Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No one is nuking anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
someday there will be a multi-national special forces group

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

mobby_6kl posted:

Cap'n Crunch too!

His first name is Horatio. I feel more people should know that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is his last name cornblower

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

If even 90% of them fail to work then you've still got 598 operational warheads that just erased civilization

gently caress that HOA poo poo, I'm butchering that cow in my back yard, like now and the neighbors can kiss my glowing green rear end later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

No one is nuking anyone.
Yeah it's a real shame

Lammasu posted:

His first name is Horatio. I feel more people should know that.

Thanks but I prefer to use his title I think

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Tai posted:

No one is nuking anyone.

False. I just made a delicious bag of popcorn.

checkmate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

someday there will be a multi-national special forces group

Is there no NATO version? Surely the separate special forces train together.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

redshirt posted:

Is there no NATO version? Surely the separate special forces train together.

you are describing the A-Team and that's only useful if you know where to find them and no one else can help

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Putin: "Get me the Z team"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

you are describing the A-Team and that's only useful if you know where to find them and no one else can help

Yes? And??

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

If anything in Russia's military is properly funded and maintained it would be their sub-launched nuclear deterrent. It above everything else is what guarantees themselves a second strike capability in a decapitation strike scenario and therefore is what guarantees the existence of a continued sovereign Russian state more than anything else. Every other piece of equipment might have been grafted off to pay for a dacha but it would be a dreadful mistake to assume the same of the SLBM-capable submarine fleet at the very least. For any nuclear capable state, that will be the absolute last part of the machine to rot away from corruption and Russia isn't nearly there yet. For context the USSR dissolved and the submarine fleet was so well maintained that they didn't realize anything had happened until the news and new orders were received after surfacing due to protocol about being contactable. It took several days for all the nuclear subs to be contacted and informed of the USSR's replacement by the Russian Federation. The Soviet cosmonauts in space were aware of the fall of the USSR before the nuke sub crews were due to how well they maintained crew discipine and protocol. This was the case while other parts of the Soviet war machine were literally in arms against the government and firing on the Duma, throughout all of that the sub crews were the picture perfect representation of professionalism and discipline.

I think this is logical and probably the case, but think of the inverse situation from a grifters point of view. This is a capability that will never be tested, and if used, you and everyone you know will be dead anyway - why inspect and test the tamper chemistry (or whatever), that's expensive and it's probably fine!

I'm not sure how well it applies to submarine maintenance side of things (Kursk notwithstanding) but for the missiles/warheads both at sea and on land with no dual-use, it seems like grifting would be high-stakes, but high reward. It would not surprise me at all if it's the same situation as the rest of the soviet era equipment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would be very easy to track resale of plutonium, is my understanding. If there is grifting it's probably more slacking on maintenance and keeping the difference between "a good job" and "a new coat of paint."

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

HonorableTB posted:

If Russia uses a nuclear weapon in Ukraine then NATO will get involved kinetically and destroy what's left of Russia's army using conventional weaponry

https://www.reuters.com/world/russian-nuclear-strike-would-almost-certainly-draw-physical-response-nato-2022-10-12/

Russia is loud about the use of nukes because they are one of the few countries that openly incorporates tactical nuclear weaponry into its land battle doctrine. Dating back to the Soviet Union this has been the case

https://nuke.fas.org/guide/russia/d...al%20munitions.

Read this for more info

Russians have exagerated or straight up made up capabilities on absolutely all parts of their military b-b-but not the NOOOOKS!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bone Crimes posted:

I think this is logical and probably the case, but think of the inverse situation from a grifters point of view. This is a capability that will never be tested, and if used, you and everyone you know will be dead anyway - why inspect and test the tamper chemistry (or whatever), that's expensive and it's probably fine!

I'm not sure how well it applies to submarine maintenance side of things (Kursk notwithstanding) but for the missiles/warheads both at sea and on land with no dual-use, it seems like grifting would be high-stakes, but high reward. It would not surprise me at all if it's the same situation as the rest of the soviet era equipment.

