other than a WWI trench horror game that I can't even remember the name of.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3kMdq9k00U0?si=BHpZW42t_-n90_sQ

I believe ww1 trench horror is likely ad infinitum

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 12, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The horror is war*

*most likely

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So from what I can see, Silent Hill 2 still doesn't have an official release date, but there's some expectation for the end of September based on leaked info? Seems weird not to know for sure for a game that would fit in or near spooky month when we're only a few weeks away from that.

Not that I care very much, there are already a couple big hitters coming up in October that I'm going to play first, and SH2 is really looking like a "wait for reviews, and maybe get around to playing based on those" kinda game.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I kept dying over and over in Fatal Frame, and mostly gave up on the game. Today, I realised that you're supposed to be able to see the ghosts and it was a problem with the video configuration settings on my emulator. The game is way more enjoyable now. Just posting this here in case other people have this issue.

I've reached the first boss (I think?), but got too spooked and closed the window before fighting it, going to tackle it again tomorrow in the daylight. :ohdear:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Fatal Frame’s entire gimmick is so good for making enemy encounters feel so much more stressful than other survival horror. Making you wait until the exact last second before attacking made me sweat more than anything I’ve ever played.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't get scared by games in general even though I really enjoy horror games, but Fatal Frame 1 & 2 are games that I tend to only play in the daytime because they really spook me for whatever reason. Very good games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Fatal Frame is my favorite survival horror series. :allears: They're scary as hell, and I love the V I B E S.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fatal Frame is terrifying and I'd struggle to play it myself

Which means it's king horror game in my book

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm a huge baby with horror games and I stopped playing Fatal Frame because it just didn't get me at all? I wanna say the camera mechanic is too arcadey and bringing scores and critical hits in is just too gamey and brings me out of it.

And this is someone who had to quit REmake because she couldn't handle the stress of walking down a corridor with an ominously placed window

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Read After Burning posted:

Fatal Frame is my favorite survival horror series. :allears: They're scary as hell, and I love the V I B E S.

This

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ALERT squirrel stapler is now a standalone game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2535830/Squirrel_Stapler/

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Chatrapati posted:

I kept dying over and over in Fatal Frame, and mostly gave up on the game. Today, I realised that you're supposed to be able to see the ghosts and it was a problem with the video configuration settings on my emulator.

lmao how the hell did you play the game

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
They're ghosts. They can turn invisible!

e: ...Ah! Ah! Ha!

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 13, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

They're ghosts. They can turn invisible!

Solid advice from a trustable username

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I kept dying over and over in Fatal Frame, and mostly gave up on the game. Today, I realised that you're supposed to be able to see the ghosts and it was a problem with the video configuration settings on my emulator. The game is way more enjoyable now. Just posting this here in case other people have this issue.

I've reached the first boss (I think?), but got too spooked and closed the window before fighting it, going to tackle it again tomorrow in the daylight. :ohdear:

You weren't playing Enemy Zero were you?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I never played the Dread X Collections, so this was a real treat to play thru. Only took about an hour, but it has a lot of Szymanski charm to it. Sort of wished (ending)God was more than just a static jumpscare. He really builds up the arrival nicely.

also, I heard the whisper, "come back" while quietly stalking a squirrel. That was super creepy, and I wish more had been done with that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chatrapati posted:

Looks like somebody forgot to equip their Horror Monitor.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

Soma was some good eating for me as a fan of existential horror and it’s alarming rich people are still going on about downloading your brain to cheat death as if that means you’ll retain your consciousness and not just create a copy at best. I do think they flubbed the order of endings, they should’ve given the uplifting vision first then go back to underwater. They undercut the poignancy probably because they were afraid of letting down the audience from feeling rewarded.

What I like about horror in general is that they are more likely to not have a happy Hollywood ending. I'm tired of media needing everything to be a feel-good adventure, so it's refreshing to get something different. The whole story repeatedly hit you over the head with you not magically appearing in the new location so it ending with you stuck in the same place is exactly what had to happen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gromit posted:

What I like about horror in general is that they are more likely to not have a happy Hollywood ending. I'm tired of media needing everything to be a feel-good adventure, so it's refreshing to get something different. The whole story repeatedly hit you over the head with you not magically appearing in the new location so it ending with you stuck in the same place is exactly what had to happen.

gently caress it I like a happy ending. Soma is a little different because there is a happy ending, just not for everyone, which is fine, but the goals get accomplished in the end. What would've been real lovely is something like the stuff gets uploaded but then the probe fails/gets destroyed or something like that, which sometimes is the kind of ending horror movies/games go for.

I just don't like it when protagonists work the entire film towards something, whether that goal is simply survival or something else, and just fail in the end. Not my cup of tea.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I just don't like it when protagonists work the entire film towards something, whether that goal is simply survival or something else, and just fail in the end. Not my cup of tea.

Yeah, hear that (dark pictures anthology spoiler) Little Hope?! "They weren't redeemed" gently caress you

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I don't think anyone gets a happy ending in Soma, the personalities uploaded to the probe are basically doomed to float through space on a hunk of metal until it loses power

szary fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 13, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

szary posted:

I don't think anyone gets a happy ending in Soma, the personalities uploaded to the probe are basically doomed to float through space on a hunk of metal until it loses power

A world of imaginary paradise before abruptly ceasing to exist? Like any single poster here wouldn't sign up immediately if continuity wasn't an issue.

VVV Given the alternative in SOMA it isn't much of a choice.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 13, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's insane homie

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

szary posted:

Yeah it has my vote for maybe bleakest game ever. When you meet the last human being alive and euthanize them because they're on the bottom of the ocean and dying it's just so loving dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I mean it's a combination of techlord tropes from the era, complete with grey goo. The only thing it's missing is Elon welcoming you to his satellite and sending you to the digital tesla factory for your first shift.