Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

HellaSecure posted:

Beat the Quake 2 remaster. Overall good, the Ray tracing makes a huge difference. However I was disappointed that it was pretty unstable. Crashed a few times while playing and I had to force it to run with DirectX. Even then it crashed once. And the music on most levels would fall to repeat, so part way through the level it would just go silent.

Uhh... wrong port? There's no raytracing in the remaster.

Music isn't supposed to always repeat. It's explicitly vanilla behavior that music only loops a set number of times before switching to track 11, and completing all objectives in a level stops music completely.
Did you not wonder why it was that the music stopped when you did something extremely specific? This specific "bug report" gets repeated by people far too often and I'm forced to wonder if cause and effect is just lost on people these days.

Your crashing may be tied to a thread stall bug that occurs on specific CPUs (or at the very least specific system configurations) that we have a patch planned for to work around whatever that hot nonsense is.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HellaSecure posted:

Beat the Quake 2 remaster. Overall good, the Ray tracing makes a huge difference.

:confused: the new remaster doesn't have ray tracing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It does have fancy shadowing and lighting effects though, I think that's what they mean

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Judging by some posts I've seen, some people seem to think raytracing = shadows. I saw someone angrily insisting a SNES game had raytracing because of shadows.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Rayman had ray tracing. It had all the rays.

That's just how that game rolled.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

:aaaaa:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I guess one could be forgiven for confusing the Quake II remaster with Quake II RTX, which are both arguably remasters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I will not forgive them

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

They must learn through suffering.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I will not forgive them

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
But Quake 2 is a game all about forgiveness!!!

Probably. Not sure anyone really followed the story that closely.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

dr_rat posted:

But Quake 2 is a game all about forgiveness!!!

Probably. Not sure anyone really followed the story that closely.

no that was the sequel, quake: 4giveness

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Convex posted:

no that was the sequel, quake: 4giveness

So Quake: 2gther was the one all about the power of friendship?

Hmm, yes that does make sense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bitterman learns to love... himself

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
One of the Call of the Machine marines is called Positivity. Give me a spin-off about that guy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bitterman, changed by his experiences, accepts the new title of Caringman

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skasion posted:

One of the Call of the Machine marines is called Positivity. Give me a spin-off about that guy

that's not about his demeanor that's about shamblers grounding him to death repeatedly

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

haveblue posted:

Bitterman, changed by his experiences, accepts the new title of Caringman

Give me an FPS about him returning to earth and opening up a dog shelter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A strogg pound

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Name Change posted:

I guess one could be forgiven for confusing the Quake II remaster with Quake II RTX, which are both arguably remasters.

they are both remasters but only one has Call of the Machine, so forgiveness isn't an option!!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Strogg is close to Dogg as in snoop dogg and snoop dogg hangs out with dr dre. Guess who also hung out with dr dre peep this: Trent reznor boom that how the lore is connected

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stroggification is what happens when the estrogen starts hittin

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Getting smoked out on Stroggos

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I could go for some Strogganoff myself

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Stroggystyle

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
and don't forget new hollywood auteur, peter stroggdanovich

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm goin' Strogg wild over here.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ngl as someone who follows this thread for early/retro FPS stuff I'm really stroggling to see the point of this derail

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leroy Dennui posted:

I'm goin' Strogg wild over here.

The current thread title is pretty old and referencing something we'd all rather not think about...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

haveblue posted:

The current thread title is pretty old and referencing something we'd all rather not think about...

What is it in reference to?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xenomrph posted:

What is it in reference to?

Between the development of Quake 1 and Quake 2, John Carmack purportedly tried to make full-spectrum nutrient milkshakes that included duck meat ("the most efficient of meats") to cut down on time spent prepping, cooking, and eating food.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ströggenbütter

haveblue posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure that in the few months since then Carmack has put his foot in his mouth over something even dumber, we're just kinda collectively choosing to ignore it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
the first man on the moon: neil armstrogg

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Between the development of Quake 1 and Quake 2, John Carmack purportedly tried to make full-spectrum nutrient milkshakes that included duck meat ("the most efficient of meats") to cut down on time spent prepping, cooking, and eating food.

Oh neat.

I do know what “milkshake duck” means, I assume Carmack said or did something idiotic?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I do know what “milkshake duck” means, I assume Carmack said or did something idiotic?

made Rage

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Oh neat.

Oh he's done that too!

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-co-creator-john-carmack-is-headlining-a-toxic-and-proud-sci-fi-convention-that-rails-against-woke-propaganda/

quote:

Doom co-creator John Carmack is headlining a 'toxic and proud' sci-fi convention that rails against 'woke propaganda'
Carmack heads the list of "guests" at the upcoming event that bill itself as a sci-fi convention for people "tired of woke propaganda."

Original story follows: Id Software co-founder and former Oculus VR CTO John Carmack is facing criticism for his recent announcement that he will be attending BasedCon, a sci-fi and fantasy convention for fans who are "tired of woke propaganda."

"I’m going to be at basedcon.com again this year," Carmack tweeted. "I had read books from and twitter-interacted with three of the authors (more since!), but I wasn’t sure what to expect last year. It turned out fun, in a grass-roots con way that reminded me of the old Space Access days.

"I was just going to show up as a normal attendee / fan of the authors last year, but Rob [presumably BasedCon fouder Robert Kroese] nudged me into doing a talk and some panels, and I enjoyed it."

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

The chud convention that Carmack attended was two days ago so it's not that out of date. Haven't seen anything about his appearance yet though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Goddamnit Carmack. :wtc:

I liked him more when his only real failing was not naming his aerospace company “Union Aerospsce Corporation”. You had ONE job, John!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jfc, Carmack too? Ugh.

Then again, he should also be thought of as an rear end in a top hat over the whole cat deal.

I'm hoping Romero isn't secretly a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Romero is secretly a luscious human hair wig that spontaneously gained life and sapience after Elizabeth Taylor farted on the set of The Taming of the Shrew (1967)