A bigger thing about grifting away the nukes is a matter of customer: who would you "safely" be able to sell a grifted nuclear warhead to and survive long enough to enjoy your ill-gotten wealth? The amount of actors that could reasonably buy a grifted warhead or anything of the sort is a short enough list that there's no possible way you'd ever be able to get away with it.

Viller posted:

Russians have exagerated or straight up made up capabilities on absolutely all parts of their military b-b-but not the NOOOOKS!

The reason they go to the threat well with nukes is because it is advantageous to remind everyone of their existence - not as a real threat but to remind the west of the deterrent effect they have. The quickest way to loving around and finding out is to bluff about your nukes working when they don't, that's not a bluff you as a nation can survive if called. Again let me point out that the Soviet Union as a nation-state entity disintegrated around the nuclear forces and while the Red Army was engaged in a coup, the professionalism of the strategic missile forces never suffered or degraded.

Russian nuclear capabilites are extremely known quantities because neither the Russians nor the US have significantly bothered to upgrade or modernize nuclear forces beyond the required maintainence and upkeep. You don't need to modernize much when you're throwing around multiple megatons per warhead in a MIRV

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 12, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Putin: "Get me the Z team"

Wacky sidekick is this thing

Bleep blyat

https://youtu.be/P_CDu1hYXxk?si=PCbTfZsic7SLoe0V

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

HonorableTB posted:

A bigger thing about grifting away the nukes is a matter of customer: who would you "safely" be able to sell a grifted nuclear warhead to and survive long enough to enjoy your ill-gotten wealth? The amount of actors that could reasonably buy a grifted warhead or anything of the sort is a short enough list that there's no possible way you'd ever be able to get away with it.

The reason they go to the threat well with nukes is because it is advantageous to remind everyone of their existence - not as a real threat but to remind the west of the deterrent effect they have. The quickest way to loving around and finding out is to bluff about your nukes working when they don't, that's not a bluff you as a nation can survive if called. Again let me point out that the Soviet Union as a nation-state entity disintegrated around the nuclear forces and while the Red Army was engaged in a coup, the professionalism of the strategic missile forces never suffered or degraded.

Russian nuclear capabilites are extremely known quantities because neither the Russians nor the US have significantly bothered to upgrade or modernize nuclear forces beyond the required maintainence and upkeep. You don't need to modernize much when you're throwing around multiple megatons per warhead in a MIRV

I still bet their poo poo don't work. Also, if they do Counter-Force then the red states go away, win-win!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HonorableTB posted:

You might be able to sell a small amount to countries starting their nuclear weapons programs, but no one in their right mind would want to be dependent on Honest Gregor the Plutonium Dealer any more than they had to. Any non-state actor willing to obtain nuclear weapons seems like they might just go ahead and kill you and take their money back for Phase 4 of the plan.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
While it's amusing to think that Poland might acquire more HIMARS than the U.S. Army, I think the 486 number is for the modules containing the rockets that they swap in and out of the vehicle to reload.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/02/07/us-clears-poland-to-buy-himars-and-ammo-worth-10-billion/

So, like 20 HIMARS or whatever, with lots of reloads.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I still bet their poo poo don't work. Also, if they do Counter-Force then the red states go away, win-win!

If they do counterforce you lose Washington State, most of California, and western Oregon without even including the C2 centers in blue states like Raven Rock (Maryland) and NORAD (Colorado). The hardened silos are in the Badlands and Plains (both Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas) but the headquarters base for half the US Navy boomer subs is Bremerton, WA a short 45 minute ferry ride away from Seattle :v: and in California you've got Vandenburg which is a space launch and early warning detection facility, and lots more behind those two

Nessus posted:

You might be able to sell a small amount to countries starting their nuclear weapons programs, but no one in their right mind would want to be dependent on Honest Gregor the Plutonium Dealer any more than they had to. Any non-state actor willing to obtain nuclear weapons seems like they might just go ahead and kill you and take their money back for Phase 4 of the plan.

