Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ah! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

EthanSteele posted:

Is Alba the Mind Alpha or do I just not have those parts unlocked on NG+ yet?

You don't have them yet

Efb

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Question: how many times do you have to beat the game to get all achievements? And what are the more difficult achievements/missable stuff that I should be on the lookout for in my new game plus?

EthanSteele posted:

I didn't like Michigan because he was such an oorah military guy, but he grew on me and on the mission where you go to beat him up he just bigs you up and as someone pointed out he knows the names of the MT operators under him. He's just a fun guy. The other Guns are bad and don't even get me started on the dang Vespers!

I liked Rusty. He called me buddy, which really made me feel valued. It was a shame when I had to end him in under a minute, he didn't even get to finish his audio parts

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

After three nights of attempts, learning how to dodge, how to break pulse shields, and how to be much more aggressive: with just 2000 AP remaining, no repair kits remaining, and the boss at ~20%, one last ditch overboost -> assault armor -> sword swipe -> stagger -> unload everything combo, and Balteus is finally down. :black101:

I am so bad at these kind of bosses but the rush you get from them at the end is exhilarating. I had to walk away from the game for an hour because of how bad my hands were shaking.

Congrats man. Honestly after Balteus I had no problem with anything else in the game. Max two or three tries on some of the more challenging ones.

Also, doing work right now so I can't show it but putting the big eyeball decal right in the front of a head part that's relatively flat looks loving badass. Then I took the foot decal (I think the first one you earn), and spread it all over making it look super crazy. My mech has maximum psychic damage before I even start shooting

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Play posted:

Question: how many times do you have to beat the game to get all achievements? And what are the more difficult achievements/missable stuff that I should be on the lookout for in my new game plus?
Clearing NG++ (so, three runs) is the minimum to get everything but the All S ranks/Every cheevo one. And those you just replay missions. You can even finish unlocking all of the parts by the mission right before the true final boss fight.

As long as you make sure to take any new missions that show up in NG/NG++, or make the opposite choices of what you did the last time through when they offer a choice.

Oh, right. Also do the last three NG++ arena fights as they show up. Apparently they are taken away once you beat NG++ for a while, because they have NG++ related dialogue.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Section Z posted:

Clearing NG++ (so, three runs) is the minimum to get everything but the All S ranks/Every cheevo one. And those you just replay missions. You can even finish unlocking all of the parts by the mission right before the true final boss fight.

As long as you make sure to take any new missions that show up in NG/NG++, or make the opposite choices of what you did the last time through when they offer a choice.

Oh, right. Also do the last three NG++ arena fights as they show up. Apparently they are taken away once you beat NG++ for a while, because they have NG++ related dialogue.

Thanks much! I guess I should make sure to double check which missions choices I made before. I know the last choice I made but not sure what the other one was, I think I didn't even realize I was choosing between two missions, thought it meant there was a choice inside each mission or something.

I assume you need all combat logs and all S ranks then? That might be a bit tough

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can always check by looking at your replay list and picking the mission that isn't on the replay list.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, what's actually good against Rusty in your first boss fight against him? I'm not saying I found him super tough, but he's so zippy that my shot-to-hit ratio was at the worst it ever was in the entire game whenever I fought him, and I'd like to know how to burn him and similarly agile AC-type enemies down fast and reliably.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Man I still cannot find a build that lets me finish the NG++ run.

I really don't get it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, what's actually good against Rusty in your first boss fight against him? I'm not saying I found him super tough, but he's so zippy that my shot-to-hit ratio was at the worst it ever was in the entire game whenever I fought him, and I'd like to know how to burn him and similarly agile AC-type enemies down fast and reliably.

Had no trouble with superlight parts, dual long range shotguns and dual shoulder laser cannons. He's fast but if you're close you'll catch him with the shotguns, catch him with both and it's instant overload then hit him with the laser cannons. Sometimes you can even get another two shots off, so a total of four point blank shotgun blasts and two laser shots will melt tons of his health bar. It's also possible to overload him again right after you just did it, I THINK.

Apart from that just be agile, dodge whatever you can and wait for the moment where he stops moving to unload.

