Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That was it exactly, thanks! Not related but I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that they walked back the ship spawning RNG change they added in the latest patch, was that true?

Patch 4.43 said it addressed it, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The patch let me finish the expo legit so yay to that. Apparently my exotic creature thing was also bugged (I scanned some creatures that I thought were exotic but it didn't tick down, I just assumed though those weren't actually exotic and did not know that I was in fact in the middle of another bug) so that wrapped up pretty fast too, thanks to the community. I liked the expo, I hope they do another one like this just maybe without the bugs lol.

After that I was determined to get my staff and after an hour of warping and doing things in guides that did not work, I finally started save editing to try to get the mission to pop. But while it is easy enough to edit a mission in progress, it seems like adding a mission is a really bad idea, so I decided to just go over the steps of the mission and start adding tech and seeing if that would do it.

It did indeed seem to work, adding the harmonic scanner and then warpinig caused the hacking event and gave me the mission so now I can hopefully complete it and get my walking stick.

d0grent posted:

why is my mouse controlling so janky in this game?

and why do I feel like the camera is way too zoomed in in first person view?

I think you can adjust some things in the visuals to fix this a bit if you're playing on PC.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yes, disable mouse smoothing, raise FOV from 75 to 90 and change flight control from tethered to locked, those 3 are really important.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

What's the best thing in the log to focus on in the beginning stages of the game? I played mostly on release and then a little bit more on the first big update but not really any since then and the amount of new stuff is kind of overwhelming.

I've just come back after a couple years and started a new save. I'm almost done with the base missions, the passwords ones are totally finished and I'm deep in the time gated ones. But are there good guides for everything that's happening in the game now?

General questions:

Is there any scanner mod I can slap in my multitool that shows me the location of unscanned items?

Do sentinals ever stop spawning when I attack them, or is running away the only option to end a fight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Running away is best. With the new addition of being able to divert more power to engines, even at basic you can outrun them easily.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Soonmot posted:

Do sentinals ever stop spawning when I attack them, or is running away the only option to end a fight.

On foot, if you're ballsy or geared enough, killing 5 waves of them will deactivate them for the planet you're on until you leave/log out, and also point you at the nearest sentinel pillar where you can turn them off by hand for the same effect

in general, though, the fastest way is to run away since a 1-star rating only takes ~10 seconds of hiding to fall off

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve tried hiding recently, but it doesn’t seem to go away any more??

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I've seen that bug sometimes, if you kill a wave and get the "hide or run" reinforcement timer, that seems to kick the "they can't find you" timer into working again

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

The_Doctor posted:

I think that it goes away if you block of your hideaway tunnel behind you with the terrain manipulator.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

On foot, if you're ballsy or geared enough, killing 5 waves of them will deactivate them

This is really the best. Get a blaze javelin with the 5 second stun and a shotgun. You can blast drones out of the sky about as fast as you can close with them using the shotgun. Stunlock walkers with periodic blaze javelin shots, then swap to the shotgun to clear any drones supporting them. The dogs type ones are actually the most difficult, because they seem glitchy and shots don't register with them. But if you get close and dump shotgun blasts into their face, they die like anything else.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
okay cool, I was worried it was just unending waves if I wanted to fight it out. Nothing to do about scanning stuff except to hope I stumble across the minerals/plants? At least for animals, I have basic information given.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When I was doing the autophage event, I had one of the dudes appear on a map with malicious-rated sentinels and they would not unspawn even hiding underground for 5 minutes and one actually followed me in there which I've never had happen before. I hope y'all are right that it's a bug because it's annoying.

Soonmot posted:

okay cool, I was worried it was just unending waves if I wanted to fight it out. Nothing to do about scanning stuff except to hope I stumble across the minerals/plants? At least for animals, I have basic information given.

Not really. Once in a while a pop up comes up in the bottom right corner that tells you how much stuff is out there but I don't know what to do to make it appear (I guess it's on the discovery page but I hate going there).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

When I was doing the autophage event, I had one of the dudes appear on a map with malicious-rated sentinels and they would not unspawn even hiding underground for 5 minutes and one actually followed me in there which I've never had happen before. I hope y'all are right that it's a bug because it's annoying.

I got stomped by something through a tunnel ceiling one time, I think it's terrain glitches.

The best way to evade them is a tunnel with a 90 degree corner, hide around the corner and they won't find you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean there's 100% been some recent change, I'm just not sure if it was intentional or not (probably not).

It used to be a taken-for-granted thing that if you went after a planetary factory that you had to blow the door off of, "walking into the building" was sufficient to make everything lose track of you and by the time you finished what you were doing the sentinels had already lost track of you. At some point that become less consistent-- not in the sense that "it doesn't work" because it totally does, but there's the same apparent correlation of sentinels not being able to see you but also not properly triggering the "they can't find you" timer to start counting down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean there's 100% been some recent change, I'm just not sure if it was intentional or not (probably not).

It used to be a taken-for-granted thing that if you went after a planetary factory that you had to blow the door off of, "walking into the building" was sufficient to make everything lose track of you and by the time you finished what you were doing the sentinels had already lost track of you. At some point that become less consistent-- not in the sense that "it doesn't work" because it totally does, but there's the same apparent correlation of sentinels not being able to see you but also not properly triggering the "they can't find you" timer to start counting down.

Yeah, this happened to me a couple of days ago, and then later digging a tunnel and covering it over again didn’t work either. It might have been a glitch for that particular session. I’ve since closed the game so I might try again soon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've avoided Sentinels by just digging a hole as recently as yesterday

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I’ve found the multitool cloaking device to be pretty reliable way to run out the last seconds on any given wanted star without having to go through the whole rigamarole of digging an intricate tunnel network or paying close attention to line-of-sight and occlusion

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a friend of mine has written an article reviewing the very best toilets in No Man's Sky

https://whynowgaming.com/to-boldly-go-ranking-the-best-toilets-in-no-mans-sky/

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has there been any indication they might do the old expeditions again?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Hopper posted:

Yes, disable mouse smoothing, raise FOV from 75 to 90 and change flight control from tethered to locked, those 3 are really important.