Exactly. You can't grift too much away from the nukes because 1) there's not much that's griftable in the first place and 2) selling it to anyone risks a hellfire missile to your face as soon as any security service worth its salt catches wind of it

Edit: I'm not worried about nukes in any case because of where I live. I'd be vaporized instantly between the two major metro areas of Seattle and Tacoma, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Bremerton Naval Base, the strategic industry of Boeing, Hanford nuclear power plant, and the shipping capacity of the Puget Sound ports. I'm so nuked it's unreal and simply not worth giving any consideration to because of how futile it is lol. So many warheads are aimed at my balls that I would cease being biology and start being physics

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 12, 2023

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not saying they'd sell the warheads or fissile materials, I'm saying they'd sell the test equipment, replace worn-out components with cheaper alternatives, delay retrofits, hire the cheapest workers, etc. All the things around the edges, that will degrade reliability, but with deniability. Again, I'm not saying it's for sure, but all the arrows (the Moskva report, comms situation, Kinzal's lack of hypersonic maneuvering, recent space issues) are pointing in one direction, that things are all heading downhill. You have to be open to the possibility that nukes are similar.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Tai posted:

No one is nuking anyone.

Tell that to willo

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Nessus posted:

Whatever his ultimate reputation, he definitely broke his army's dick doing this poo poo. I suppose if they are able to reconstitute and reconstruct it, it will probably be a better force pound per pound, but how much military can Russia afford?
I'm waiting for them to start losing more states.

Also, cool puppeteer avatar, I always pictured them like Barlowe did in his guide to extraterrestrials.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

like Raven Rock (Maryland)
Pennsylvania but close to MD. Locals call it site R

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Curly Shuffle posted:

While it's amusing to think that Poland might acquire more HIMARS than the U.S. Army, I think the 486 number is for the modules containing the rockets that they swap in and out of the vehicle to reload.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/02/07/us-clears-poland-to-buy-himars-and-ammo-worth-10-billion/

So, like 20 HIMARS or whatever, with lots of reloads.

Boo, I wanted Poland to have all the HIMARS.
:byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

kru posted:

Tell that to willo

We did, he's fine now.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
And you have to understand that 40 is as much of a deterrent as 400 or 4000. It's a semantic conversation. Whether or not they can end the whole world they can end definitely end it for millions of people and dozens of cities.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm not saying they'd sell the warheads or fissile materials, I'm saying they'd sell the test equipment, replace worn-out components with cheaper alternatives, delay retrofits, hire the cheapest workers, etc. All the things around the edges, that will degrade reliability, but with deniability. Again, I'm not saying it's for sure, but all the arrows (the Moskva report, comms situation, Kinzal's lack of hypersonic maneuvering, recent space issues) are pointing in one direction, that things are all heading downhill. You have to be open to the possibility that nukes are similar.

I get what you're trying to say but the argument falls flat for me because you're constantly comparing it to Russia's conventional weaponry not meeting the hype. Yeah, you're right, Russia's military is insanely corrupt and their equipment is a bunch of poo poo. Yet they're still fighting a full scale war that will enter its third year in five months with that army and causing unimaginable destruction and suffering for Ukraine with it.

Even if their nukes are in the same dilapidated state you are still talking about thousands of warheads that will still work as required. The scale of nuclear warfare is an entire degree of magnitude away from what anyone here is familiar with. No nuclear state needs multiple thousands of warheads for deterrence. You fire off as many as you do in a general nuclear strike because you know that no matter how many fail to launch or detonate on their launch pads or get shot down by missile defense or fail to explode in descent that it doesn't matter, your target will still get destroyed if a single warhead lands in the same zip code. You're dealing with megatons at the strategic level, not kilotons that are typically used in tactical yields. And even then the average tac-nuke in Russia's arsenal is 25 to 50 kilotons of yield. For reference, Fat Man was 20kt and Little Boy was about 23kt.

the popes toes posted:

Pennsylvania but close to MD. Locals call it site R

Ope thanks for the correction, they're so close on the map :ohdear:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Cartoon Man posted:

Boo, I wanted Poland to have all the HIMARS.
:byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie: :byetankie:

Fair, but imagine a battery with like 5 reloads each just sending all of it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1701312074893201809#m
Is having such porous security on your military bases safe? asking for an angry monkey with a long table

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ride To Hell Retribution solved this by having a DLC mission where you recover a stolen nuclear bomb by insane hippies and then you drive the nuke on a truck down a road, without even throwing a blanket over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQ032QPm_Y&t=1708s

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, the grifting would be more like "Here's a $10 million contract for maintenance" and then spending 2 million on maintenance and 8 million on dacha.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
The issue with nukes is that they need to be constantly refreshed with nuclear material. Tritium has a half-life of about 12 years and you need that to build anything bigger than a WW2 bomb. This is assuming that a trigger with a longer half-life hasn't been discovered.