Sometimes you need to do one shotgun blast to get him to dodge, then follow up with another which he should have more trouble dodging.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crain posted:

I really don't get it.

Some of it is about tactics. Eliminating all the adds in the first phase and ignoring the adds in the second phase is what I found to be a good way to conserve resources for the short-but-punishing third phase. I also later discovered that a Super Elcano build (two needle guns and two needle missile launchers on an Alba frame) is incredibly lethal against bosses, not least thanks to how generous it is with space for high-quality internal components. I haven't tried it on the NG++ final boss, and the limited ammo pool might present some problems, but it has a super-solid balance of mobility, durability and firepower that may well be what you need.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crain posted:

I really don't get it.
Are you Running out of ammo trying to kill everything? While it can go very wrong, rushing to kill the first form kills all the Allmind AC automatically. And getting second form to half health auto kills the flying spiders

Also the second phase of that fight is hilariously tanky. I have not done it after the patch, but even nuking them with the Earshot grenade after a stagger does about as much damage as KICKING other bosses when they stagger. No wonder my S rank was baiting them into ground level chainsaw hits enough times in a row.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I forget if you have the stun guns at that point, but they're super good against him. Think my first playthrough I used a linear rifle, plasma missles, regular missles, and the laser blade.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Crain posted:

I really don't get it.

How do you like playing, like what's your preferred build generally?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another question, for when I'm in a 'kill stuff fast' mood - what's best against Iguazu's shield in any mission where I need to down him?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Darth Walrus posted:

Another question, for when I'm in a 'kill stuff fast' mood - what's best against Iguazu's shield in any mission where I need to down him?

Pulse guns, assault armor if you boost into spitting distance, plasma anything, laser shotties.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Darth Walrus posted:

Some of it is about tactics. Eliminating all the adds in the first phase and ignoring the adds in the second phase is what I found to be a good way to conserve resources for the short-but-punishing third phase. I also later discovered that a Super Elcano build (two needle guns and two needle missile launchers on an Alba frame) is incredibly lethal against bosses, not least thanks to how generous it is with space for high-quality internal components. I haven't tried it on the NG++ final boss, and the limited ammo pool might present some problems, but it has a super-solid balance of mobility, durability and firepower that may well be what you need.

I've been trying to avoid damage and weed out the mobs in phase 1 while just laying down carpet bombs of missiles and plasma. I try ignore the mobs in phase 2 to race him down but I'm constantly losing lock on him in the fight regardless (KB+M) and I'm just unable to dodge half his poo poo, especially the phase 3 melee. It feels like I don't have any time to even breathe or learn what's happening because it's so frantic.

It feels like no matter what build I make to try and take advantage of some aspect of behavior the boss shows, when I swap the build it does completely new things that I can't loving answer. Some runs they never leave the ground, so I go face melt to try and race them and now they never touch the ground and stay high in the air spamming long range poo poo. I try to go mobility to stay in the air to fight and now it's something totally different.

I'm just rolling dice here.

PathAsc posted:

How do you like playing, like what's your preferred build generally?

I'm usually double Zimm, hyper mobility with moonlight/coral light and a wildcard weapon depending on what the mission is. Usually the needle pistol or the mini needle launchers. But when I try that suddenly every loving mob in the fight has 100% accuracy and I can't dodge anything and before I even take out half the boss AP or a single mob I'm down a repair kit and already at half AP again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing about the true final boss going high is that assault boosting up after him is surprisingly safe (provided you dodge his big obvious beam attacks). It takes him a long time to quit sitting there being a big dumb target and start doing something dangerous again - kind of like Balteus when it flies away to rain missiles on you. Chase, kick, and punish.

When he's on the ground, meanwhile, you'll mainly be using the tactics you learned against the Fires of Raven final boss. His behaviour is very similar to hers.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

turn off the TV posted:

The funniest thing about this patch is seeing people come out of the woodwork to bemoan From reducing Balteus's damage, speed, attack frequency, HP, stagger resistance, etc. I'm amazed that so many people apparently just beat the game once and never did NG+

I'm playing ng+ and balteus was a breeze. I'm sure most of that was having way better mech parts, but why do only the easy mode complainers get to complain? And does ng+ actually affect any of that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm playing ng+ and balteus was a breeze. I'm sure most of that was having way better mech parts, but why do only the easy mode complainers get to complain? And does ng+ actually affect any of that?

