Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I'm looking at a new kitchen sink adventure pack (currently eyeballing Prominence II) and there's a real lack of the tactility of the old magic mods nowadays. Ars Nouveau is fine and all, but the raw fuckery of essentia or starlight was irritating, but rewarding. I wish Mana and Artifice didn't go SO hard in the wrong direction, I thought the spell crafting was pretty cool, but really rigid and expensive.

Botania is just glorpy in a way that Thaumcraft was always objectively worse at being, but at least it felt like you were doing a magic when you're hucking poo poo into a cauldron or building a big enchanter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.

I really liked RedPower2 and using it's braided cable and "gates in a block" stuff to wire up some ridiculous stuff that would have been beyond me to do with pure redstone.

From perusing NEI in my current pack it looks like it lives on in one way or another but I haven't delved into it much yet.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Arrath posted:

I really liked RedPower2 and using it's braided cable and "gates in a block" stuff to wire up some ridiculous stuff that would have been beyond me to do with pure redstone.

From perusing NEI in my current pack it looks like it lives on in one way or another but I haven't delved into it much yet.

RedPower2 was the coolest mod with its moving circuits and colored wires and sorting system.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and its worldgen volcanos

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

and its 1mbit per tick per player network traffic

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

For farming crops, do you prefer to have mixed farms with the outputs getting sorted/filtered, or distinct patches for carrots, potatoes etc.?
In the earliest days of modding and item pipes I had a fantasy of having the outputs of everything going down one belt or vertical drop to the storage system. Centerpiece of a room seeing all this crap funneling through.

In actual gameplay I end up with separate storage for every machine for all its specific outputs. Nowadays with Create I’m a big fan of some kinda drawer mod locked to a specific item and upgraded to void excess, a Create funnel inputting into it from the side of a belt. Auto filter and void excess while seeing the early part of the belt full of all the farm outputs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Man I forgot about those. Stop making me want to play Tekkit on, like, 1.2.5

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb posted:

RedPower2 was the coolest mod with its moving circuits and colored wires and sorting system.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and its 1mbit per tick per player network traffic

We were all young once. I still like the item pipes but I'm sure they're better in my memories.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
RedPower2 you say? Here's some Sphax, for good measure.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know if there's anything in FTB: Skies for a general redstone signal cable? That's something I have been missing in newer packs. There used to be a few mods that would replace dropping redstone powder all over with an actual cable but I only know of EnderIO now. That one's cable is very finicky and I have not had the best luck with it. I think the old MFR rednet cables were the most consistent and compatible.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm permanently stuck in 1.7.10. What's "ponder"?

Devor posted:

It's an in-game animation/browser that gives interactive information about a multiblock, particularly what pieces make it up

That's missing one of the best parts: Having a parrot shaking its little rear end around being the main point-of-focus of all the animations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like FTB:S has Supplementaries. Cog Blocks can do that job. Not as precise as some cables are, but works.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man I've been playing all the new games coming out and just kinda wanna play more modded Minecraft. I'm pushing 40 and I think I'm entering the phase where I just wanna play my comfort games.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

Man I've been playing all the new games coming out and just kinda wanna play more modded Minecraft. I'm pushing 40 and I think I'm entering the phase where I just wanna play my comfort games.

I feel this way with GTNH. May take a break for a couple weeks here and there but always come back for more building. Probably something to do with the constant small progress.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That's been me with Vault Hunters 3. A friend and I game a few days a week and we just end up doing Warframe and Minecraft in alternating cycles. Might be time to get back to Valheim or V Rising, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

For farming crops, do you prefer to have mixed farms with the outputs getting sorted/filtered, or distinct patches for carrots, potatoes etc.?
Hopper botany pots, usually.

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.
I think somebody recently picked up Thaumcraft and is porting it to current versions.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Ive been playing Statech Industry and it's been pretty fun, it bills itself as a fresh take on gregtech formula, but I've never gregged so I cant say how true that is.

Its got a cool magic mod in there called Spectrum which is colour magic, its been a bit light on actual spells but I can fling ink at enemies using my giant paintbrush and it's got fun crafts that remind me of stuff from astral sorcery, like glass you can pass through and mobs cant.

Ive only just reached steam/bronze machines with it but it seems promising. Its also fabric and runs amazing, truly cant get enough of fabric mods.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm going slightly insane with a MC related matter and I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction as I haven't really actively thought about the game in about a decade or so. I'm pretty certain I actually purchased and own a copy of the game, but I can't actually tell or prove it.

I've got purchase confirmation emails from late 2011 for the Colbat game Mojang was involved with but not actually any for Minecraft actual. Similarly, logging into my Mojang account referenced in the emails from back then has no indication of owning the game. Would there be any possible way that I was somehow using a free version of it in 2012ish to play on custom servers and so on? As best I can tell, maybe?

I remember you had to go to Mojang's website actual to change your skins and so on, so clearly there is/was an account with the game. Similarly I remember sinking time into Feed The Beast and Better Than Wolves and the hunger system being new so that puts me down as being active with the game around early 2011 give or take. I'm going to have to get in touch with Paypal to see if they can pull transactions from back that far or something.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Minecraft was free for a while but I'm blanking on whether that was before or after servers and MP became a thing. Similarly went digging through my own old emails but it was either deleted (likely) or never sent a confirmation so I dunno.

