Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Framboise posted:

Play to Win has become my favorite people to watch/listen to as of late. They're not the best at what they do and they misplay every now and then, and I don't agree with their takes all the time either, but it's nice to watch chill dudes play and talk about cEDH without being obnoxious/elitist tryhards about it. They just always seem to be putting having a good time over everything else and that's a vibe I can get behind.

I love Play to Win, they're always willing to admit when they botch something in a video then have a laugh about it and have great vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I watched the most recent Commander at Home and it checked a lot of boxes. I got to learn new-to-me cards, re-familiarize myself with card interactions, and enjoy the game. Also Kibler is a friendly face I recognize. I’m going to keep checking out additional recs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh, and not necessarily EDH centric, but everyone should sub to Cardmarket's YouTube channel because it's great

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
The Worst Possible Commander Show is my favorite. Feels most like a casual friend group game like I'm used to, versus like game knights presented by wotc

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The Quintessential MTG guys actually seem like they’re having fun playing the game which is surprisingly uh.. lacking in some of the bigger channels.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i also like when we get peeks into what the magic scene in singapore is like whenever they talk about it, i always like hearing about that kind of thing in not-NA/EU locations

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Guess I don’t know all the details, but why couldn’t wizards just take over commander rules?

Is there a copyright in edh or something owned by the rc? Couldn’t they just print a banlist of their choice in each commander product?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can't take over the RC, but they can do that if they want to. Sure.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

checkplease posted:

Is there a copyright in edh or something owned by the rc? Couldn’t they just print a banlist of their choice in each commander product?

I'm not an IP subject matter expert, just a guy who is curious about this stuff, so I might be wrong about what I'm about to say. Copyright probably doesn't matter; they didn't create the name so they don't hold the copyright on that three word phrase and you almost certainly can't copyright a single word (Commander). On the other hand, trademarks might. They probably can't trademark something with Highlander in the name because that's a already movie and television franchise, which is what the name is clearly referencing. Now, they may have trademarked Commander for their cases, but that might be too short or broad or whatever. I believe that was why the format did have to undergo a name change for official purposes, since it's fine if some rando fans want to reference it but less so for a big corporation.

The real thing is more of a Morpheus meme of "What if I tell you that no one can own a format?" Sure, they could theoretically say, "We're running the show now" and no one could prevent them from 'taking it in house' but there is no way to make people come under that roof. The RC could say, "Nah, we're doing our own thing" and it would be up to the fanbase to pick sides where the sides differed. In the last thread, when people would complain about the RC, I told them that it wasn't that the RC had particular power; this power was in everyone's hands and they just happened to be the ones who successfully popularized their fan format. To have a successful fan format, it's only agreement on format rules that matters, not who sets them. This means that anyone could theoretically take up the mantle of "EDH Antipope." For the uninitiated, an antipope is basically someone historically who has claimed the papacy in opposition to someone else who has claim to it. I just used the term because it was funny but later that year, we had the only true attempted format schism when Mitch the Traitor King lead his ill-fated attempt to wrest control from the RC in response to their chickenshit response to the TWD Secret Lair controversy. It failed mostly because he didn't plan his rebellion adequately.

So, in my opinion: Wizards won't try and take it in house because:
  • The RC presumably wants to continue fostering the format and will react negatively and publicly. As much as people might not love the RC, you have to imagine most would take the RC's side here, especially after the myriad of recent controversies (Magic 30, Pinkertons, etc).
  • Even if the RC is on side, some players might resist and create their own councils or splinter formats or whatever. If it has enough popularity, possibly from an MtG personalities like Prof or PK, then maybe a foothold could be made.
  • Even if the existing inertia cannot be overcome, what does Wizards propose to gain from all this? What would they possibly get out of Commander that they don't already have? It's the most popular format by a huge margin and they're creating Commander specific products for that exact audience. Paper Magic might be in deep poo poo without Commander, so why risk it?
Like, never say never, but it would be unwise and probably unsuccessful and unprofitable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since they don't run Commander prize events or anything they have little incentive to control the rules and ban list.

It keeps them arms length away from any problems people might have with those, so that idiots on the internet champion other people's deaths instead of theirs.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

What percentage of players are even aware the rc exists?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Aphrodite posted:

Since they don't run Commander prize events or anything they have little incentive to control the rules and ban list.

It keeps them arms length away from any problems people might have with those, so that idiots on the internet champion other people's deaths instead of theirs.