It does in that you'll have more OS upgrades, which are straight-up stat improvements, as well as more parts to help refine your build.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ignore the adds in phase 1 AND phase 2, IMO. The boss has shockingly low HP in phase 1 (pulse blade attacks while they're staggered hit for like 30%) and the adds disappear after the phase transition. I used an ultralight build and pulse armor to burst them down

Play
Apr 25, 2006

roomtone posted:

I'm surprised all of the balance changes seem to be in the player's favour.

I agree with buffing some of the non zimmerman and songbird weapons cos the gulf is big, but I think they could've buffed some of the non balteus bosses and ACs also.

Same. I don't mind Balteus being slightly nerfed, first time through was an absolute bitch and I was annoyed that I had to switch up my AC to beat it. Don't think IBIS or sea spider needed anything changed, and really really think that most named AC fights and other bosses should've been made more challenging.

But, overall I'm happy Zimmermans weren't nerfed and I suppose if you want things to be harder you can always make AC design choices that will do that for you.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm playing around with the burst rifles and its kinda annoying that they still usually 3 shot a grunt MT where a laser rifle can consistently two shot. Maybe once I get more OS chips in kinetic damage or I'm not firing at the right range. Still kinda fun to use and I'm liking having the extra EN regen.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm playing around with the burst rifles and its kinda annoying that they still usually 3 shot a grunt MT where a laser rifle can consistently two shot. Maybe once I get more OS chips in kinetic damage or I'm not firing at the right range. Still kinda fun to use and I'm liking having the extra EN regen.

be assured that with correct range and full kinetic upgrades the Ransetsus will 2-shot basic MTs, and be equally assured that it feels rad.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Playing with basically Steel Blaze Ortus with Zimms, Moonlight, and the mini needle launcher. I'm able to get him down to phase 3 with either 1 full AP bar or half with one repair left consistently. But I can't convert phase 3. I do no damage and trying to dodge is hilariously meaningless.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Dual laser pistols don't stagger well compared to kinetic equivalents, but if you hold a pair of charged laser cannons until the moment that stagger occurs it'll usually end the fight then and there against an AC. It was a beautiful way to end some of the first round of NG+ arena matches. Had to swap my legs around and sacrifice some speed to pull it off, but I'm still ar 352 boost speed so I'm still above one of the higher thresholds for overwhelming most tracking.

It kinda rules that you can make your AC so fast most enemies and bosses have trouble tracking you properly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

PC LPWZSLSWAB7W

Time to own allmind

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Laser pistols don't really need to stagger that much when they already do consistent damage with a high ROF. Get your stagger from shoulder guns and then let the pistols shred.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jerkface posted:

PC LPWZSLSWAB7W

Time to own allmind

don't mock my mother like that. she's the only one who loves me

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Laser pistols don't really need to stagger that much when they already do consistent damage with a high ROF. Get your stagger from shoulder guns and then let the pistols shred.

Much more logical, yes. Pity there's no shoulder energy weapon with high impact that benefits from generators. Unless there's a part I haven't found yet (or just haven't looked closely enough at).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think stun duration is controlled by total weight. This is very noticeable in enemy ACs: tetra and tank gunboats get stunned for several seconds, while Rusty's light build recovers nearly instantly.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 11, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Crain posted:

I've been trying to avoid damage and weed out the mobs in phase 1 while just laying down carpet bombs of missiles and plasma. I try ignore the mobs in phase 2 to race him down but I'm constantly losing lock on him in the fight regardless (KB+M) and I'm just unable to dodge half his poo poo, especially the phase 3 melee. It feels like I don't have any time to even breathe or learn what's happening because it's so frantic.

It feels like no matter what build I make to try and take advantage of some aspect of behavior the boss shows, when I swap the build it does completely new things that I can't loving answer. Some runs they never leave the ground, so I go face melt to try and race them and now they never touch the ground and stay high in the air spamming long range poo poo. I try to go mobility to stay in the air to fight and now it's something totally different.

