Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Clowner posted:

The more key part is just lots of rewards when she goes outside, and no reaction if she eliminates inside.

yeah people probably know this but it bears repeating, you really don't want to associate any kind of punishment in any context with their crate. aside from generally, you don't want to scold or punish them for doing toilet stuff indoors because the dog can make some bad conclusions (wow people don't like it when I pee, I need to hide it better/go when nobody's looking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Yup, I'm making a big positive fuss when she eliminates outside. She's a Cavalier King Charles, so she should learn pretty quick 🤞🏻

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Torgal in the Morning

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I had to say goodbye to my best friend, the best dog, who's been with me nearly my entire adult life. It has utterly destroyed me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enfys posted:

I had to say goodbye to my best friend, the best dog, who's been with me nearly my entire adult life. It has utterly destroyed me.

I am sorry, they sounded like a good dog.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

She was the best, and now she's gone and has taken my heart with her.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dogs weren’t here to stay forever — and they don’t really want that. They don’t fear death and they don’t seek immortality.

But they do make our hearts bigger and that’s a kind of forever. Honor her by passing on that love. You’re not alone, fellow goon. Hang in there :yaycloud:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Enfys posted:

Solidarity and love to you, your dog and your family. No doubt whatsoever that she was one of the lucky souls who got to live a happy life surrounded by love

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Enfys posted:

I'm sorry friend. I'm stuck in the same place.

If you don't have any printed photos, I really recommend finding some of the ones on your phone(s) that you really like and getting them printed so you have some permanent reminders around. Sounds kind of silly but it's nice to have that still around.

I got prints of a picture of Snowbell snoozing next to me when she was at the shelter and one of her curled up impossibly small for an 80 pound dog framed, one is by my bed and the other is on my desk. I might get a few more. It's really nice to just have physical reminders of the dog that she was around the house.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 30, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My sympathies, I am also still Going Through It over my little dog Darla and it's been more than 4 months now. They give you everything their whole lives and the best you can give them in return, after they go on ahead of you, is cherishing their memory. No amount of respect can be enough for a lifetime of loyal companionship and love.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve started using Pickwick as a feather duster by throwing his food under tables and playing ‘find it’. Find It might be the best game ever for lazy dog owners. It tires him out so much and he gets so excited AND it is great wait/stay practice while I hide the toy or food or whatever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve started using Pickwick as a feather duster by throwing his food under tables and playing ‘find it’. Find It might be the best game ever for lazy dog owners. It tires him out so much and he gets so excited AND it is great wait/stay practice while I hide the toy or food or whatever.

Brisket would make me get it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

puppy..... on the couch

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Woolly :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I warned you about the hair lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I normally don't like the doodle mustache but that one being a different color then the rest of the pup is adorable

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I warned you about the hair lmao

LOL yes you did... nothing kicked me into getting those clippers faster than his wet freaking beard all the time. i'll have to take a pic next time he's fresh from the groomers too, he looks the definition of soft

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Clowner posted:

My little girl has picked up her first (that we know of) inadvertently learned command! When I yell "babe" she goes and looks for my wife! When my wife yells "babe", my puppy will... Go and look for my wife! In other news, we've discovered who her favorite parent is! Terrible dog all around.

Puppy tax (her name is Coco and she's five months and change):

Haha, cute.

I admit I still get a little miffed about how I did the overwhelming majority of the work for our blessed gremlin, particularly at the start, yet Holly is welded to Mr Froglet.

neurotech posted:

Success. I got up about 2:30AM and puppy almost immediately pooed & peed outside, and then my wife was up at 6 and there was no mess in the crate. Hopefully after a few weeks of this she'll be good to hold it over night.

As time goes on you can stretch the wakeups out - I think we got it to one of us taking her out around 11pm then the other getting up at 4:30 or 5am (coz I did sometimes do both in the early days and crashed hard after a few days of it).

Also, as someone with a 10 week old baby - I reckon puppies are way harder. The one advantage of puppies is that shutting them in a cage overnight is a generally accepted practice. :v:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The other good thing about the "find it" game is how versatile it can be. I've used it as a distraction when Holly has gotten a hold of something she absolutely shouldn't have, as a way of redirecting her attention when she's honed in on something that might be dangerous while we're out walking, and also as a substitute for a recall - if she's off lead but close, "find it" is enough to lure her near me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So, Freja has surgery in 2 weeks time. Back at the vets for the follow up to the last appointment and she's stopped being sick for the most part, which is great. We're going to have to manage that with medication full time but that's fine, she needs surgery on her eye though as the irritant seems to be her own eyelashes.

The eyelid is growing and curling inwards slightly and irritating her so we have to have some of it cut off.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

HootTheOwl posted:

I normally don't like the doodle mustache but that one being a different color then the rest of the pup is adorable

I love doodle beards/moustaches. That and his giant mitts are what I love most about Jarvis.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

froglet posted:

Haha, cute.

I admit I still get a little miffed about how I did the overwhelming majority of the work for our blessed gremlin, particularly at the start, yet Holly is welded to Mr Froglet.

Same. Mrs. Clowner is the "fun" parent, I guess, and I'm the taskmaster.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Welp, Kepler caught an armadillo in the backyard tonight. It took forever to get him to drop it. It was mostly dead by the time he did, so I took care of it and disposed of the carcass.

We cleaned Kepler's face and paws fairly well. We didn't notice any injuries except maybe some very small lacerations around his mouth.

He's up to date on his shots. I know armadillos can carry salmonella, so we'll watch out for tummy issues. Anything else specific to watch for?