I think SCG recently had a cEDH tournament at one of their events that didn't allow proxies because it was an official event they were reporting to Wizards. And aren't Commandfests hosted by stores but official Wizards events?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ram dass in hell posted:

The Worst Possible Commander Show is my favorite. Feels most like a casual friend group game like I'm used to, versus like game knights presented by wotc

Do they only play with garbage commanders? Cause that's a concept I can get behind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've only seen a couple episodes but it seems like the theme is playing at least semi-dickish decks with people who won't object to it. At the beginning on the game they say what the worst thing the deck could do is.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do they only play with garbage commanders? Cause that's a concept I can get behind.

No they play a fair amount of spikey poo poo just usually not cedh levels. the name of their show is their segment for the rule 0 convo about hey if you see me do this it means I'm about to win

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a good way to approach rule zero

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Tarnop posted:

That's a good way to approach rule zero

Yeah it's much better than "7". Saying I am trying to assemble a X card combo with X redundancy and X tutors for said cards gives everyone a better understanding of what they are facing. But I imagine people like to keep their secrets to get any win percentage.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Had someone counter a Preston the Vanisher on Saturday because "that's a $30 card" (it's not). Mother of Machines had already been sent back to the Command Zone and my board consisted of lands, a Loyal Warhound, a Pearl Medallion, and a Spirited Companion. I had actually missed a bunch of land drops because I had mulled to five and I had two cards left in hand, one being a Restoration Angel. I just wanted to fetch more basics out of my deck, damnit.

Meanwhile, the Ruhan player to my left is fetching a land every turn Sword of the Animist and fetching equipment with Stonehewer Giant and I'm the only one using my sparse resources to keep sending Ruhan back to the Command Zone because nobody can threat assess worth a drat.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Had someone counter a Preston the Vanisher on Saturday because "that's a $30 card" (it's not). Mother of Machines had already been sent back to the Command Zone and my board consisted of lands, a Loyal Warhound, a Pearl Medallion, and a Spirited Companion. I had actually missed a bunch of land drops because I had mulled to five and I had two cards left in hand, one being a Restoration Angel. I just wanted to fetch more basics out of my deck, damnit.

Meanwhile, the Ruhan player to my left is fetching a land every turn Sword of the Animist and fetching equipment with Stonehewer Giant and I'm the only one using my sparse resources to keep sending Ruhan back to the Command Zone because nobody can threat assess worth a drat.

Magic: The Gathering - Commander/EDH Thread: nobody can threat assess worth a drat

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Magic: The Gathering - Commander/EDH Thread: nobody can threat assess worth a drat

it's true,

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

it's drat true

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

disaster pastor posted:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

I took apart my Lord Windgrace deck because everyone killed him on sight. He just draws me cards! Or is a five mana ramp spell. I built him because he's a cat! It'll be three turns before I can blow things up and make six tokens, something the Chatterfang player does every upkeep, come on.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think SCG recently had a cEDH tournament at one of their events that didn't allow proxies because it was an official event they were reporting to Wizards. And aren't Commandfests hosted by stores but official Wizards events?

The commandfests I've been to haven't allowed proxies and have said this is because anything you can get prize tickets from is a sanctioned event. That being said, I know plenty of ticketed cedh events that do allow proxies. I can only assume it's part and parcel of calling the event commandfest or something?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ram dass in hell posted:

No they play a fair amount of spikey poo poo just usually not cedh levels. the name of their show is their segment for the rule 0 convo about hey if you see me do this it means I'm about to win

I'd say they play a lot of incredibly powerful cards in service of some less than optimal deck strategies that often can't leverage advantage very well. It makes the games quite back and forth, I'm a fan

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'd say they play a lot of incredibly powerful cards in service of some less than optimal deck strategies that often can't leverage advantage very well. It makes the games quite back and forth, I'm a fan

yeah I think that's a fair characterization! they also range in experience levels in the game but I think generally CGB does a good job keeping the vibe casual while also being the table judge/trigger reminderer for the table. I think I've seen most of their episodes and i think like only 6 or 7 total players make an appearance.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://archidekt.com/decks/5357145/krenko_mob_baws

Managed to get in some games (casual-ish) with some friends over the weekend. My fiancee was piloting a Krenko deck I bought at my LGS a few years back fully ready to go nothing altered in it cause I had already played it a few times and it's goblins it's simple it's fun y'know? Well she plays it and she decided to take a hand that only had two Mountains in it because we all get greedy at times it happens whatever, but by like turn 8-9 still no land drops, a friend drops a Wheel, whole new grip, STILL NO LANDS, by this point the entire table is just like :wtc:, long story short game ends because Karona shenanigans but she had FOUR lands total for the entire game. Granted by that point she was able to get out a goblin that made poo poo cheaper and no one wanted to attack her since she wasn't doing anything so she made like 30 goblins but couldn't attack due to the Karona player being able to fully pillow fort themselves.