I'm just rolling dice here.

I'm usually double Zimm, hyper mobility with moonlight/coral light and a wildcard weapon depending on what the mission is. Usually the needle pistol or the mini needle launchers. But when I try that suddenly every loving mob in the fight has 100% accuracy and I can't dodge anything and before I even take out half the boss AP or a single mob I'm down a repair kit and already at half AP again.

I've done the fight on both super mobile biped and heavy tetras, I'm still a bigger fan of ignoring all the mobs to focus the boss down. If you're not bursting him down then use the environment to your advantage to avoid damage when you can. There's definitely times where RNG kicks your rear end and suddenly all the mobs are insanely good immediately, but it's still doable. Just a pain in the rear end. Don't be afraid to pop assault armor in the middle of the first group right off the bat.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Crain posted:

Playing with basically Steel Blaze Ortus with Zimms, Moonlight, and the mini needle launcher. I'm able to get him down to phase 3 with either 1 full AP bar or half with one repair left consistently. But I can't convert phase 3. I do no damage and trying to dodge is hilariously meaningless.
I agree with the others to just ignore the adds and focus on the boss. Make sure to target the boss right when the battle starts so you don't have to fiddle with the mouse looking for him.

But anyways I just now S-ranked the guy on my first replay attempt after banging my head on him in story mode a couple days ago thanks to a double JVLN BETA build, which are really good at staggering him since they follow him around for so long and he doesn't appear to bother avoiding them. Other than that I had two Ransetsu-RF's for their versatility but anything with high damage, either through direct hit adjustment or just sheer attack power, will probably work at this point.
Keep your (upward) thrust speed high so that you can more easily avoid his sword swings, since a lot of them you can just thrust over/under with high enough speed, and just focus on avoiding his attacks while you launch your Javelins at him from a safe distance. They'll do most of the work for you really.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'll be the dissenting opinion and say that you should kill the adds for phase 1, they're squishy so you can kill em fast and they complicate things enough I think it's worth it.

Also, if you're using zimms, the easiest way to murder the boss(any boss, really) will be to take on some more weight and replace your shoulder weapons with dual stun needle launchers(the normal one, VE-60SNA).
Whenever you stagger the boss with your zimms(or when it's just locked in place for an animation), blast it with both launchers for shitloads of damage. You won't have to learn the fight as well if it dies that much faster.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

I'm kinda glad that I got myself a shoulder weapon that feels right with this build and new thrusters since I used nothing but the ALULA until now. Sticking with this until the end or if I feel like or forced to changing it.

Literally just blitzing through Chapter 4 with this and got to the second set of decision missions. Take on the Redguns or take on the Vespers. Probably the latter because G1 Michigan is cool and the only problem with the Redguns (G5 Iguazu) is already dead at my hands. Outside of that, beaten the Arena's A and S-Ranks, used the OST Chips to fully upgrade all types of weapon damage alongside other stuff and spend most of my 4 million COAM on all of the AC Frame Parts because I felt like spending it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm kinda glad that I got myself a shoulder weapon that feels right with this build and new thrusters since I used nothing but the ALULA until now. Sticking with this until the end or if I feel like or forced to changing it.

Literally just blitzing through Chapter 4 with this and got to the second set of decision missions. Take on the Redguns or take on the Vespers. Probably the latter because G1 Michigan is cool and the only problem with the Redguns (G5 Iguazu) is already dead at my hands. Outside of that, beaten the Arena's A and S-Ranks, used the OST Chips to fully upgrade all types of weapon damage alongside other stuff and spend most of my 4 million COAM on all of the AC Frame Parts because I felt like spending it.

:allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pyro Jack posted:

You should fight michigan because it is the most chad mission in the drat game

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, i hate that HDR games screenshot all washed-out, because i can't post

Callsign: Deviant
AC Designation: [ AD ASTRA ]

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The very next mission I played unlocked those parts and I too love the Exia.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just killed Ibis with the lance/bunker wombo combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Those chase laser drones you get (Not the turret and not the orbit) are honestly pretty good for keeping pressure on. And the charged shot hits pretty hard