E: There was also the demos for a while? Google is saying you could use the demo to join servers in creative only mode.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
mp was a thing when it was free, I kinda miss being confined to a big cube in a void

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Warbird posted:

I've got purchase confirmation emails from late 2011 for the Colbat game Mojang was involved with but not actually any for Minecraft actual. Similarly, logging into my Mojang account referenced in the emails from back then has no indication of owning the game.

They are forcing everyone to migrate to a Microsoft account now. Did you get any of the many emails about migrating? If so then that means you own it. If not then you either don’t own it or you bought it with a different email address, or maybe you have a username only Mojang account not attached to an email, which might have been possible in the early days.

Have you tried actually downloading the latest launcher and logging in to that with the Mojang account you know about?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yep and no dice there or with my MCS account. PayPal is sending me a list of transactions from around the time I would have likely bought it so we’ll see what that reveals.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at a new kitchen sink adventure pack (currently eyeballing Prominence II) and there's a real lack of the tactility of the old magic mods nowadays. Ars Nouveau is fine and all, but the raw fuckery of essentia or starlight was irritating, but rewarding. I wish Mana and Artifice didn't go SO hard in the wrong direction, I thought the spell crafting was pretty cool, but really rigid and expensive.

Botania is just glorpy in a way that Thaumcraft was always objectively worse at being, but at least it felt like you were doing a magic when you're hucking poo poo into a cauldron or building a big enchanter.

i recommend avoiding prominence ii and anything else by lunapixel studios. that pack in particular is a rebranded "better mc" with exactly all the baggage and mess that pack had. it's extremely buggy and unpolished with far more focus on getting youtubers to do 100 days videos in their modpack instead of actually making it playable.

i pretty much only spend time in kitchen sink packs when i want to play minecolonies but my opinion right now is that valhesia 6 is probably the most mature 1.20.1 pack at the moment but the scene isnt really there yet. i caused an insane ecological disaster using nature's aura where everything in a 20 chunk radius started choking to death because i didnt understand how the aura system worked and it took me like eight hours of work to unfuck that so jank magic systems certainly do still exist in modern minecraft

you might also be interested in a modpack with hex casting? i haven't tried it but ive watched demonstrations and it looks really novel and interesting

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just an update:

Echophonic posted:

Looks like FTB:S has Supplementaries. Cog Blocks can do that job. Not as precise as some cables are, but works.

Those did seem to work. Yeah, I can't exclude them from touching some adjacent stuff since they're just blocks, but they did the job and also animate when enabled. That does help see what's going on at a far glance.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whelp, no PayPal records of a purchase during the span of time that I would have made it so I’m likely SOL. Oh well. I wonder if it is possible I was playing on a illegitimate copy or something, though I never really was into that sort of thing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Warbird posted:

Whelp, no PayPal records of a purchase during the span of time that I would have made it so I’m likely SOL. Oh well. I wonder if it is possible I was playing on a illegitimate copy or something, though I never really was into that sort of thing.

Guess you gotta buy it! Never paid for it, good time to do it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ketchupface posted:

i recommend avoiding prominence ii and anything else by lunapixel studios. that pack in particular is a rebranded "better mc" with exactly all the baggage and mess that pack had. it's extremely buggy and unpolished with far more focus on getting youtubers to do 100 days videos in their modpack instead of actually making it playable.

i pretty much only spend time in kitchen sink packs when i want to play minecolonies but my opinion right now is that valhesia 6 is probably the most mature 1.20.1 pack at the moment but the scene isnt really there yet. i caused an insane ecological disaster using nature's aura where everything in a 20 chunk radius started choking to death because i didnt understand how the aura system worked and it took me like eight hours of work to unfuck that so jank magic systems certainly do still exist in modern minecraft

you might also be interested in a modpack with hex casting? i haven't tried it but ive watched demonstrations and it looks really novel and interesting

Oh, good to know. I also had to launch it with Curseforge and not GDLauncher, so that was a mark against it, too.

I think I tried Hex Casting in All the Magic: Spellbound, was interesting, but I didn't dig the drawing. Felt like it slotted in somewhere near Psi in terms of being a pain in the rear end and requiring a deeper knowledge of the mechanics (or just matrix math in Psi's case) to get really deep into.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Years ago I made a goon server that was just magic mods, it was surprisingly fun! There were some weird interactions though and I had to add a mod that let me make new formulas because of the overlap. I'd probably bring the server back if Thaumcraft ever returned.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one I miss more than anything was the primordial desert world generator. I wish there was one that added a worldgen type rather than require an outside program to generate an X by Y sized world. It was my favorite, having to survive in a world with almost no dirt or trees, the first day traversing the dunes as fast as possible to find an oasis so you could build wooden tools to harvest enough sand to build a tiny hut to hide in overnight. Massive volcanoes and mountain ranges cut through the desert, and pyramids and temples would rarely appear, allowing access to an immense crisscrossing network of labyrinths and huge lava tube caverns where ores could be found. The labyrinths had traps like pitfalls with pressure plates on sand, which would drop you down to bedrock, and sections of tunnel encircled with hidden dynamite, with a chicken spawner that would activate when you got near and the chicken would eventually wander onto a pressure plate to kick it off, blasting a massive hole in the terrain. Creeper spawners in ceiling alcoves that would drop down and explode on you. It ruled