So today I finally was able to take apart the deck and see how many lands it has etc etc etc, 32 basics and a Field of Ruin. What do I need to cut and add to give this deck a more lean profile and have some sort of fetch land stuff, Myriad, Terramorphic Expanse, Sword of the Animist etc etc?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 12, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Managed to get in some games (casual-ish) with some friends over the weekend. My fiancee was piloting a Krenko deck I bought at my LGS a few years back fully ready to go nothing altered in it cause I had already played it a few times and it's goblins it's simple it's fun y'know? Well she plays it and she decided to take a hand that only had two Mountains in it because we all get greedy at times it happens whatever, but by like turn 8-9 still no land drops, a friend drops a Wheel, whole new grip, STILL NO LANDS, by this point the entire table is just like :wtc:, long story short game ends because Karona shenanigans but she had FOUR lands total for the entire game. Granted by that point she was able to get out a goblin that made poo poo cheaper and no one wanted to attack her since she wasn't doing anything so she made like 30 goblins but couldn't attack due to the Karona player being able to fully pillow fort themselves.

So today I finally was able to take apart the deck and see how many lands it has etc etc etc, 32 basics and a Field of Ruin. What do I need to cut and add to give this deck a more lean profile and have some sort of fetch land stuff, Myriad, Terramorphic Expanse, Sword of the Animist etc etc?

Some nerd wrote a whole bunch of words about optimal land count with some formulas:

code:
Number of lands for an 99-card deck, counting MDFCs partially 

= 99/60 * (19.59 + 1.90 * average mana value + 0.27) – 0.28 * number of cheap card draw or mana ramp spells - 1.35 

= 31.42 + 3.13 * average mana value of your spells – 0.28 * number of cheap card draw or mana ramp spells

Personally, I would cut the sword, Reforge the Soul, and Charbelcher and put two more Mountains in there as well as a Thousand-Year Elixir. Not sure how good Fling is either, and Lightning Bolt could probably be something else (maybe Chaos Warp). Deflecting Swat might be good to protect Krenko, but if that's too pricey, then maybe Bolt Bend if you can reasonably have a four power creature out most of the time. I like Endless Atlas in mono-color decks for repeatable card draw. I'd replace Field of Ruin with Demolition Field so you don't ramp the whole table if you deal with a problematic land.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean getting to run a bunch of basics is a strength of the deck, not sure you necessarily want to open yourself up to various stax/disruption pieces via fetch lands (especially when the thinning is going to be negligible)

there's also a bunch of stuff that could be quibbled about and/or cut (i.e. you probably don't want to run blaze), but honestly the creature base is more a matter of trimming/adjusting than wholesale revision and will be playgroup/budget dependent (i.e. Dockside is an obvious add but is also money if you're not printing/proxying and scales with playgroup power, Magus of the Moon is similar but less so), though there are also some good inexpensive options that could be added (off the top of my head Hobgoblin Bandit Lord, Pashalik Mons, Legion Warboss are all worthy of consideration)

the curve is honestly probably ok, the issue is really more number of mana sources, and I'd look into running more ramp/fast mana over additional lands - the deck would obviously benefit from the more busted cards available in the format, but you've got some very good budget options in the 2-mana rocks (Arcane Signet, Mind Stone, Felwar Stone) + discounters (Ruby Medallion, Hazoret's Monument - these are often worth more than a rock by letting you cheat multiple spells a turn and can be pretty explosive) + maybe something like treasure nabber

adding a few of those will help the deck cast its spells more consistently and have more explosive turns (and you can lean harder into this with more creature-rituals [battle hymn and the like] or combo-oriented stuff mana echoes/ashnod's altar)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I played some 5 player commander at the recent anime convention and got eliminate first, the other four players had precons and I suppose they feared my red-black dragon tribal reanimator. :haw:

It is not a very good dragon tribal reanimator but once I had like dragon tyrant with anger in the graveyard they got hella spooked! The price I pay for having a theme I guess!