Google is unhelpful, as ten different pages say ten different things.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Uh, armadillos can carry human leprosy from what I understand
E: yes that is a thing
https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/transmission/index.html

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 6, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flesh Forge posted:

Uh, armadillos can carry human leprosy from what I understand
E: yes that is a thing
https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/transmission/index.html

Okay. We washed the hell out of everything and nobody other than Kepler touched the armadillo, so we're probably okay. I'll report in if any limbs start falling off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If possible , it's probably a good idea to contact your doctor and get advice. Hopefully it'll just be "wash thoroughly and keep an eye out for these symptoms", but if more extreme action is warranted, you want to know sooner rather than later.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Saw a post on Reddit that pointed out that you can buy preventatives on the cheap from Australian retailers without a prescription and have them shipped to the US, all told still MUCH cheaper than what you can get at a US retailer. Like, 12 months of Simparica Trio from https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/ is ~$115, vs. close to $400 from Chewy. I checked around a few other Australian sites and the prices seem consistent. Has anyone done this? What's the catch, here? I'd love to save hundreds of dollars on this stuff but I'm a little suspicious

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

johnny park posted:

Saw a post on Reddit that pointed out that you can buy preventatives on the cheap from Australian retailers without a prescription and have them shipped to the US, all told still MUCH cheaper than what you can get at a US retailer. Like, 12 months of Simparica Trio from https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/ is ~$115, vs. close to $400 from Chewy. I checked around a few other Australian sites and the prices seem consistent. Has anyone done this? What's the catch, here? I'd love to save hundreds of dollars on this stuff but I'm a little suspicious

For the love of god I need to know this too.

That poo poo is expensive. I love my dog but shes pricy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If possible , it's probably a good idea to contact your doctor and get advice. Hopefully it'll just be "wash thoroughly and keep an eye out for these symptoms", but if more extreme action is warranted, you want to know sooner rather than later.

Of course almost all humans are immune to it and it's easily curable with antibiotics in the event that your family is in the unlikely set

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

For the love of god I need to know this too.

That poo poo is expensive. I love my dog but shes pricy.

I interrogated the guy a little and he said he's been doing it for years and hasn't had any issues, so I ordered that 12 months of Simparica Trio. I guess I'll report back if my dog dies

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

johnny park posted:

I interrogated the guy a little and he said he's been doing it for years and hasn't had any issues, so I ordered that 12 months of Simparica Trio. I guess I'll report back if my dog dies

Let me know if you get it. I need the 90lb+ stuff and it can be a bitch if they are out and I have to wait.

Also it’s stupid expensive.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I'm dog-sitting for my parents and have run into two, probably related problems. First, they told me it was "mostly housetrained." It's not housetrained at all. I'm following the advice in the first post, but any tips are appreciated. Second, it doesn't go on walks. Like, it won't set foot out the front door. Luckily, it will go in the backyard, but what do you do with a 4 or 5 month old puppy that won't go on walks??? It has so much energy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What kinda dog?

Edit: lots of treats.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

What kinda dog?

Edit: lots of treats.

Corgi/small terrier mix. All scruff and ears.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Need to clean my doggy’s eye gunk more. Been trying to do it weekly but seems should just do it like every 2-3 days just to stay on top of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I brush my dog's teeth every morning, and while he's busy licking the rest of the toothpaste out of the brush, I clear out his eye gunk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brennanite posted:

I'm dog-sitting for my parents and have run into two, probably related problems. First, they told me it was "mostly housetrained." It's not housetrained at all. I'm following the advice in the first post, but any tips are appreciated. Second, it doesn't go on walks. Like, it won't set foot out the front door. Luckily, it will go in the backyard, but what do you do with a 4 or 5 month old puppy that won't go on walks??? It has so much energy.

how much time do you have in the course of a day? because what you really ought to do is train the dog, for your own sake and for the dog's. house train them, teach them leash behavior, teach them how to go on walks. teach them how to play in ways that involve a lot of exercise and will give them something to spend energy on, tire them out. if you think you can leave an energetic puppy idle and just let time pass without incident you are going to have a rough time.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How long are you house/puppy sitting for?...

My dog is 5 months old and she goes on daily walks, 1 minimum for about 45 mins to an hour, sometimes 2 totaling about 1.5hours depending on factors like weather etc.

And she's a lazy breed, she would happily snooze on the sofa all day but she's learnt to enjoy walks and it's better for her health long term.

Last nights walk ended with a play session for like 8 dogs from the surrounding buildings so all she's done so far today is sleep and recover from last night's walk/playing.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

how much time do you have in the course of a day? because what you really ought to do is train the dog, for your own sake and for the dog's. house train them, teach them leash behavior, teach them how to go on walks. teach them how to play in ways that involve a lot of exercise and will give them something to spend energy on, tire them out. if you think you can leave an energetic puppy idle and just let time pass without incident you are going to have a rough time.

A lot. I was able to get her to walk around the house this morning on the leash with a handful of treats. I got her to chase a ball around yesterday. Today she's playing with the cat.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How long are you house/puppy sitting for?...

My dog is 5 months old and she goes on daily walks, 1 minimum for about 45 mins to an hour, sometimes 2 totaling about 1.5hours depending on factors like weather etc.

And she's a lazy breed, she would happily snooze on the sofa all day but she's learnt to enjoy walks and it's better for her health long term.

Last nights walk ended with a play session for like 8 dogs from the surrounding buildings so all she's done so far today is sleep and recover from last night's walk/playing.

Another week. I'm hoping I can at least get her properly housetrained and willing to walk the length of the block on a leash in that time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My girlfriend has been really worried about these sores she's seeing in her puppy's mouth:

Reading the OP maybe they're puppy warts? They don't have that cauliflower look. You can see the white spot on the right and then there's a red spot on the bottom gum. The puppy is 5 months old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That’s a trip to the vet.