This was like, one of the first "mods" so a current version would be wild. I could still use it now but, like, the generator I think was from before villagers were added even.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I also really want thaumcraft to return. I miss accidentally opening a dimensional rift in my lab and weird whispers when I'm in games alone.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Vib Rib posted:

This is why I abandoned ATM8 partway through and started playing E2:E again. :v: It's really hard to leave behind my comfort zones in 1.12.2 and 1.7.10. I just wish somebody had ported Thaumcraft 4 to 1.12.2 - I intensely dislike some of the changes made to TC6 (most notably the gatcha game-esque research and the elimination of nodes and set wand foci). I'm the odd sicko who really likes TC4's research minigame and thought it was really inventive and challenging, instead of the "roll the dice and hope you didn't waste 20 pieces of paper on nothing" nature of TC6.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Having a struggle in AllTheMods8, how do I get refined storage to make a thing if I have a certain amount or more of another item, my attempt to do this was a detector looking to see how much inferium essence I have (1k or more) and emits a redstone signal if true, it sends a signal to an exporter that requires a redstone signal set to export the next level essence with a crafting upgrade installed that is pointed to an interface to just feed it back into the network. I think the issue is that since I do have some of the teir 2 essence it just ends up sending the existing stuff instead of making new essence, I know there has to be a way to do this I am just entirely too dumb to figure it out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
When I did ATM 8, I went with mechanical crafters for all that junk. Just dump whatever in there, lock some slots for the crystal if needed and just auto-export any essence I get into the right one.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Echophonic posted:

When I did ATM 8, I went with mechanical crafters for all that junk. Just dump whatever in there, lock some slots for the crystal if needed and just auto-export any essence I get into the right one.

Ok yeah using the TE crafter makes this work, thought it could be done just in Refined Storage but this works fine.

Thank you.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Spectrum is pretty neat now that I got past the initial steps of finding the three types of gems. Reminds me of astral sorcery a bit where you have to build a structure around the stations and the cool animations and sounds. Not a fan of needing to craft at specific times like midnight on a new moon though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ash Rose posted:

Ok yeah using the TE crafter makes this work, thought it could be done just in Refined Storage but this works fine.

Thank you.

I've never quite gotten the hang of Crafting cards in either RS or AE, so I just brute force it. I was under the impression that crafting cards just request stuff from an existing crafting setup.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Came back to this mess of a game (I love it) after a while but ran into a stutter issue.

I’m in Curseforge GTNH and every time I open a recipe, I start getting regular lag spikes that go away after a full game reset. I read up on some GitHub thread its a known issue with smth called BlockRenderer and I should disable it, however I have no idea how to do it - clicking Disable in the mod settings does nothin and removing it by hand from the GTNH folder also didn’t seem to do anything :shrug: How do I remove that blasted mod?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mokotow posted:

Came back to this mess of a game (I love it) after a while but ran into a stutter issue.

I’m in Curseforge GTNH and every time I open a recipe, I start getting regular lag spikes that go away after a full game reset. I read up on some GitHub thread its a known issue with smth called BlockRenderer and I should disable it, however I have no idea how to do it - clicking Disable in the mod settings does nothin and removing it by hand from the GTNH folder also didn’t seem to do anything :shrug: How do I remove that blasted mod?

That sounds more like it's Java garbage collection being terrible. If you don't mind going to a little extra effort, switch to Prism Launcher, download a java9+ version of GTNH, and configure Prism to use Java 17, 18, 19, or 20. Curseforge bundles an ancient version of Java 8 with terrible garbage collection, and some absolute madwoman figured out how to run GTNH, and only GTNH, on newer Java versions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
+1 for prism and running a newer jdk - personally use 19. Easily doubles the performance.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If I remember correctly, GTNH specifically says to not use the Curseforge version of the pack as opposed to the one on Technic Launcher. I used the Technic one for my playthrough earlier this year and had no issues to report, and my PC is nowhere near top of the line either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

If I remember correctly, GTNH specifically says to not use the Curseforge version of the pack as opposed to the one on Technic Launcher. I used the Technic one for my playthrough earlier this year and had no issues to report, and my PC is nowhere near top of the line either.

Yeah, Curseforge doesn't really work too well with GTNH.

The problem is custom mods. Curseforge doesn't really have a mechanism that allows for anyone other than the original author to publish a version of a mod to its platform. GTNH has a LOT of forked, modified versions of mods (since 1.7.10 is largely abandonware.) In order to reconcile this, the pack has to have a secondary downloader pull down the changed mods. This process is fragile and Curseforge will randomly screw it up by overwriting mods, so it's unreliable.