The 1v1 with my sibling at the same convention was also really fun, although they force of willed me, which shocked me as its a meme in my edh group. "Do you respond?" "Yeah force of will, no of course not." and with my sibling they're responding and I'm like "What are you going to do force of will me?" and they're like "Yes actually" and was like, "WHAT!? FOR REAL!?" shocked pikachu face

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Personally, I would cut the sword, Reforge the Soul, and Charbelcher and put two more Mountains in there as well as a Thousand-Year Elixir. Not sure how good Fling is either, and Lightning Bolt could probably be something else (maybe Chaos Warp). Deflecting Swat might be good to protect Krenko, but if that's too pricey, then maybe Bolt Bend if you can reasonably have a four power creature out most of the time. I like Endless Atlas in mono-color decks for repeatable card draw. I'd replace Field of Ruin with Demolition Field so you don't ramp the whole table if you deal with a problematic land.

Swat is definitely outside my price range currently, Chaos Warp is already in there, Reforge yeah I could see it being cut cause how often are you going to see the miracle cost, Charbelcher I lean towards liking due to it being one of those janky cards that can be a hilarious wiff or a fun big hit. Elixir is a great idea that I saw used to great effect with Osgir over the weekend, maybe Pyroblast cause always hate on Blue. So no adding tapped fetches like Myriad Landscape, or Terramorphic Expanse, just more basics. I kept thinking of the shuffling factor to try and break up with mana costing clumps or land clumps.

LGD posted:

I mean getting to run a bunch of basics is a strength of the deck, not sure you necessarily want to open yourself up to various stax/disruption pieces via fetch lands (especially when the thinning is going to be negligible)

there's also a bunch of stuff that could be quibbled about and/or cut (i.e. you probably don't want to run blaze), but honestly the creature base is more a matter of trimming/adjusting than wholesale revision and will be playgroup/budget dependent (i.e. Dockside is an obvious add but is also money if you're not printing/proxying and scales with playgroup power, Magus of the Moon is similar but less so), though there are also some good inexpensive options that could be added (off the top of my head Hobgoblin Bandit Lord, Pashalik Mons, Legion Warboss are all worthy of consideration)

the curve is honestly probably ok, the issue is really more number of mana sources, and I'd look into running more ramp/fast mana over additional lands - the deck would obviously benefit from the more busted cards available in the format, but you've got some very good budget options in the 2-mana rocks (Arcane Signet, Mind Stone, Felwar Stone) + discounters (Ruby Medallion, Hazoret's Monument - these are often worth more than a rock by letting you cheat multiple spells a turn and can be pretty explosive) + maybe something like treasure nabber

adding a few of those will help the deck cast its spells more consistently and have more explosive turns (and you can lean harder into this with more creature-rituals [battle hymn and the like] or combo-oriented stuff mana echoes/ashnod's altar)

This is also very good to keep in mind, thanks!

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I forget what it's called but in my Torbran deck I'm always happy to see the enchantment that gives all mountains cycling. It lets you get away with a bit more of a comfortable land density

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

Cuts:
Fling
Tuktuk the Explorer
Shrieking Mogg
Guttersnipe
Purphoros, Bronze Blooded
Goblin Gardener
Sword of Vengeance
Field of Ruin
Goblin Charbelcher

Add:
Demolition Field
Fellwar Stone
Ruby Medallion
Wayfarer's Bauble
Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
Kazuul's Fury/Kazuul's Cliffs
Shatterskull Smashing/Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass
Valakut Awakening/Valakut Stoneforge
1 Mountain

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I forget what it's called but in my Torbran deck I'm always happy to see the enchantment that gives all mountains cycling. It lets you get away with a bit more of a comfortable land density

Tectonic reformation and yeah I’ve been pleased by it in my Krenko deck as well

Dark-Dweller Oracle also isn’t a world beater but serves a similar function in being a low cost way of letting you convert tokens into cards when the tokens aren’t getting it done alone

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hey, I want to put As Foretold in one of my decks, but I can't decide between two. Option A is my BUG Superfriends deck, which has proliferate stuff and would also let me use the 0 mana cost effect on the combat trigger, so it has good synergy. Option B is my Sphinx deck, which does not have synergy with AF so much as me staring at a mana curve that's a literal rectangle because of how beefy the mana cost for some of the good sphinxes is. It's basically synergy versus support and I'd be happy either way (and obviously could, like, buy a second eventually if i wanted, i just dont know which one to put the first one in now lol)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I run as foretold in my atraxa 1/1 counters deck and I feel like it would be way too slow without heavy proliferation. Even with how much I run in that deck it's a dead draw by like turn 6 or 7

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been thinking of making a Ob Nixilis deck. Too bad you can't use his New Capenna planeswalker version as Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking of making a Ob Nixilis deck. Too bad you can't use his New Capenna planeswalker version as Commander.

The one with casualty that would let you insta draw 7? I’m not shocked per se.