It would be easier for the generals to pocket the money for refurbishment while the guys in the bunkers rip out the copper in the rockets. No one will be selling fissile material Silk Road 11 unless they want to get a visit from a bunch of very angry people.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Tai posted:

No one is nuking anyone.

Except for Willo’s balls which have have an entire MIRV aimed directly at them

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nessus posted:

If there is grifting it's probably more slacking on maintenance and keeping the difference between "a good job" and "a new coat of paint."
Not nuke grifting but grifing nonetheless
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1701335251111309769
As well as Timofeev, another officer – one of the commanders of the unit in which tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers were stored – was likewise arrested and charged.

Such instances of corruption have had very serious consequences for Russia's war effort. Large amounts of stored military equipment were found to be essentially useless, having been stripped of components, wiring and anything else of value. /end

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Well surely no one's ever going to actually use a mothballed T55 again, right? Right??

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

HonorableTB posted:

If they do counterforce you lose Washington State, most of California, and western Oregon without even including the C2 centers in blue states like Raven Rock (Maryland) and NORAD (Colorado). The hardened silos are in the Badlands and Plains (both Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas) but the headquarters base for half the US Navy boomer subs is Bremerton, WA a short 45 minute ferry ride away from Seattle :v: and in California you've got Vandenburg which is a space launch and early warning detection facility, and lots more behind those two

Exactly. You can't grift too much away from the nukes because 1) there's not much that's griftable in the first place and 2) selling it to anyone risks a hellfire missile to your face as soon as any security service worth its salt catches wind of it

Edit: I'm not worried about nukes in any case because of where I live. I'd be vaporized instantly between the two major metro areas of Seattle and Tacoma, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Bremerton Naval Base, the strategic industry of Boeing, Hanford nuclear power plant, and the shipping capacity of the Puget Sound ports. I'm so nuked it's unreal and simply not worth giving any consideration to because of how futile it is lol. So many warheads are aimed at my balls that I would cease being biology and start being physics

Bangor WA is where the boomers hang out and is about an extra 25 mins away from Bremerton which makes it totally secure. There are signs on the few roads near the base perimeter that tell you to stay in your car if you break down and wait for a soldier to approach you. Exiting the vehicle could result in getting sniped. It's pretty wild to think that world ending weapons of war regularly sail below the Hood Canal bridge without anyone noticing.

But yeah if the nukes fly I'm right there with you in getting vaporized in the first strike due to proximity to Joint Base Lews McChord. :cheers:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Bangor WA is where the boomers hang out and is about an extra 25 mins away from Bremerton which makes it totally secure. There are signs on the few roads near the base perimeter that tell you to stay in your car if you break down and wait for a soldier to approach you. Exiting the vehicle could result in getting sniped. It's pretty wild to think that world ending weapons of war regularly sail below the Hood Canal bridge without anyone noticing.

But yeah if the nukes fly I'm right there with you in getting vaporized in the first strike due to proximity to Joint Base Lews McChord. :cheers:

We have a Bangor ME that seems very similar.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

EorayMel posted:

Ride To Hell Retribution solved this by having a DLC mission where you recover a stolen nuclear bomb by insane hippies and then you drive the nuke on a truck down a road, without even throwing a blanket over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQ032QPm_Y&t=1708s

IS THAT A MUTHERFUCKIN' BEST FRIENDS REFRENCE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

HonorableTB posted:

:haibrow: I live in San Diego. Unless Ronald Reagan-class carriers have a previously unknown, 100% unerring ballistic missile intercept system, it'll be over instantly. Even with six hours of warning I couldnt fight past the other 2 million+ people in San Diego (not withstanding LA and Riverside people who'd all be fleeing in the same direction) to get anywhere that is appreciably safer or less nuked.