It cannot be overstated how much these tips, plus bumping mouse sensitivity up to about 35% has improved the game in every way. Thanks!

I’ve been making my way pretty slowly through a new game for the first time in many years. I didn’t realize how much I needed Relaxed Mode. It’s the perfect amount of bullshit removal for me. 8 hours in and I’m ready to leave my second system, and right before I was getting ready to go I found a sweet A class solar sailer with a few more cargo and tech slots than my starter ship for only like 2M units. The difference in maneuverability from the starter ship is astonishing. It’s like a sports car. After all the updates this game has got it’s finally clicked for me in a big way. It’s been kinda hard to turn off.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

How in Cheesus Crust's name am I supposed to use the galactic map? Maybe I haven't been to enough systems yet (only two,) but it's like trying to thread a needle with steel wire between a dozen junk-yard electro magnets!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yes it is very bad. You can set routes for things like mission goals or the galactic core but you have no reason to actually follow those routes since they are one system hop at a time and you will certainly have more jump range than needed to skip most hops. This only serves to give you a general direction to aim at when trying to get somewhere. You can't search for specific things you know the name of but don't have a mission goal for, and you can't filter it in any way, so if you were looking for specific features in a system (e.g. you want dissonant+pirate, or some other combination of system features) you have to manually hunt for it. I'm pretty sure this was a design decision to make you feel like the universe is very big and you are very small etc but in practice it's super annoying to never get any utility out of maps.

Related: No planetary map. Again this feels like a design decision because clearly there is a map, it's even shown to you from time to time, but no you can't use it in the way a normal person would use it. For me at least it really rubbed in the proc-gen nature of everything because you're never allowed to have a sense of place and any place is pretty much like any other, within some broad parameters, so it's hard to give a poo poo about your where-ness.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The only coordinates worth a drat are specifically glyphs, and I think they've come around to admitting that because the most recent patch added a thing where planets you bookmark have the glyphs for the place shown explicitly

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah I get annoyed when I want to go to a specific planet in the system and I just have to remember what it looks like, then swivel around in space til I see it. Just let me open a system map and select it as a target!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm honestly avoiding the space ship part of the game, and just travelling by teleport unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm honestly avoiding the space ship part of the game, and just travelling by teleport unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

:chloe:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Starfield has made me appreciate NMS so much more

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Loading into my expedition save still instantly crashes the game on PS5. :mad: I'm hosed if I have to start this thing all over again.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hopper posted:

I've done all 3 of these and still my mouse is janky as hell. It's like if I move it at a constant speed, it will alternate between really slow and REALLY fast instant jumps where my character turns 90 degrees in a split second.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

inscrutable horse posted:

Same, unless I'm exploring or heading towards the center of the galaxy. I've got bases in good locations in a bunch of different systems, I can get what ever resources I need from at least one of them, and use their teleporters to smuggle goods/arms/whatever for nanites

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If space combat is what you're avoiding you may not be aware there's an aimbot key you can just hold down that trivializes all that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Starfield has made me appreciate NMS so much more

it feels like an earlier version of nms with a handful of ultra generic bethesda cities and towns added to it, and with much more limited space flight. not that nms space flight is great, but its better than it used to be anyway.

however it does have one feature ive always wished nms had which is the ship builder. unfortunately the pool of styles you can choose from is pretty minimal and bland, but its something. even being able to just repaint it is nice.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

For me it's not so much the combat, which is quite... OK. It's the utter crapshoot of navigating anywhere on a scale larger than, say, a 1000 unit radius around your base. All that wacky spacetech, but no functional maps

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm 25 hours in SF and I still dial in the sprint --> melee --> jetpack combo and get vertical and sad.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

If space combat is what you're avoiding you may not be aware there's an aimbot key you can just hold down that trivializes all that

?????? WHAT?!?!

Oh man that would make it way less annoying. Honestly the combat in the game is just like.. not great in general. I play very infrequently though so it's probably related to me just never getting better weapons despite asking in this thread multiple times

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They used to have the ability to set a waypoint/book mark on a planet, I think all the way up to when they added the log to your discoveries page a year or two ago.

It was pretty not great though. You had no way of knowing if you had been to any of the places in between so you could teleport there or near there. You had no choice but to select a path to the place in the starmap and go there one jump at a time. Which was pretty crazy if you went through a portal or a black hole. In the days where you couldn’t just teleport back to your base (or another early period where you could teleport there but your ship didn’t come with you) you could end up hundreds of jumps away from it.

It sucked. But also it was kind of fun to go on that long journey once it was over, if your brain is sick such as mine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

?????? WHAT?!?!

Oh man that would make it way less annoying. Honestly the combat in the game is just like.. not great in general. I play very infrequently though so it's probably related to me just never getting better weapons despite asking in this thread multiple times

for ground combat you have to manually aim but yeah in space, you can just hold S to automatically track whatever target is locked and it will lead your guns as appropriate

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

for ground combat you have to manually aim but yeah in space, you can just hold S to automatically track whatever target is locked and it will lead your guns as appropriate

Install space shotgun -> press aimbot button -> mash fire key -> explode pirates

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The cyclotron ballista is nice because it cuts their engines and does extra shield damage so you can one two them with the rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any advantage to doing all the sidequest hiring the those guys for weapons, science etc on my base or should I just buy all those recipes? The quests seem to take forever